ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 18th May 2017, 03:56 AM   #1
baron
Illuminator

RIP UK Justice

So, a drug addict father of 25 kids (23 actually, as two are now dead) by 18 different women tortures his latest newborn baby over a period of at least a week, fracturing her ribs 40 times, cracking her skull and delivering fatal brain damage, then cooks up a plan with his girlfriend to cover up the murder by strapping the dead baby to the latter's chest, boarding a bus then pretending the child had simply passed away. As the girlfriend set off on her journey the couple gave each other the thumbs up. The girlfriend sent a few texts on her phone and then raised the alarm and sat back as fellow passengers attempted to revive the dead baby.

Both were jailed for 11 years which in the UK means a maximum of 5.5 years in jail and the rest on licence, unless further crimes are committed in custody.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...by-jailed.html

(The DM is the only one currently updated with the sentence)

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...-a7693666.html

So I'm left wondering what exactly is the point? Why bother? This junkie will come out of jail and deposit his junk in some other excuse for a mother and hey presto another kid appears to be abused and murdered.

US justice has many flaws but is there really any justification for allowing these creatures to continue to breathe air?
Old 18th May 2017, 04:06 AM   #2
Worm
Graduate Poster

You're advocating the death penalty? Good luck with that.

Not all cults are bad - I've joined a cult of niceness
Worm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2017, 04:14 AM   #3
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by Worm View Post
You're advocating the death penalty? Good luck with that.
How about address the issue and ignore baron's hyperbole. What do you do think of the sentence? I think it's a disgraceful joke.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2017, 04:16 AM   #4
Elaedith
Muse

They were both acquitted of murder, which means the jury could not determine which of them was directly responsible for causing the injuries.
Elaedith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2017, 04:18 AM   #5
Worm
Graduate Poster

It certainly sounds light, based on the available information, but I don't know enough about similar cases to understand how it fits into the overall approach that is taken in such situations.

Worm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2017, 04:23 AM   #6
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

These stories fill me with despair. They happen in Australia too. The culprits are beyond redemption, and the justice system should deal with them harshly. They will be free far too soon and be able to breed again and abuse their offspring. This is not justice.

Sterilisation of both? That would not be out of the question for me.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2017, 04:26 AM   #7
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by Elaedith View Post
They were both acquitted of murder, which means the jury could not determine which of them was directly responsible for causing the injuries.
And yet a baby was tortured and killed. I'm with baron. No justice here.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 18th May 2017, 04:26 AM   #8
Agatha
Winking at the Moon

I agree that the sentences are too light, but given that they were acquitted of murder and convicted of "causing or allowing" the baby's death, the sentences are within the guidelines; the maximum sentence for that is 14 years according to the Sentencing Guidelines.

I don't support the death penalty under any circumstances but I would like to see crimes against the person sentenced more harshly than they are now.

Vodka kills salmonella and all other enemies of freedom for sure - Nationalcosmopolitan
Agatha is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2017, 04:46 AM   #9
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

I don't think we can say that British justice is dead until justice has run its course. It is perfectly possible that there could be an appeal against the leniency of the sentences.

I thought that a murder charge had the option of conversion to manslaughter, so I am surprised that this wasn't the charge they were convicted of. Perhaps any lawyers here might help with the understanding of that.

That's what we've sunk to here.
MikeG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2017, 04:57 AM   #10
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
One can always hope something really bad happens to his nuts while he's incarcerated. Better still, something worse happens to his skull.
Old 18th May 2017, 05:10 AM   #11
3point14
Pi

Jesus, now I'm depressed.

We are lions, not tigers.
Turns out I don't know a lot about tigers.
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2017, 05:13 AM   #12
Information Analyst
Philosopher

Originally Posted by lionking View Post
How about address the issue and ignore baron's hyperbole. What do you do think of the sentence? I think it's a disgraceful joke.
I'd be surprised if the sentence wasn't appealed and increased. I also suspect that neither will make model prisoners, and so serving the full term is pretty much assured, either way. One would also hope that their obvious pychological problem receive some attention, as well.

Last edited by Information Analyst; 18th May 2017 at 05:16 AM.
Information Analyst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2017, 05:16 AM   #13
3point14
Pi

Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
One can always hope something really bad happens to his nuts while he's incarcerated. Better still, something worse happens to his skull.

No. Let's hope that formal, legitimate justice is done and not hope for any vigilante 'justice'.

3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2017, 05:16 AM   #14
Hungry81
Graduate Poster

Pure stupidity. The judge and jury must be on drugs.
Hungry81 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2017, 05:19 AM   #15
Giz
Philosopher

I would think that in the USA, they would both be guilty of felony murder. Which sounds right, and would see them sentenced appropriately.
Giz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2017, 06:48 AM   #16
baron
Illuminator

This is where the law fails in this instance. It's my understanding that the law permits a reduced charge for multiple people when a) one or more of them has definitely committed murder and b) there is no evidence to demonstrate which. So, if two people go into a room in which a third is murdered then, in the absence of further evidence, neither can be found guilty of murder. What should be the case is that all should be charged with murder, with additional time being given for their non-cooperation.

Originally Posted by lionking View Post
These stories fill me with despair. They happen in Australia too. The culprits are beyond redemption, and the justice system should deal with them harshly. They will be free far too soon and be able to breed again and abuse their offspring. This is not justice.

Sterilisation of both? That would not be out of the question for me.
In the absence of harsher punishments that is exactly what I'd mandate. I can't think of a reason not to do so. Of course, proper sentencing would make the issue moot (or so you'd think - it was reported only yesterday that an inmate in a UK prison got a guard pregnant).
Old 18th May 2017, 06:50 AM   #17
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Are UK taxpayers paying to raise all those kids?

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2017, 06:52 AM   #18
Worm
Graduate Poster

I sincerely hope so.

Old 18th May 2017, 07:05 AM   #19
3point14
Pi

Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post
Well, it's either that or let them die.

And anyway, it's not a payment, it's an investment. Well looked after and well educated, those kids will pay back in taxes much more than they cost.

Not investing in their future would probably leave the taxpayer paying for their life as adults either by provision of social safety net or at her majesties pleasure.

Edit: I do hope that whoever it was that cause the ******** 'taxes are evil' meme to be spread around the world is burning in agony in a hell I don't believe in.

Last edited by 3point14; 18th May 2017 at 07:07 AM.
Old 18th May 2017, 07:09 AM   #20
Worm
Graduate Poster

Yeah, I should probably have expanded a little there.

'all those kids' have done nothing wrong, and deserve support, care and kindness. Their parents are apparently incapable of providing it, so it's down to the rest of us.

Old 18th May 2017, 07:10 AM   #21
Elaedith
Muse

Originally Posted by baron View Post
This is where the law fails in this instance. It's my understanding that the law permits a reduced charge for multiple people when a) one or more of them has definitely committed murder and b) there is no evidence to demonstrate which. So, if two people go into a room in which a third is murdered then, in the absence of further evidence, neither can be found guilty of murder. What should be the case is that all should be charged with murder, with additional time being given for their non-cooperation.

In the absence of harsher punishments that is exactly what I'd mandate. I can't think of a reason not to do so. Of course, proper sentencing would make the issue moot (or so you'd think - it was reported only yesterday that an inmate in a UK prison got a guard pregnant).
They were both charged with murder and were both acquitted.

You seem to be implying that when it isn't possible to prove who committed a murder, juries should just convict everyone who might have done it.
Elaedith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2017, 07:14 AM   #22
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

So, a drug addict father of 25 kids (23 actually, as two are now dead) by 18 different women tortures his latest newborn baby over a period of at least a week, fracturing her ribs 40 times, cracking her skull and delivering fatal brain damage, then cooks up a plan with his girlfriend to cover up the murder by strapping the dead baby to the latter's chest, boarding a bus then pretending the child had simply passed away. As the girlfriend set off on her journey the couple gave each other the thumbs up. The girlfriend sent a few texts on her phone and then raised the alarm and sat back as fellow passengers attempted to revive the dead baby.

Both were jailed for 11 years which in the UK means a maximum of 5.5 years in jail and the rest on licence, unless further crimes are committed in custody.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...by-jailed.html

(The DM is the only one currently updated with the sentence)

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...-a7693666.html

So I'm left wondering what exactly is the point? Why bother? This junkie will come out of jail and deposit his junk in some other excuse for a mother and hey presto another kid appears to be abused and murdered.

US justice has many flaws but is there really any justification for allowing these creatures to continue to breathe air?
No. Nor for leaving this realm not in severe pain.

Wash this space!

We fight for the Lady Babylon!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2017, 07:15 AM   #23
baron
Illuminator

You seem to be implying that when it isn't possible to prove who committed a murder, juries should just convict everyone who might have done it.
I doubt that's what I was implying.
Old 18th May 2017, 07:16 AM   #24
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Originally Posted by 3point14 View Post
Well, it's either that or let them die.

And anyway, it's not a payment, it's an investment. Well looked after and well educated, those kids will pay back in taxes much more than they cost.

Not investing in their future would probably leave the taxpayer paying for their life as adults either by provision of social safety net or at her majesties pleasure.

Edit: I do hope that whoever it was that cause the ******** 'taxes are evil' meme to be spread around the world is burning in agony in a hell I don't believe in.
Yes, yes they should be!!!!

Wash this space!

We fight for the Lady Babylon!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2017, 07:21 AM   #25
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

I doubt that's what I was implying.
So, if two people go into a room in which a third is murdered then, in the absence of further evidence, neither can be found guilty of murder. What should be the case is that all should be charged with murder, with additional time being given for their non-cooperation.
Looks rather like you are, actually, with a Prisoner's Dilemma being dumped on any one of them who's innocent on top of all that.

Dave
Me: So what you're saying is that, if the load carrying ability of the lower structure is reduced to the point where it can no longer support the load above it, it will collapse without a jolt, right?

Tony Szamboti: That is right
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2017, 07:38 AM   #26
baron
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post
Looks rather like you are, actually, with a Prisoner's Dilemma being dumped on any one of them who's innocent on top of all that.

Dave
So answer me this hypothetical: A man murders his daughter whilst the mother watches. They conspire to dispose of the body. They are apprehended. In court, both deny the charge of murder.

Which of the two is the innocent one?
Old 18th May 2017, 07:41 AM   #27
TraneWreck
Philosopher

I was an appointed attorney for families who had a child removed from their home by the state (abuse, neglect...etc.). It was all horrible on a sliding scale from "these people *********** suck" to "holy ****, I think we need a new flood - someone talk to God."

There was one woman I remember vividly who had 4 children removed from her care and placed in a foster home - 1 by 1. After she lost the 4th, she screamed at the prosecutor in the hall, "I'm going to keep having *********** kids until you let me keep one."
TraneWreck is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2017, 07:56 AM   #28
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

So, if two people go into a room in which a third is murdered then, in the absence of further evidence, neither can be found guilty of murder. What should be the case is that all should be charged with murder, with additional time being given for their non-cooperation.
Now you are being ridiculous. That is nothing like the situation here. The collusion would probably point to an "accessory" charge for either or both. I believe that with this collusion they could even be charged with felony murder in the US.

However, your scenario wouldn't even rise to the level of "preponderance of the evidence" let alone "beyond reasonable doubt". There should be no place in the legal system for sentencing somebody just because they might be guilty. If that were the case then we could dispense with trials altogether and just have sentencing hearings.
Old 18th May 2017, 08:07 AM   #29
Information Analyst
Philosopher

Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post
Given his age, I would expect some of them will be adults now, and while we don't know of the circumstance of those who are still minors, I daresay most of them will be living with their mothers, unless they've been adopted.
Information Analyst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2017, 08:09 AM   #30
Elaedith
Muse

So answer me this hypothetical: A man murders his daughter whilst the mother watches. They conspire to dispose of the body. They are apprehended. In court, both deny the charge of murder.

Which of the two is the innocent one?
The mother might be innocent of murder if she did not know beforehand that the murder would take place and was not acting in concert, or was under duress. Conspiring to dispose of a body is not the same charge as murder.

Prior to the introduction of the 'causing or allowing the death of a child' law, the outcome in cases where it could not be proven who actually caused a death was that both could be acquitted of murder and escape any punishment at all (or in this case, possibly only a conviction for something like concealing a death). The law was introduced specifically to stop this happening, from what I understand.
Old 18th May 2017, 08:14 AM   #31
angrysoba
Philosophile

Hmmm... I remember Theodore Dalrymple made an argument for why he is against the death penalty. He's no wet liberal, by the way, but he did work in prisons and an NHS hospital in, I think, Birmingham. When people expressed surprise that someone with so obviously reactionary views as his was against the death penalty claiming that he surely must know at least one person who was bad enough to be beyond redemption he pointed out that of course he knew that. In fact, there were so many that he wouldn't know where to stop applying the death penalty. In his view, there are masses of scumbags around who spend most of their lives immiserating themselves and others. He is such a misanthropist that it is an effort of will to realize that people need to be convicted of what they have done according to rigourous law and not punished on the basis of how much we inevitably hate them. This is a similar case. Baron's biography of the main perpetrator sickens me, but just because I can't stand the non-criminal elements of his being it does not mean he should be punished to a greater degree than he otherwise would be.
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2017, 08:21 AM   #32
baron
Illuminator

The mother might be innocent of murder if she did not know beforehand that the murder would take place and was not acting in concert, or was under duress. Conspiring to dispose of a body is not the same charge as murder.

Prior to the introduction of the 'causing or allowing the death of a child' law, the outcome in cases where it could not be proven who actually caused a death was that both could be acquitted of murder and escape any punishment at all (or in this case, possibly only a conviction for something like concealing a death). The law was introduced specifically to stop this happening, from what I understand.
If it's easier, let's cut through the terminology ('murder', 'manslaughter', 'causing or allowing the death of a child') and say that 'causing or allowing the death of a child' should attract the same penalty as murder. I see little difference between this and joint enterprise, where a person may be convicted of murder without ever having touched the victim. Indeed, the only difference is that in the latter case the perpetrator is known.

This is of course completely different to saying that two people who may have committed a murder should be convicted if the evidence doesn't point clearly to one of them, and the other having been complicit.

Last edited by baron; 18th May 2017 at 08:33 AM.
baron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2017, 08:32 AM   #33
baron
Illuminator

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
Hmmm... I remember Theodore Dalrymple made an argument for why he is against the death penalty. He's no wet liberal, by the way, but he did work in prisons and an NHS hospital in, I think, Birmingham. When people expressed surprise that someone with so obviously reactionary views as his was against the death penalty claiming that he surely must know at least one person who was bad enough to be beyond redemption he pointed out that of course he knew that. In fact, there were so many that he wouldn't know where to stop applying the death penalty. In his view, there are masses of scumbags around who spend most of their lives immiserating themselves and others. He is such a misanthropist that it is an effort of will to realize that people need to be convicted of what they have done according to rigourous law and not punished on the basis of how much we inevitably hate them. This is a similar case. Baron's biography of the main perpetrator sickens me, but just because I can't stand the non-criminal elements of his being it does not mean he should be punished to a greater degree than he otherwise would be.
That's probably the only way of effectively implementing criminal justice using anything like the current system, but I'm not being entirely unserious when I say the idea of examining a person's worth to society, in special instances, would be a reasonable course of action. Naturally we can't go around pointing to people and declaring them a burden on society and chucking them in jail, or hanging them, but I do suggest some crimes should lay the perpetrator open to a life review which would assess their wider impact on society and the world in general. A sort of entropy rating if you like; Entropy too High? Sentenced to Die. Some people, like it or not, have such a consistent and considerable negative impact on all they encounter that their absence would bring nothing but benefit.
Old 18th May 2017, 09:37 AM   #34
Giz
Philosopher

That's probably the only way of effectively implementing criminal justice using anything like the current system, but I'm not being entirely unserious when I say the idea of examining a person's worth to society, in special instances, would be a reasonable course of action. Naturally we can't go around pointing to people and declaring them a burden on society and chucking them in jail, or hanging them, but I do suggest some crimes should lay the perpetrator open to a life review which would assess their wider impact on society and the world in general. A sort of entropy rating if you like; Entropy too High? Sentenced to Die. Some people, like it or not, have such a consistent and considerable negative impact on all they encounter that their absence would bring nothing but benefit.
This reads like the start of a dystopian sci-fi novel.
I'm no bleeding heart, and have been known to sympathize with 3-strikes-you're-out , but this is horrific.
Giz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2017, 09:57 AM   #35
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

A forced castration might be a good idea too, even if it is closing the barn door after most of the horses got out.

"Shemp, you are the one fixed point in an ever-changing universe." - Beady

"I don't want to live in a world without shemp." - Quarky
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2017, 10:06 AM   #36
baron
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Giz View Post
This reads like the start of a dystopian sci-fi novel.
I'm no bleeding heart, and have been known to sympathize with 3-strikes-you're-out , but this is horrific.
Not so much. Assessment of entropy is only a way of describing what we do now, in attaching seriousness and impact to the crime. My suggestion simply goes a bit further under certain limited circumstances, and involves the character as opposed to just the crime.

Last edited by baron; 18th May 2017 at 10:07 AM.
baron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2017, 10:06 AM   #37
Agatha
Winking at the Moon

Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
I don't think we can say that British justice is dead until justice has run its course. It is perfectly possible that there could be an appeal against the leniency of the sentences.

I thought that a murder charge had the option of conversion to manslaughter, so I am surprised that this wasn't the charge they were convicted of. Perhaps any lawyers here might help with the understanding of that.
IANAL nor do I play one on TV, but I think in this case that because each denied that they were responsible for the child's injury and death, the jury could not be certain which one had killed the child. So they could not convict either one of murder or manslaughter, but could convict of causing or allowing the death.

It seems to me that the sentencing guidelines for causing or allowing a death need to be overhauled - a maximum of 14 years seems far too lenient. But until that happens, these two people have been sentenced according to the guidelines.

Vodka kills salmonella and all other enemies of freedom for sure - Nationalcosmopolitan
Agatha is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2017, 10:09 AM   #38
Agatha
Winking at the Moon

Not so much. Assessment of entropy is only a way of describing what we do now, in attaching seriousness and impact to the crime. My suggestion simply goes a bit further under certain limited circumstances.
Does your suggestion take into account the benefits to society that these people produce in prison? Even Brady and Shipman worked on translating and producing books in Braille while they were imprisoned.

Old 18th May 2017, 10:13 AM   #39
baron
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Agatha View Post
Does your suggestion take into account the benefits to society that these people produce in prison? Even Brady and Shipman worked on translating and producing books in Braille while they were imprisoned.
I think mine is a suggestion with merit but even I don't claim it can predict the future. Not that doing so would produce anything of consequence as translating a few books wouldn't tip the scales significantly against the torture and murder of five children or the murder of 100 pensioners.

EDIT: But that was an aside, I don't want to derail my own thread.

Last edited by baron; 18th May 2017 at 10:15 AM.
Old 18th May 2017, 10:28 AM   #40
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
In the US prison system, he would be a dead man walking. Even the toughest criminals hate people who abuse or kill kids.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events