ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags classified information , donald trump , national security issues , Trump controversies

Old 15th May 2017, 07:14 PM   #201
NoahFence
Psycho Kitty

Again I ask...
Is this the end?
Old 15th May 2017, 07:17 PM   #202
Shalamar
Dark Lord of the JREF

Originally Posted by NoahFence View Post
Again I ask...
Is this the end?
No. Nothing is likely to happen to President Trump. He'll last out his full term.

"The truth is out there. But the lies are inside your head."
Shalamar is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2017, 07:18 PM   #203
ddt
Mafia Penguin

Originally Posted by Regnad Kcin View Post
Would it be too much to ask for somebody to find this character an intern to distract him?

"I think it is very beautiful for the poor to accept their lot, to share it with the passion of Christ. I think the world is being much helped by the suffering of the poor people." - "Saint" Teresa, the lying thieving Albanian dwarf
ddt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2017, 07:18 PM   #204
Tony Stark
Philosopher

Again I ask...
Is this the end?
I wouldn't get my hopes up.
Tony Stark is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2017, 07:19 PM   #205
ddt
Mafia Penguin

Originally Posted by Shalamar View Post
No. Nothing is likely to happen to President Trump. He'll last out his full term.
Four more years of this circus? Hell please no.

"I think it is very beautiful for the poor to accept their lot, to share it with the passion of Christ. I think the world is being much helped by the suffering of the poor people." - "Saint" Teresa, the lying thieving Albanian dwarf
ddt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2017, 07:19 PM   #206
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Again I ask...
Is this the end?
Simple answer. Nope.
Old 15th May 2017, 07:24 PM   #207
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Again I ask...
Is this the end?
I doubt it. He could shoot the British Ambassador in cold blood in the middle of the Oval Office on live TV, and you'd have all the Republicans claiming it was self defence and he was just invoking his 2nd Amendment rights.

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)
My Apollo Page.
PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2017, 07:25 PM   #208
TheRealnz
Critical Thinker

At no time were any intelligence sources or methods discussed and no military operations were disclosed that were not already known publicly,” said Army Lt. Gen. H.R. McMaster.

McMaster later told reporters at the White House, “Other senior officials who were present, including the secretary of state, remember the meeting the same way and have said so. Their on-the-record accounts should outweigh those of anonymous sources. I was in the room, it didn’t happen.”

“This story is false. The president only discussed the common threats that both countries faced,” added Dina Powell, Deputy National Security Advisor for Strategy, who also attended the meeting.
TheRealnz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2017, 07:27 PM   #209
Tony Stark
Philosopher

Originally Posted by TheRealnz View Post
At no time were any intelligence sources or methods discussed and no military operations were disclosed that were not already known publicly,” said Army Lt. Gen. H.R. McMaster.

McMaster later told reporters at the White House, “Other senior officials who were present, including the secretary of state, remember the meeting the same way and have said so. Their on-the-record accounts should outweigh those of anonymous sources. I was in the room, it didn’t happen.”

“This story is false. The president only discussed the common threats that both countries faced,” added Dina Powell, Deputy National Security Advisor for Strategy, who also attended the meeting.
The White House provides a non-denial denial for the Russia leak story

Quote:
However, McMaster is issuing a non-denial denial — denying something that wasn’t actually reported. To be clear, the Post says that Trump shared intelligence provided by the source, not that the president leaked who the source is.
Tony Stark is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2017, 07:28 PM   #210
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Originally Posted by TheRealnz View Post

"I am not a crook."

Tom McGuane
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2017, 07:29 PM   #211
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
Yeah, repeatedly posting that obviously false article does not make it true.
Old 15th May 2017, 07:30 PM   #212
Tony Stark
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
It being true makes it true. McMaster is denying something that the WaPo didn't even report.
Old 15th May 2017, 07:33 PM   #213
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Arisia View Post
People just might, the night is still young.

Two things being conveyed...

First, reporters were describing the TVs being turned up to cover the sound of a loud bit of yelling (at Bannon?, Priebus? etc.).

That's hilarious.

Second, the night is not so young East Coast time. 10:30ish and they uncharacteristically have still not called a full lid on the press.

That is more ominous.
(Ok... and hilarious too. )

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2017, 07:37 PM   #214
Tony Stark
Philosopher

Denying things that weren't actually reported by the WaPo is an implicit admission that what they reported is true.
Old 15th May 2017, 07:39 PM   #215
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl

Originally Posted by Resume View Post
We've been here many times before; Trump does this all the time, shooting off his mouth before he thinks. All because of his tremendous ego.
The clear pattern is Trump loves hobnobbing with the rich and powerful in addition to, or as part of his extreme narcissism.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2017, 07:40 PM   #216
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Things are fun (for us "libruls") when a Republican Ethics Lawyer* (almost choked typing that) spends so much time excoriating the "Republican" POTUS.

* That's Richard Painter of course... I swear I believe that man would love to bitch slap Trump if he thought the USSS would allow it.

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.

Last edited by Jim_MDP; 15th May 2017 at 07:42 PM.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2017, 07:41 PM   #217
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl

I suspect that the 'football' is actually a speak and spell. I doubt he would notice.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2017, 07:43 PM   #218
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl

Again I ask...
Is this the end?
I think we're getting there. I still say we just need to hold on until Nov 2018 but Trump may not make that possible.

It's one thing to get away with making a bunch of BS promises. It's another when you are actually charged with the job and the fact the emperor has no clothes becomes painfully apparent.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 15th May 2017 at 07:44 PM.
Old 15th May 2017, 07:44 PM   #219
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

It being true makes it true. McMaster is denying something that the WaPo didn't even report.
Exactly and which goes quite a distance to confirm what was reported!
If someone is accused of stealing a car and in a carefully crafted response they deny stealing a yellow car, any smart person will begin to wonder just what color was the car that they did steal.

Trump really has presented the problem of what do you do with a President who is probably the greatest single threat the USA faces today. The 25th Amendment is created for this kind of purpose, but will there be enough Republicans in Congress brave enough to invoke it? I have no doubt many of them recognize the threat and go to bed every night deeply frightened of what Trump may do next. But will that fear and internal love of country (and I believe some have that too) make them break with official policy and do something public to fix it?

Last edited by Giordano; 15th May 2017 at 07:51 PM.
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2017, 07:49 PM   #220
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Unless the House and Senate are turned to Democratic party control in 2018. If that happens, he'll be impeached as soon as the Democrats take over.
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2017, 07:50 PM   #221
Tony Stark
Philosopher

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
Unless the House and Senate are turned to Democratic party control in 2018. If that happens, he'll be impeached as soon as the Democrats take over.
The Senate is very unlikely to flip to the Democrats in 2018 and even if it does they would need lots of Republicans to vote to convict him of an impeachment (2/3 of the Senate is needed).
Old 15th May 2017, 07:58 PM   #222
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:

“This story is false. The president only discussed the common threats that both countries faced,”
added Dina Powell, Deputy National Security Advisor for Strategy, who also attended the meeting.
sounds like a denial denial, you might want to take it up with Vox and their fake ass news.
Old 15th May 2017, 08:02 PM   #223
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

sounds like a denial denial, you might want to take it up with Vox and their fake ass news.
Perhaps as has proven true of these "denials" by people paid by Trump to rearrange the facts after the event we will discover the full truth in the next few days.

As to the Secretary of State etc.: "they remember the meeting the same way." Exactly what way was the "way" that they agree on? Do they agree that Trump never said the things that the newspapers never claimed?

TBD: you are smart. You know how conniving people, given a little time, can invent clever wording to deceive our ears but not actually deny the truth (paraphrased from MacBeth). The wording here is very suspicious. We will see for certain very soon.

Last edited by Giordano; 15th May 2017 at 08:10 PM. Reason: Stuff added.
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2017, 08:04 PM   #224
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ddt View Post
The intel that the Idiot-in-Chief gave to the Russians came from an ally. So somewhere in Syria, right now there's a British spy, or a French spy, or a Dutch spy, or ..., who has to fear for their life.
If it's from GCHQ (they have a station on Cyprus) they'll be livid. In concert with the FBI they could ruin Trump's life without breaking sweat.

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2017, 08:06 PM   #225
I Am The Scum
Illuminator

So we're faced with three options:

1. Multiple media outlets conspired to fake a story about Donald Trump doing something stupid.
2. Multiple sources within the White House conspired to fake a story to multiple media outlets about Donald Trump doing something stupid.
3. Donald Trump actually did something stupid, likely in an attempt to impress powerful Russian people.
I Am The Scum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2017, 08:07 PM   #226
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Resume View Post
"I am not a crook."
Political cartoon I saw over the weekend by (Orfan?..LA Times? Not sure if name or publication are correct, but contents are easy to remember.) Trump sits at Oval Office desk and says "I am nyet a crook."
Old 15th May 2017, 08:11 PM   #227
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
Political cartoon I saw over the weekend by (Orfan?..LA Times? Not sure if name or publication are correct, but contents are easy to remember.) Trump sits at Oval Office desk and says "I am nyet a crook."
That's a good one.
Old 15th May 2017, 08:18 PM   #228
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Again I ask...
Is this the end?
The ramifications of this incident may well include the premature termination of the Trump Presidency, in my opinion. The combined and interacting ramifications of this last week almost certainly will.

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2017, 08:20 PM   #229
Tony Stark
Philosopher

A real denial would be them outright claiming that your hero did not share with the Russians highly classified info given to the US by an ally. Instead they play word games intended to decieve credulous morons.
Old 15th May 2017, 08:22 PM   #230
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

The Senate is very unlikely to flip to the Democrats in 2018 and even if it does they would need lots of Republicans to vote to convict him of an impeachment (2/3 of the Senate is needed).
It's only a 2 seat majority. It could flip. But it's a long way off. It really depends on a lot of things. Mostly it's if people really get sick of it or him. Does Trump's support soften. Are there some real crimes behind this. If actual collusion between Trump and the Russians can be proven not just maybe a single staff member.

I'd bet if you held a secret poll among Republicans Congressmen and Senators if they could send Trump packing 70 to 80 percent of them would do it in a heartbeat. They don't like him. They like having a Republican in the White House. They are just afraid of his base.
Old 15th May 2017, 08:24 PM   #231
Minoosh
Philosopher

I'm impressed to find a 6-page thread on this that I missed until now, after reading the story pretty early in the afternoon. I just thought, well, that's Trump. Scandal fatigue is setting in. I always knew he was going to blab classified info to impress someone. We really have no way of knowing at present whether any damage was done. I hope what he's doing is at least gradually alarming his Cabinet because those are the guys who have the power to remove him. Whenever he burns a Cabinet member I take heart.

I read somewhere his meetings tend to be packed, instead of handled with a few key staff who can drive the day's agenda forward. So at least a lot of people see him screwing up. As for McMaster and Tillerson, their narrative will be aimed at protecting the president, but privately they may be thinking WTF is this guy doing?! Are they going to follow him of a cliff?

Last edited by Minoosh; 15th May 2017 at 08:37 PM. Reason: typo
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2017, 08:26 PM   #232
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

While repeatedly posting the denials by three persons, all of whom work for the POTUS and all of whom were appointed by the POTUS,.... now that's confirmation, I tell ya!
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2017, 08:27 PM   #233
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

A real denial would be them outright claiming that your hero did not share with the Russians highly classified info given to the US by an ally.
No-one can argue the scenario is not credible. One can easily argue it's predictable, given that something like this has long and often been predicted.

Quote:
Instead they play word games intended to decieve credulous morons.
How many minutes of tape have been sacrificed to this affair, one wonders. Not that it matters : the Russians will have their own copy.

Last edited by CapelDodger; 15th May 2017 at 08:31 PM.
Old 15th May 2017, 08:28 PM   #234
Delphic Oracle
Graduate Poster

I had that same impulse upon reading it, some masterful tip-toeing around the landmine that was.
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2017, 08:35 PM   #235
Minoosh
Philosopher

Originally Posted by CapelDodger View Post
How many minutes of tape have been sacrificed to this affair, one wonders. Not that it matters : the Russians will have their own copy.
I have a feeling it's all digitized and turned into thumb drives, or something more advanced given my tech knowledge is out of date. Maybe it's in The Cloud.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2017, 08:45 PM   #236
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by I Am The Scum View Post
So we're faced with three options:

1. Multiple media outlets conspired to fake a story about Donald Trump doing something stupid.
2. Multiple sources within the White House conspired to fake a story to multiple media outlets about Donald Trump doing something stupid.
3. Donald Trump actually did something stupid, likely in an attempt to impress powerful Russian people.
Holy ****! Donald Trump did something stupid! You've got him now, progs!
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2017, 08:49 PM   #237
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
I read somewhere his meetings tend to be packed, instead of handled with a few key staff who can drive the day's agenda forward. So at least a lot of people see him screwing up.
And of course it leaks. There are clearly multiple sources for this story, all telling a coherent and very credible story.

Quote:
As for McMaster and Tillerson, their narrative will be aimed at protecting the president, but privately they make be thinking WTF is this guy doing?! Are they going to follow him of a cliff?
Tillerson's taking him abroad soon, to visit places of interest, meet notable foreigners, and say god only knows what while he's about it. No doubt he's looking forward to the ride.

Old 15th May 2017, 08:53 PM   #238
sts60
Master Poster

If this intelligence leak really happened, Trump committed at least one felony if he did not specifically declassify or clear the Russians to receive it. I'm pretty sure the President just blurting out information is not the same as declassifying it.

Either way, he caused "exceptionally grave damage", as it says on all the materials I have to rebrief on what seems like every six weeks, to our national security. He may not have specifically named "sources and methods", as McMaster's carefully-worded excuse said, but he certainly compromised them. He also caused significant damage to our relationship with the intelligence service of whatever ally furnished us with this information, receiving in return our guarantee we would keep it safe.

I would go to jail for years and years if I did what Trump did. He gets defended by people who wrap themselves in the flag but are absolutely willing to throw their own nation under the bus because it makes libruls mad or some other infantile reason; or gets Congressmen saying it's "concerning" but willing to let the treachery and corruption and incompetence go on as long as it helps them cut taxes for the richest folks, and thus line their own pockets.

Useful idiots, some of them; traitors, the others. The sets intersect - Trump belongs to both.
sts60 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2017, 08:54 PM   #239
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl

Originally Posted by Delphic Oracle View Post
I had that same impulse upon reading it, some masterful tip-toeing around the landmine that was.
The pro-Trump TV pundits are claiming they heard Tillerson and McMasters say "the story was false" even when the actual wording was pointed out to them.

"A man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest. Lie la lie...."
Old 15th May 2017, 08:58 PM   #240
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
I have a feeling it's all digitized and turned into thumb drives, or something more advanced given my tech knowledge is out of date. Maybe it's in The Cloud.
I like the pre-Neuromancer idiom that's come back recently.

<SNIP>

Edited by Locknar:  SNIPed, rule 11.

Last edited by Locknar; 16th May 2017 at 04:36 AM.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics