ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 12th July 2018, 02:35 AM   #1
Tsukasa Buddha
Other (please write in)

Papa John's chairman resigns, racially offensive during racial sensitivity training

Quote:
The publication reported the objectionable behavior took place on a conference call intended as a role-playing exercise for Schnatter on avoiding racially charged mishaps in the future.

The controversy comes only seven months after Schnatter relinquished his CEO role after criticizing National Football League players for kneeling during the national anthem, blaming the outcry surrounding their protests for slowing sales growth at Papa John's, at the time an NFL sponsor and advertiser.

On the May call, Schnatter reportedly said the N-word while complaining that a legendary fast-food chain founder had used the word in the past without being subjected to public backlash. He also reflected on his childhood in Indiana, saying people used to drag African-Americans from trucks until they died, according to Forbes.
Linky.

Brilliant.
Old 12th July 2018, 06:33 AM   #2
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

WTF
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2018, 10:56 AM   #3
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

I'm guessing he didn't pass the training course.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2018, 11:16 AM   #4
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

The bit about how put upon he feels compared to Colonel Sanders was hilarious. Yeah, "Papa John," people don't care much about racist comments made by a dude who was born in 1890, died in 1980, and hadn't owned his company since 1964.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2018, 11:19 AM   #5
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

This was definitely one of those "you had one job, man. One. Job." situations. All he had to do was smile and nod and say the words and get on with his life. And he blew it.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2018, 11:21 AM   #6
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Of course if Sanders were alive today and using the N word there would be boycotting against KFC even though he isn't an owner. He would lose a position on their board too if he was on it.
Old 12th July 2018, 11:25 AM   #7
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

What the future holds is more celebrities and famous people being wrecked because they used the N word or said something outwardly racist. These people all know the risks because they see it happening very regularly now. Yet it will continue over and over.
Old 12th July 2018, 11:36 AM   #8
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

I wonder if you could sell t-shirts saying "Trump Pardon Papa John"?
Old 12th July 2018, 11:43 AM   #9
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Why would you want to?
Old 12th July 2018, 11:44 AM   #10
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Profit.
Old 12th July 2018, 11:53 AM   #11
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Yes, but why would you want to?
Old 12th July 2018, 12:02 PM   #12
Mumbles
Philosopher

if it weren't for me refusing to buy his garbage pizza after his years-ago hissy fit over the idea of his own workers getting access to health care, I would consider not buying Papa Johns again over this.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2018, 12:12 PM   #13
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Papa John and Paula Deen are collaborating on a new pizza chain. It will feature artisan crispy crusts, hence the name 'Cracker Pizza'.

Comes with Honky Sauce on the side.
Old 12th July 2018, 12:41 PM   #14
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
if it weren't for me refusing to buy his garbage pizza after his years-ago hissy fit over the idea of his own workers getting access to health care, I would consider not buying Papa Johns again over this.
You needed him to give you a principled reason to not buy his garbage?
Old 12th July 2018, 12:45 PM   #15
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Yes, but why would you want to?
Profit and comedy. There's nothing for Trump to pardon so only the knuckleheads would buy it. Bwahahaha I got their money and I laughed too.
Old 12th July 2018, 12:46 PM   #16
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
Profit and comedy. There's nothing for Trump to pardon so only the knuckleheads would buy it. Bwahahaha I got their money and I laughed too.
Go for it.
Old 12th July 2018, 02:53 PM   #17
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

The guy was a good salesman:he managed to convince millions of people to pay 15 bucks for a pizza which was basically no better then a frozen one you can buy for half the price.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2018, 03:37 PM   #18
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
The guy was a good salesman:he managed to convince millions of people to pay 15 bucks for a pizza which was basically no better then a frozen one you can buy for half the price.
It wasn't always bad. Twenty years ago PJs was pretty good, at least compared to its rivals. Then they got cheap on the ingredients and did something vile with their sauce.
Old 12th July 2018, 03:42 PM   #19
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

I always understood that part of the price of a delivery pizza was so that I didn't have to go get it and I didn't have to unfreeze it myself.
Old 12th July 2018, 07:13 PM   #20
Pterodactyl
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
It wasn't always bad. Twenty years ago PJs was pretty good, at least compared to its rivals. Then they got cheap on the ingredients and did something vile with their sauce.
I worked at Papa Johns for about a two month period in high school.
Late 90s.

All veggies were fresh, chopped up in house.
No frozen stuff.

Sauce was decent back then too. Now it's way too sweet.

I would have described it as pretty high quality compared to pizza hut or dominos.

Not sure where they've cut corners these days, but it's definitely not as good.

Never heard anything overtly racist working there. Most of the delivery dudes sold pot.
One of them went away for a while on cocaine charges I heard later.

Edit:

One time this a-hole dude called in an order for a pepperoni pizza "with NO OLIVES! I absolutely HATE OLIVES. DO NOT PUT ANY OLIVES ON MY PIZZA"

Of course we carefully hid a sliced olive or two underneath every pepperoni. heh.

Last edited by Pterodactyl; 12th July 2018 at 07:20 PM.
Pterodactyl is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2018, 07:30 PM   #21
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
Papa John's shares, which fell nearly 5 percent on Wednesday, were up 12 percent on Thursday.
Screw this. It's a little too sweet for my taste, but still OK. If he just said the "N" word, meh. Stupid. But then the market rewards him? I'll find a different pizzeria.
Minoosh is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2018, 08:26 PM   #22
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
Screw this. It's a little too sweet for my taste, but still OK. If he just said the "N" word, meh. Stupid. But then the market rewards him? I'll find a different pizzeria.
For one thing, it wasn't just this last incident. The whole reason he was talking to the outside marketing company was in an effort to compensate for all the other objectionable crap that's spewed out of his mouth previous to the meeting where he decided that even the most minor self-censorship was intolerable. His reputation was dragging the company down for quite a while now.

Also, to be fair, the market is rewarding the company for the fact that he stepped down as chairman. While he's still the largest shareholder and will obviously make money off any increase in the stock price, in theory he's no longer in charge of the company.

Last edited by Babbylonian; 12th July 2018 at 08:28 PM.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2018, 08:48 PM   #23
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

How hard is it to not say insulting things?

*looks at AAH*

...never mind.

My mom told me she tries never to make fun of people for not knowing something.
- Randall Munroe
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2018, 10:25 PM   #24
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Babbylonian View Post
The bit about how put upon he feels compared to Colonel Sanders was hilarious. Yeah, "Papa John," people don't care much about racist comments made by a dude who was born in 1890, died in 1980, and hadn't owned his company since 1964.
My thoughts too. It's 2018, not 1950. Get a clue dude.
Old 13th July 2018, 01:59 AM   #25
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
I take that differently. The stock went down on the news that the ****** was at it again. It went back up when the news got out that they'd kicked him out.

It's called "reward and punishment". It's how you train pets, children and morons if you don't have the wherewithal to put them through intensive psychoanalysis.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th July 2018, 02:06 AM   #26
Porpoise of Life
Illuminator

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Papa John and Paula Deen are collaborating on a new pizza chain. It will feature artisan crispy crusts, hence the name 'Cracker Pizza'.

Comes with Honky Sauce on the side.
No mixing black and green olives though
Porpoise of Life is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th July 2018, 02:35 AM   #27
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Has he been subjected to a witch hunt the likes of which no other politician fast food franchise chairman has ever been subjected to? 12 angry Dem Dominos! Sad!

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th July 2018, 04:46 AM   #28
Spock Jenkins
Muse

Originally Posted by Pterodactyl View Post
One time this a-hole dude called in an order for a pepperoni pizza "with NO OLIVES! I absolutely HATE OLIVES. DO NOT PUT ANY OLIVES ON MY PIZZA"

Of course we carefully hid a sliced olive or two underneath every pepperoni. heh.
While I sympathize with the gentlemanís views on olives (my own being referenced in another thread), what reason would he have to think olives would find their way to a pepperoni pizza? Why call that much attention?

I will say that while I understand food service workers generally have a tough job and face their share of customer abuse, vindictive remedies like this can be dangerous. Letís say this passionate dislike of olives was driven by a severe allergy of his or one of his kids. Maybe he tried that route before (politely indicate allergy), and found olives anyway? Not likely, but possible.

If youíre inclined to mess with peopleís food, donít work in food service. I say this as a parent who has taken his son to the hospital over an anaphylactic reaction to food. His allergies are not common and we ask to read labels a lot. Most places are great, but some you get a clear vibe that youíre irritating the staff and they just donít believe you. We donít go out often because of this, but when weíre on the road, there isnít always a lot of choice.

If someone says avoid a certain ingredient, just avoid it regardless of their personality. If you canít handle that, food service probably isnít the industry for you.
Spock Jenkins is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th July 2018, 05:39 AM   #29
NoahFence
Banned

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
This was definitely one of those "you had one job, man. One. Job." situations. All he had to do was smile and nod and say the words and get on with his life. And he blew it.
These people aren't very bright. Just look at logger.
NoahFence is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th July 2018, 08:34 AM   #30
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Originally Posted by Pterodactyl View Post

That'll teach him to ask for no olives on his pizza.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th July 2018, 08:41 AM   #31
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Originally Posted by Spock Jenkins View Post
While I sympathize with the gentleman’s views on olives (my own being referenced in another thread), what reason would he have to think olives would find their way to a pepperoni pizza? Why call that much attention?
My experience is when people become so emphatic over something so trivial, it's because there have been several points in the recent past when they asked in a normal and casual fashion and their request was ignored, either accidentally or intentionally.

"Intentionally" is especially likely if he ever mentioned allergies. There seems to be a growing antipathy in food service toward customers who request omissions or alterations specifically to accommodate an allergy, with many being of the general opinion that the customer is lying and sometimes vindictively adding a small amount of the ingredient to spite them.

Last edited by Checkmite; 13th July 2018 at 08:45 AM.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th July 2018, 08:42 AM   #32
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
That'll teach him to ask for no olives on his pizza.
Yeah how dare someone not want olives on their pizza!
Old 13th July 2018, 08:53 AM   #33
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

How dangerous is the olive allergy? I mean, is it bad enough where the box has to say "This pizza was prepared and cooked in a facility that contains olives"?
Old 13th July 2018, 09:29 AM   #34
Spock Jenkins
Muse

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
How dangerous is the olive allergy? I mean, is it bad enough where the box has to say "This pizza was prepared and cooked in a facility that contains olives"?
My son isn’t allergic to particular foods. He’s allergic to some of the ingredients that go into making certain foods. Cheese, for example, is not naturally yellow. They add a “natural” coloring to make it yellow. Annatto. Vanilla ice cream has it. Many things yellow or orange in color have it. We generally don’t trust the staff to sort that one out. Show me the labels. His isn’t a contact allergy, but if it builds in his system, he’ll have an anaphylactic reaction. We avoid it entirely. I can easily see some knucklehead who doesn’t believe in allergies try to prove us wrong by slipping some yellow cheddar in with the mozzarella and being all self-impressed when that exposure doesn’t lead to a reaction.

Not every allergy is a tree nut or peanut contact allergy.

I have no idea if there is an olive allergy or just a general revulsion. I only brought it up to say that messing with people’s food isn’t a joke in a business setting. It can have serious consequences.

Last edited by Spock Jenkins; 13th July 2018 at 09:32 AM.
Spock Jenkins is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th July 2018, 11:52 AM   #35
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

I have no idea if there is an olive allergy or just a general revulsion. I only brought it up to say that messing with peopleís food isnít a joke in a business setting. It can have serious consequences.
I find it unsurprising that people feel they need to be firm or even redundant with their food requests, allergy-related or not. Even my own family can't remember that I don't like raw onions, and I am literally only 50% successful requesting "no onions" when ordering a hamburger or combo-style pizza.
Old 13th July 2018, 12:08 PM   #36
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer View Post
Has he been subjected to a witch hunt the likes of which no other politician fast food franchise chairman has ever been subjected to? 12 angry Dem Dominos! Sad!
Domino's founder is, of course, a right wing loon himself, of the sort for whom the Pope is insufficiently Catholic.
Old 13th July 2018, 12:12 PM   #37
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

For one thing, it wasn't just this last incident. The whole reason he was talking to the outside marketing company was in an effort to compensate for all the other objectionable crap that's spewed out of his mouth previous to the meeting where he decided that even the most minor self-censorship was intolerable. His reputation was dragging the company down for quite a while now.

Also, to be fair, the market is rewarding the company for the fact that he stepped down as chairman. While he's still the largest shareholder and will obviously make money off any increase in the stock price, in theory he's no longer in charge of the company.
You have to wonder how much he was really in charge anyway.
He seems to have been a classic case of enterupenuer disease:A guy who is good at building a small company into a big one turns out to do a poor job of running it once it becomes big.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th July 2018, 12:18 PM   #38
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

You have to wonder how much he was really in charge anyway.
He seems to have been a classic case of enterupenuer disease:A guy who is good at building a small company into a big one turns out to do a poor job of running it once it becomes big.
Maybe, but I think it's more likely that he did fine running the company from small to big (Papa John's is hardly new). He then got drunk on being rich and famous and rubbing elbows with the even more famous, and decided that he could say anything, anytime and get away with it.
Old 13th July 2018, 12:54 PM   #39
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Also, to be fair, the market is rewarding the company for the fact that he stepped down as chairman.
Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
I take that differently. The stock went down on the news that the ****** was at it again. It went back up when the news got out that they'd kicked him out.
That had not occurred to me!
Minoosh is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th July 2018, 02:44 PM   #40
Pterodactyl
Graduate Poster

If someone says avoid a certain ingredient, just avoid it regardless of their personality. If you can’t handle that, food service probably isn’t the industry for you.
My first, last and only food service job. Like I said I was only there a couple months.

Also, never heard anything back from the guy so he either died from eating the olives, or just didn’t notice them. So all’s well that ends well, I guess.

Last edited by Pterodactyl; 13th July 2018 at 03:05 PM.
Pterodactyl is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events