ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 8th May 2017, 02:21 AM   #1
baron
Illuminator

Lady asking music be turned down body-slammed

Pity the cop in question didn't turn up at this party instead of the old lady asking for the noise to be turned down. Then he could have shot the lot of them. Still, maybe next time.

https://youtu.be/Z6HKpt8mgJU
Old 8th May 2017, 09:47 AM   #2
Mumbles
Illuminator

Originally Posted by baron View Post
Pity the cop in question didn't turn up at this party instead of the old lady asking for the noise to be turned down. Then he could have shot the lot of them. Still, maybe next time.

Why? Looks like only the one guy really got violent - everyone else pretty much just ran off.
Mumbles is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th May 2017, 10:11 AM   #3
baron
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
Why? Looks like only the one guy really got violent - everyone else pretty much just ran off.
Alternatively, several dozen people watched and cheered as a youth bodyslammed an old lady onto concrete and dragged her and her dogs into a swimming pool, then ran off laughing without even trying to help. But you're probably right, in that situation she got off lightly.
Old 8th May 2017, 02:30 PM   #4
SteveL
Scholar

Alternatively, several dozen people watched and cheered as a youth bodyslammed an old lady onto concrete and dragged her and her dogs into a swimming pool, then ran off laughing without even trying to help. But you're probably right, in that situation she got off lightly.
Baron, what I saw in that video was a young man picking up a woman (apparently to throw her into the pool) who them slipped and fell. You can see his right foot slip back. It's a pretty poor 'body slam' that has your victim land on top of your head.

Last edited by SteveL; 8th May 2017 at 02:31 PM.
SteveL is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th May 2017, 04:21 PM   #5
baron
Illuminator

Originally Posted by SteveL View Post
Baron, what I saw in that video was a young man picking up a woman (apparently to throw her into the pool) who them slipped and fell. You can see his right foot slip back. It's a pretty poor 'body slam' that has your victim land on top of your head.
That's fine, then. He just picked up an old woman to chuck in a swimming pool, slipped and slammed her into the concrete, then dragged her across the floor and chucked her and her dogs into the pool anyway. It says a great deal that you try and play down such behaviour with your pedantic cherry picking. Sad.
Old 8th May 2017, 04:25 PM   #6
Travis
Misanthrope of the Mountains

Originally Posted by TheGoldcountry View Post
Sounds like my grandmother. Sweet woman, but she thought her personal morality should extend to others, IYKWIM.
Morality had nothing to do with it. I was depressed, lonely and miserable. If I had been in school five years later I would have at least had the goth fad to assimilate into and at least had sorta friends. Anyways it was my mission to ruin everything for everyone in a ten mile radius. Looking back I'm shocked I lived through that. At the very least forcibly committed.
Old 9th May 2017, 06:04 AM   #7
SteveL
Scholar

That's fine, then. He just picked up an old woman to chuck in a swimming pool, slipped and slammed her into the concrete, then dragged her across the floor and chucked her and her dogs into the pool anyway. It says a great deal that you try and play down such behaviour with your pedantic cherry picking. Sad.
It says a great deal that you try to assign malicious intent to an obvious accident.
SteveL is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2017, 07:44 AM   #8
crescent
Graduate Poster

It says a great deal that you try to assign malicious intent to an obvious accident.
That's an odd sort of accident. I agree he didn't body slam her. But picking her up and dragging her to the pool and throwing her in could hardly be called "accidental", and she didn't exactly look like she wanted it to happen or enjoyed the event.

Last edited by crescent; 9th May 2017 at 07:50 AM.
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2017, 08:09 AM   #9
crescent
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by TraneWreck View Post
What was the relevance of this video to the thread? What do you believe this shows that casts light on the shooting in question?
It seems to be getting a bit of press:

Teen confesses to tossing 68-year-old woman in Florida pool

Quote:
Sheriff's deputies say a teenager has confessed to throwing a 68-year-old woman into a swimming pool when she tried to break up a party at a South Florida apartment complex.

Broward Sheriff's officials said in a news release that the 16-year-old boy turned himself in on Monday, telling investigators that he "messed up" and has to "own up to it." He was with his mother and a lawyer.
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2017, 08:31 AM   #10
baron
Illuminator

Wow, what a disgusting statement.
Old 9th May 2017, 08:39 AM   #11
baron
Illuminator

Originally Posted by crescent View Post
It seems to be getting a bit of press:

Teen confesses to tossing 68-year-old woman in Florida pool
What is as bad or possibly worse was the reaction of the crowd.
Old 9th May 2017, 08:43 AM   #12
TraneWreck
Philosopher

Just want to say that the answers to my questions could have been very relevant to the shooting thread.

When there's a thread about police shooting an unarmed black teen and a response is to post an unrelated video of a black teen behaving poorly, there is an attempt at an implication. I wanted the poster to articulate that as I believe there is a direct connection between the reasoning linking the video with the shooting and the fact that unarmed black teens seem to be shot by police somewhat regularly.
TraneWreck is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2017, 09:06 AM   #13
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Reports say that she had her phone in her pocket. It's trashed.
Old 9th May 2017, 09:35 AM   #14
BobTheCoward
Philosopher

Whether he slipped or intentionally threw her to the ground can significantly alter what charges a person would face.
BobTheCoward is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2017, 09:52 AM   #15
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by ABCNews
Nancy James told deputies that 200 young people showed up at Players Place apartments near Fort Lauderdale Saturday evening.
Wait a minute. There actually is an apartment complex there called Players Place?
Old 9th May 2017, 09:53 AM   #16
Finster
Muse

Originally Posted by TraneWreck View Post
Just want to say that the answers to my questions could have been very relevant to the shooting thread.

When there's a thread about police shooting an unarmed black teen and a response is to post an unrelated video of a black teen behaving poorly, there is an attempt at an implication. I wanted the poster to articulate that as I believe there is a direct connection between the reasoning linking the video with the shooting and the fact that unarmed black teens seem to be shot by police somewhat regularly.
I thought much the same thing when I saw this in the other thread.

Also - No doubt the kid screwed up and what he did is not defensible but he has turned himself in and will face the consequences (and he should).

And - while at least some of party goers were ******** and may have even broken some laws, suggesting that they all deserve to be killed on site is pretty messed up.
Old 9th May 2017, 10:15 AM   #17
crescent
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Finster View Post
suggesting that they all deserve to be killed on site .
Where are you getting that from? I've not seen any sort of suggestions like that.
Old 9th May 2017, 10:20 AM   #18
Finster
Muse

Originally Posted by crescent View Post
Where are you getting that from? I've not seen any sort of suggestions like that.
Did you read the op?
Old 9th May 2017, 10:21 AM   #19
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Also - No doubt the kid screwed up and what he did is not defensible but he has turned himself in and will face the consequences (and he should).
We may never know if he would have turned himself in if it weren't for the neighbor who positively identified him to the police.

Pictures of her injuries here...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...n-68-pool.html
Old 9th May 2017, 10:28 AM   #20
crescent
Graduate Poster

Did you read the op?
Ah, I had skimmed over it - I guess it registered to me as meaningless hyperbole. I'll leave it to Baron to suggest what he really meant.
Old 9th May 2017, 10:34 AM   #21
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

Florida.
Beelzebuddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2017, 10:40 AM   #22
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

Swimming pools should be banned
Old 9th May 2017, 10:43 AM   #23
Giz
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Beelzebuddy View Post
Florida.
Broward County. (Which, based on my viewing of "COPS", is where everything happens in Florida.
Giz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2017, 11:17 AM   #24
baron
Illuminator

And - while at least some of party goers were ******** and may have even broken some laws, suggesting that they all deserve to be killed on site is pretty messed up.
I didn't specify a location.
Old 9th May 2017, 11:25 AM   #25
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

If I were licensed in Florida I'd be signing up to sue the complex for having slippery pavement. That kid nearly killed himself when he slipped while picking up that woman who wanted to join the pool party.

Suffering is not a punishment not a fruit of sin, it is a gift of God.
He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2017, 11:31 AM   #26
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Sort of like a Klan Judge Dredd?
Old 9th May 2017, 11:39 AM   #27
baron
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Sideroxylon View Post
Sort of like a Klan Judge Dredd?
Not sure how the robes would fare on a bike.
Old 9th May 2017, 11:47 AM   #28
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Accident goes out the window as soon as he lays his hands on her.

Tom McGuane
Resume is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2017, 02:08 PM   #29
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

I thought much the same thing when I saw this in the other thread.

Just checking, Killed on sight (as soon as seen) or killed on site (where they specifically were) ?

I ask as the phrase usually means the first option!!!!

Wash this space!

We fight for the Lady Babylon!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2017, 02:23 PM   #30
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl

Not a body slam but disgusting nonetheless. I'm glad the jerk ended up in the pool too.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2017, 02:54 PM   #31
fagin
Illuminator

Picking her up initially might be considered high spirits, dropping her was stupidly clumsy. Dragging her to the edge was criminal.
Old 9th May 2017, 04:08 PM   #32
MostlyDead
Graduate Poster

Wow, what a disgusting statement.
You want disgusting? Get a load of the YT comments under the OP video.
MostlyDead is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2017, 04:22 PM   #33
Mumbles
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Not a body slam but disgusting nonetheless. I'm glad the jerk ended up in the pool too.
Yep. It seemed pretty clearly accidental to me (the "slam", not throwing the lady in the pool, which he likely thought would be funny), but that's why they tell you no horseplay near the pool.

ETA: This report goes a bit more into the people involved - as I said, everyone else just ran off. Not the bravest move, but not criminal by any means.

Last edited by Mumbles; 9th May 2017 at 04:25 PM.
Mumbles is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2017, 05:09 PM   #34
baron
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
Yep. It seemed pretty clearly accidental to me (the "slam", not throwing the lady in the pool, which he likely thought would be funny), but that's why they tell you no horseplay near the pool.
I thought the advice of no horseplay near the pool was to do with the risk of slipping and hurting yourself and broadly unrelated to the consequences of viciously assaulting a pensioner. You live and learn.
Old 9th May 2017, 05:29 PM   #35
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

This never would have happened if it was a Muslim party. A brief conversation and an apology and the music gets turned down. Everyone is happy. The old lady is happy because it's quieter and the Muslims are happy because they pleased a stranger. But this crap happens because these partiers are Christians. They are little more than dogs, the Christians are.
Old 9th May 2017, 05:37 PM   #36
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by fagin View Post
Picking her up initially might be considered high spirits, dropping her was stupidly clumsy. Dragging her to the edge was criminal.
He comitted battery the moment he grabed her. It makes no difference if the slam was on accident or on purpose. He should eat a cruelty to animals charge for dragging the dog with the woman.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2017, 08:05 PM   #37
Noztradamus
Illuminator

Originally Posted by MostlyDead View Post
You want disgusting? Get a load of the YT comments under the OP video.
"LOL thats white whitey gets.... White she trailer ape got her fur wet ... Ahahahahahahahahaha"
Old 9th May 2017, 08:34 PM   #38
Molinaro
Illuminator

There's a big difference between downplaying and correcting a false statement.

My first thought when I saw was that calling it a bodyslam was a lie. It is blatantly obvious that the guy slipped and fell when he picked her up.

The only reason to call it a bodyslam is out of a desire to create a false narrative.

Pointing that out should not be equated with condoning anything else about the video.
Old 9th May 2017, 09:59 PM   #39
CaptainHowdy
Muse

Who knows how bad it would have gotten if she hadn't used her White Privilege
CaptainHowdy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2017, 11:06 PM   #40
rdwight
Thinker

What a moron.

/thread?
rdwight is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events