ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 11th November 2019, 11:10 PM   #41
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
So far today, two "it is too late to leave" emergency warnings have been issued - in Nowendoc/Mount George, and just now in Emmaville/Stannum.

A dry southerly change is coming up the coast, which will cause the fires to abruptly change direction.
I actually heard a another different one on the radio, but can't remember the name.

Scary ****

"Try to find cover and hunker down" aren't exactly encouraging words easy on the ears
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2019, 11:16 PM   #42
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by lionking View Post
I've said this before. If the wind change had come five minutes later on Black Saturday in Melbourne, my entire family would have died.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Saturday_bushfires

Sometimes wind changes which turn the fire back towards already burnt land can be the very best result.
There's definitely a change coming. From a westerly to a southerly, hitting Sydney at about 7:00. Most of the fire is to the northwest of Sydney so cross fingers.

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
I actually heard a another different one on the radio, but can't remember the name.

Scary ****

"Try to find cover and hunker down" aren't exactly encouraging words easy on the ears
It's more like "find cover and try not to die". They're now up to 15 emergency warnings.

My mom told me she tries never to make fun of people for not knowing something.
- Randall Munroe
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2019, 11:24 PM   #43
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

There's definitely a change coming. From a westerly to a southerly, hitting Sydney at about 7:00. Most of the fire is to the northwest of Sydney so cross fingers.

It's more like "find cover and try not to die". They're now up to 15 emergency warnings.
Lol

At least you still have room for humour

I was wondering when I heard about it turn southerly and it shifting direction of the fire.

My knowledge of Sydney's geography is a atroscious (everyone I know and family in Melbourne)

Wasn't sure if the fires were north meaning southerlies pushed them towards Sydney or the other way round.

Cheers

I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

cullennz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2019, 06:24 PM   #44
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

There are separate moving air masses now in southern Queensland, which are generating thunderstorms. But the air is dry as a bone, so there will be no rain.

Just lightning.

- Randall Munroe
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2019, 06:28 PM   #45
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Rolfe View Post
I can't imagine how it must be to find yourself in a situation where it's quite likely all your possessions may be destroyed. It happens so rarely here that people seldom really think about it or make any plans for how they might cope and what they might need to try to save. I honestly don't know how you do it.
In the Australian bush, even the bush tries to kill you.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2019, 08:28 PM   #46
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

AAaannd the arson investigations have begun. Five people in NSW have been found to have breached the total fire ban, and a group of nine-year-olds in Nowra have been told off for igniting a grass fire with a blowtorch.

- Randall Munroe
Old 12th November 2019, 09:10 PM   #47
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

AAaannd the arson investigations have begun. Five people in NSW have been found to have breached the total fire ban, and a group of nine-year-olds in Nowra have been told off for igniting a grass fire with a blowtorch.
I'd suggest applying the blowtorch to their parents arses.

Old 12th November 2019, 09:14 PM   #48
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Looks like we are going home tomorrow. Have been camped out at a friend's place the past two days.

ETA: One of the fires in the Blue Mountains appears to have been caused by tourists flicking a cigarette butt off a scenic lookout (unconfirmed). This is not unusual. We regularly see visitors unfamiliar with our bush strolling around the walking tracks while smoking and flicking butts just like they do at home. To us, that's "throwing off sparks in a powder keg" scary. It may be time to implement a "NO SMOKING" policy throughout the region...
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015

Last edited by Norman Alexander; 12th November 2019 at 09:17 PM.
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2019, 10:13 PM   #49
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

A water-bombing helicopter has crashed while fighting the fires around Peachey, QLD. The pilot is reported as being treated for minor injuries.

- Randall Munroe
Old 20th November 2019, 12:32 AM   #50
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

It's still going.

Australia fires: all mainland states top 40C as bushfires flare in South Australia

Quote:
Extreme heat hits across the country as parts of Victoria prepare for worst possible bushfire conditions on Thursday

All of Australia’s mainland states, and the Northern Territory, had areas that reached more than 40C on Wednesday, as residents have been warned it is too late to leave as two serious bushfires hit areas of South Australia.

A code red bushfire warning – signifying the worst possible conditions – was also issued for parts of Victoria for Thursday.

By 3pm AEDT on Wednesday, the highest temperatures recorded were 43.4C at Smithville in New South Wales and 42C at Walpepup in Victoria. Ballera in Queensland reached 43.7C, Warburton in WA got 43.8C, Nullarbor in South Australia recorded 46.6C and Lajamanu in the Northern Territory had hit 42.7C.

The Bureau of Meteorology said there had been multiple times when all mainland states had recorded temperatures of at least 40C. The record for the earliest date for such a record was 12 October 2004.
It didn't hit 40C in the ACT, but as we all know the ACT is not a state. We only got up to 31.3C.

Fires are still burning in NSW and QLD, and now South Australia has joined the party. The heatwave that built up in the West over the weekend is moving over, and it is due to hit fire-ravaged regions tomorrow, bringing strong, hot, dry winds and the worst possible fire conditions.

It's going to be bad. But it's going to cool down again into the weekend, and there's even a slight chance of some rain on Monday.

ETA: And I've just been informed of a grass fire in Canberra's south. We've been spared until now.

- Randall Munroe
Old 26th November 2019, 09:28 PM   #51
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Bushfire-ravaged community embrace blooming wildflowers as symbol of hope

Quote:
As the smell of smoke still lingers amid the blackened earth in New South Wales' bushfire-ravaged communities, the emergence of new growth has sparked much needed joy for residents.

A Rural Fire Service crew recently spotted the bright splash of colour of a Christmas bell blooming near Lake Cathie, south of Port Macquarie.

A fire which burned for more than two weeks in the area destroyed more than 3,500 hectares and may be responsible for the deaths of hundreds of koalas.

The community has embraced the red and yellow bloom against the backdrop of scorched earth as a symbol of hope and new life.
Go read the article. The flowers are pretty.

- Randall Munroe
Old 28th November 2019, 11:41 PM   #52
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

This is the closest fire to me right now:

Two fire fronts threaten as Kings Highway closed

Quote:
Update – 4:40 pm, Friday 29 November: The Kings Highway has been closed between Mayfield Road and Northangera Rd. This is an area of about 10 kilometres either side of Braidwood.

The road will remain closed until 7:00 pm, with advice on further closures to come.

The fire front of the North Black Range, Palerang fire now covers 6782 hectares and has reached the eastern edge of the Tallaganda State Forest. It is moving east towards Bombay, Little Bombay and areas to the west of Braidwood.

Embers are being blown well ahead of the main fire front, threatening properties and creating spot fires well ahead of the main fire, with showering embers in Braidwood and Butmaroo.

There are also reports of embers falling in Majors Creek.

The fire is also burning in the areas of the Forbes Creek, Ralpine Valley and Mount Palerang.

The NSW Rural Fire Service is also concerned about a second fire, the Currowan Fire, covering 4793 hectares to the east of Braidwood, being controlled via Clyde Ridge Rd. This fire is at ‘advice’ level.
6782 hectares is 16758.69 acres, by the way.

I'm in no danger. Braidwood is some 80km away and the fire is not moving this way. It got suddenly way bigger today though. The Bureau of Meteorology is predicting a 40% chance of showers tomorrow, and a possible thunderstorm.

- Randall Munroe
Old 5th December 2019, 03:46 PM   #53
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Dozens of out-of-control bushfires burn across NSW as conditions expected to worsen

Quote:
Wind gusts of up to 80km/h in NSW and temperatures 12C above average in Queensland predicted to fan fires

Thousands of firefighters across New South Wales and Queensland have had another long night battling dozens of fires, with conditions on Friday expected to worsen.

NSW was told to expect wind gusts of 80km/h and high temperatures, and Queensland will likely see temperatures about 12C above average over the next two days, surpassing 40C in the Lockyer Valley and Ipswich.

On Thursday night NSW crews responded to five emergency level fires, including the Currowan fire on the south coast, where a number of buildings were believed to have been destroyed.

By Friday morning the blazes had all been downgraded, with six fires in the state at watch and act levels. Less than half of the 97 active fires were under control.

- Randall Munroe
Old Yesterday, 04:04 PM   #54
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

You're getting a break in the weather at the moment, but...

... It's expected to hit 38C here today, and typically you'll have similar weather in one to two days.
Old Today, 04:18 PM   #55
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

And it's not summer for another two weeks.
Old Today, 06:40 PM   #56
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
And it's not summer for another two weeks.
It is summer here. We start seasons on the 1st of the month.

Meanwhile, Canberra has been blanketed with a thick pall of smoke for days now. I haven't seen blue sky since last Thursday. Health warnings have been issued.

And I'm about to go out into it to get my lunch.

- Randall Munroe

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events