ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags classified information , donald trump , national security issues , Trump controversies

Old 15th May 2017, 05:53 PM   #161
Tony Stark
Philosopher

Originally Posted by logger View Post
Do you even know why all these fake news peddlers won't reveal sources? A clue perhaps?
Because the sources make anonymity a condition of talking to the media as they would get fired or worse if their identities were reported.

I bet people like you thought that the Washington Post was just making up Deep Throat back during Watergate. Nope, turns out he was a real source high within the FBI.

Last edited by Tony Stark; 15th May 2017 at 05:54 PM.
Tony Stark is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2017, 05:56 PM   #162
Tony Stark
Philosopher

I was an anonymous source once for a major news story. The reporter knew who I was but didn't reveal my identity because I asked him not to (and this wasn't even something that I could have got in trouble for saying I just didn't want my name in the article). He accurately reported what I told him.

Last edited by Tony Stark; 15th May 2017 at 05:58 PM.
Tony Stark is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2017, 06:01 PM   #163
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Its fascinating in this time of fake news and you've bought it hook line and sinker. The left is horrible because they've created this fake news as they always do.
You're saying it didn't happen? Sounds like Orwellian newsspeak to me.
Old 15th May 2017, 06:01 PM   #164
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

Do you even know why all these fake news peddlers won't reveal sources? A clue perhaps?
Maybe Trump will reveal them for you. Or you could check with the Russians.
Old 15th May 2017, 06:02 PM   #165
Arisia
Graduate Poster

I've been wondering when (not if) a Pentagon Papers/Deep Throat scenario would begin bubbling to the surface... of course, if they go to WaPo or NYT, the apologists will just keep apologizing since those are 'fake news', of course.
Arisia is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2017, 06:06 PM   #166
Regnad Kcin
Philosopher

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
Apparently there were US Intel officials in the room, and the breach was so serious that right after the meeting they alerted the relevant agencies on an urgent basis.
Would it be too much to ask for somebody to find this character an intern to distract him?
Old 15th May 2017, 06:09 PM   #167
Tony Stark
Philosopher

One has to wonder why Trump is so obsessed with finding leakers if all the supposed leaks are just fake news that the corrupt media makes up.
Old 15th May 2017, 06:09 PM   #168
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Regnad Kcin View Post
Would it be too much to ask for somebody to find this character an intern to distract him?
Where is Monica when you need her?
Old 15th May 2017, 06:22 PM   #169
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
Where is Monica when you need her?

It's possible leaving Melania in NYC will be even more costly to the US than previously thought.

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2017, 06:24 PM   #170
Cain
Straussian

Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
One has to wonder why Trump is so obsessed with finding leakers if all the supposed leaks are just fake news that the corrupt media makes up.
"The leaks are absolutely real. The news is fake." -- Donald J. Trump
Cain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2017, 06:27 PM   #171
Tony Stark
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Cain View Post
"The leaks are absolutely real. The news is fake." -- Donald J. Trump
Wow he really said that. What a moron.
Old 15th May 2017, 06:27 PM   #172
logger
Philosopher

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
You're saying it didn't happen? Sounds like Orwellian newsspeak to me.
How can I say that? I'm not saying it did or didn't. I've just been here many times before. It just gives off the air of fake.
logger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2017, 06:32 PM   #173
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

How can I say that? I'm not saying it did or didn't. I've just been here many times before. It just gives off the air of fake.
So it's a feeling you get?

Tom McGuane
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2017, 06:38 PM   #174
logger
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Resume View Post
Enjoy!
http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-0...entagon-denies
logger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2017, 06:41 PM   #175
phiwum
Philosopher

You went with a site known as being conspiratorial and pro-Russian?

When was the last time you even tried?
phiwum is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2017, 06:43 PM   #176
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Tom McGuane
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2017, 06:44 PM   #177
Tony Stark
Philosopher

The White House provides a non-denial denial for the Russia leak story

Quote:
The administration is scrambling to defend the Post’s reporting, hastily sending out National Security Adviser H.R. McMaster to provide a very brief press conference.

Here’s the key part: “the story that came out tonight, as reported, is false. ... At no time were intelligence sources or methods discussed.”

However, McMaster is issuing a non-denial denial — denying something that wasn’t actually reported. To be clear, the Post says that Trump shared intelligence provided by the source, not that the president leaked who the source is.

But the Russians are very capable in the intelligence field and, if the reporting is true, should be able to reverse-engineer the information and figure out who the source is.

This is a big deal. The Russians now have information that even some of America’s top allies do not have, and on top of that, they can find out where this information might be coming from.
Old 15th May 2017, 06:46 PM   #178
Shalamar
Dark Lord of the JREF

Good thing it wasn't Hillary who did this. The rightists would be building the scaffold...

"The truth is out there. But the lies are inside your head."
Shalamar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2017, 06:47 PM   #179
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

That's what you said about Watergate.A left wing conspiracy if I remember correctly.
Old 15th May 2017, 06:50 PM   #180
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2017, 06:50 PM   #181
logger
Philosopher

When something is giving off bad air, it's usually not about feelings.
Old 15th May 2017, 06:52 PM   #182
ferd burfle
Graduate Poster

Loose cannon Trump pulls the rug out from under McMaster, Tillerson and logger in 3, 2, 1...
Old 15th May 2017, 06:52 PM   #183
logger
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Shalamar View Post
Good thing it wasn't Hillary who did this. The rightists would be building the scaffold...
If Hillary was involved. People would have died.
Old 15th May 2017, 06:56 PM   #184
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

When something is giving off bad air, it's usually not about feelings.
I'll agree that it stinks to high heaven that Trump couldn't help but let his emotions get the better of him, showboating in front of the Russians and all.

Tom McGuane
Old 15th May 2017, 06:56 PM   #185
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

If Hillary was involved. People would have died.
Give it time. Seems to me Trump has already cost lives.
Old 15th May 2017, 06:56 PM   #186
Arisia
Graduate Poster

People just might, the night is still young.
Arisia is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2017, 06:58 PM   #187
Cleon
King of the Pod People

Well, there should be an entertaining twitter rant to wake up to tomorrow, so there's that.
Old 15th May 2017, 06:58 PM   #188
logger
Philosopher

showboating in front of the Russians and all.
You know this how?
Old 15th May 2017, 07:00 PM   #189
logger
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Cleon View Post
Well, there should be an entertaining twitter rant to wake up to tomorrow, so there's that.
That phone definetly needs to be taken away!
Old 15th May 2017, 07:00 PM   #190
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Cleon View Post
I picture Trump sneaking his smart phone out from under his pillow after his minders have gone to bed.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2017, 07:03 PM   #191
Tony Stark
Philosopher

That phone definetly needs to be taken away!
The president can't even be trusted with a smartphone and a twitter account yet you people still approve of him.
Old 15th May 2017, 07:03 PM   #192
ddt
Mafia Penguin

Originally Posted by Shalamar View Post
What about dusting off the chair that fried the Rosenbergs?

What must happen before Paul Ryan, Mitch McConnel and the rest of the GOP sycophants impeach this loose cannon? I have a hunch there's a retired grandma who'd love to return to Capitol Hill to share her expertise in that area.

"I think it is very beautiful for the poor to accept their lot, to share it with the passion of Christ. I think the world is being much helped by the suffering of the poor people." - "Saint" Teresa, the lying thieving Albanian dwarf
ddt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2017, 07:04 PM   #193
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

You know this how?
We've been here many times before; Trump does this all the time, shooting off his mouth before he thinks. All because of his tremendous ego.

Tom McGuane

Last edited by Resume; 15th May 2017 at 07:05 PM. Reason: typo
Old 15th May 2017, 07:05 PM   #194
Cleon
King of the Pod People

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
I picture Trump sneaking his smart phone out from under his pillow after his minders have gone to bed.
And then his aides bursting in, trying to grab it away as he pulls it away--

"No! It's MINE! I'm president! Mine!"
Old 15th May 2017, 07:05 PM   #195
Tony Stark
Philosopher

Originally Posted by ddt View Post
What about dusting off the chair that fried the Rosenbergs?

What must happen before Paul Ryan, Mitch McConnel and the rest of the GOP sycophants impeach this loose cannon? I have a hunch there's a retired grandma who'd love to return to Capitol Hill to share her expertise in that area.
He loses a lot more support from Republican voters. So probably never.
Old 15th May 2017, 07:07 PM   #196
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

The president can't even be trusted with a smartphone and a twitter account yet you people still approve of him.
even worse they trust him with nuclear launch codes!

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)
My Apollo Page.
PhantomWolf is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2017, 07:08 PM   #197
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

The president is the ultimate authority regarding classified information. This probably wasn't illegal in and of itself.
Which, of course, is hardly the point.

The point is, to my mind, that Trump revealed this information so he could boast about the great intel he gets all the time. ("'Intel" is short for intelligence, y'know, not everybody knows that.)

It's beyond words, and must have tested even our Russian friends' notorious talents in the deadpan department. I hope someone taped their conversation in the car back to the embassy. And the call home : "Vladamirovitch, You will not freakin' believe this!".

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2017, 07:09 PM   #198
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
even worse they trust him with nuclear launch codes!
They say they do.

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2017, 07:12 PM   #199
Shalamar
Dark Lord of the JREF

Originally Posted by CapelDodger View Post
They say they do.
I suspect that the 'football' is actually a speak and spell. I doubt he would notice.

"The truth is out there. But the lies are inside your head."
Shalamar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2017, 07:12 PM   #200
ddt
Mafia Penguin

Originally Posted by snoop_doxie View Post
Why would the POTUS want to give away intel that AMERICAN
men and women worked hard to get, and now, maybe someone will die because
of that idiot's pathological need to be right and the "best".
The intel that the Idiot-in-Chief gave to the Russians came from an ally. So somewhere in Syria, right now there's a British spy, or a French spy, or a Dutch spy, or ..., who has to fear for their life.

"I think it is very beautiful for the poor to accept their lot, to share it with the passion of Christ. I think the world is being much helped by the suffering of the poor people." - "Saint" Teresa, the lying thieving Albanian dwarf
ddt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics