ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 13th July 2018, 02:55 PM   #41
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

My dad tells a story about his first high school aged job at a burger joint with a drive thru. As a prank one day he and some coworkers sent out a number of burgers without any meat. Only a few returned or complained. We all laugh every time he tells the story.
Old 13th July 2018, 03:02 PM   #42
Pterodactyl
Graduate Poster

Not funny. Those people could’ve had no-meat allergies.
Pterodactyl is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th July 2018, 03:09 PM   #43
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
My dad tells a story about his first high school aged job at a burger joint with a drive thru. As a prank one day he and some coworkers sent out a number of burgers without any meat. Only a few returned or complained. We all laugh every time he tells the story.
I'm sure the owner/franchisee would find the lost business hilarious, too.

I've had bad food and bad service that I've never complained about. Why? Because I choose not to give myself [additional] heartburn with a confrontation. It's much easier to just never go back and tell the people in my life that the place sucks.

It's one of the more common refrains from the delusional restaurant owners on Kitchen Nightmares: "It's obviously not the food that's the problem because almost nobody ever complains about it." Then, of course, Gordon samples and dislikes the food then goes in the back and finds dirt, mold, insects, frozen food, and/or spoiled food.

There are a lot of occasions (most) when I would favor service workers over their bosses, but screwing over customers isn't funny to me at all. It's usually not their fault when an employee hates their job.

Last edited by Babbylonian; 13th July 2018 at 03:11 PM.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th July 2018, 03:12 PM   #44
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Most people who have a bad eating or retail experience don't complain. They just never return. Although they'll probably tell other people the story every time that restaurant or business is mentioned. For years.
Old 13th July 2018, 03:15 PM   #45
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Most people who have a bad eating or retail experience don't complain. They just never return. Although they'll probably tell other people the story every time that restaurant or business is mentioned. For years.
A friend of mine went to Red Robin when they opened their first restaurant in Portland. He and his date got raw-in-the-center hamburgers. I don't think anyone who knew him gave the restaurant a chance for years. I only tried it out for the first time a few months ago because they offered delivery of poutine. It was a pretty good meal...and the burger was properly cooked.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th July 2018, 03:33 PM   #46
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Hey, you know Hanky's Burgers, well a few days ago I got a burger with no meat.
Did you complain?
No, what would I say when they've apparently stopped putting meat on burgers? It's all changed at that place.
* next guy hears the same story *
Man I was there yesterday and the burger was great as usual.
Must be a new owner who does meat burgers. I guess I'll go back now.
Old 13th July 2018, 03:55 PM   #47
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Hey, you know Hanky's Burgers? They cheated me. I paid for burgers and they left the meat out.

That sucks. Probably pothead teenagers working there. Next time they'll pee on the grill or something. Let's never go there.
Old 13th July 2018, 04:07 PM   #48
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

But it's something that seems like a stupid 1-in-10,000 error rather than an intentional prank. Because it's so audacious. Like a carry out pizza with no pizza in the box.

If their food is good you go back because there's just no way they can do that with any frequency.
Old 13th July 2018, 04:14 PM   #49
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

If their food is good you go back because there's just no way they can do that with any frequency.
How would somebody know that a place has good food if they're not served the food they order?

Leaving the meat out doesn't seem like an error at all. Of course it seems like a prank because how could someone possibly miss it? But when I get home and open up what I expect to be a hamburger and find no meat there, it's not going to seem funny to me in any way, shape, or form. I was hungry and now I'm hungry and angry. Like most pranks, it's only funny to the people who weren't the victims of the prank; "prank" is just code for "mean trick."
Old 13th July 2018, 05:08 PM   #50
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

He has mentioned the idea that some or all of those were eaten with the person not realizing that the pattie is missing. The idea that the customer never knew or cared that there is no meat.

I think I'm done with this and anyone else can have the last word on it.
Old 13th July 2018, 05:19 PM   #51
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

He has mentioned the idea that some or all of those were eaten with the person not realizing that the pattie is missing.
Yeah. He lied to himself and to others in order to make the trick seem less mean. Congratulations to him for his rationalization and to you for thinking it was funny! Well done!

I've had a fair number of hamburgers over the years and the only way I wouldn't have noticed a missing patty is if I was struck blind and had my entire mouth numbed with a -caine of some sort.
Old 13th July 2018, 05:55 PM   #52
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

He has mentioned the idea that some or all of those were eaten with the person not realizing that the pattie is missing. The idea that the customer never knew or cared that there is no meat.

I think I'm done with this and anyone else can have the last word on it.
Originally Posted by Babbylonian View Post
Yeah. He lied to himself and to others in order to make the trick seem less mean. Congratulations to him for his rationalization and to you for thinking it was funny! Well done!
Congrats also to William for pretending the harm to the business is not a factor.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th July 2018, 07:34 PM   #53
Pterodactyl
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Babbylonian View Post
How would somebody know that a place has good food if they're not served the food they order?

Leaving the meat out doesn't seem like an error at all. Of course it seems like a prank because how could someone possibly miss it? But when I get home and open up what I expect to be a hamburger and find no meat there, it's not going to seem funny to me in any way, shape, or form. I was hungry and now I'm hungry and angry. Like most pranks, it's only funny to the people who weren't the victims of the prank; "prank" is just code for "mean trick."
You are the best type of person to play a prank on.
Pterodactyl is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th July 2018, 07:47 PM   #54
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Pterodactyl View Post
And, I presume, steal from?
Old 13th July 2018, 10:22 PM   #55
Travis
Misanthrope of the Mountains

I had a niece working at a Taco Bell. I went through the drive-thru and realized she was taking the order. I changed up my voice and ordered a burrito without a tortilla. Took her a bit to wrap her head around that.

Travis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th July 2018, 12:46 AM   #56
Roboramma
Penultimate Amazing

If I pay for a pizza and ask for no olives and the staff agrees to that request, then yes I have a problem with getting a pizza with olives on it. You cheated me. Similarly if I order and pizza and you send me a salad, I'm not going to be happy. Even if it's just a matter of taste, I made an agreement to pay a certain amount for a particular item, and I payed the money but didn't receive the item agreed to.

There's a restaurant I quite like that I went to a few times with a friend. One time he went there on his own and ordered a dish. He's a muslim and eats only halal meat, so when he eats out he just makes sure he doesn't order anything with meat on it. He asked them if the dishes he ordered had meat and they said no.

When the food came there was pork in his food. Of course he refuses to ever go back.
"... when people thought the Earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the Earth was spherical they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the Earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the Earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together."
Isaac Asimov
Roboramma is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th July 2018, 03:37 AM   #57
Spock Jenkins
Muse

My first, last and only food service job. Like I said I was only there a couple months.

Also, never heard anything back from the guy so he either died from eating the olives, or just didn’t notice them. So all’s well that ends well, I guess.
More likely noticed, never went back, and told everyone he knows about that awful place. As has been mentioned further up thread. Really. How can one not notice olives? With multiple pizzas, only one having olives on it, the order stinks of olives! Vile ingredient that no one really likes.

I lasted three weeks in food service before finding something else. As much as I hated it, I never felt compelled to mess with someone’s food. Even as a 16 year old kid. *Brag post*

Last edited by Spock Jenkins; 14th July 2018 at 03:39 AM.
Spock Jenkins is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th July 2018, 04:06 AM   #58
3point14
Pi

You and I clearly have very different definitions of the word 'prank'

I assume you're using the clickbait, youtube, new fangled version of 'prank', the definition of which, I understand is: 'being a cock-juggling thunder-****'

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th July 2018, 05:16 AM   #59
Pterodactyl
Graduate Poster

Whatever. That guy was an olive racist and deserved what he got. Also you’re starting to make me think I am possibly singularly responsible for bringing down Papa John himself.
So it’s an even bigger win than I first imagined.
Old 14th July 2018, 05:25 AM   #60
Roboramma
Penultimate Amazing

Whatever. That guy was an olive racist and deserved what he got.
Just to be clear, the only thing he did wrong was to not want olives on his pizza that he was paying for. And you agreed to this, but then gave him olives anyway. This makes him an *******.
"... when people thought the Earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the Earth was spherical they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the Earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the Earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together."
Isaac Asimov
Roboramma is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th July 2018, 05:47 AM   #61
Pterodactyl
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Roboramma View Post
Just to be clear, the only thing he did wrong was to not want olives on his pizza that he was paying for. And you agreed to this, but then gave him olives anyway. This makes him an *******.
Nah. Im not saying I was right to hide olives under this man's pepperonis.
I am saying I still laugh when I think about it though. Dude was a grade A jerk.

I would apologize but I dont care.
Old 14th July 2018, 05:54 AM   #62
3point14
Pi

Nah. Im not saying I was right to hide olives under this man's pepperonis.
I am saying I still laugh when I think about it though. Dude was a grade A jerk.

I would apologize but I dont care.

Maybe he was just having a bad day.

I presume that when you pay fifteen quid for a pizza to be delivered, you don't care if it comes as you ordered it and you can't eat it cos it's ruined. I presume It's worth the fifteen quid to you for 'the lolz'? You can always make toast after waiting half an hour for food that's been ruined.

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th July 2018, 06:01 AM   #63
Roboramma
Penultimate Amazing

Dude was a grade A jerk.
That's entirely possible, I think that the reason you've been getting so many negative comments is that you say "Dude was a grade A jerk" but you haven't actually said anything jerky that he did except stress that he didn't want olives. Which doesn't seem to be much a jerk move and certainly doesn't merit giving him olives.

Anyway, maybe you had to be there.
Isaac Asimov
Old 14th July 2018, 06:29 AM   #64
Spock Jenkins
Muse

Typically when one spends this long trying to defend the indefensible, perhaps it’s time for some introspection.
Spock Jenkins is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th July 2018, 06:31 AM   #65
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Domino's founder is, of course, a right wing loon himself, of the sort for whom the Pope is insufficiently Catholic.
Yes, but he seems to be able to keep it under control enough so he doesn't alienate the pizza buying public. I live in a neighborhood that would despise Monaghan if they put in the energy to find out about him. However, I still see lots of Domino's cars in the evenings.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th July 2018, 06:41 AM   #66
Pterodactyl
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Spock Jenkins View Post
Typically when one spends this long trying to defend the indefensible, perhaps itís time for some introspection.
Introspection over putting olives on a pizza when I was 16. Got it.
Old 14th July 2018, 06:57 AM   #67
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Make no mistake, if I had ordered a pizza without X and saw that X was put on, obviously deliberately, not only would I not return to the place, but I would certainly complain. And if it were a national chain like Papa Johns, I would complain to the corporate headquarters. I would expect at least that the worker who did it lose their job.

I would actually half expect the manager to get canned, as well. It certainly wouldn't surprise me.

I realize that working in the service industry comes with challenges, and I can handle mistakes. Just the other night, I ordered a chicken sandwich at Wendys with no mayo, and it came with mayo (the rest of the order was correct). But I don't accept incompetence or tomfoolery. When we ordered at a place and the food never came because the workers were jacking around in the back (we were the only ones there, so it's not like they got busy and missed it), that was unacceptable.

If there was an olive under every pepperoni, after asking for no olives, you darn skippy I'm contacting corporate. The worker is being an ass, and the company needs to know.
Old 14th July 2018, 06:59 AM   #68
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

No, introspection over being a douchebag.
Old 14th July 2018, 07:02 AM   #69
Pterodactyl
Graduate Poster

Classic example of the unrelenting internet morality police phenomenon at play here.
How many Hail Marys until I attain internet forgiveness?
Old 14th July 2018, 07:07 AM   #70
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

My first, last and only food service job. Like I said I was only there a couple months.

Also, never heard anything back from the guy so he either died from eating the olives, or just didn’t notice them. So all’s well that ends well, I guess.

Or maybe he just decided to quit buying pizzas from Papa John's because they kept screwing up his order no matter how hard he tried to get across to them.

Another dissatisfied customer.

It seems needlessly vindictive to me to hide olives on somebody's pizza simply because they didn't want olives on their pizza. Also a lot of unnecessary work.

I think the employees' actions are far more disturbing than are those of the guy who ordered the pizza. I am puzzled by your apparent pride for being a part of this.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."

Last edited by quadraginta; 14th July 2018 at 07:17 AM.
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th July 2018, 07:13 AM   #71
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Classic example of the unrelenting internet morality police phenomenon at play here.
Doesn't have to be hail marys. Any sincere gesture of contrition will do.

What you did was wrong. But at 16, easily forgivable. The objection everyone has right now is that you seem to still be proud of it, and seem to still be having fun trolling people with it nobody likes to that.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th July 2018, 07:16 AM   #72
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Introspection over things you might have done differently if you had given it more thought at the time is not a bad thing. It really doesn't matter much how long ago it was.

Sometimes it can help you make better choices in the future.

Assuming you want to make better choices in the future, of course.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th July 2018, 07:17 AM   #73
Pterodactyl
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Doesn't have to be hail marys. Any sincere gesture of contrition will do.

What you did was wrong. But at 16, easily forgivable. The objection everyone has right now is that you seem to still be proud of it, and seem to still be having fun trolling people with it nobody likes to that.
A sincere gesture of contrition to people I've never met on the internet will fix this this terrible mistake I have made?

I am blessed!
Old 14th July 2018, 07:18 AM   #74
Pterodactyl
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
Introspection over things you might have done differently if you had given it more thought at the time is not a bad thing. It really doesn't matter much how long ago it was.

Sometimes it can help you make better choices in the future.

Assuming you want to make better choices in the future, of course.
I shall take this under advisement and strive to never put olives on another pizza so help me god.
Old 14th July 2018, 07:22 AM   #75
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

A sincere gesture of contrition to people I've never met on the internet will fix this this terrible mistake I have made?

I am blessed!

Demonstrating that you regret having done it rather than appearing to take pride in the act would be a sincere gesture of contrition. Or at least a gesture, sincere or otherwise.

And contrition isn't something you do for the benefit of other people, it is something you do for yourself.

It is your subsequent behavior which shows people you are actually contrite. That's all any gesture would be for.

Old 14th July 2018, 07:24 AM   #76
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

I shall take this under advisement and strive to never put olives on another pizza so help me god.

If that is all you got out of my post then you definitely need to work on the introspection part.

Old 14th July 2018, 07:26 AM   #77
Pterodactyl
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
Demonstrating that you regret having done it rather than appearing to take pride in the act would be a sincere gesture of contrition. Or at least a gesture, sincere or otherwise.

And contrition isn't something you do for the benefit of other people, it is something you do for yourself.

It is your subsequent behavior which shows people you are actually contrite. That's all any gesture would be for.
Why should i be bothered to show people on a random internet forum contrition?
If I owe anything to anyone, it would be the guy whose pizza got olives on it, but since he clearly died from olive allergy heart explosion syndrome, I consider the matter closed.
Old 14th July 2018, 07:27 AM   #78
Spock Jenkins
Muse

[Dad mode]That doesnít seem very sincere. Say it like you mean it, or you have to stay in your timeout.[\Dad mode]
Old 14th July 2018, 07:30 AM   #79
3point14
Pi

Forgiveness is normally only granted after genuine contrition.

Old 14th July 2018, 07:33 AM   #80
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Why should i be bothered to show people on a random internet forum contrition?
If I owe anything to anyone, it would be the guy whose pizza got olives on it, but since he clearly died from olive allergy heart explosion syndrome, I consider the matter closed.
You did an unkind thing. Now you're celebrating it, and you're being unkind to anyone who objects. Why?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events