ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags clive james , obituaries , poets

Old 27th November 2019, 12:04 PM   #1
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Clive James: Goonnee

Apologies a bit over long

Pretty amazing dude really

Sad

Good innings though

https://www.theguardian.com/global/2...james-obituary

Quote:
Guardian:Clive James obituary

The writer and broadcaster Clive James, who has died aged 80, once wrote a poem about visiting his father’s grave at the Sai Wan war cemetery in Hong Kong. His father, Albert, who had survived a PoW camp and then forced labour in Japan, died when the plane bringing him home crashed in Taiwan, and James later described this as the “defining event” in his life. The poem, My Father Before Me, ends:

Back at the gate, I turn to face the hill,
Your headstone lost again among the rest.
I have no time to waste, much less to kill.
My life is yours; my curse, to be so blessed.

James, who was six when Albert died, spent much of his subsequent life as a poet, essayist and broadcaster producing articles and song lyrics, many poetry collections and volumes of critical essays, four novels and five books of memoirs, as well as hosting umpteen television shows. That fever of busyness was to compensate not only for his father’s death, but for how his mother’s life fell apart on being widowed. “I am trying to lead the life they might have had,” he said in 2009. “It’s a chance to pay them back for my life. I don’t like luck; I’ve had a lot of it.”
Edited by Agatha:  Trimmed for rule 4; please visit the link given to read the entire obituary.
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000

Last edited by Agatha; 27th November 2019 at 02:30 PM.
cullennz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2019, 01:55 PM   #2
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

He got leukaemia and failed kidneys 10 years ago, so to survive to 80 is amazing. To be honest I thought he was already dead.

A great man.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2019, 02:09 PM   #3
Elaedith
Muse

That is sad. I always liked his writing.
Elaedith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2019, 02:19 PM   #4
Agatha
Winking at the Moon

Sad news.
Old 27th November 2019, 02:20 PM   #5
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Elaedith View Post
That is sad. I always liked his writing.
His poetry was crap.
Old 27th November 2019, 02:22 PM   #6
Guybrush Threepwood
Trainee Pirate

Very sad, he's wanged his donger in the kedgeree for the last time.
Guybrush Threepwood is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2019, 02:23 PM   #7
Guybrush Threepwood
Trainee Pirate

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
His poetry was crap.
How would you know? You think all poetry is crap.

You do have a point, it wasn't his greatest skill.
Guybrush Threepwood is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2019, 02:24 PM   #8
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Guybrush Threepwood View Post
How would you know? You think all poetry is crap.

You do have a point, it wasn't his greatest skill.
That is how I know his poetry was crap!
Old 27th November 2019, 02:25 PM   #9
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

His poetry was crap.
Personally have never trusted poets who can't write rhymey style.

It is like they are only making half the effort
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

cullennz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2019, 02:44 PM   #10
bluesjnr
Professional Nemesis for Hire

His poetry was crap.
He was always very complimentary about you.
bluesjnr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2019, 02:49 PM   #11
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Farewell, the Kogarah Kid!
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2019, 03:30 PM   #12
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Too bad he had to be a vocal and influential global warming denier.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2019, 03:54 PM   #13
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
Too bad he had to be a vocal and influential global warming denier.
The "Yin" to Greta's "Yang"

Old 27th November 2019, 07:38 PM   #14
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

"its....... Jerry Hall !!!!"
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2019, 09:01 PM   #15
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
"its....... Jerry Hall !!!!"
I saw that. He was very entertaining and intelligent, great sense of humour. It was very disappointing when he started blabbing on about climate like he actually knew more about it than a scientist.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2019, 09:41 PM   #16
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

I saw that. He was very entertaining and intelligent, great sense of humour. It was very disappointing when he started blabbing on about climate like he actually knew more about it than a scientist.
That seemed to be late in his existence, when a bunch of us tend to get crusty and staid in our opinions.

Also, it appears clear Clive was harking back through rose-coloured glasses to the sparkly bright blue days of his yoof on the Sydney beaches. Those days are now fairly rare; the beaches of his memories are fast disappearing. He was wrong; his targets of climate skepticism were right. So it was more like he could not accept the impermanence of his memories.

Also, get off my lawn, mate.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2019, 11:32 PM   #17
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

"Its... Jerry Hall" is the first thing that comes to mind whenever I think of Clive James, or whenever his name gets mentioned.. For some reason, that particular episode stuck with me. I don't remember much about it, but I do remember my ribs began to ache while I was watching!
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2019, 11:35 PM   #18
Robin
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Guybrush Threepwood View Post
Very sad, he's wanged his donger in the kedgeree for the last time.
After the man is gone, the Private Eye taunts live on.
The non-theoretical character of metaphysics would not be in itself a defect; all arts have this non-theoretical character without thereby losing their high value for personal as well as for social life. The danger lies in the deceptive character of metaphysics; it gives the illusion of knowledge without actually giving any knowledge. This is the reason why we reject it. - Rudolf Carnap "Philosophy and Logical Syntax"
Robin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2019, 01:21 AM   #19
bluesjnr

Magarita Pracatan!
bluesjnr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2019, 02:15 AM   #20
Worm
Illuminator

I haven't read a lot of his stuff, but his first volume of memoirs - 'Unreliable Memoirs' - is one of my favourite books, and I can thoroughly recommend it.

Not all cults are bad - I've joined a cult of niceness
Worm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2019, 05:54 AM   #21
bluesjnr

Originally Posted by Worm View Post
I haven't read a lot of his stuff, but his first volume of memoirs - 'Unreliable Memoirs' - is one of my favourite books, and I can thoroughly recommend it.
I'd quite forgotten that I'd read that years ago and found it a very enjoyable read.
Old 29th November 2019, 01:49 AM   #22
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

I've heard a lot of names and descriptions for Arnold Schwarzenegger; "the Austrian Oak", "Arnie", "Schwarzy" and "The Governator", but Clive James' description of him tops the lot...

"a brown condom full of walnuts"
Old 29th November 2019, 02:47 AM   #23
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Have complete understanding for the trim mods.

And good pick for the paragraph

Old 29th November 2019, 02:54 AM   #24
angrysoba
Philosophile

I wonder what Arnie's nickname for Clive James was.
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2019, 03:07 AM   #25
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
Balded Aussie idiot climate change denier, I would imagine

Mind you he probably hasn't got much longer given the 'roids.

Old 29th November 2019, 06:37 AM   #26
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Who?
Old 29th November 2019, 07:17 AM   #27
angrysoba
Philosophile

Who?
I expect so.

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post

Mind you he probably hasn't got much longer given the 'roids.
Nah, he looks well enough to me.
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2019, 03:16 PM   #28
Robin
Penultimate Amazing

At least his climate stance ensured he got a big write up in the Murdoch press, they called him a 'giant'.

If he had said climate change was real they would have limited it to a sentence buried on page 8 "Former television critic Olive James dies at 80"
The non-theoretical character of metaphysics would not be in itself a defect; all arts have this non-theoretical character without thereby losing their high value for personal as well as for social life. The danger lies in the deceptive character of metaphysics; it gives the illusion of knowledge without actually giving any knowledge. This is the reason why we reject it. - Rudolf Carnap "Philosophy and Logical Syntax"
Robin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2019, 04:00 PM   #29
IsThisTheLife
Critical Thinker

I never stopped to wonder why I hadn't heard from or about him for so many years, didn't know he was so ill, for so long. Poor bastard.

Back in the early 1970's my dad often used to drive up to the West End in the small hours of Sunday to get the Sunday Times and Observer, and I vividly remember the laughs I got from James's TV reviews, this from c. age twelve on [ETA which isn't trying to paint myself as precocious, just that the man had a relaxed Aussie wit, and a way of putting it in written words that anyone (of any age) can enjoy].

Many years later I read many of the same columns again, compiled in The Crystal Bucket, they were still FAF.

Last edited by IsThisTheLife; 29th November 2019 at 04:11 PM.
IsThisTheLife is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2019, 04:03 PM   #30
IsThisTheLife
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by bluesjnr View Post
Magarita Pracatan!
Reflexive LoL.
Old 29th November 2019, 04:14 PM   #31
IsThisTheLife
Critical Thinker

I've heard a lot of names and descriptions for Arnold Schwarzenegger; "the Austrian Oak", "Arnie", "Schwarzy" and "The Governator", but Clive James' description of him tops the lot...

... who "talks like he's got a mouthful of marbles"

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events