ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags flat earth , flat earthers

Old 4th May 2017, 05:09 PM   #1
Steve001
Graduate Poster

Flat earthers

Thought I'd share this flatard video compilation. So far my favorite is the young girl.

Out of all of the incredible things I've heard issued from the mouths of the irrational this is and I think will remain for me the most incredible. I'm having a bit of fun with a flatard i found by accident on YouTube. https://youtu.be/vKAiJT_BdTU
Steve001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th May 2017, 05:32 PM   #2
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

That poor girl makes me sad. Unless she's having us on, hard to tell.
Old 4th May 2017, 06:48 PM   #3
AlaskaBushPilot
Illuminator

Great topic. I tried a search last night on the site to see if there was a thread about it. Because in this day and age to have flat-earthers is just incredible.

The basic idea is that the world is a flat disk. They think the disk is rimmed by the antarctic ice sheet. Nobody has ever flown past the edge because the governments won't let you.

It is an optical illusion that the body of a ship disappears on the horizon first as it heads out to sea, and the mast appears first when returning.

The conspiracy theory aspect of it is mind-boggling. All the pictures of the earth from outer space: fake. Moon landings: fake. You need all these governments coordinating the misinformation campaign about the earth being round.

My introduction to this was a radio host interviewing a warehouse laborer who had made it central to his identity. He really invested a lot of time in it and had an answer for everything. Obviously doesn't fly much at the poles. It's actually good hazard pay for pilots freighting for research outfits, expeditions, etc. Especially considering you need tail gunners to keep the government's planes from shooting you down, lol.
AlaskaBushPilot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th May 2017, 07:02 PM   #4
foophil
Graduate Poster

I kid you not, I watched a flat earther arguing it out with a hollow earther on a friend's Facebook post the other day. It was hilarious, and bizarre. Each thought the other was a nut job.
foophil is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th May 2017, 07:36 PM   #5
Steve001
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by foophil View Post
I kid you not, I watched a flat earther arguing it out with a hollow earther on a friend's Facebook post the other day. It was hilarious, and bizarre. Each thought the other was a nut job.
I think you've top the incredible flat earth with the even more incredible hollow earth.
Gotta link to that?
Steve001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th May 2017, 07:44 PM   #6
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Interestingly enough, they were both right.
Old 4th May 2017, 09:01 PM   #7
Tony Stark
Philosopher

Are we sure that flat earthers aren't trolling?
Tony Stark is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th May 2017, 09:57 PM   #8
AlaskaBushPilot
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
That poor girl makes me sad. Unless she's having us on, hard to tell.
This is a real good question. Are they (some of them, anyway) having us on? Gaming us? Are the "leaders" like Scientology's L. Ron Hubbard knowingly pursuing a con game for fun and profit, picking up low-lying intellectual fruit?

She was good, yes. But the stoner - that was great! So forlorn about his family not listening to him.
AlaskaBushPilot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th May 2017, 11:49 PM   #9
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

I do wonder if, for some of them at least, it's a kind of performance art.

As far as the true believers are concerned I've always suspected that the root cause of this sort of delusion is sheer arrogance. Their common sense tells them the earth is flat, so it must be true because they couldn't possibly be wrong about something that seems so obvious. See also physics crackpots, and the intelligent design crowd.
Old 5th May 2017, 12:20 AM   #10
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

I am absolutely convinced that there are people out there who truly believe that the earth is not a globe.

Just as I am absolutely convinced that there are people out there for whom the idea of a non-globe earth is an interesting intellectual exercise, and that there are people out there for whom it's all just a great big joke.
Old 5th May 2017, 01:04 AM   #11
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

I started with the video in the OP then watched a few more.

I honestly think I'm starting to like these people. They have the kind of suspicious nature which warms my heart. Trust no one.

Is that $20 bill in your wallet real? Doubtful.
marplots is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th May 2017, 02:40 AM   #12
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Is it turtles all the way down?
Old 5th May 2017, 02:59 AM   #13
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Sideroxylon View Post
Is it turtles all the way down?
Doesn't matter. All that matters is the first turtle, the one right under our feet.
marplots is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th May 2017, 03:04 AM   #14
Porpoise of Life
Master Poster

Is it possible to model the Earth as some kind of weird unbounded flat surface, with the planet's core as 'down' and the rest of the universe as 'up'?

It's doesn't sound practical, but I don't know enough about mathematics and physics to judge if we'd run into any strange problems in such a model. (Well, obviously seeing the Earth as a spheroid once we fly up into space is going to be weird)
Porpoise of Life is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th May 2017, 05:02 AM   #15
Steve001
Graduate Poster

Here's a clip from the podcast of Joe Rogan interviewing someone named Eddie Bravo discussing why Eddie thinks the Earth might likely be flat.
https://youtu.be/eRZM0IvagLc
Old 5th May 2017, 05:26 AM   #16
Donn
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
Well, they sure as hell ain't rolling!
Donn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th May 2017, 05:32 AM   #17
Bikewer
Penultimate Amazing

Years ago, I thought all the flat-earthers were just having everybody on. Enjoying coming up with their ad-hoc arguments to counter all the evidence.
Since most people are not really all that knowledgable, it's easy to come up with stuff that the average person can't easily refute.
But now...It certainly seems some of these folks are serious. Maybe all part of the anti-science, anti-intellectual movement.
Bikewer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th May 2017, 05:40 AM   #18
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
I'm wondering out loud here, but, if the Earth is flat, with a ring of ice on the edge, what's on the other side? Is there a whole other world down there, or is it just jagged rocks and dirt like some kind of Roger Dean* painting?

*Roger Dean, best known for his YES album cover art.

Last edited by Mike!; 5th May 2017 at 05:42 AM.
Mike! is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th May 2017, 06:14 AM   #19
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
I'm wondering out loud here, but, if the Earth is flat, with a ring of ice on the edge, what's on the other side? Is there a whole other world down there, or is it just jagged rocks and dirt like some kind of Roger Dean* painting?
We don't know/haven't been told.
Old 5th May 2017, 06:30 AM   #20
TruthJonsen
New Blood

Not sure where I saw it, perhaps YouTube, but I saw a flatter explaining it in the context of some biblical text about the firmament, etc. A religious basis would explain the denial of evidence thing. A flat earth is more friendly to the idea of heaven and hell.
TruthJonsen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th May 2017, 07:17 AM   #21
Steve001
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Mike! View Post

*Roger Dean, best known for his YES album cover art.
I recall from an anti flat Earth vid there is an armada of policing ships that prevent anyone from getting close to that ring of ice. I think the video is one among the series titled "World of bat sh**".

Last edited by Steve001; 5th May 2017 at 07:19 AM.
Old 5th May 2017, 08:22 AM   #22
JesseCuster
Muse

Is there a coherent/common reason given by flat earthers for why everyone else apart from them believes the world to be a globe? Is it a conspiracy of some sort by TPTB? If so, for what purpose? It would be a truly bizarre and far reaching conspiracy to promote a round earth.

Some of the stuff I've read is just beyond ludicrous. There's no such thing as satellites for example. TV satellite dishes are simply pointed towards TV transmitter relays floating high in the atmosphere connected to hot air balloons. Weird **** like that. Why would everyone agree to such a bizarre and apparently pointless cover-up?

Last edited by JesseCuster; 5th May 2017 at 08:24 AM.
JesseCuster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th May 2017, 09:03 AM   #23
Bolok
New Blood

Originally Posted by JesseCuster View Post
Is there a coherent/common reason given by flat earthers for why everyone else apart from them believes the world to be a globe? Is it a conspiracy of some sort by TPTB? If so, for what purpose? It would be a truly bizarre and far reaching conspiracy to promote a round earth.

Some of the stuff I've read is just beyond ludicrous. There's no such thing as satellites for example. TV satellite dishes are simply pointed towards TV transmitter relays floating high in the atmosphere connected to hot air balloons. Weird **** like that. Why would everyone agree to such a bizarre and apparently pointless cover-up?
It maintains the belief in the conspiracy. In fact, from what I have seen, the most important part is the conspiracy itself, not that the earth is flat. Evidenced by silly hand waving when presented with trivial to see-defeaters of their position.
Bolok is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th May 2017, 09:09 AM   #24
Argumemnon
World Maker

Maybe we should just book them a plane ticket and point to the horizon at 40k.
Old 5th May 2017, 09:21 AM   #25
JesseCuster
Muse

Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
They'll just tell you it's an optical illusion. Light being diffracted and refracted by the atmosphere gives the illusion that the earth curves away from us.
JesseCuster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th May 2017, 09:25 AM   #26
Donn
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
All the portholes are monitors playing a false feed.
Donn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th May 2017, 09:37 AM   #27
AlaskaBushPilot
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Bikewer View Post
Years ago, I thought all the flat-earthers were just having everybody on. Enjoying coming up with their ad-hoc arguments to counter all the evidence.
Since most people are not really all that knowledgable, it's easy to come up with stuff that the average person can't easily refute.
No question this is part of it. Look at how they answer, for example, the point that all the planets, suns, moons, etc. we see are round. The response is "That's like standing on a pool table and saying it must be round because all the pool balls are round."

No, it isn't anything like that at all since stellar bodies are formed by the same processes, with the same elements, and we can't see a single flat body in space.

There's a lot of lying and "just so" storytelling, so I have my doubts about sincerity. "Nobody has ever produced a single picture of the round earth..." except for all the NASA photos that are faked.

Quote:
But now...It certainly seems some of these folks are serious. Maybe all part of the anti-science, anti-intellectual movement.

I'm leaning towards alternate reality gaming, for the people that put a lot of time into it. You can be a flat earth scientist after a couple of youtube videos and confound people with your ********.
Old 5th May 2017, 09:41 AM   #28
CORed
Philosopher

And they were both right. What each failed to realize is that they are also nutjobs.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th May 2017, 09:43 AM   #29
CORed
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
I'm pretty sure most of the people making the videos are trolling. The people that believe the videos (or claim they do) are probably a mix of trolls and idiots. Troll and idiot are the only two possibilities.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th May 2017, 10:39 AM   #30
3point14
Pi

how do they explain that the middle and the edges are cold and the bits in-between hot?

Actually, do I really want to know?

We are lions, not tigers.
Turns out I don't know a lot about tigers.
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th May 2017, 11:14 AM   #31
sts60
Master Poster

Or clouds that are lit from below at sunrise/sunset? One of the benefits of a long commute on I-70 is getting to see this pretty regularly.
sts60 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th May 2017, 11:18 AM   #32
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Al-Biruni, a pioneering Muslim scientist figured out a truly remarkable and ingenious method to calculate the radius of the earth (and subsequently its circumference). This method was very simple yet accurate, requiring just four measurements in all to be taken and then applying a trigonometric equation to arrive at the solution. What Biruni figured out with unprecedented accuracy and precision in the 10th century was not known to the west until the 16th century.
https://owlcation.com/stem/How-to-De...sic-Experiment

Last edited by Sideroxylon; 5th May 2017 at 11:19 AM.
Sideroxylon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th May 2017, 11:18 AM   #33
AlaskaBushPilot
Illuminator

Originally Posted by 3point14 View Post
how do they explain that the middle and the edges are cold and the bits in-between hot?
The answer I saw was that logically, there must be something else responsible for the heating of the earth. An exciting flat earth research topic to be developled.

They also claim the sun shines like a flashlight with a concentrated beam, not emitting light in all directions. That's why it can light up part of the earth while the other part is dark.

They're also big on saying you can't prove/disprove something without personally verifying it. Yet, we're supposed to believe all manner of things they assert without seeing them for ourselves. Like all those military forces keeping airplanes from flying past the ice cap.
Old 5th May 2017, 12:46 PM   #34
sts60
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Sideroxylon View Post
Al-Biruni, a pioneering Muslim scientist figured out a truly remarkable and ingenious method to calculate the radius of the earth (and subsequently its circumference). This method was very simple yet accurate, requiring just four measurements in all to be taken and then applying a trigonometric equation to arrive at the solution. What Biruni figured out with unprecedented accuracy and precision in the 10th century was not known to the west until the 16th century.
https://owlcation.com/stem/How-to-De...sic-Experiment
Well, it is no disrespect to Al-Buruni to point out that Erathostenes came within a couple percent of the correct value more than a thousand years before his work.
sts60 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th May 2017, 02:03 PM   #35
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Originally Posted by sts60 View Post
Well, it is no disrespect to Al-Buruni to point out that Erathostenes came within a couple percent of the correct value more than a thousand years before his work.
None at all. Both would be relatively easy projects for todays flat earther.
Old 5th May 2017, 02:10 PM   #36
AlaskaBushPilot
Illuminator

One "proof" they use of flat earth is that they claim you can see further than the curvature of the earth would allow. The Chicago skyline is supposedly some prominent example that you should not be able to see at the place the picture is taken.

I suspect they can't even use the formula correctly for the curvature of the earth.
Old 5th May 2017, 02:38 PM   #37
FramerDave
Muse

I now love John Young more than ever.

"If you want to see what baby oil does to lactating breasts pm me your email." mayday
FramerDave is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th May 2017, 02:41 PM   #38
The Norseman
Meandering fecklessly

Originally Posted by AlaskaBushPilot View Post
But the stoner - that was great! So forlorn about his family not listening to him.
Hahahaha! You noticed that too? Poor dude; just put down the bong, treat "the earth being flat no round no idunno" as one of those imponderables of great mystery, and get on with life.

But this! This is really what I don't understand. WHY would, aside from a handful of weirdos, seven billion people try to fool themselves that the Earth is round when in all reality, it's not?
The Norseman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th May 2017, 02:44 PM   #39
Lurch
Scholar

If the Sun's light is supposed to be 'focused' in the manner of a flashlight, then why is it always the case that wherever and whenever on Earth we always see the Sun shining fully (when not attenuated by clouds, fog, volcanic ash, etc.) anytime it is above the horizon? For everyone, everywhere, all the time during the the day, the Sun's 'beam' is directed toward them. And so such a 'focusing' or 'constriction' of the light must necessarily encompass the entirety of the Earth with essentially a uniform light (except for atmospheric and other attenuation.)

If the Earth is flat, then how to account for this? For an observer whose Sun is overhead he sees the solar disk subtend an apparent angle of 1/2 degree. While on the phone with another person 1/8 of the terrestrial circumference (as we know it) distant, he is told the sun is 45 degrees above the horizon. Simple geometry tells us that the sun for the latter must be 1.414 times more distant, therefore subtending an apparent angle 0.707 times as large as when at the zenith, and supplying 1/2 the light/energy. For ever lower solar altitude the numbers quickly get into ludicrous territory.

If atmospheric refraction is then invoked as a counterargument to provide the coincidentally precise magnification required to compensate for the geometrical scaling, the retort is this. The patterns among the stars are essentially unchanged down to very near the horizon, where only a vertical distortion of small extent is incurred due to the stratified density gradient. The required 'magnification' cannot be imposed in the horizontal axis due to the fact of the density gradient operating only in the vertical (which is why the solar disk at setting/rising is often somewhat compressed vertically with no alteration in the angular width.) Moreover, how can magnification of a field of stars possibly retain an unchanged scale for their large-scale pattern? Such a concept as magnification without change of scale at various scales is utterly ludicrous.
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th May 2017, 08:01 PM   #40
Delvo
الشيطان الأبيض

Originally Posted by AlaskaBushPilot View Post
One "proof" they use of flat earth is that they claim you can see further than the curvature of the earth would allow. The Chicago skyline is supposedly some prominent example that you should not be able to see at the place the picture is taken.

I suspect they can't even use the formula correctly for the curvature of the earth.
The point of view is from across part of the Lake in Indiana or even Michigan. They do have the right curvature & distance numbers, which can be obtained fairly easily from non-flat-Earth sources so they wouldn't need to do the math themselves. They just don't include the possibility of having the resulting range extended occasionally by a mirage-like effect set up by a certain kind of thermal layering over the Lake which, under the right conditions, bends the light path down.
Delvo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal