ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags homophobia incidents , London incidents

Old 8th June 2019, 03:25 AM   #121
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Shadowdweller View Post
Concussions have been known to cause memory loss.
Dont get me wrong at the moment I'm more than willing to give them the benefit of the doubt, it was just a musing from what one of them posted.
Old 8th June 2019, 03:28 AM   #122
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
Call me old fashioned and blame my dead mother and father for it, but unless they smashed their own bodies around to cause the blood, dudes don't hit chicks.

On average a man kills a woman once a week in Australia due to domestic violence.

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/counting...idden-epidemic
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th June 2019, 03:29 AM   #123
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Call me old fashioned and blame my dead mother and father for it, but unless they smashed their own bodies around to cause the blood, dudes don't hit chicks.
Yeah I was brought up that way and understand how those behaviour restraints are programmed into us but it is a load of crap. Everyone should be allowed to defend themselves with an appropriate amount of force regards of the sex of the attacker.

I doubt very much that their injuries result from an appropriate amount of self defense even if they were the first to punch.
Old 8th June 2019, 03:35 AM   #124
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Yeah I was brought up that way and understand how those behaviour restraints are programmed into us but it is a load of crap. Everyone should be allowed to defend themselves with an appropriate amount of force regards of the sex of the attacker.

I doubt very much that their injuries result from an appropriate amount of self defense even if they were the first to punch.

Women, on average, can't do as much damage to a man as the man can do to the woman. Hence the skewed statistics in domestic violence events.

From what I read there they did instigate some kind of confrontation but it hardly justifies the violence they got back.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th June 2019, 04:16 AM   #125
Information Analyst
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
But I still don't know what it means. Am I supposed to suddenly hate something, or what?
Your naivety about the British press is charming.
Information Analyst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th June 2019, 04:17 AM   #126
Information Analyst
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Jack by the hedge View Post
The Mail are fishing for anything they can get about the victims to try to give the story legs. Presumably this story will run at least until the perpetrators are identified and tracked down, so it needs filler until that happens. In the meantime, any salacious gossip or titillating detail they can buy will be spun into another day's story about the victims. They're lesbians: any relationship history the paper can unearth, however mundane, will be spun to sound as titillating as possible.

These women are not just the victims of a violent attack, their lives have now been fed into the tabloid machine and they're going to suffer a couple of weeks of stories that even they will scarcely recognise as referring to themselves.
Exactly.
Information Analyst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th June 2019, 04:23 AM   #127
Information Analyst
Penultimate Amazing

I was thinking that this was the way for Daily Mail to publish meaningful support for the victims.
A-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha!!!!!

You should do stand-up with material like that.
Old 8th June 2019, 04:28 AM   #128
p0lka
Graduate Poster

What was everyone else on the bus doing, just watching?
p0lka is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th June 2019, 04:35 AM   #129
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by Darat View Post

We will soon know probably, but these two don't exactly look threatening.

Unless they were throwing themselves at the teenagers she looks a bit cut case overkill dudes hit chicks
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th June 2019, 04:41 AM   #130
Information Analyst
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
The bus company has told reporters that the CCTV footage shows the attack. Due to the nature of CCTV cameras on buses, there is a negligible chance that the footage could somehow show any part of the attack without showing the whole thing, since they are stationary cameras that show the entire passenger area of the bus and are always operating.
This. There are multiple cameras on buses, covering every possible angle inside, and a number outside, as well (often successfully used to dispute liability in accidents). This is also one of the factors which bump up the numbers of CCTV cameras in use to a level some think is "Orwellian."
Old 8th June 2019, 04:47 AM   #131
Information Analyst
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Delphic Oracle View Post
Was it on a front page?
Not even the London Evening Standard. The print version had it on page 7, and also included the detail about the accents of the assailants, which William Parcher seemed to read something into it being absent from the online version.
Old 8th June 2019, 04:47 AM   #132
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by p0lka View Post
It's one of those British double-decker busses and this reportedly happened in the upstairs part. I don't know if anyone else was up there at the time. If they were, maybe they didn't want to get involved.
Old 8th June 2019, 04:48 AM   #133
Information Analyst
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by IsThisTheLife View Post
There have been 49 murders in London in 2019 so far. There were 119 in 2018. Every one of them on the national front pages ... not.
Define "front page." The majority of murders in London certainly get media coverage, simply because they're exceptional events.

Last edited by Information Analyst; 8th June 2019 at 04:50 AM.
Old 8th June 2019, 05:00 AM   #134
Information Analyst
Penultimate Amazing

OK, how about "leading story on the national TV news"?
Which national broadcaster had it as the leading item on the news yesterday?
Old 8th June 2019, 05:02 AM   #135
Information Analyst
Penultimate Amazing

The basic problem is that London is becoming more and more lawless, provably.
Which bit of London do you live in, then?
Old 8th June 2019, 05:04 AM   #136
Information Analyst
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by kookbreaker View Post
Are we going to have another 8 page thread of London natives refuting No-Go zone claims again?
Well, if idiots keep making such nonsense claims...
Old 8th June 2019, 05:10 AM   #137
Information Analyst
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by p0lka View Post
It was the top deck of a night bus at 02:30 in the morning on a weekday. It's entirely possible that the only ones there were the victims and their assailants, especially given the route and direction of travel.
Old 8th June 2019, 05:21 AM   #138
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by Information Analyst View Post
It was the top deck of a night bus at 02:30 in the morning on a weekday. It's entirely possible that the only ones there were the victims and their assailants, especially given the route and direction of travel.
Tbf While I think we should go with the womens version, this is the bit that sounds extremely odd
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

cullennz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th June 2019, 05:24 AM   #139
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

The Sun reports that a fifth suspect has been arrested this morning. No further information on that.
Old 8th June 2019, 05:33 AM   #140
Information Analyst
Penultimate Amazing

Tbf While I think we should go with the womens version, this is the bit that sounds extremely odd
Why? The very reason we have night buses in London is because people still need to get from A to B, even at night. Services are frequent so that you don't have to wait too long, but that means that often there are only a few people on each one, depending on where on the route the vehicle is. When Mrs Analyst still went clubbing, the night bus we got back from central London terminates two minutes walk from the house, and often we'd be the only people on it for the last few stops.

Last edited by Information Analyst; 8th June 2019 at 05:36 AM.
Old 8th June 2019, 05:35 AM   #141
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

I'll wait for the charges now as there is something about this that seems a bit dodge

Old 8th June 2019, 05:37 AM   #142
Information Analyst
Penultimate Amazing

I'll wait for the charges now as there is something about this that seems a bit dodge
Because you don't think two women would be getting a night bus home at 02:30 in London?!
Old 8th June 2019, 05:41 AM   #143
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Okay Shaggy, you wanna go get Daphne and Velma and regale the class. What exactly is odd about it?

There are always a few people who head to the upper deck. The London bus system is not exactly dangerous, but at those hours most passengers are regulars and just want to get where they are going, but there are always a few who historically ride the upper deck and will do so regardless of the hour.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th June 2019, 05:48 AM   #144
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

The two women are Melania (Ryanair brunette) and Chris.

Melania said that they sat upstairs. She didn't know if the guys were already up there when they entered, or if the guys came up there after they sat down. She does say that the guys were the only other passengers up there with them. She said that there were at least four guys but maybe more.

They were both sitting together and then the taunting began. She tried to defuse the situation by telling jokes and claiming that Chris was sick. It didn't work and the guy(s) started tossing coins. Then she says that she noticed that Chris was suddenly in the middle of the bus but she doesn't know how she got there. (It seems possible that Chris went to confront the guys.)

When she saw Chris in the middle of the bus she saw that they were fighting. She went there to pull Chris away and got punched.

She says that the fighting continued to downstairs on the bus but says nothing more about that - such as how or why. She says that she later noticed a bag and phone were missing.

A photograph of them bleeding on the bus was taken by some other passenger (though the photo is copyright credited to Melania). Maybe she handed her phone to a passenger to take the documenting photo. I can't tell if the photo was taken upstairs or downstairs.

Police are asking for witnesses of the attack to come forward. They probably wouldn't ask for that if they could see (from the cameras) that there are no other potential witnesses on the bus.
Old 8th June 2019, 06:08 AM   #145
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

The vagueness of the story (how she doesn't remember some details of it) and the time of day suggests they had been out drinking. No matter, if it's all on video, that should show what actually happened.
Old 8th June 2019, 06:09 AM   #146
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

The two women are Melania (Ryanair brunette) and Chris.

Melania said that they sat upstairs. She didn't know if the guys were already up there when they entered, or if the guys came up there after they sat down. She does say that the guys were the only other passengers up there with them. She said that there were at least four guys but maybe more.

They were both sitting together and then the taunting began. She tried to defuse the situation by telling jokes and claiming that Chris was sick. It didn't work and the guy(s) started tossing coins. Then she says that she noticed that Chris was suddenly in the middle of the bus but she doesn't know how she got there. (It seems possible that Chris went to confront the guys.)

When she saw Chris in the middle of the bus she saw that they were fighting. She went there to pull Chris away and got punched.

She says that the fighting continued to downstairs on the bus but says nothing more about that - such as how or why. She says that she later noticed a bag and phone were missing.

A photograph of them bleeding on the bus was taken by some other passenger (though the photo is copyright credited to Melania). Maybe she handed her phone to a passenger to take the documenting photo. I can't tell if the photo was taken upstairs or downstairs.

Police are asking for witnesses of the attack to come forward. They probably wouldn't ask for that if they could see (from the cameras) that there are no other potential witnesses on the bus.
Is this sourced or your work putting together a narrative from various reports?

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th June 2019, 06:14 AM   #147
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
Is this sourced or your work putting together a narrative from various reports?
Nearly all the media has identical quotes from Melania who seems to have done all the talking to reporters. Some media seems to have not quoted everything that she said.

If it matters greatly to you then you should do your own digging.
Old 8th June 2019, 06:39 AM   #148
IsThisTheLife
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by chrispy View Post
Cool. Must be fun hating those not like you.
It's all so simple - if you're simple minded. I often ask people how they differentiate between anger and hatred. What's your take?
Old 8th June 2019, 06:42 AM   #149
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Yeah because it's pretty much only in the privileged environs of London you still get all night buses!
Old 8th June 2019, 06:42 AM   #150
Information Analyst
Penultimate Amazing

It's definitely the lower deck - you can see the wheelchair space next to them.
Old 8th June 2019, 06:44 AM   #151
Information Analyst
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
The vagueness of the story (how she doesn't remember some details of it) and the time of day suggests they had been out drinking.
Not withstanding the fact that might to be down to concussion, so what?
Old 8th June 2019, 06:45 AM   #152
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Some direct quotes...

"They got up out of their seats and walked over to where we were and started very aggressively harassing us. One of them stayed a couple of rows behind and was throwing coins at us."

"Fighting broke out and I don’t know how we got from fighting on the top of the bus down to the lower deck but in that time frame they took my phone, her bag and they ran off the bus."

"The next thing I know is I'm being punched. I got dizzy at the sight of my blood and fell back. I don't remember whether or not I lost consciousness. Suddenly the bus had stopped, the police were there and I was bleeding all over."

"I don't even know if I was knocked unconscious. I felt blood, I was bleeding all over my clothes and all over the floor. We went downstairs and the police were there."

"We tried to make them go away, but they didn't. They started throwing us coins. The next thing I know is that Chris is in the middle of the bus and they are punching her. I immediately went there just by impulse, I didn't think about it, and I tried to pull her out of there. So they started punching me, I don't remember if I was trying to get her out, or I punched somebody – I really don't."

"So they started beating me until I was bleeding. I was really bleeding. We went downstairs and the police were already there. They took our statements and they called the ambulance and everything."
Old 8th June 2019, 07:04 AM   #153
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

It's definitely the lower deck - you can see the wheelchair space next to them.
Ok. Here is the least cropped photo of the scene that I can find. So then the yellow bars and pad arrangement to the left is the wheelchair station?

It seems possible that Melania handed her phone to the police who took this picture (for her). Or it could have been another passenger. She does say that when they went downstairs the police were already there. Maybe there was no fighting downstairs at all. Here is her quote about that again...

"Fighting broke out and I don’t know how we got from fighting on the top of the bus down to the lower deck but in that time frame they took my phone, her bag and they ran off the bus."

The bolded part might be ambiguous because it might mean fighting was happening up and down. I'll now just go with fighting upstairs only.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5c.jpg (57.8 KB, 18 views)
Old 8th June 2019, 07:12 AM   #154
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by The Guardian
A 16-year-old boy was arrested on suspicion of robbery and aggravated burglary on Saturday morning, Scotland Yard said.

Four other men between the ages of 15 and 18 have already been arrested on suspicion of robbery and aggravated grievous bodily harm and are being questioned separately...
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...phobic-assault
Old 8th June 2019, 07:32 AM   #155
Information Analyst
Penultimate Amazing

Ok. Here is the least cropped photo of the scene that I can find. So then the yellow bars and pad arrangement to the left is the wheelchair station?
Yes.
Old 8th June 2019, 07:37 AM   #156
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

Nearly all the media has identical quotes from Melania who seems to have done all the talking to reporters. Some media seems to have not quoted everything that she said.

If it matters greatly to you then you should do your own digging.
I tried to do my own digging but nothing came up with the narrative in the order and wording you used. I was curious if I'd missed an article somewhere.

Old 8th June 2019, 07:47 AM   #157
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
I tried to do my own digging but nothing came up with the narrative in the order and wording you used. I was curious if I'd missed an article somewhere.
Everything I wrote can be sourced with the exception of what I put in parenthesis. That was where I said that it seems possible that Chris confronted the guys and that's how she suddenly ended up in the middle of the bus. Melania seems to not know how or why Chris went from sitting next to her to being in the middle of the bus.

Now, I'm willing to try to source anything I said that you may think is fishy. I have read and sourced from at least 20 articles. I have only been interested in direct quotes from the women.
Old 8th June 2019, 07:57 AM   #158
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

Everything I wrote can be sourced with the exception of what I put in parenthesis. That was where I said that it seems possible that Chris confronted the guys and that's how she suddenly ended up in the middle of the bus. Melania seems to not know how or why Chris went from sitting next to her to being in the middle of the bus.

Now, I'm willing to try to source anything I said that you may think is fishy. I have read and sourced from at least 20 articles. I have only been interested in direct quotes from the women.
No. I'm just lazy. And my Google sometimes runs afoul of the Thai censors. (Every now and then the colonels get out their old playbook and I don't get Daily Mail cites because they were blacklisted at one point for publishing something that the monarchists didn't like.)

Old 8th June 2019, 12:46 PM   #159
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Not withstanding the fact that might to be down to concussion, so what?
Nothing wrong with it at all. Just an observation. They are adults. On the other hand, kids as young as 15 out at that hour, seems like a problem to me.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-48566800
Old 8th June 2019, 11:04 PM   #160
Venom
Illuminator

It is obviously an extremely ugly disgusting act, but if they culprits were 15/16 year olds I don't think we should really worry about a plague of this yet.
lol?

This is just a small example of an almost innate toxic male entitlement.

What they need is a punch to the face and some time to heal behind bars.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events