ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Kentucky incidents , mass shootings , school shootings , shooting incidents

Old 18th November 2019, 11:04 PM   #1641
Thermal
Philosopher

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
In my hood we limit access to guns to only those people who have a demonstrated need for them, as far as that is possible. Some still slip through, but we in Australia have nowhere near the amount of gun crime that America has.
I'm not talking about the means, just the indifference to life at the core of these acts. I would think that kind of thinking would manifest in other ways, if such psychos were proportionally represented. Pipe bombs at soccer games and what have you.
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2019, 11:10 PM   #1642
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
I'm not talking about the means, just the indifference to life at the core of these acts. I would think that kind of thinking would manifest in other ways, if such psychos were proportionally represented. Pipe bombs at soccer games and what have you.
And yet somehow it doesn't.

My mom told me she tries never to make fun of people for not knowing something.
- Randall Munroe
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2019, 11:21 PM   #1643
Thermal
Philosopher

And yet somehow it doesn't.
...which brings it full circle. Unless you are saying psychopaths are inherently...what, lazy?...and will only carry out their killings if it is minimal effort?
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2019, 11:42 PM   #1644
angrysoba
Philosophile

...which brings it full circle. Unless you are saying psychopaths are inherently...what, lazy?...and will only carry out their killings if it is minimal effort?
Maybe it is to do with opportunism. Leave your wallet lying around and it might get stolen. If you keep your wallet in your pocket it doesn’t mean the would-be culprit would resort to robbing banks.
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2019, 11:47 PM   #1645
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Not so much. Access to guns makes fulfilling extreme urges easier. It's why more suicides are completed by gun than by any other method. You have an impulse, you act on it. If you have to spend the time preparing, you have an opportunity to reconsider. Someone annoys you and you have a gun, you can shoot them. If you have to spend the time to construct a pipe bomb, you have an opportunity to reconsider.

ETA: Of course that doesn't address the elaborately planned shootings, but those constitute a minority even in America.

- Randall Munroe
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2019, 11:48 PM   #1646
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
Maybe it is to do with opportunism. Leave your wallet lying around and it might get stolen. If you keep your wallet in your pocket it doesn’t mean the would-be culprit would resort to robbing banks.
And this, yes.

- Randall Munroe
Old 19th November 2019, 12:39 PM   #1647
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

<snip>]

As I was looking for a news article to link, I saw related stories: 10 shot at football game in Alabama, the Cali shootings two days prior...

I mean wtf? How many psychopaths do we have running around in the States?

Assuming the generally accepted percentage of the population is accurate, that would be somewhere north of three and a quarter million.

Multiply by five if you want to add in sociopaths.

None of that explains why gun deaths are so much more common here, since that percentage is pretty much a constant for other countries as well.

One might almost think there was some other contributing factor.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2019, 01:22 PM   #1648
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post

Video games. Just ask any right-winger, it's always video games. Nothing at all to do with guns, except that there aren't enough of them.
Old 19th November 2019, 01:46 PM   #1649
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Video games. Just ask any right-winger, it's always video games. Nothing at all to do with guns, except that there aren't enough of them.

All those other countries sure are lucky they don't have any video games.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2019, 08:12 PM   #1650
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Assuming the generally accepted percentage of the population is accurate, that would be somewhere north of three and a quarter million.

Sociopathy is generally considered to be the same thing as psychopathy, but it depends on who you ask. Some people use the word sociopathy instead of psychopathy, because there can be confusion between psychopathy and psychosis.

- Randall Munroe
Old 20th November 2019, 02:06 AM   #1651
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Sociopathy is generally considered to be the same thing as psychopathy, but it depends on who you ask. Some people use the word sociopathy instead of psychopathy, because there can be confusion between psychopathy and psychosis.
Yeah, until well into adulthood, I didn't really understand the distinction.

Then there's the word "psycho", like the title of that Hitchcock movie Psycho. Does it mean psychopath or psychotic or what? I guess the character in the movie, I'm not sure exactly how one would describe him, but psychopath is probably not the correct diagnosis. He was clearly delusional and perhaps suffered hallucinations, but I'm not sure the movie character is an accurate depiction of any particular kind of mental affliction.
Old 20th November 2019, 06:50 AM   #1652
Thermal
Philosopher

One of my wife's colleagues, a practicing psychiatrist in NJ USA, says that he generally uses sociopath for the functional/assimilating type, and psychopath for the non-functional/GTFOOH variety.
Old 20th November 2019, 06:57 AM   #1653
Armitage72
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post

Except when it was heavy metal music. Or roleplaying games. Or comic books. Or movies. Or pool halls. (Trouble with a capital T and that rhymes with P and that stands for pool)
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2019, 06:59 AM   #1654
Thermal
Philosopher

Not the number I was looking for. 'Twelve or so' helps me sleep better.

Quote:
They don't bother me so much. I believe I am surrounded by them, and your number is low.

Quote:
None of that explains why gun deaths are so much more common here, since that percentage is pretty much a constant for other countries as well.

Use of guns is, I believe, self explanatory. It's the most efficient and available tool. Convenience and all. What struck me was the utter disregard for lives (and for possibility of getting away with it) that a revenge execution at a football game reflects.
Old 20th November 2019, 09:22 PM   #1655
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

That's why I offered the choice to include them.

Old 20th November 2019, 09:35 PM   #1656
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
Yeah, until well into adulthood, I didn't really understand the distinction.

Then there's the word "psycho", like the title of that Hitchcock movie Psycho. Does it mean psychopath or psychotic or what? I guess the character in the movie, I'm not sure exactly how one would describe him, but psychopath is probably not the correct diagnosis. He was clearly delusional and perhaps suffered hallucinations, but I'm not sure the movie character is an accurate depiction of any particular kind of mental affliction.
I've never seen the movie, but as I understand it the psycho in question believes that he's talking to his mother, which is a hallucination and therefore psychosis is more or less accurate. But I'm hardly going to remote diagnose a movie character when I haven't seen the movie and am not even a mental health professional.

- Randall Munroe
Old 20th November 2019, 09:47 PM   #1657
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

I've never seen the movie, but as I understand it the psycho in question believes that he's talking to his mother, which is a hallucination and therefore psychosis is more or less accurate. But I'm hardly going to remote diagnose a movie character when I haven't seen the movie and am not even a mental health professional.
I won't spoil it for you but Norman Bates' mother is not a hallucination. You are somewhat close but still wrong.

ETA: From my armchair I would diagnose him as a psychopath with psychosis.

Last edited by William Parcher; 20th November 2019 at 09:52 PM.
William Parcher is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2019, 09:47 PM   #1658
Steve
Philosopher

Mother is not a hallucination. I will say no more.

William Parcher has faster fingers

Last edited by Steve; 20th November 2019 at 09:49 PM.
Steve is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2019, 09:50 PM   #1659
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
I won't spoil it for you but Norman Bate's mother is not a hallucination. You are somewhat close but still wrong.
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Mother is not a hallucination. I will say no more.
Okay, no problem. I don't mind being wrong about a movie I haven't seen, but I am about as likely to watch it as I am to grow wings and fly to Saturn, so I don't mind being spoiled. Is it a dissociative identity?

- Randall Munroe
Old 20th November 2019, 09:55 PM   #1660
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Bates is a psychotic psychopath. If you want to stay alive you do not want to stay at the Bates Motel.
Old 20th November 2019, 10:09 PM   #1661
Steve
Philosopher

Mother is
dead, but not buried. She inhabits a rocking chair and carries on conversations with Norman
Old 20th November 2019, 10:26 PM   #1662
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Mother is
dead, but not buried. She inhabits a rocking chair and carries on conversations with Norman
But does she really carry on conversations, or does he just think she does?

Because if it's the latter, that could still qualify as psychosis.

- Randall Munroe
Old 20th November 2019, 10:31 PM   #1663
Steve
Philosopher

But does she really carry on conversations, or does he just think she does?

Because if it's the latter, that could still qualify as psychosis.
The latter. And I agree.
Old 20th November 2019, 10:35 PM   #1664
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

The latter. And I agree.
The former would be

necromancy

- Randall Munroe
Old 20th November 2019, 11:40 PM   #1665
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

The former would be

necromancy
or, alternatively,

Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2019, 03:00 AM   #1666
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Are people really using spoiler tags for a movie first released almost 60 years ago and is one of the most famous movies ever made, has been parodied probably more than any other movie in history and subject to more discussion than a narcissist thinks about themselves?
Old 21st November 2019, 04:09 AM   #1667
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Are people really using spoiler tags for a movie first released almost 60 years ago and is one of the most famous movies ever made, has been parodied probably more than any other movie in history and subject to more discussion than a narcissist thinks about themselves?
Yes

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2019, 08:20 AM   #1668
Steve
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
Yes
Just making sure.
Old 21st November 2019, 02:56 PM   #1669
Ranb
Philosopher

Are people really using spoiler tags ….
Thank you for the best laugh I've had all day.
Ranb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2019, 07:02 PM   #1670
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Well I didn't know the particular detail that was spoilered, so it's conceivable that someone who actually intends to watch it some day might appreciate the spoiler tags.

- Randall Munroe
Old 1st December 2019, 06:27 AM   #1671
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

French Quarter Shoot-Up

11 people shot on Canal Street in New Orleans, Louisiana, NOPD says; 2 in critical condition

Originally Posted by NOLA News
Eleven people were shot on Canal Street in New Orleans early Sunday morning, according to New Orleans police. Two are in critical condition, NOPD Supt. Shaun Ferguson said. Earlier, police said there were 10 victims but increased the count by one.

Five victims were taken to University Medical Center and five were taken to Tulane Hospital. One person arrived at an area hospital via a private vehicle.

A person of interest has been detained. Ferguson emphasized it's unclear what involvement -- if any -- the person of interest had in the shooting. As of 6:30 a.m., no arrests have been made.

The gunfire broke out in the 700 block of Canal Street just before 3:30 a.m.

Ferguson said officers were on the scene immediately as patrols were beefed up for the Bayou Classic in town this weekend. He added that officers at first thought they themselves were being fired upon since the shots rang out so close to them.

No police officers were injured, Ferguson said. At least 25 evidence markers were seen on the ground in front of the McDonald’s on Canal Street, between Royal and Bourbon streets...
https://www.nola.com/news/crime_poli...1a9c223b0.html
Old 1st December 2019, 06:50 PM   #1672
mgidm86
Philosopher

Louisiana has one of the highest shooting rates in the nation year after year, but today, for some reason, we suddenly care.

https://www.thetrace.org/2015/07/lou...movie-theater/

Quote:
Louisiana experienced both the most overall gun deaths per capita and the most gun homicides per capita of any state between 2004 and 2013, according to data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Louisianans were killed by guns at a rate of 18.8 per 100,000 people, a figure nearly twice that of the national average.

More than half of Louisiana’s 8,552 gun deaths over that period were homicides. Its gun homicide rate is more than 2.5 times the national average and approximately 25 percent higher than that of the state with the second-highest rate, Mississippi.

A disproportionate amount of Louisiana’s gun violence occurs in New Orleans, which as recently as 2011 recorded the highest murder rate of any major U.S. city. At least 155 homicides were reported in New Orleans in 2013, representing over 30 percent of the state total, despite the fact that the city accounts for less than 10 percent of the population.

Sorry folks, but if you weren't killed with at least half a dozen other people you just aren't significant. It's not the right type of shooting.
Old 1st December 2019, 08:11 PM   #1673
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
Louisiana has one of the highest shooting rates in the nation year after year, but today, for some reason, we suddenly care.

https://www.thetrace.org/2015/07/lou...movie-theater/

Sorry folks, but if you weren't killed with at least half a dozen other people you just aren't significant. It's not the right type of shooting.
Hey, big numbers count more than little numbers. So eleven shooting victims is more newsworthy than one shooting victim.

Reality is, another eleven shooting victims in the USA, including probably some dead, will have happened before that report goes off the front page of the news websites. You can track them here: https://www.gunviolencearchive.org/

ETA: 11 deaths, 12 woundings since the New Orleans shooting.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015

Last edited by Norman Alexander; 1st December 2019 at 08:13 PM.
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd December 2019, 03:50 AM   #1674
Hubert Cumberdale
Graduate Poster

Not so much. Access to guns makes fulfilling extreme urges easier. It's why more suicides are completed by gun than by any other method. You have an impulse, you act on it. If you have to spend the time preparing, you have an opportunity to reconsider. Someone annoys you and you have a gun, you can shoot them. If you have to spend the time to construct a pipe bomb, you have an opportunity to reconsider.

ETA: Of course that doesn't address the elaborately planned shootings, but those constitute a minority even in America.
As Jim Jefferies says, everyone having a gun was fine when it was only muskets. The best thing about muskets is they give you a lot of time to calm down....
Hubert Cumberdale is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2019, 08:37 AM   #1675
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

I have read 3 dead and 11 injured...

Deadly shooting at Pensacola, Florida naval base

Originally Posted by CNN
There was an active shooter incident at Naval Air Station Pensacola in Pensacola, Florida this morning. The base remains on lockdown. The shooter is confirmed deceased, and two additional fatalities are confirmed. Multiple injured personnel have been transported to local hospitals. We will continue to work closely with law enforcement agencies...
https://www.cnn.com/us/live-news/pen...ter/index.html
Old 6th December 2019, 10:17 AM   #1676
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Some articles saying that the shooter killed three and he was killed by police. Some are injured including deputies.
Old 6th December 2019, 11:23 AM   #1677
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

From CNN just now:

Quote:
A member of the Saudi military training at US Naval Air Station in Pensacola is the suspected shooter in today's incident, according to five US defense officials and another person familiar with the investigation.

The investigators are looking into whether it was terror-related, but it is early in the probe.

CNN has reached out to the Saudi embassy in the US and has not heard back.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2019, 11:26 AM   #1678
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

And I just watched my entire social media feed, in real time, do a 180 in tone.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2019, 04:20 PM   #1679
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

With friends like the Saudis, we sure as hell don't need enemies.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2019, 04:22 PM   #1680
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
And I just watched my entire social media feed, in real time, do a 180 in tone.
Yeah, it will be interesting to see some of the Saudi's big supporters in Washington react to this....

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events