ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Brilliant Light Power , free energy , Randell Mills

Old 19th May 2017, 01:30 PM   #721
halleyscomet
Philosopher

Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post
October 1992. Mills cells have been running well for 6 months...even when run by others...

Apparently the continuous 4X to 10X power ratio was not good enough to show the world back in 1992. Yet we still had the promise of big things soon.

We are coming up on 25 years since Mills and others flat out said that they had Mills cells running continuously at a 4X to 10X ratio.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ebate-heats-up
http://www.academia.edu/30059492/Thermacore

That's a report from Thermacore on these wonderful cells, but again we see that Mills is involved and the report reads as if the writers are believers in Mills.

Interestingly, this report from 1994 says the cells are not ready for commercial use at all, and need to be made better by a factor of 10 to 100. This is well after the 1991 claims of continuous 4X to 10X power outputs.

Apparently the military actually needed the thing to work...

if they were at 4X to 10X in 1991, I guess they needed to be at 40X to 1000X to be commercially viable in 1994...
http://omael.com/!_HydroPlasmol_Tele...c-Hydrogen.pdf

Another report from Thermacore. There's no date, but we can tell it's from prior to 1994, as it references the upcoming 1994 report.

It makes an odd claim of 41 watts of heat output from 5 watts of electricity input with operation for over a year.
Hmmm. Where is that hardware now? Why isn't Mills selling it so his investors can start making money hand over fist while Mills continues to refine the device?

markie? Got an answer for that?

michaelsuede? Can you ask Mills about that tech and what became of it? Why is he unable to sustain the reaction now when he was able to easily sustain the reaction for over a year WAAAAY back in the 1990's? Did he lose a 20-year-old notebook that had all the secrets?

Last edited by halleyscomet; 19th May 2017 at 01:35 PM.
halleyscomet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th May 2017, 02:49 PM   #722
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ProgRokker View Post
I don't see a promise of imminent commercialization in that article. I do, however, see several mentions of independent validations of the claims.

My understanding is that the fuel cell prototype produced overunity of at least 40x and incredible power density, but that it was highly susceptible to corrosion. It was a design flaw that couldn't be overcome sufficiently so the team moved in the direction of the SunCell, which has no such issues.

How can anyone read that press release and gloss over the incredible parts (independent validation, obvious overunity, astonishing power claims, etc.)? I mean, if you're going to criticize it, at least focus on the facts rather than on some ethereal idea that if it's not commercialized within X number of days after the press release that means it's all a hoax.
You said that the reason that until the SunCell nothing Mills had produced had sufficient power density to be commercially viable. I then linked to an article from before the SunCell in which he claims to have a device that has several million times the power density of a device that already exists. How can that not have been sufficient power density?

You are now claiming that the power density was too high for the device to be commercially viable, which is the exact opposite of your earlier claim.
Old 19th May 2017, 02:54 PM   #723
JeanTate
Graduate Poster

A belated welcome, ProgRokker.

I've been following this thread for some time now and I'm just curious: have any of the skeptics actually watched BLP's Demonstration Days videos? Mills addresses many of the issues discussed here, including the progression of the prototypes leading up to the SunCell, which is the only device with sufficient power density to make commercialization viable.

If skeptics haven't watched the videos, I can only ask: why not? It can't be a matter of not having enough time, as it's clear they've got plenty of time to compose lengthy rebuttals to Markie, michaelsuede and other BLP proponents.

Another reference that goes into great detail about the lead-up to the SunCell is Brett Holverstott's "Randell Mills and the Search for Hydrino Energy" (available on Amazon). The book presents an insider's view of BLP and Mills and it chronicles the company's engineering successes and failures, with a very clear timeline illustrating how BLP arrived at the SunCell. With this information as background, the criticism that BLP has taken 20+ years to get to where it is now ("Well, if it's true, why isn't is *commercialized* by now?") is easily shown to be unfounded.

Besides, any student of history and science knows that revolutions don't happen overnight. Heck, the Wright brothers first flew in 1903 and made more than 150 flights during 1904-1905, but it wasn't until 1908 that the American press and scientific community took notice. Scientific American even argued in 1906 that, if it were true the Wrights had flown, reporters would have let the world know by then. Maybe they should have sent their own reporters out to cover the event?

A breakthrough in physics is far more subtle than flying in plain sight. 25 years from discovery to commercialization doesn't seem unreasonable to me.
For me, a key aspect has not been discussed in any of the posts since this one of yours, namely, the dangers of hydrinos in the environment and workplace.

Initially this was not something I considered much; lately it's become my main worry. With your extensive knowledge of all things Mills, BLP, and hydrinos, maybe you can help me? I certainly hope so.

Where can I find published reports, by truly independent actors, on the toxicity, mutagenicity, teratogenicity, etc of hydrinos, their compounds, and metabolites? What certificates, permits, etc does BLP/Mills have re the production of these, their control within the workplace, release to the environment, etc?

I've looked for answers to these questions (in the YT vids, among other places), but have found nothing so far.

I've become increasingly worried by this, as the realization that Mills' professional background is medical (not mathematics or physics) has sunk in; why does he appear so completely insensitive to/unaware of the potential implications of widespread dispersal of hydrinos in the environment if his plans for a free energy generator come true? (By the way, it seems the environmental costs associated with hydrinos have not been factored in to the various commercializations; they won't be negligible, just as radioactive byproducts are not a negligible cost to nuclear power plant operators).

You see, unlike everyone else who has posted to this thread (as far as I know), I actually live in NJ, closer to 493 Old Trenton Rd than to Manhattan. And I know a bit about NJ's sorry history re pollution (check out the history of PCBs, for some scary stuff, for example ... they were thought to be 100% safe once!).

What can you say, from your extensive research, about the safety of hydrinos, their compounds, and metabolites?
JeanTate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th May 2017, 03:33 PM   #724
markie
Muse

Originally Posted by halleyscomet View Post
Hmmm. Where is that hardware now? Why isn't Mills selling it so his investors can start making money hand over fist while Mills continues to refine the device?

markie? Got an answer for that?

michaelsuede? Can you ask Mills about that tech and what became of it? Why is he unable to sustain the reaction now when he was able to easily sustain the reaction for over a year WAAAAY back in the 1990's? Did he lose a 20-year-old notebook that had all the secrets?
As I've said before in this thread, a working prototype in the lab does not necessarily translate into a successful commercial product. And as I've said before, trying to bring to market the various devices Mills has had working in the lab, whether from the early 1990s or up to about 2014, would not have been financially responsible, given their limitations. The usual limitation was low power density. Who wants to buy a car sized device that can only pump out 100 watts from an input of 20 watts? And when the power density problem seemed to be overcome in the nickel powder device (tested at Rohan University) which produced burst heat, there was a problem with recovery and recycling of the catalyst. With the electrolytic CIHT fuel cell that came soon afterward - producing electricity directly and for months, they found that when they tried to increase the power density the cells suffered oxidative issues.

Enter the the SunCell, where the previous fundamental problems appear to be solved in principle. I expect other types of problems to arise as the device nears full functionality. But Mills is a problem solver by nature. If something is solvable, he'll do it.
markie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th May 2017, 03:46 PM   #725
markie
Muse

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
You said that the reason that until the SunCell nothing Mills had produced had sufficient power density to be commercially viable. I then linked to an article from before the SunCell in which he claims to have a device that has several million times the power density of a device that already exists. How can that not have been sufficient power density?

You are now claiming that the power density was too high for the device to be commercially viable, which is the exact opposite of your earlier claim.
The article you linked to about that high power density was referencing the same essential, explosive plasma reaction used in what is now called the SunCell. But in very early 2014 when it was first announced it was not yet called the SunCell, it was just called a 'sf CIHT' (solid fuel catalyst induced hydrino transition) reaction.
markie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th May 2017, 03:50 PM   #726
halleyscomet
Philosopher

Originally Posted by markie View Post
As I've said before in this thread, a working prototype in the lab does not necessarily translate into a successful commercial product. And as I've said before, trying to bring to market the various devices Mills has had working in the lab, whether from the early 1990s or up to about 2014, would not have been financially responsible, given their limitations. The usual limitation was low power density. Who wants to buy a car sized device that can only pump out 100 watts from an input of 20 watts? And when the power density problem seemed to be overcome in the nickel powder device (tested at Rohan University) which produced burst heat, there was a problem with recovery and recycling of the catalyst. With the electrolytic CIHT fuel cell that came soon afterward - producing electricity directly and for months, they found that when they tried to increase the power density the cells suffered oxidative issues.

Enter the the SunCell, where the previous fundamental problems appear to be solved in principle. I expect other types of problems to arise as the device nears full functionality. But Mills is a problem solver by nature. If something is solvable, he'll do it.

Do you have any manufacturing experience?
halleyscomet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th May 2017, 03:56 PM   #727
Hans
Philosopher

But Mills is a problem solver by nature. If something is solvable, he'll do it.
Is he now? I see little if ANY sign of that. He has not solved the problem of actually proving his little idea can do anything? How has he solved the problem of his being considered a fraud?
Hans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th May 2017, 03:58 PM   #728
Hans
Philosopher

As I've said before in this thread, a working prototype in the lab does not necessarily translate into a successful commercial product.
..markie have you ever read any of the BLP ads? What are they about pray tell?

I predict that in 22 months you'll be saying what you've been saying since the beginning - he 'gonna do it' but just not at the moment...lol

Last edited by Hans; 19th May 2017 at 04:00 PM.
Hans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th May 2017, 04:20 PM   #729
SezMe
post-pre-born

2. I'm funneling content back to a Creationist group I know who is convinced Hydrino theory is proof of God and a young universe. Being Creationists they're used to holding multiple contradictory ideas in their heads, so the internal inconsistency of the Mills theories shouldn't be a big problem for them. Thier working title is "Hydrino Science and the Bible"
From that link:
Quote:
The very atheist dogma that holds back the Mills theory is retarding the engineering of a hydrino based generator.
See, if Mills would just throw a little Jesus JuiceTM into his dome, he'd have it working in no time at all.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th May 2017, 04:48 PM   #730
SezMe
post-pre-born

Here is a "Notice of Exempt Offering of Securities" from BLP. It lists 8 "Related Persons" and their associated relationship to BLP. As I read it, it is offering employees an equity share in BLP. This is apparently an amendment to an ealier offering dated 2016-07-31 (which I have not tried to fine yet).

However, it states the total offering is $25 mil of which $10.3 mil has been sold. Does that mean that the equity that the principles have "earned" is $10.3 mil? If so, that's a LOT of back pay.

Finally, it indicates that a total of 26 people have invested in the offering.

I'll continue to see what else I can turn up.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th May 2017, 05:02 PM   #731
Matthew Cline
Muse

And as I've said before, trying to bring to market the various devices Mills has had working in the lab, whether from the early 1990s or up to about 2014, would not have been financially responsible, given their limitations.
So I guess the reason Mills had claimed imminent commercialization of the previous designs was that he has no financial sense?
Old 19th May 2017, 05:20 PM   #732
Hans
Philosopher

Originally Posted by SezMe View Post
From that link:

See, if Mills would just throw a little Jesus JuiceTM into his dome, he'd have it working in no time at all.
I think he is more in tune with that other fellow......
Old 19th May 2017, 05:30 PM   #733
jonesdave116
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Hans View Post
I think he is more in tune with that other fellow......
Oh, I don't know......
God said "Let there be light", and there wasn't light.
"Bugger", said God, "What's the hold up this time, Randy?"
Old 19th May 2017, 06:05 PM   #734
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Originally Posted by SezMe View Post
Here is a "Notice of Exempt Offering of Securities" from BLP. It lists 8 "Related Persons" and their associated relationship to BLP. As I read it, it is offering employees an equity share in BLP. This is apparently an amendment to an ealier offering dated 2016-07-31 (which I have not tried to fine yet).

However, it states the total offering is $25 mil of which $10.3 mil has been sold. Does that mean that the equity that the principles have "earned" is $10.3 mil? If so, that's a LOT of back pay.

Finally, it indicates that a total of 26 people have invested in the offering.

I'll continue to see what else I can turn up.
What? So they get money from outside investors, skim fifteen mill off the top and spread the balance back across the other 26 "investors"? If that's the case, no wonder they've never produced a working version of the device, there's no need for one. But I'm probably looking at this all wrong, aren't I?
Old 19th May 2017, 07:45 PM   #735
Myriad
Hyperthetical

My understanding is that the fuel cell prototype produced overunity of at least 40x and incredible power density, but that it was highly susceptible to corrosion. It was a design flaw that couldn't be overcome sufficiently so the team moved in the direction of the SunCell, which has no such issues.

I bet if you designed and built a wood-burning stove made out of wood, you too could report your device putting out more energy than the amount of energy in the fuel you loaded into it.

And I bet you'd also have reliability/durability problems. If you made a very massive one with a very low power density (a large slow-burning wooden wood stove, perhaps many tons in total mass), you could probably get it to operate stably producing that "excess" energy (at an impressive ratio but in unimpressively small absolute amounts) for a long time. Higher power density designs (small fast-burning wooden wood stoves) would instead produce even more impressive "bursts" or even "explosions" of power but not last very long. You could fiddle around endlessly with the chamber size, wall thickness, shape, wood varieties, construction methods, air intake rate, and so forth, trading off power for duration while fooling yourself and others that a breakthrough was just around the corner.

That scenario is remarkably similar to the series of not-quite-successes that Mills has had. I'm pretty sure his cells actually are higher-tech versions of wooden wood-burning stoves.

Last edited by Myriad; 19th May 2017 at 07:47 PM.
Myriad is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th May 2017, 09:17 PM   #736
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

I think I could probably make good use of a device that ran for only one year, or even 6 months, and gave me 10X out for 1X in, even at just 1kw.

One thing that pops into mind immediately is selling electricity to the grid.

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th May 2017, 10:04 PM   #737
Lukraak_Sisser
Master Poster

But a working prototype in the lab with low energy output DOES translate to immediate Nobel Prize and infinite funding. So why has he NOT shown the overunity device to the world?
I think I know the answer, but I would love to be proven wrong.

As for the wright brothers analogy made by Progrokker. Mills is not the Wright Brothers.
Mills is the guy claiming that all this fixed wing flight malarkey is nonsense as common sense shows that all things fly by flapping their wings. But he has deciphered the notes of Deadalus and figured out how to make humans fly. He just needs some funding to find a better adhesive, but he is JUST about ready to do so, while focussing all the discussion on the best type of feather to use.
Lukraak_Sisser is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th May 2017, 01:30 AM   #738
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Myriad View Post
I bet if you designed and built a wood-burning stove made out of wood, you too could report your device putting out more energy than the amount of energy in the fuel you loaded into it.

And I bet you'd also have reliability/durability problems. If you made a very massive one with... snip...

That scenario is remarkably similar to the series of not-quite-successes that Mills has had. I'm pretty sure his cells actually are higher-tech versions of wooden wood-burning stoves.
I think if people remember that he is trying to sell an overunity device a lot falls into place. All he has to solve is engineering out that "ignition" energy surfeit and he'll have cracked it. But of course he won't ever be able do that, just like all the other overunity enthusiasts and/or scammers over the years.
Old 20th May 2017, 05:28 AM   #739
sackett
Illuminator

Questions: How big is Mills's mansion? His yacht? His private 747? (Well, I guess we know the answer to that.) His trophy wife?

His lawyer? Nah, with his fast shuffle, he'll never be sued.

A further question: Am I being cynical enough?

What region of the earth is not filled with our calamities? -- Virgil
sackett is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th May 2017, 06:50 AM   #740
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

But Mills is a problem solver by nature. If something is solvable, he'll do it.
His history suggest the complete opposite; if something doesn't appear to have any problems, he'll come up with a few to string things out another few years.

Dave
Me: So what you're saying is that, if the load carrying ability of the lower structure is reduced to the point where it can no longer support the load above it, it will collapse without a jolt, right?

Tony Szamboti: That is right
Dave Rogers is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th May 2017, 02:25 PM   #741
halleyscomet
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post
His history suggest the complete opposite; if something doesn't appear to have any problems, he'll come up with a few to string things out another few years.

Dave

Yeah, I don't see how anyone can claim Mills is a problem solver when he has yet to actually manufacture a product. What problems has he solved to demonstrate a capacity as a problem solver?
Old 20th May 2017, 02:52 PM   #742
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Yeah, I don't see how anyone can claim Mills is a problem solver when he has yet to actually manufacture a product. What problems has he solved to demonstrate a capacity as a problem solver?
Well, he seems to have solved any finacial problems he may have ever had. At the expense of others it's worth noting, of course.
Old 20th May 2017, 02:57 PM   #743
halleyscomet
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
Well, he seems to have solved any finacial problems he may have ever had. At the expense of others it's worth noting, of course.

I will concede he is very good at separating morons from their money and giving them nothing of value in return.
Old 20th May 2017, 05:40 PM   #744
jonesdave116
Graduate Poster

I will concede he is very good at separating morons from their money and giving them nothing of value in return.
"Michio Kaku, a theoretical physicist based at City University of New York, adds that "the only law that this business with Mills is proving is that a fool and his money are easily parted."[7] and that "There's a sucker born every minute."[35]"

http://everything.explained.today/Br...t_Light_Power/

Bless 'em. I guess they can keep on believing. A bit like the Electric Universe loons. However, nobody will ever take it seriously.
Old 21st May 2017, 01:15 AM   #745
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by jonesdave116 View Post
Quote:
Legal threats to physicists

In 2000, a law firm engaged by BLP sent letters to four prominent physicists asking them to stop making what it called "defamatory comments". The physicists had been quoted in the Village Voice, Dow Jones Newswire and other publications as dismissing BLP's claims on the basis that they violated the laws of physics. In response, one of the physicists, Robert L. Park of the American Physical Society, said that if BLP sued, he was confident the scientific community would lend its support and that the court would side with the physicists.[37] Park later wrote that a number of the recipients of the letter, who had "responded honestly to questions from the media", had since fallen silent. Scientists, Park wrote, are easy to intimidate since they are not rich enough to risk costly legal actions.
Just a note for our true believers here - real scientists conducting real science welcome criticism. Scientists criticising the work of other scientists is how science gets done.
Old 21st May 2017, 03:34 AM   #746
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

He's found a new ground state for dollars.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st May 2017, 11:17 AM   #747
The Man
Scourge, of the supernatural

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
He's found a new ground state for dollars.
Buried in his back yard?
Old 21st May 2017, 03:12 PM   #748
Lurch
Scholar

That Mills has retained lawyers to threaten scientists critical of his 'work' in order to cow them into silence is reprehensible! That's a Trumpian tactic. The *only* reason to do this is because he's a scammer who can never possibly deliver on his promises, and he knows it.

Real scientists turn skepticism into support by providing *evidence*, and inviting independent verification.

Scammers obfuscate and deflect, and use biased parties with vested interests to 'verify' results.
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st May 2017, 04:05 PM   #749
The Man
Scourge, of the supernatural

Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
That Mills has retained lawyers to threaten scientists critical of his 'work' in order to cow them into silence is reprehensible! That's a Trumpian tactic. The *only* reason to do this is because he's a scammer who can never possibly deliver on his promises, and he knows it.

Real scientists turn skepticism into support by providing *evidence*, and inviting independent verification.

Scammers obfuscate and deflect, and use biased parties with vested interests to 'verify' results.

Well, who could forget the infamous Bohr vs Einstein trials of the early 1900's.

Not to mention the class action litigation brought against Einstein for flagrant violation of absolute space and time.

Oh, wait.

Science by tort ain't science.
Old 22nd May 2017, 07:51 PM   #750
The Norseman
Meandering fecklessly

Wasn't there supposed to be something happening sometime about now?

Some great scientific breakthrough being brought to market? I could have sworn…
The Norseman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2017, 10:18 PM   #751
ProgRokker
Scholar

I simply noted that there was no claim of commercialization timelines in that article. Mills himself notes the power densities of his various iterations compared to conventional power sources in his presentations.

But because skeptics only need to do a "whiff test" on such things in order to determine their validity, I suppose most of them missed those details.

I sure wish I could just magically know things without actually having to peruse the offered evidence, but I am not as fortunate in that department as the self-proclaimed skeptics are, apparently.
ProgRokker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2017, 10:30 PM   #752
ProgRokker
Scholar

Originally Posted by JeanTate View Post
A belated welcome, ProgRokker.

For me, a key aspect has not been discussed in any of the posts since this one of yours, namely, the dangers of hydrinos in the environment and workplace.

Initially this was not something I considered much; lately it's become my main worry. With your extensive knowledge of all things Mills, BLP, and hydrinos, maybe you can help me? I certainly hope so.

Where can I find published reports, by truly independent actors, on the toxicity, mutagenicity, teratogenicity, etc of hydrinos, their compounds, and metabolites? What certificates, permits, etc does BLP/Mills have re the production of these, their control within the workplace, release to the environment, etc?

I've looked for answers to these questions (in the YT vids, among other places), but have found nothing so far.

I've become increasingly worried by this, as the realization that Mills' professional background is medical (not mathematics or physics) has sunk in; why does he appear so completely insensitive to/unaware of the potential implications of widespread dispersal of hydrinos in the environment if his plans for a free energy generator come true? (By the way, it seems the environmental costs associated with hydrinos have not been factored in to the various commercializations; they won't be negligible, just as radioactive byproducts are not a negligible cost to nuclear power plant operators).

You see, unlike everyone else who has posted to this thread (as far as I know), I actually live in NJ, closer to 493 Old Trenton Rd than to Manhattan. And I know a bit about NJ's sorry history re pollution (check out the history of PCBs, for some scary stuff, for example ... they were thought to be 100% safe once!).

What can you say, from your extensive research, about the safety of hydrinos, their compounds, and metabolites?
Thanks for the welcome, JeanTate.

Given that no scientist who wants to keep his or her job or funding would ever admit to believing in a hydrino, it's rather difficult to find anyone who's done that analysis. So we're left with what Mills claims, which is that the hydrinos' impact will be insignificant compared to the tons of poisonous crap we currently spew into our air and water.
ProgRokker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2017, 11:05 PM   #753
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

Given that no scientist who wants to keep his or her job or funding would ever admit to believing in a hydrino ....
Every scientist would believe in hydrinos if Mills described the process for generating and observing them, and that process worked when replicated. He's had nearly 30 years to do so, and the world is still waiting. There is only one sensible conclusion to draw.
Old 22nd May 2017, 11:06 PM   #754
ProgRokker
Scholar

Originally Posted by Lukraak_Sisser View Post
But a working prototype in the lab with low energy output DOES translate to immediate Nobel Prize and infinite funding. So why has he NOT shown the overunity device to the world?
I think I know the answer, but I would love to be proven wrong.
The validations of the current and prior devices show clear evidence of overunity. The breakthrough has already has been shown to the world. Just read the papers.

Mills apparently has hundreds of millions in funding. His problem is reportedly not funding. It's engineering. Watch the presentations and read Holverstott's book. They explain the progression from device to device and the engineering problems encountered in each of them.

As far as I can tell, creating the reaction was the initial problem. Then controlling it. Then capturing the energy and converting it. The final engineering issue is rerouting the energy so the machine is self-powering. From Mills' reports, that problem has not been solved.
Old 22nd May 2017, 11:24 PM   #755
ProgRokker
Scholar

Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
Every scientist would believe in hydrinos if Mills described the process for generating and observing them, and that process worked when replicated. He's had nearly 30 years to do so, and the world is still waiting. There is only one sensible conclusion to draw.
Why would any inventor in his right mind give away his secret to limitless, free energy before he fully patented it and turned it into a trillion dollar commercial device?

We can debate the validity of Mills' claims, and even his sanity, but can't we all agree that gaining the approval of the scientific community is probably pretty low on his list at the moment?
Old 22nd May 2017, 11:39 PM   #756
ProgRokker
Scholar

Just a note for our true believers here - real scientists conducting real science welcome criticism. Scientists criticising the work of other scientists is how science gets done.
And an accompanying note for the pseudo-skeptics out there: real scientists express their criticism through accepted channels such as rebuttals in peer reviewed papers, *not* via snarky blog entries (see: Robert Park) or in expletive laden rants such as this one by the distinguished Princeton physicist Philip Anderson:

"If you could **** around with the hydrogen atom, you could **** around with the energy process in the sun. You could **** around with life itself....Everything we know about everything would be a bunch of nonsense. That's why I'm so sure that [BLP's] a fraud."

It was vindictive, inflammatory statements like these (i.e., infantile, emotional responses to ideas that run contrary to what skeptics already "know") that BLP threatened to sue over--NOT peer reviewed or otherwise measured, rational responses to Mills' papers.

Just for the record.

Edited by Agatha:  Edited for breaches of rule 10. Please do not attempt to fool the autocensor in the public sections of the forum, but type swear words out in full and correctly spelled so that the autocensor can remove inappropriate words

Last edited by Agatha; 23rd May 2017 at 01:14 AM.
Old 23rd May 2017, 12:05 AM   #757
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

Why would any inventor in his right mind give away his secret to limitless, free energy before he fully patented it and turned it into a trillion dollar commercial device?
For the Nobel prize. For the flood of funding and engineering assistance that would have enabled him to turn it into a commercial device in a couple of years rather than 30+. In order to save millions, and potentially billions, of lives by providing an alternative to fossil fuels 25 years ago.
Old 23rd May 2017, 12:16 AM   #758
AlaskaBushPilot
Illuminator

I don't know what the Wright brothers were claiming. I do know they approached the U.S. Army and the War Department said they could see no use for airplanes.
Rubbish. Got that from a movie or something?

The war department funded Samuel Langley $50,000 in 1898 to develop a powered flight airplane for military use. That is a staggering pile of money in current dollars, and it ended in extreme embarrassment with a failed public demonstration in 1903 where the pilot had to be rescued in the Potomac River.

That led to press, congressional, and public condemnation of the War Department funding research and development. From then on they could only buy working airplanes, which they were excited to do under two contracts in 1908.

The Wright's failed their tests in the USA but passed them in France. The War department didn't give up on the Wrights though, and allowed them an extra ten months even though the first plane had crashed and killed his Army passenger.

Europeans had been flying gliders since the 1840's and since ridge lift and cloud uplift can keep a glider in the air potentially for hours the question becomes what standard of "powered flight" is considered success. Even by 1908 the Wrights couldn't make the quite modest conditions set forth in their War Department contract.

You couldn't be more wrong about this, but you've been relentlessly insulting us since you got here in post after post - really quite offensive mocking, ridiculing and arrogant lecturing.

Better to be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.
AlaskaBushPilot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd May 2017, 01:03 AM   #759
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

I simply noted that there was no claim of commercialization timelines in that article.
Your original claim:

Mills addresses many of the issues discussed here, including the progression of the prototypes leading up to the SunCell, which is the only device with sufficient power density to make commercialization viable.
Mills' claim, from before the development of the SunCell:

Quote:
[...]the power density is one million times that of the engine of a Formula One racer, and ten million times that of a jet engine.
Either you are wrong, or Mills is wrong.

Your subsequent claim:

My understanding is that the fuel cell prototype produced overunity of at least 40x and incredible power density, but that it was highly susceptible to corrosion.
That is the exact opposite of your original claim - not that previous technologies didn't have high enough power densities to be commercially viable, but that their power densities were too high.

Which of your two completely contradictory statements is true?
Old 23rd May 2017, 01:06 AM   #760
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Given that no scientist who wants to keep his or her job or funding would ever admit to believing in a hydrino, it's rather difficult to find anyone who's done that analysis.
Does that mean that you're claiming that not only is there no independent verification, but that the claimed verifications which have allegedly been done have not been carried out by scientists?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology