ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 5th June 2019, 09:55 AM   #1
Ron Swanson
Illuminator

Some Cultures Are Bette?

https://youtu.be/2JXrDwtiqQs
Ron Swanson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th June 2019, 10:01 AM   #2
mumblethrax
Species traitor

Other cultures are Barbra.
mumblethrax is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th June 2019, 10:08 AM   #3
Elagabalus
Illuminator

A Paul Joseph Watson vid needs a warning b4 you click.

Alternate thread title suggestion:

"Some Cultures Are Beta"
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th June 2019, 10:13 AM   #4
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

Bette Midler?
Old 5th June 2019, 10:15 AM   #5
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
Yeah, a mental health warning.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th June 2019, 11:04 AM   #6
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

I'm afraid I'm unable to digest the actual content of the video because I just can't keep my eyes off this guy's plump, red, effeminate lips, which is kind of awkward because I generally identify as straight.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th June 2019, 11:07 AM   #7
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

I'm at work so I can't watch the video (not that I'm apparently missing much.)

As to the question "Are some cultures better" at face value.... errr yes. Absolutely. Without question.

A "culture" is just a (usually more arbitrary then we like to admit) lumping together of ideas. Some ideas are better than others.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th June 2019, 11:21 AM   #8
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Of course some cultures are better. How is this even a question.

---

Some cultures have Bette Davis eyes.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th June 2019, 11:32 AM   #9
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Barbara, Judy, Liza, Bette
These are names I won't forget!
Old 5th June 2019, 11:46 AM   #10
Bouncing Bettys
Thinker

I am a 9th generation Canadian and descendant of United Empire Loyalists. My DNA results say I am 48% Irish/Scottish, 43% English/Welsh/NorthWestern Europe (Norman family line), 6% Swedish (a surprise to our family), and 3% Germanic. Culturally I identify as Canadian. Such and oddly personal topic to start a discussion about.

Last edited by Bouncing Bettys; 5th June 2019 at 11:51 AM.
Bouncing Bettys is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th June 2019, 11:48 AM   #11
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
Some Cultures Are Bette?
I would say most land somewhere in the Midler.
Old 5th June 2019, 12:04 PM   #12
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Is PJW on about Soy again?

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th June 2019, 12:57 PM   #13
bluesjnr
Professional Nemesis for Hire

Originally Posted by Bouncing Bettys View Post
48% Irish/Scottish,
What?

Quote:
43% English/Welsh/NorthWestern Europe (Norman family line)
{double take}... whaaaaat?....

bluesjnr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th June 2019, 01:28 PM   #14
Checkmite

Originally Posted by kookbreaker View Post
Is PJW on about Soy again?
No; this time it's about how some cultures are bitter, namely his.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th June 2019, 02:38 PM   #15
dann
Philosopher

Quote:
Paul Joseph Watson (PJW or Pyjama Watso) is an alt-lite English YouTube vlogger who publishes absurd and bigoted articles for Prison Planet, a sister site of Alex Jones' Infowars.
Paul Joseph Watson (Rational Wiki)

If I understand it correctly, the alt-right were an attempt by nazis to pretend that they weren't actually nazis, and now we have the alt-lite, who pretend that they aren't actually alt-right.
Do the alt-lite dress like the alt-right, i.e. khakis and polos, which the alt-rights used to distinguish themselves from nazis and the KKK, or are they into another kind of fashion in order to distinguish themselves from alt-rights?
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th June 2019, 03:57 PM   #16
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
Old 5th June 2019, 04:18 PM   #17
Venom
Illuminator

PJW always just shrugs, throws his hands up, oh I'm just a "realist".
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th June 2019, 04:29 PM   #18
Checkmite

Originally Posted by dann View Post
Do the alt-lite dress like the alt-right, i.e. khakis and polos, which the alt-rights used to distinguish themselves from nazis and the KKK, or are they into another kind of fashion in order to distinguish themselves from alt-rights?
Giving up the Hitler-youth haircut, perhaps. Although our man Watson looks a little like he's had it and just let it grow out some.
Old 5th June 2019, 05:02 PM   #19
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

I decided to click on the video.

I think he is mistaking culture for
Oh, who really cares? The cool thing was that the next video up on my particular youtube feed was from a group called "Rare Earth". I watched a few of them. I'll be watching a lot more of them. Very interesting historical perspectives.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th June 2019, 05:42 PM   #20
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

Bleu Cheese is pretty good, but I prefer Saccharomyces cerevisiae. And while my only personal experience has been limited to the stick up my nose, I despise MRSA.
casebro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th June 2019, 10:51 AM   #21
CORed
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Bouncing Bettys View Post
I am a 9th generation Canadian and descendant of United Empire Loyalists. My DNA results say I am 48% Irish/Scottish, 43% English/Welsh/NorthWestern Europe (Norman family line), 6% Swedish (a surprise to our family), and 3% Germanic. Culturally I identify as Canadian. Such and oddly personal topic to start a discussion about.
Any idea which great-great grandma had an affair with a Swede?
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th June 2019, 10:53 AM   #22
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
I decided to click on the video.

I think he is mistaking culture for
Oh, who really cares? The cool thing was that the next video up on my particular youtube feed was from a group called "Rare Earth". I watched a few of them. I'll be watching a lot more of them. Very interesting historical perspectives.
Rare Earth is a pretty cool channel.

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th November 2019, 10:26 AM   #23
Ron Swanson
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post

Alternate thread title suggestion:

"Some Cultures Are Beta"
My bad ... cannot argue with that!
Ron Swanson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th November 2019, 01:31 PM   #24
Drewbot
Philosopher

The wind beneath my wings for sure.
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th November 2019, 05:35 PM   #25
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Watched it. Looks like a **** take to be honest
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2019, 10:54 AM   #26
lomiller
Penultimate Amazing

Fundamentally, culture is a set of techniques for dealing with the world around us. It allows us to adapt to our surroundings and changes in them much more rapidly then natural selection would. It can do this well or it can do it poorly, but comparisons between cultures adapted to deal different circumstances is difficult at best.
Old 27th November 2019, 11:00 AM   #27
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

I'm shocked and saddened that so many went with Bette Midler jokes and nobody went for a Bette Davis joke.
Old 27th November 2019, 11:24 AM   #28
carlitos
"más divertido"

All the boys think she's a spy
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2019, 11:31 AM   #29
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
I'm shocked and saddened that so many went with Bette Midler jokes and nobody went for a Bette Davis joke.
Nobody had the eyes for it.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2019, 11:34 AM   #30
sackett
Philosopher

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
Ban this poster.

What region of the earth is not filled with our calamities? -- Virgil
sackett is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2019, 03:21 PM   #31
angrysoba
Philosophile

Ooh Bettie!

Watson channeling Spencer?

Frank Spencer, that is!
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2019, 08:37 AM   #32
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
How come Midler's first name is pronounced "Bet" and Davis's is "Betty"?
Old 28th November 2019, 09:24 AM   #33
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Language is weird.
Old 28th November 2019, 10:59 AM   #34
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Because Davis was a human woman with a human name. Midler is an eldritch abomination and the name is the first syllable of its demonic cognomen. To utter more of it would summon it, which is to be avoided by any who wish to retain their sanity and bones.
Old 28th November 2019, 11:13 AM   #35
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
I'm at work so I can't watch the video (not that I'm apparently missing much.)

As to the question "Are some cultures better" at face value.... errr yes. Absolutely. Without question.

A "culture" is just a (usually more arbitrary then we like to admit) lumping together of ideas. Some ideas are better than others.
But how do you know what ideas are better when we value different things?
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2019, 11:18 AM   #36
carlitos
"más divertido"

Maybe her hair isn’t Harlow gold.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2019, 02:19 PM   #37
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Consumed with curiosity I decided to research this burning question.

It wasn't that hard, fortunately. Two Wiki articles did the trick.

Although TM's explanation is much more satisfying, the real explanation is sadly mundane, but with a twist of sorts.

Ruth Elizabeth Davis went by the childhood nickname of "Betty", and at some point while growing up decided she liked the spelling of a Balzac character (from La Cousine Bette) better, so she went with that. 'Betty' still, but with French flair. The character is described as "an unmarried middle-aged woman who plots the destruction of her extended family", which is remarkably similar in tenor to some of the characters she went on to portray during her movie career.

Bette Midler was named after Bette Davis, and just went with the short, monosyllabic pronunciation. Not sure why. Probably less frivolous, but this may be where TM's research comes in.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events