ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 17th September 2018, 07:27 PM   #641
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
From what I can glean, all Elon Musk said was that Unsworth 'had a child bride'.

That's a loaded statement.

Is his wife fourteen or something? If so the legal defence Musk has in the UK, is that it is, 'fair comment'.
Read the Guardian article if you actually want to learn about what you are commenting on. In fact libel suits exist exactly because untrue statements can damage people’s reputation in the eyes of readers who are ignorant of the facts.
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2018, 12:32 AM   #642
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

From what I can glean, all Elon Musk said was that Unsworth 'had a child bride'.

That's a loaded statement.

Is his wife fourteen or something? If so the legal defence Musk has in the UK, is that it is, 'fair comment'.
If no one else is going to actually say it

No

He called him a "peado", "child rapist", sex trafficking liar, who married a 12 year old .
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2018, 12:59 AM   #643
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post

No

He called him a "peado", "child rapist", sex trafficking liar, who married a 12 year old .
And it is in every article about him suing Musk today, there is no way anyone can't know this if they have read any news report about Musk being sued for defamation.
Old 18th September 2018, 01:43 AM   #644
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
And it is in every article about him suing Musk today, there is no way anyone can't know this if they have read any news report about Musk being sued for defamation.
Indeed
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2018, 06:39 AM   #645
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

I don't know about the rest of you, but if I were on a jury deciding damages in such a case where a fish faced billionaire used his bully pulpit to libel an ordinary person doing good deeds, I'd award a lot more than $75k. I'd get really punitive, along the lines of 50% of everything he's got. Just because people have lots of money is no reason they can behave like insane sociopathic toddlers.
Old 18th September 2018, 07:00 AM   #646
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
I don't know about the rest of you, but if I were on a jury deciding damages in such a case where a fish faced billionaire used his bully pulpit to libel an ordinary person doing good deeds, I'd award a lot more than $75k. I'd get really punitive, along the lines of 50% of everything he's got. Just because people have lots of money is no reason they can behave like insane sociopathic toddlers.
Probably. I expect Musk does not want this court case to drag out and will try to settle out of court.

I only wonder what will happen next on Twitter as he will probably be goaded into remarking on the case again.
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2018, 07:09 AM   #647
Arcade22
Philosopher

Unless Musk is sitting on a pile of secret proof of his allegations, that he would've inexplicably not share with anyone even though it would vindicate him, he's demonstrating the attitude of an ignorant bigot.

He's British guy living in Thailand. Why would he do that? Yeah that's right: he's a pedo. Only pedophiles would want to travel to Thailand let alone live there. They could never have been fascinated and interested in the country because of the food, environment or anything like that.

Even here in Sweden, in a medium sized city that's far from the Stockholm, there's quite a few people from Thailand and ordering Thai takeout is easy (it's almost certainly Thai people that cook). Is not hard to become interested about he country.

Last edited by Arcade22; 18th September 2018 at 07:10 AM.
Arcade22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2018, 07:12 AM   #648
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

The fact that Unsworth has been living with an adult Thai woman (now 40) for 7 years doesn't prove he isn't a 'pedo', of course, but it may be grist to the mill in this case.

The Sun article

On other news, Musk is back to pushing BFR trips around the moon and the need for a self-sufficient Mars colony.
Old 18th September 2018, 10:47 AM   #649
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by GlennB View Post
The fact that Unsworth has been living with an adult Thai woman (now 40) for 7 years doesn't prove he isn't a 'pedo', of course, but it may be grist to the mill in this case.

The Sun article

On other news, Musk is back to pushing BFR trips around the moon and the need for a self-sufficient Mars colony.
At the moment there is no reason to think it's anything other than sour grapes by someone who got told where to take his stupid idea by someone working under pressure and without the traditional Thai reluctance to cause someone to lose face (which Musk seemed to have assumed meant agreement)
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2018, 11:44 AM   #650
Elagabalus
Illuminator

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
I have to say when I first read what Musk tweeted I thought "whoa, dude, that's totally uncalled for"! Keep it nice. Go for something a little more generic and gender neutral, like dickhead.
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2019, 02:37 AM   #651
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Deputy Admin

The case against Musk is going to court.

Quote:
A federal court judge in Los Angeles set a 22 October trial date on Friday in a filing that rejected the Tesla chief’s attempt to dismiss a defamation lawsuit filed by the British diver Vernon Unsworth.

Musk called Unsworth a “pedo” in a 15 July post on his Twitter account after the diver, in an interview with CNN, dismissed the tech multibillionaire’s attempts to help rescue the football players as a “PR stunt”. Unsworth also derided the submarine that Musk had built for a rescue mission. The comments prompted Musk to lash out at Unsworth via his Twitter account, which at the time had 22.5 million followers.

Musk contended his insult was protected from legal action, but the judge overseeing the case disagreed.
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2019, 07:07 AM   #652
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post

No

Sorry, if his wife has reached puberty, then it is not 'paedophilia' (sexual attraction towards children) although it might well be against the law.

It gets on my nerves when the press keep calling a certain footballer a 'paedo' after having being jailed for having sex with a fifteen-year-old. Presumably, physiologically she is an adult, not a child.
Or will you stop once and wonder
What you're doing it for. ~ Nick Drake
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2019, 09:50 PM   #653
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Sorry, if his wife has reached puberty, then it is not 'paedophilia' (sexual attraction towards children) although it might well be against the law.

It gets on my nerves when the press keep calling a certain footballer a 'paedo' after having being jailed for having sex with a fifteen-year-old. Presumably, physiologically she is an adult, not a child.

Musk called him a pedo. The press didn't.
And the accusation is that he married a twelve year old who he'd been ogling in the village for a while, so arguably "paedophilia".

The accusation is nonsense. His long-term girlfriend is considerably younger than he is, but when they met, I think she was 30. They've been together for years.

Other than that, excellent post. Always share your brainfarts with us; they're entertaining.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2019, 09:52 PM   #654
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by zooterkin View Post
The penalty is too small. I wanted him sued in Thai courts where he could go to jail for his big mouth AND lose money. Unfortunately, Musk would just never show up here, though, so it'd never be acted upon.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th May 2019, 05:25 PM   #655
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

I would have expected him to settle out of court by throwing an obscene amount of money at it.

My mom told me she tries never to make fun of people for not knowing something.
- Randall Munroe
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th May 2019, 05:49 AM   #656
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

This was in the news a couple of weeks ago. I meant to post it.

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-48103781

Jon Chu directing is pretty good news.

There's a local production that did not get the blessing of the boys or their representatives. It supposedly finished lensing in December but if it's in post-production, they've made no announcement about finding a distributor or studio to take ownership. A lot of grousing about the film in local media. It's put together by a contingent of farang who were involved in one previous film, has all westerner production and a whole lot of anonymous characters because they couldn't use the actual names.

Old 13th May 2019, 06:37 AM   #657
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by zooterkin View Post
Excellent news.

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
I would have expected him to settle out of court by throwing an obscene amount of money at it.
That ego? Not a chance.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2019, 06:20 PM   #658
Arcade22
Philosopher

Quote:
Musk’s lawyers have argued these statements were simply insults, not accusations. They reiterated that on Monday, saying “pedo guy” was a common insult used when Musk was a child in South Africa and is not meant to “accuse a person of acts of pedophilia”.

“There is no evidence that Mr Musk intended or believed that his July 15 tweets, that Mr Unsworth was ‘sus’ or ‘pedo guy’, would be interpreted as fact,” the filing said. “To the contrary, the evidence is that Mr Musk believed and intended his statements to be read as what they were: bare insults.”

This defense comes despite follow-up tweets from Musk, which said “bet you a signed dollar it’s true”, implying he indeed believed Unsworth was a pedophile. Lawyers for Musk said said in Monday’s court filing that while his initial tweets were intended as a joke, he continued to call Unsworth a “pedo guy” in subsequent tweets because of “disturbing information” allegedly uncovered in a private investigation funded by Musk himself.

“The investigator reported that Mr Unsworth was a fixture in Pattaya Beach, Thailand – a locale notorious for prostitution and child trafficking, that he had a taste for young Thai girls, that he whoremongered his way through the go-go bars of Thailand, that his only friends were his ‘sexpat’ peers, and that he married his Thai wife when she was a teenager, after starting a relationship when she was a young girl,” the response from Musk’s lawyers reads.
https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...uy-tweet-diver

So Musk repeatedly not-accused the diver of being a pedophile, only to hire a "private investigator" to investigate if he really was a pedophile, which he supposedly was found to be; meaning that his non-accusations were actually justified even-though he did not originally imply that he was a pedophile.
Old 16th September 2019, 06:43 PM   #659
I Am The Scum
Illuminator

If Elon Musk was half as smart as his fans think he is, he would have hired a tweet-screener a long time ago. He'd have saved so much money.
I Am The Scum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2019, 07:40 PM   #660
mumblethrax
Species traitor

P. T. Barnum without the honesty.
mumblethrax is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th September 2019, 12:06 AM   #661
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

Originally Posted by Arcade22 View Post
https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...uy-tweet-diver

So Musk repeatedly not-accused the diver of being a pedophile, only to hire a "private investigator" to investigate if he really was a pedophile, which he supposedly was found to be; meaning that his non-accusations were actually justified even-though he did not originally imply that he was a pedophile.
It's a pathetic defence, made even more pathetic by his follow-up tweet at the time: "I bet you a signed dollar it's true". What an arse he is.

Which reminds me - it's quite a while since he announced that Mars project. Any news on the development of all the novel equipment needed for that?
Old 17th September 2019, 12:57 AM   #662
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Article in Buzzfeed:

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article...e-investigator

Quote:
Elon Musk paid a private investigator more than $50,000 to search for compromising information on a British cave explorer that he called “a pedo guy” on Twitter last year after the man criticized the Tesla and SpaceX CEO’s involvement in the highly publicized rescue of a boys soccer team from a network of Thailand caves.

On Monday, a federal court in California posted a slew of documents in the ongoing defamation lawsuit between the British caver, Vernon Unsworth, and Musk, revealing that the billionaire hoped to obtain compromising information that suggested Unsworth was a pedophile. In a court filing, Musk asked a judge to throw out the case by arguing that his July 2018 tweet calling Unsworth a “pedo guy” was not meant to be taken factually.

“I did not intend to convey any facts or imply that Mr. Unsworth had engaged in acts of pedophilia,” Musk said in a court filing. “Pedo guy was a common insult used in South Africa when I was growing up. It is synonymous with ‘creepy old man’ and is used to insult a person’s appearance and demeanor, not accuse a person of pedophilia.”
If the insult wasn't meant to be taken factually, why did he hire a private investigator to see if it might be true?

Quote:
Earlier that August, lawyers representing Unsworth had sent a letter to Musk’s residence asking for Musk to correct the public record regarding his “pedo guy” tweets. The day after Birchall sent the email to Howard, Musk asked on Twitter if “it’s strange” that Unsworth hadn’t sued him yet.

That same day, Unsworth’s attorney, L. Lin Wood, announced he was preparing a civil complaint for libel against Musk. BuzzFeed News would later email Musk questions about the legal threat, prompting the billionaire to claim in emails to this reporter that Unsworth was a “child rapist” who had taken a “child bride who was about 12 years old at the time.”

Howard sent a dossier on Unsworth dated Aug. 30, 2018 to Birchall with largely unverified claims about his activities in Thailand. That dossier, as well as prior conversations between Birchall and the private investigator, became the basis for Musk’s learnings about Unsworth.

“Mr Unsworth is 63 years old,” Howard and his team wrote in the report. “His wife we believe is 30, (we will confirm this in the next 48hrs) which would have put her at 18/19 when they first met. The target would have been 52 yrs old at the time.”
So, 18/19 is still legal, is it not? Yeah, a "teenager" but also a legal adult. (Actually, 18 is the legal age of consent in Thailand, not the age of adulthood, which is 20. Still, legal as far as I can tell.)

In point of fact though, even that information seems to be wrong.
Quote:
BuzzFeed News investigated Musk’s claims at the time and interviewed Unsworth’s longtime girlfriend, who said she was 40, but found no evidence supporting his allegations.
(Follow the link to see Musk's email tirade.)
Old 17th September 2019, 08:36 AM   #663
Arcade22
Philosopher

Quote:
“I did not intend to convey any facts or imply that Mr. Unsworth had engaged in acts of pedophilia,” Musk said in a court filing. “Pedo guy was a common insult used in South Africa when I was growing up. It is synonymous with ‘creepy old man’ and is used to insult a person’s appearance and demeanor, not accuse a person of pedophilia.”
Even if we give him the benefit of the doubt, he should've been aware of how it would be interpreted by others. It's on the same level as calling someone a "child molester" or a "rapist". Those are not generic insults that could be applied to just anyone.

Musk's following comments only make it obvious that he was in fact suggesting Unsworth was a pedophile, which is especially jarring considering it was made publicly without any justification or proof at all. Everything else seems to be post-hoc rationalizations, which is bizarre if he didn't even intend to accuse him of being a pedophile.
Old 4th October 2019, 05:01 AM   #664
SuburbanTurkey
Master Poster

Elon Musks hires self-proclaimed private investigator who claims he will find conclusive evidence that our diving hero is in fact a pedo. Turns out this PI is a convicted fraudster. He was paid $50,000

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article...-dirt-pedo-guy
Old 4th October 2019, 05:12 AM   #665
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Deputy Admin

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
Elon Musks hires self-proclaimed private investigator who claims he will find conclusive evidence that our diving hero is in fact a pedo. Turns out this PI is a convicted fraudster. He was paid $50,000

Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2019, 05:43 AM   #666
Arcade22
Philosopher

When i read that the "private investigator", who had come up with some pretty serious and yet extremely questionable unverified allegations, had sought out Musk on their own i suspected he would've been either a fraud or that they genuinely tried to investigate him but got nowhere and ended up just making up a bunch of stuff.
Old 4th October 2019, 05:45 AM   #667
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

I think Musk may be entering the Late Stage Howard Hughes phase of his genius.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2019, 08:57 AM   #668
catsmate
No longer the 1

This is completely unsurprising.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2019, 09:02 AM   #669
SuburbanTurkey
Master Poster

Musk gets ripped off because he was too stubborn to admit he rage tweeted defamation against a guy that criticized his stupid scuba tube that nobody asked for.

Mainline this directly into my veins please.
Old 4th October 2019, 10:42 AM   #670
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

What kind of a name is 'Elon Musk' anyway? Sound like a cheap eau de toilette.
Or will you stop once and wonder
What you're doing it for. ~ Nick Drake
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2019, 03:19 PM   #671
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Musk gets ripped off because he was too stubborn to admit he rage tweeted defamation against a guy that criticized his stupid scuba tube that nobody asked for.

Mainline this directly into my veins please.
That can be the Achilles heel for a lot of highly intelligent people. Can't admit when they are wrong.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2019, 04:11 PM   #672
mgidm86
Philosopher

What kind of a name is 'Elon Musk' anyway? Sound like a cheap eau de toilette.

Totally.

Why are we ruining this feel-good thread about the amazing cave rescue with talk of a guy who smells like a toilet (eww the toilet)?

Kids were rescued, that was frickin' amazing! These other cretins aren't worth giving a crap about.
Old 8th October 2019, 03:10 PM   #673
Thor 2
Philosopher

Originally Posted by catsmate View Post
This is completely unsurprising.

This excerpt tells it all:

Quote:
Public company executives should have “thicker skin,” said Columbia Business School adjunct professor William Klepper, noting that Musk has a fiduciary duty not to jeopardize billions of dollars of investment in his companies by acting like a “loose cannon.”
“If I’m sitting on that board, I’d say, ‘Wow, does he take similar impulsive moves when he’s working on our company’s strategy?” he said.

It should caution investors I would think.
Old 8th October 2019, 03:37 PM   #674
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Thor 2 View Post
This excerpt tells it all:
“If I’m sitting on that board, I’d say, ‘Wow, does he take similar impulsive moves when he’s working on our company’s strategy?” he said.
It should caution investors I would think.
One would hope that Musk's actual board members have done their due diligence and already reached an informed conclusion about their tolerance for Musk's antics.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2019, 07:24 PM   #675
Matthew Best
Philosopher

Musk plans to testify in his own defence to the effect (as mentioned upthread) that calling someone a "pedo guy" is a common insult in South Africa and doesn't imply that the person is an actual paedophile.

From where I'm standing, that seems highly unlikely to hold water, given that he also accused him of having a child bride, but then again Musk is a billionaire and Unsworth isn't, so presumably he has the best lawyers money can buy and I'm an idiot for not seeing their brilliant legal strategy.

The trial is due to begin on Tuesday.

https://www.usnews.com/news/top-news...is-lawyer-says
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2019, 07:30 PM   #676
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

He's a young guy. There is so much more insanity to come. We haven't seen anything yet; as they say.
Old 28th November 2019, 02:13 PM   #677
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by Matthew Best View Post
Musk plans to testify in his own defence to the effect (as mentioned upthread) that calling someone a "pedo guy" is a common insult in South Africa and doesn't imply that the person is an actual paedophile.

From where I'm standing, that seems highly unlikely to hold water, given that he also accused him of having a child bride, but then again Musk is a billionaire and Unsworth isn't, so presumably he has the best lawyers money can buy and I'm an idiot for not seeing their brilliant legal strategy.

The trial is due to begin on Tuesday.

Surely the defence is BS if Musk has been trying to substantiate the claims.

Old 29th November 2019, 08:45 PM   #678
Bob001
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Matthew Best View Post
If there was any shred of truth to that, the defense would call a couple linguistics professors to testify to the history and intent of the word.

But apparently he isn't.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2019, 03:09 AM   #679
Matthew Best
Philosopher

Trial starts today.
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2019, 03:43 AM   #680
Matthew Best
Philosopher

Seems to have gone as predicted so far: Musk says he didn't mean "pedo guy" to be taken literally, while in rebuttal the prosecution point to (a) his follow up tweet saying "bet you a signed dollar it's true"; (b) an email in which he told a reporter to "stop defending child rapists"; and (c) the fact he spent $52,000 on a private investigator to look into possible paedophile tendencies in the accuser.

I look forward to seeing the evidence for the assertion that "pedo guy" is a common expression in South Africa that in no way implies that the person described is a paedophile.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-50653531

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events