ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , James Comey , Michael Flynn , Trump administration , Trump controversies , Trump-Russia connections

Reply
Old 9th May 2017, 04:10 PM   #81
AlaskaBushPilot
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 3,807
Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
Hillary has got to be pleased that her unceasing attacks on Comey have born fruit.
I'm afraid there's more to this than comedic value.

Trump is showing way too much neocon under the gills and they sure hate Comey. She was their Standard-Bearer.

So much we don't know...
AlaskaBushPilot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2017, 04:12 PM   #82
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 60,309
Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
I don't think there is any real reason to believe that Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein is some partisan hack that would fabricate reasons for firing Comey when really he's trying to protect Trump from the Russia investigation.
Colin Powell was manipulated by Bush et al to support the WMD charge. Do we know Rosenstein wasn't similarly manipulated.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2017, 04:13 PM   #83
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 12,529
Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
Honestly, as much as I hate Trump it is actually possible that Comey's firing has nothing to do with the Russia investigation and is actually about how he handled Hillary's email investigation.
Tony- are you feeling well? Just kidding, but your willingness to be generous in considering Trump's motivations in this regard cuts him much more slack than I would.

Yes, it is possible and I agree that Corney's handling of the Clinton email investigation was dreadful from procedural, political, and timing aspects. I honestly feel that it was the major wound during the campaign from which Clinton never recovered. And he should have been removed just for that reason, not to mention he very recent mis-statements on these issues during his Congressional testimony.

Or is it alternatively that the firing is because Corney did not file charges against Clinton, as one letter claims, and that now Trump wants to file charges??

But it is very difficult for me to see an unfair handling of Clinton's problems either way as motivating Trump. Just look at the nasty things Trump has said about Clinton and his lack of interest in legalities when Trump accused Clinton of criminal acts during his campaign. I see it as Corney's investigation of Trump's campaign contacts with Russia as being the primary motivation for Trump firing the guy, and Trump just using the Clinton investigation as an excuse.

We will have to see how much heat Trump gets for this.

Last edited by Giordano; 9th May 2017 at 04:28 PM.
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2017, 04:14 PM   #84
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 60,309
Schumer spoke the coverup word. I can hear the reverberations beginning.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2017, 04:16 PM   #85
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 60,309
Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
It's not like the dismissal letter falsely states three times that Trump isn't under investigation.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2017, 04:17 PM   #86
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 60,309
White House immediately hands out talking points memo quoting all the criticisms Schumer had about Comey earlier.

These guys were prepared for this coverup. But I don't think they read their Watergate history, or at least didn't see how it applied to them. Trump never thinks it applies to him.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 9th May 2017 at 04:25 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2017, 04:26 PM   #87
Crucible
New Blood
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 1
I now feel it is very unfair to compare Trump with Erdogan and Kim Jong-un. He should be compared to Henry VIII
Crucible is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2017, 04:34 PM   #88
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 60,309
Using the Clinton excuse is being called cynical by a pundit on MSNBC.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2017, 04:36 PM   #89
I Am The Scum
Master Poster
 
I Am The Scum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2,950
If this were an administration that punished incompetence, I would understand.
I Am The Scum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2017, 04:36 PM   #90
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!
 
William Parcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 16,513
I predict that this event will cause Trump to play golf.
__________________
Bigfoot believers and Bigfoot skeptics are both plumb crazy. Each spends more than one minute per year thinking about Bigfoot.
William Parcher is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2017, 04:41 PM   #91
Mumbles
Illuminator
 
Mumbles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 4,157
Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
In the end , Comey put himself in a bad situation:Neither side really trusted him.
I wouldn't trust Toupee Fiasco as far as I can spit, but it is true that he pretty brazenly interfered in the presidential election, and it's recently come to light that his claim that Aderdin was forwarding "hundreds and thousands" of emails to Weiner was flat-out false. It's basically impossible to defend him at this point, and honestly, it's *possible* that he was fired simply because he had become a public embarrassment to Cheeto Benito, much like Flynn had. We know how pissy Trump gets about the actual voter count after all.

Getting to pick a new FBI director may simply be a bonus for him.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2017, 04:44 PM   #92
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing
 
PhantomWolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 15,320
Apparently the answer was 50 days...

Can I have my Million Dollars now?
__________________

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)
My Apollo Page.
PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2017, 04:46 PM   #93
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing
 
Brainster's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 13,908
A healthy dose of skepticism strikes me as in order here, but there is far too much cynicism on display. Yes, my BS alarm goes off when it is claimed that the reason for Comey's firing is that he was unfair to Clinton. Is it possible? Yeah, I think Comey got too far out on a weak branch when he tried to satisfy both sides with his "Hillary was reckless but not negligent," formulation on the email server prosecution.

But to jump from that to "this is all about the Russia investigation," is not skepticism, but cynicism. The Russia investigation is going nowhere, for the simple reason that it's a ridiculous attempt at a Hail Mary after time has expired. Functionally it's nothing more than 9-11 Truth or Obama Birtherism was: a desperate attempt to deny the otherwise obvious legitimacy of the current president.
__________________
My new blog: Recent Reads.
1960s Comic Book Nostalgia
Visit the Screw Loose Change blog.

Last edited by Brainster; 9th May 2017 at 04:48 PM.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2017, 04:47 PM   #94
ChristianProgressive
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 1,199
Originally Posted by Cain View Post
Long overdue. Now if only he can find a way to dissolve Congress and vacate the courts.
Words cannot describe the depth of my contempt for that statement and for anyone who believes that way.

The Usurper is now in complete control. The last vestige of legitimate governance is gone.
ChristianProgressive is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2017, 04:50 PM   #95
ChristianProgressive
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 1,199
Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Hate to defend Trump, but the FBI head serves at the pleasure of the President, and the President can fire him for any reason, good or bad.
He needs to be confirmed by Congress, but the POTUS retains the right of Dimissal.
Not when the man himself and his regime are under investigation. This BS woulden't fly in any lesser level of government. Comey should refuse to leave and dare Trump to force him out, which would prove once and for all that 2016 was a coup, not an election.
ChristianProgressive is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2017, 04:54 PM   #96
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing
 
varwoche's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Puget Sound
Posts: 10,119
Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
A healthy dose of skepticism strikes me as in order here, but there is far too much cynicism on display. Yes, my BS alarm goes off when it is claimed that the reason for Comey's firing is that he was unfair to Clinton. Is it possible? Yeah, I think Comey got too far out on a weak branch when he tried to satisfy both sides with his "Hillary was reckless but not negligent," formulation on the email server prosecution.

But to jump from that to "this is all about the Russia investigation," is not skepticism, but cynicism. The Russia investigation is going nowhere, for the simple reason that it's a ridiculous attempt at a Hail Mary after time has expired. Functionally it's nothing more than 9-11 Truth or Obama Birtherism was: a desperate attempt to deny the otherwise obvious legitimacy of the current president.
Nonsense of a truly staggering order.

Nixon also had his defenders when he fired Cox.
__________________
To survive election season on a skeptics forum, one must understand Hymie-the-Robot.
SCOTUS death watch
varwoche is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2017, 04:55 PM   #97
ChristianProgressive
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 1,199
Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Notice how the letter points out Comey confirmed Trump wasn't under investigation which I don't believe Comey ever said in those words.
The pathological, continuous repetitions of his innocence are a sure sign of his guilt.

It's like Bart Simpson's "I didn't do it. Nobody saw me it. You can't prove I did it..."
ChristianProgressive is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2017, 04:56 PM   #98
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher
 
Beelzebuddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 5,101
Originally Posted by ChristianProgressive View Post
Words cannot describe the depth of my contempt for that statement and for anyone who believes that way.

The Usurper is now in complete control. The last vestige of legitimate governance is gone.
Protip: run everything Cain says through a high-gain sarcasm filter.
Beelzebuddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2017, 04:56 PM   #99
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 60,309
Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
A healthy dose of skepticism strikes me as in order here, but there is far too much cynicism on display. Yes, my BS alarm goes off when it is claimed that the reason for Comey's firing is that he was unfair to Clinton. Is it possible? Yeah, I think Comey got too far out on a weak branch when he tried to satisfy both sides with his "Hillary was reckless but not negligent," formulation on the email server prosecution.

But to jump from that to "this is all about the Russia investigation," is not skepticism, but cynicism. The Russia investigation is going nowhere, for the simple reason that it's a ridiculous attempt at a Hail Mary after time has expired. Functionally it's nothing more than 9-11 Truth or Obama Birtherism was: an attempt to deny the otherwise obvious legitimacy of the current president.
Pray tell, can you find even the slightest sliver of evidence that Trump would do this over Clinton and not over the Russia investigation?

If Trump did this months ago and appointed someone to pursue a Clinton prosecution, that would have made sense. He missed that window and not many people in his base were hammering for a Clinton prosecution.

Suddenly the Senate investigation of Trump/Russia shenanigans isn't going away like the House investigation did. And Comey makes one misspeak about how many emails were on Weiner's laptop, seriously, you think that actually mattered to all-about-me Trump?

Another of my predictions. Trump appoints an FBI director with the goal of quashing the Russia investigation. The FBI rank and file revolt and we start seeing a slew of whistle blowing leaks.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2017, 04:57 PM   #100
Hercules56
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 1,373
Special Prosecutor time, especially if Trump nominates a Yes Man for next FBI Director.

This will NOT get better, it will get worse.

Trump will not say or do anything to restore our faith or give us calm, he will say and do things to make things WORSE.
Hercules56 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2017, 04:58 PM   #101
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing
 
Craig4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Next door to Florida Man, world's worst superhero.
Posts: 13,362
At this point, I wish but have no expectation that Pence and the cabinet are considering if their loyalties lay with the president or the nation. After tonight, loyalty to Trump is a betrayal of the country.

Last edited by Craig4; 9th May 2017 at 05:04 PM.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2017, 05:02 PM   #102
ChristianProgressive
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 1,199
Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
Are you actually buying the rank BS that the firing is over the handling of Clinton??

The Big Dog needs facts?!? <guffaw>
Remember, stormTrumpers have their own definition of "facts".
ChristianProgressive is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2017, 05:03 PM   #103
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing
 
Meadmaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 15,999
Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
I predict that this event will cause Trump to play golf.
__________________
Dave
Meadmaker is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2017, 05:03 PM   #104
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher
 
Beelzebuddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 5,101
Also in the news today: Lindsey Graham also wants to investigate Trump's business ties to Russia.
Beelzebuddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2017, 05:05 PM   #105
Hercules56
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 1,373
Originally Posted by Beelzebuddy View Post
They need to issue a subpeona for his tax returns.

They can do it, and if he doesn't submit them he is in contempt of Congress
Hercules56 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2017, 05:07 PM   #106
Hercules56
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 1,373
If Trump is smart, he will Tweet that they wanted to fire Comey early on due to his press conference in March but felt it might look political. But his bad testimony on Thursday convinced them he had to go.

But Trump is a moron and will NOT say something like this.

He will say something more stupid, and do more stupid things, and make this firing look like part of a cover up and a Stalinist Purge.
Hercules56 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2017, 05:08 PM   #107
ChristianProgressive
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 1,199
Originally Posted by Beelzebuddy View Post
Protip: run everything Cain says through a high-gain sarcasm filter.
I certainly hope you are correct. Even if he is, though, a lot of people are going to say that or are saying that all over the place in the US who are not being sarcastic. I am repeatecly astonished at just how anti-democratic (small D) a large part of the nation has become.
ChristianProgressive is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2017, 05:08 PM   #108
Babbylonian
Philosopher
 
Babbylonian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 9,229
Here's the problem with lending too much credence to the Deputy Attorney General's letter: There's no way he wrote it on his own hook. At best, he was asked if he thought the FBI Director should be replaced and, if so, to put his thoughts in a memo. He could also have been instructed to provide a memo with a summary of good reasons the FBI Director should be fired.

The bottom line is that it is not something any sub-cabinet official would offer on their own.
__________________
Never let anyone forget that the American people elected a rapist to be their president. President Rapist is the only name that should be used when referring to this evil narcissist.
Babbylonian is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2017, 05:10 PM   #109
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing
 
Meadmaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 15,999
Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
A healthy dose of skepticism strikes me as in order here, but there is far too much cynicism on display. Yes, my BS alarm goes off when it is claimed that the reason for Comey's firing is that he was unfair to Clinton. Is it possible? Yeah, I think Comey got too far out on a weak branch when he tried to satisfy both sides with his "Hillary was reckless but not negligent," formulation on the email server prosecution.

But to jump from that to "this is all about the Russia investigation," is not skepticism, but cynicism. The Russia investigation is going nowhere, for the simple reason that it's a ridiculous attempt at a Hail Mary after time has expired. Functionally it's nothing more than 9-11 Truth or Obama Birtherism was: a desperate attempt to deny the otherwise obvious legitimacy of the current president.
I disagree about the Russia investigation.

In the right wing media, and in some parts of the left wing media, the Russia investigation is about whether the Russians participated in illegally or improperly rigging an election, and therefore showing that Donald Trump is not the legitimate President. In that sense, your description fits.

However, in the halls of Congress, and for the rest of the voters, the Russia investigation is all about what ties the President of the United States has with Vladmir Putin, or other Russian contacts. Russian influence on the election is a small part of that, but no one who can be taken seriously is suggesting that the Russians somehow stole the election. On the other hand, they did seem to want Donald Trump to be President, and a bunch of people close to Trump seem to have a lot of contact with Russians. That is something that makes people very curious.

I don't know if the (former) FBI director had anything to do with that in any meaningful way, such that his departure would be significant to the investigation. However, I know that the real thrust of any Russian connection has nothing to do with rigging an election, but rather on finding out why they were interested in the first place.
__________________
Dave
Meadmaker is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2017, 05:12 PM   #110
Hercules56
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 1,373
Trump clearly decided that the possibility of this looking like a Stalinist Purge in order to hurt the investigation was a lesser evil, compared to Comey finding bad **** on Trump.

Trump assumed he can control the Justice Department and intimidate them into ending the investigation, or stearing away from Trump.

Or he will fire everyone he thinks might want to go there.

But it is TRUMP, who will get booted.
Hercules56 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2017, 05:14 PM   #111
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing
 
The Big Dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 18,842
Originally Posted by Hercules56 View Post
They need to issue a subpeona for his tax returns.

They can do it, and if he doesn't submit them he is in contempt of Congress
wrong, separation of powers.
__________________
INDOCTRINATED!
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2017, 05:14 PM   #112
ChristianProgressive
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 1,199
Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Another of my predictions. Trump appoints an FBI director with the goal of quashing the Russia investigation. The FBI rank and file revolt and we start seeing a slew of whistle blowing leaks.
Cue Deep Throat the Second.

Still, the chances of something very nasty happening have jumped sharply with this action. With the FBI now out of the way, Congress complicit with the regime, and the media sidelined every avenue of removing the regime via legal/legislative process seems all but gone.
ChristianProgressive is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2017, 05:17 PM   #113
Hercules56
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 1,373
Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
wrong, separation of powers.

True, but it will look like he has something to hide.
Hercules56 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2017, 05:19 PM   #114
Cl1mh4224rd
Philosopher
 
Cl1mh4224rd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 9,055
Found this on another website:
Employees fired by Trump:

Sally Yates
Preet Bharara
James Comey

Employees investigating Trump:

Sally Yates
Preet Bharara
James Comey
Cl1mh4224rd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2017, 05:19 PM   #115
Hercules56
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 1,373
Originally Posted by Cl1mh4224rd View Post
Found this on another website:
Employees fired by Trump:

Sally Yates
Preet Bharara
James Comey

Employees investigating Trump:

Sally Yates
Preet Bharara
James Comey
Oh, its all just a big coincidence.

Hercules56 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2017, 05:19 PM   #116
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher
 
Beelzebuddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 5,101
From a Slashdot comment:
Quote:
Employees fired by Trump:

Sally Yates
Preet Bharara
James Comey

Employees investigating Trump:

Sally Yates
Preet Bharara
James Comey
[ETA] Damned ninjas.
Beelzebuddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2017, 05:21 PM   #117
ChristianProgressive
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 1,199
Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
I disagree about the Russia investigation.

In the right wing media, and in some parts of the left wing media, the Russia investigation is about whether the Russians participated in illegally or improperly rigging an election, and therefore showing that Donald Trump is not the legitimate President. In that sense, your description fits.

However, in the halls of Congress, and for the rest of the voters, the Russia investigation is all about what ties the President of the United States has with Vladmir Putin, or other Russian contacts. Russian influence on the election is a small part of that, but no one who can be taken seriously is suggesting that the Russians somehow stole the election. On the other hand, they did seem to want Donald Trump to be President, and a bunch of people close to Trump seem to have a lot of contact with Russians. That is something that makes people very curious.

I don't know if the (former) FBI director had anything to do with that in any meaningful way, such that his departure would be significant to the investigation. However, I know that the real thrust of any Russian connection has nothing to do with rigging an election, but rather on finding out why they were interested in the first place.
On the contrary, a whole bunch of people are saying just that: the election was stolen. And those serious claims need a full investigation. This is not some easy to dismiss or easily refute claim like the Birth Certificate.

16 domesticand at least one foreign intelligence and//or law enforcement agency has said there is credible evidence that Russian operatives influenced the outcome of the election. This information has been corroborated by several independent media outlets.

GIven the supreme importance of guaranteeing power in our government is ONLY transferred by a demonstrably clean vote the Usurper's removal of the only remaining gov't official with both the will and the necessary power to get to the bottom of this is damning.
ChristianProgressive is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2017, 05:21 PM   #118
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing
 
The Big Dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 18,842
Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Using the Clinton excuse is being called cynical by a pundit on MSNBC.
Lets take a look at what NBC was saying this morning about Comey?

Quote:
FBI Director James Comey grossly overstated to Congress the number of emails Hillary Clinton aide Huma Abedin forwarded to husband Anthony Weiner while working at the State Department, the FBI said in a letter to the Senate Judiciary Committee on Tuesday.
lolz
__________________
INDOCTRINATED!
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2017, 05:22 PM   #119
ChristianProgressive
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 1,199
Originally Posted by Hercules56 View Post
True, but it will look like prove he has something to hide.
FIFY. As if we don't have enough proof as it is.
ChristianProgressive is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2017, 05:22 PM   #120
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing
 
CapelDodger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Cardiff, South Wales
Posts: 21,763
Originally Posted by Crucible View Post
I now feel it is very unfair to compare Trump with Erdogan and Kim Jong-un. He should be compared to Henry VIII
I prefer Charles the Bold https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_the_Bold.

His story didn't end well. Not for him, anyway.
__________________
It's a poor sort of memory that only works backward - Lewis Carroll (1832-1898)

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:19 PM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
2014, TribeTech AB. All Rights Reserved.
This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.