ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags !MOD BOX WARNING! , Andrew Bolt , autism , environmental activists , Greta Thunberg

Closed Thread
Old 3rd August 2019, 05:07 PM   #161
Robin
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 11,073
There are a number of interesting attitudes on display here.

Apparently autism is something shameful and should be hidden away.

I am not sure how that works. It seems to be obvious to anyone who meets us that we are not normal. Are we supposed to pretend we are just weird?

And, no, autism is not something that is "wrong" with us.
__________________
The non-theoretical character of metaphysics would not be in itself a defect; all arts have this non-theoretical character without thereby losing their high value for personal as well as for social life. The danger lies in the deceptive character of metaphysics; it gives the illusion of knowledge without actually giving any knowledge. This is the reason why we reject it. - Rudolf Carnap "Philosophy and Logical Syntax"
Robin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd August 2019, 05:21 PM   #162
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Gulf Coast
Posts: 24,511
Originally Posted by Robin View Post
I am not sure how that works. It seems to be obvious to anyone who meets us that we are not normal. Are we supposed to pretend we are just weird?
It's just a "trendy new label" for attention-seekers, evidently.
__________________
"¿WHAT KIND OF BIRD?
¿A PARANORMAL BIRD?"
--- Carlos S., 2002
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th August 2019, 12:07 AM   #163
Matthew Best
Philosopher
 
Matthew Best's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Leicester Square, London
Posts: 7,167
Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
Country Living - a 'Green' website is a 'right-wing source'?
Wait, what? You're saying that Country Living is a Green website now?

Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th August 2019, 01:45 AM   #164
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"
 
jimbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 21,531
Originally Posted by Childlike Empress View Post
I laid that trap deliberately for you, buddy, Was up in the search results.

It doesn't matter one bit who summarizes the review of a journalist who came to simiilar conclusions like the one who wrote the extensive review I read (also, like the Danish one, being very sympathetic to Greta's cause).

But you knew that. But couldn't help yourself. Really on a roll, aren't we?
So you do have a more credible source, but decided to link to a couple of really dubious ones.

Well, it's an odd way to make your point, and an even odder way to think that you have laid a trap.

I have no doubt that sputnik or RT will sometimes tell the truth if there is no reason for them to lie.
__________________
OECD healthcare spending
Expenditure on healthcare
http://www.oecd.org/els/health-systems/health-data.htm
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th August 2019, 05:00 AM   #165
Robin
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 11,073
Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
When I was eight, I was stricken by the thought of people starving in the world. I made my mother send off all of my spare money to a famine-relief charity. I went on a 30-mile walk for Oxfam with sponsorship. Was I special? No.
Who is saying she is special? It is her right-wing critics that are trying to claim that she is special in some sinister way.

Having autism doesn't make anybody special and I don't know anyone who claims it does.

She doesn't have to be special to be right.
__________________
The non-theoretical character of metaphysics would not be in itself a defect; all arts have this non-theoretical character without thereby losing their high value for personal as well as for social life. The danger lies in the deceptive character of metaphysics; it gives the illusion of knowledge without actually giving any knowledge. This is the reason why we reject it. - Rudolf Carnap "Philosophy and Logical Syntax"
Robin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th August 2019, 05:36 AM   #166
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing
 
Vixen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Suomi
Posts: 17,649
Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
The difference between this Svante and other Svantes is that this one was named from Svante Arrhenius. It says so right in the article. That's not pretentious. It's rather common to name your children from famous people.



No, it doesn't.



Someone sure is contemptible.

Tell me, Vixen: Do you believe autism is a real thing?

Autism is real and there is nothing cute or fashionable about it.

Greta is likely a deeply anxious person and now she has to travel to the US by boat for fear of being not being seen to practice what she preaches.
__________________
Do you curse where you come from, Do you swear in the night
Will it mean much to you, If I treat you right.
Do you like what you're doing, Would you do it some more
Or will you stop once and wonder
What you're doing it for. ~ Nick Drake
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th August 2019, 05:46 AM   #167
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing
 
Vixen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Suomi
Posts: 17,649
Originally Posted by Robin View Post
There are a number of interesting attitudes on display here.

Apparently autism is something shameful and should be hidden away.

I am not sure how that works. It seems to be obvious to anyone who meets us that we are not normal. Are we supposed to pretend we are just weird?

And, no, autism is not something that is "wrong" with us.
Nobody said it was shameful. What is concerning IMV is that her parents advertise this fact as though it explains Greta's passion for climate change activism.

Her conditions are her private affair and she doesn't need to explain her proclivities with reference to her medical diagnoses. There is a lot of disagreement amongst specialists anyway. Half the people you meet with 'Aspergers' have diagnosed themself when actually it takes a thorough neurological examination to reach that conclusion.

It is her parents who see her condition as shameful in their need to 'explain' to the public and the media Greta's presence, which is charming and doesn't need to be justified.
__________________
Do you curse where you come from, Do you swear in the night
Will it mean much to you, If I treat you right.
Do you like what you're doing, Would you do it some more
Or will you stop once and wonder
What you're doing it for. ~ Nick Drake
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th August 2019, 06:02 AM   #168
Matthew Best
Philosopher
 
Matthew Best's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Leicester Square, London
Posts: 7,167
Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
Half the people you meet with 'Aspergers' have diagnosed themself
Citation needed.
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th August 2019, 06:08 AM   #169
ThatGuy11200
Thinker
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: London
Posts: 194
Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
Autism is real and there is nothing cute or fashionable about it.

Greta is likely a deeply anxious person and now she has to travel to the US by boat for fear of being not being seen to practice what she preaches.
Now you're just making crap up.
ThatGuy11200 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th August 2019, 06:09 AM   #170
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"
 
jimbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 21,531
Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
Autism is real and there is nothing cute or fashionable about it.

Greta is likely a deeply anxious person and now she has to travel to the US by boat for fear of being not being seen to practice what she preaches.
Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
Nobody said it was shameful. What is concerning IMV is that her parents advertise this fact as though it explains Greta's passion for climate change activism.

Her conditions are her private affair and she doesn't need to explain her proclivities with reference to her medical diagnoses. There is a lot of disagreement amongst specialists anyway. Half the people you meet with 'Aspergers' have diagnosed themself when actually it takes a thorough neurological examination to reach that conclusion.

It is her parents who see her condition as shameful in their need to 'explain' to the public and the media Greta's presence, which is charming and doesn't need to be justified.
You seem to be basing your opinions on unstated assumptions about this, unless you have additional information.

My understanding is that Greta Thunberg was rightly concerned about global warming on her own account.

She started a school strike, which spread and that pushed her into the public eye.

Her parents are supporting her, but there is no need to think that they're pushing her.

Only when it was pointed out that there was something odd in her manner, was her diagnosis of ASD offered as an explanation. She is obviously happy to point out that her ASD gave her a different view of the world; she is also sixteen. She didn't need to explain, but she felt it worthwhile - you seem to be attacking her for pointing out that there are reasons for her awkwardness in being interviewed in a second language.




I personally know sixteen year-olds with well-developed political views (including my kids, and I'd say myself when I was that age - and my daughter managed to get an op-ed piece in the Telegraph when she was only one year older).

From your posts, I understand you went to a grammar school. If you cast your mind back, do you really think that none of your contemporaries at sixteen would have been able to take such decisions, or be politically involved? If that's the case, then you went to a completely different type of grammar school to me.

There is no reason to believe that Greta Thunberg "has to travel to the US by boat for fear of being not being seen to practice what she preaches." as opposed to her simply having principles and wanting to keep to them - she is sixteen and obviously deeply committed to campaigning.
__________________
OECD healthcare spending
Expenditure on healthcare
http://www.oecd.org/els/health-systems/health-data.htm
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th August 2019, 06:11 AM   #171
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"
 
jimbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 21,531
Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
Autism is real and there is nothing cute or fashionable about it.

Greta is likely a deeply anxious person and now she has to travel to the US by boat for fear of being not being seen to practice what she preaches.
Why won't somebody think of the child perfectly aware sixteen year old who knows her own mind and has strong political beliefs backed up by evidence?
__________________
OECD healthcare spending
Expenditure on healthcare
http://www.oecd.org/els/health-systems/health-data.htm
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th August 2019, 06:29 AM   #172
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing
 
Vixen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Suomi
Posts: 17,649
Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
You seem to be basing your opinions on unstated assumptions about this, unless you have additional information.

My understanding is that Greta Thunberg was rightly concerned about global warming on her own account.

She started a school strike, which spread and that pushed her into the public eye.

Her parents are supporting her, but there is no need to think that they're pushing her.

Only when it was pointed out that there was something odd in her manner, was her diagnosis of ASD offered as an explanation. She is obviously happy to point out that her ASD gave her a different view of the world; she is also sixteen. She didn't need to explain, but she felt it worthwhile - you seem to be attacking her for pointing out that there are reasons for her awkwardness in being interviewed in a second language.




I personally know sixteen year-olds with well-developed political views (including my kids, and I'd say myself when I was that age - and my daughter managed to get an op-ed piece in the Telegraph when she was only one year older).

From your posts, I understand you went to a grammar school. If you cast your mind back, do you really think that none of your contemporaries at sixteen would have been able to take such decisions, or be politically involved? If that's the case, then you went to a completely different type of grammar school to me.

There is no reason to believe that Greta Thunberg "has to travel to the US by boat for fear of being not being seen to practice what she preaches." as opposed to her simply having principles and wanting to keep to them - she is sixteen and obviously deeply committed to campaigning.
I had an ex who started a school picket aged seven*, together with placards saying, 'We want to go to school', in response to there being some kind of strike by teachers. Whilst he was all for it at the time, it was actually his Mum's idea. Children are influenced by their parents.

When I was at school we were all conservatives and I even (horrors) supported Chelsea. However, then you grow up, go out in the world and form your own opinions. Greta isn't the first to be concerned about the future of the world. That's not taking anything away from her.

However. school kids going on strike is not anything new nor is campaigning against climate change.

I didn't like the way Greta's parents were manoeuvering all the publicity Greta got at the climate change conference. They probably thought it a wizard idea for her to speak up 'on behalf of children'. Good for them. I have met parents like them before and these are people who live vicariously through their children, pushing them to become models, ballet dancers (a friend of mine had such a Mum) and another friend had her Dad training her to be a runner as he was a coach (she ran for England). However, these proud parents didn't pretend their little darling did it all by themself.

The image being created of Greta as the "lonely school kid different from everybody else" leaves me sceptical.

*His photo with said placard appeared in the Sutton Coldfield local paper and his mother still has the newspaper clipping.
__________________
Do you curse where you come from, Do you swear in the night
Will it mean much to you, If I treat you right.
Do you like what you're doing, Would you do it some more
Or will you stop once and wonder
What you're doing it for. ~ Nick Drake

Last edited by Vixen; 4th August 2019 at 06:32 AM.
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th August 2019, 06:33 AM   #173
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"
 
jimbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 21,531
It's an image you mostly concocted yourself.
__________________
OECD healthcare spending
Expenditure on healthcare
http://www.oecd.org/els/health-systems/health-data.htm
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th August 2019, 06:34 AM   #174
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing
 
Vixen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Suomi
Posts: 17,649
Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
Why won't somebody think of the child perfectly aware sixteen year old who knows her own mind and has strong political beliefs backed up by evidence?
Anxiety is a key feature of autism, especially social anxiety.
__________________
Do you curse where you come from, Do you swear in the night
Will it mean much to you, If I treat you right.
Do you like what you're doing, Would you do it some more
Or will you stop once and wonder
What you're doing it for. ~ Nick Drake
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th August 2019, 06:39 AM   #175
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"
 
jimbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 21,531
Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
Anxiety is a key feature of autism, especially social anxiety.
That wasn't what I was pulling you up on.

It was your implication that it was only to avoid looking a hypocrite that she was going by surface travel, and that this was forced on her.
__________________
OECD healthcare spending
Expenditure on healthcare
http://www.oecd.org/els/health-systems/health-data.htm
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th August 2019, 06:41 AM   #176
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing
 
Vixen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Suomi
Posts: 17,649
Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
It's an image you mostly concocted yourself.
Wrong. This was how it was presented on a TV news broadcast. A serious looking 'school girl from Swedn' making her own way to Poland (iirc) a sad lonely figure with a placard begging at the door to be let in and then sitting on the floor by herself. This supposedly led to all sorts of people taking note of her.

Just a couple of months ago I learned that her parents were behind this carefully crafted image. Far from being the random school kid as portrayed by the BBC she was actually pampered and had fanatical climate-change parents.

Usual pushy parent. You meet them every day.

What appalled me was when they gave out a long list of her supposed disabilities. OCD at age twelve? Really? Selective mutism?

Well my mother was tongue-tied as a child but didn't have fancy labels stuck on her.
__________________
Do you curse where you come from, Do you swear in the night
Will it mean much to you, If I treat you right.
Do you like what you're doing, Would you do it some more
Or will you stop once and wonder
What you're doing it for. ~ Nick Drake
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th August 2019, 06:46 AM   #177
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing
 
Vixen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Suomi
Posts: 17,649
Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
That wasn't what I was pulling you up on.

It was your implication that it was only to avoid looking a hypocrite that she was going by surface travel, and that this was forced on her.
What choice has she got now everybody knows who she is? Should her parents be reinforcing her 'travel by plane' anxiety?

The DAILY MAIL carried an article on members of Extinction Rebellion and the person blocking the road stopping a man from seeing his father before he died seemed to be a rich jet-setting type who travelled the world but expressed to friends a conscience about travelling to Australia by plane.

Middle class problems of the first world.

It reminds me of a VIZ comic strip, 'Modern parents' who spent all their time worrying about doing the right thing environmentally and politically correctly. The pair were insufferable.
__________________
Do you curse where you come from, Do you swear in the night
Will it mean much to you, If I treat you right.
Do you like what you're doing, Would you do it some more
Or will you stop once and wonder
What you're doing it for. ~ Nick Drake
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th August 2019, 07:21 AM   #178
Matthew Best
Philosopher
 
Matthew Best's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Leicester Square, London
Posts: 7,167
Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
What choice has she got now everybody knows who she is? Should her parents be reinforcing her 'travel by plane' anxiety?

The DAILY MAIL carried an article on members of Extinction Rebellion and the person blocking the road stopping a man from seeing his father before he died seemed to be a rich jet-setting type who travelled the world but expressed to friends a conscience about travelling to Australia by plane.

Middle class problems of the first world.

It reminds me of a VIZ comic strip, 'Modern parents' who spent all their time worrying about doing the right thing environmentally and politically correctly. The pair were insufferable.
I think I see the problem here.
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th August 2019, 08:54 AM   #179
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 39,793
Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
I asked you because you said it. Who cares if someone else said it also.
I didn't say it, Matthew Best did. It's right there in his thread title and everything. I'm asking him if he's found an answer yet. Maybe you should ask him the same thing, instead of asking me.

And I care, because you skipped right over the original author of the question, to interrogate me about it instead of him. What's up with that? Why aren't you concerned about Matthew Best insinuating that Thunberg is deeply disturbed, but triggered when I ask him about it?

This seems like you have a personal problem with me, more than you have any problem with Matthew Best's insinuations.

Quote:
That's one of Trump's techniques, BTW. He makes a BS assertion then when asked to support it he says, "I don't know but that's what people are saying."
Tell it to Matthew Best. He's the one that Trumpistically imported this jackass right-wing echo chamber insinuation to the forum, not me.

"That's what poeple are saying"? Yes, yes it is. It's literally what Matthew Best is saying. But you're not confronting him, you're confronting me. Why?

Quote:
BTW, Greta herself answered in a Tweet cited above:
Sixteen year old posts on twitter. : rolleyes :
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th August 2019, 08:58 AM   #180
Matthew Best
Philosopher
 
Matthew Best's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Leicester Square, London
Posts: 7,167
Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
I didn't say it, Matthew Best did. It's right there in his thread title and everything. I'm asking him if he's found an answer yet.
Maybe you're asking me now, but you weren't asking me before: you were asking if there was a consensus, which is impossible for me to answer and I didn't feel like it was aimed at me.

But as you have now made it plain you are asking me, I don't think she's deeply disturbed, except in the way she mentions in her tweet.
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th August 2019, 09:48 AM   #181
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"
 
jimbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 21,531
Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
What choice has she got now everybody knows who she is? Should her parents be reinforcing her 'travel by plane' anxiety?

The DAILY MAIL carried an article on members of Extinction Rebellion and the person blocking the road stopping a man from seeing his father before he died seemed to be a rich jet-setting type who travelled the world but expressed to friends a conscience about travelling to Australia by plane.

Middle class problems of the first world.

It reminds me of a VIZ comic strip, 'Modern parents' who spent all their time worrying about doing the right thing environmentally and politically correctly. The pair were insufferable.
You have made several... um... intuitive*... leaps in this one highlighted phrase.

Firstly, I am unaware of any personal anxiety that Greta Thunberg has about flying, as opposed to her being opposed to its carbon footprint.

Secondly, I am unaware that her parents are reinforcing anything, as opposed to supporting their daughter.

Thirdly, you again seem to be implying that it would make sense for her to travel by plane, except for PR reasons. You don't seem to accept that she's of an age where she's as able to make up her own mind as many people who are legally adults. We don't need to judge her on what you think her parents are saying, we can see her own words and actions, and they are perfectly rational.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Your second paragraph is only connected to the first in that Greta Thunberg and Extinction Rebellion have the same (rational) goals and she's spoken at one of their protests. It's a hit piece in the Mail - a paper that recently apologised to a TV presenter for imagining a marriage**. I'm sure at any event there are such protesters whose personal acts sometimes undermine their more general protests. What does this have to do with anything?

Your third paragraph is obviously dismissive of something, but I'm unsure what, either the people worried about the carbon footprint of air travel, or those who can't travel by plane due to the actions of protesters - I can't determine. Either way, if you accept that global warming is a problem, it isn't a first world problem, except that the first world is disproportionately contributing to it and has the wealth to do more about it than less developed countries. If you are talking about the inability to fly, then that has a huge impact on many industries and jobs, so is often literally a "first world problem" but not a trivial one.

Your fourth paragraph reminds me of a Viz character too: Roger Irrelevant.

You do realise that Viz is a comic that aims to be mildly offensive for its humour?


*I'm being kind here


**
Quote:
Last week we said the TV presenter Adrian Chiles had a short-lived marriage to a Maria Walsh. Mr Chiles says he does not know anyone of that name and false reports of a marriage started from a mischievous Wikipedia posting. We apologise for the error.
So can't be bothered to fact check beyond wikipedia.


__________________
OECD healthcare spending
Expenditure on healthcare
http://www.oecd.org/els/health-systems/health-data.htm
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th August 2019, 11:01 AM   #182
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 77,114
Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
Nobody said it was shameful. What is concerning IMV is that her parents advertise this fact as though it explains Greta's passion for climate change activism.

Her conditions are her private affair and she doesn't need to explain her proclivities with reference to her medical diagnoses. There is a lot of disagreement amongst specialists anyway. Half the people you meet with 'Aspergers' have diagnosed themself when actually it takes a thorough neurological examination to reach that conclusion.

It is her parents who see her condition as shameful in their need to 'explain' to the public and the media Greta's presence, which is charming and doesn't need to be justified.


This is just more excuses to dismiss and not address the facts.
__________________
That new avatar is cuteness overload.
Restore checks and balances no matter your party affiliation.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th August 2019, 11:12 AM   #183
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 39,793
Originally Posted by Matthew Best View Post
Maybe you're asking me now, but you weren't asking me before: you were asking if there was a consensus, which is impossible for me to answer and I didn't feel like it was aimed at me.
You could contribute to the consensus by contributing your own answer to the question.

Quote:
But as you have now made it plain you are asking me, I don't think she's deeply disturbed, except in the way she mentions in her tweet.
Right, her tweet. The classic, "I concede your point, if by 'your point' you mean 'something totally other than your point'" rebuttal.

Anyway, do you have even a drop of evidence that she's deeply disturbed that isn't from an unsupported assertion in the right wing echo chamber?
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th August 2019, 11:13 AM   #184
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 77,114
Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
I had an ex who started a school picket aged seven*, together with placards saying, 'We want to go to school', in response to there being some kind of strike by teachers. Whilst he was all for it at the time, it was actually his Mum's idea. Children are influenced by their parents.

When I was at school we were all conservatives and I even (horrors) supported Chelsea. However, then you grow up, go out in the world and form your own opinions. Greta isn't the first to be concerned about the future of the world. That's not taking anything away from her.

However. school kids going on strike is not anything new nor is campaigning against climate change.

I didn't like the way Greta's parents were manoeuvering all the publicity Greta got at the climate change conference. They probably thought it a wizard idea for her to speak up 'on behalf of children'. Good for them. I have met parents like them before and these are people who live vicariously through their children, pushing them to become models, ballet dancers (a friend of mine had such a Mum) and another friend had her Dad training her to be a runner as he was a coach (she ran for England). However, these proud parents didn't pretend their little darling did it all by themself.

The image being created of Greta as the "lonely school kid different from everybody else" leaves me sceptical.

*His photo with said placard appeared in the Sutton Coldfield local paper and his mother still has the newspaper clipping.
So many assumptions based on a couple personal anecdotes.

I have the same politics I had at 14. What about my anecdote?

It's absurd all the assumptions you are making about her parents.
__________________
That new avatar is cuteness overload.
Restore checks and balances no matter your party affiliation.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th August 2019, 11:29 AM   #185
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing
 
uke2se's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 13,434
Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
Autism is real and there is nothing cute or fashionable about it.

Greta is likely a deeply anxious person and now she has wants to travel to the US by boat for fear of being not being seen to practice what she preaches.
Fixed that for you. Why are you so eager to deny Greta Thunberg any agency?
__________________
Before you say something stupid about climate change, check this list.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th August 2019, 12:40 PM   #186
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 18,468
We can't listen to kids, we have to listen to adults. Like the el Paso rampage shooter. He was a 21, so he is a trusted adult, unlike this ignorant kid.

Oh wait - are you saying that we have to judge them on what they say? But that only applies if they are "adults"
__________________
"As your friend, I have to be honest with you: I don't care about you or your problems" - Chloe, Secret Life of Pets
pgwenthold is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th August 2019, 12:47 PM   #187
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 39,793
Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
We can't listen to kids, we have to listen to adults. Like the el Paso rampage shooter. He was a 21, so he is a trusted adult, unlike this ignorant kid.

Oh wait - are you saying that we have to judge them on what they say? But that only applies if they are "adults"
With certain obvious and important caveats, the second thing sounds about right to me.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th August 2019, 04:26 PM   #188
Matthew Best
Philosopher
 
Matthew Best's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Leicester Square, London
Posts: 7,167
Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
You could contribute to the consensus by contributing your own answer to the question.
Which bit of "I don't think she's deeply disturbed" was not clear?

Quote:
Right, her tweet. The classic, "I concede your point, if by 'your point' you mean 'something totally other than your point'" rebuttal.

Anyway, do you have even a drop of evidence that she's deeply disturbed that isn't from an unsupported assertion in the right wing echo chamber?
I'll say it again: I don't think she's deeply disturbed, and I certainly haven't seen any evidence of that. I actually think she rocks.

I also haven't seen any evidence that she has unpleasantly pushy parents.
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th August 2019, 05:49 PM   #189
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing
 
Brainster's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 17,183
There was a terrific episode of St. Elsewhere that had something of a similar plot; this kid had barricaded himself somewhere inside the hospital and his gig was that he was terrified of nuclear winter. Now of course it was not hard for the doctors to figure out that the parents were complete anti-nuke kooks who had succeeded in terrifying their son into imagining the apocalypse was nigh.

As a global warming semi-skeptic who still feels that green is better (and nuclear is better still), I wince when I see tone-deaf stuff like this being using to promote a pretty reasonable effort. Let's listen to this child because.... what? All the adults who are working against global warming who actually have college degrees and masters and doctorates aren't enough?

Yeah, I know, the fact that she's a kid means that everybody melts a bit and so it's earned media. But if you want to impress adults with the seriousness of your argument, how do you think that putting a child out there really helps?
__________________
My new blog: Recent Reads.
1960s Comic Book Nostalgia
Visit the Screw Loose Change blog.

Last edited by Brainster; 4th August 2019 at 06:30 PM.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th August 2019, 06:22 PM   #190
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing
 
Vixen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Suomi
Posts: 17,649
Originally Posted by Matthew Best View Post
Which bit of "I don't think she's deeply disturbed" was not clear?



I'll say it again: I don't think she's deeply disturbed, and I certainly haven't seen any evidence of that. I actually think she rocks.

I also haven't seen any evidence that she has unpleasantly pushy parents.
No, because they are careful to stay 'invisible' to exemplify the image of their darling sprog as 'the lone crusader'.
__________________
Do you curse where you come from, Do you swear in the night
Will it mean much to you, If I treat you right.
Do you like what you're doing, Would you do it some more
Or will you stop once and wonder
What you're doing it for. ~ Nick Drake

Last edited by Vixen; 4th August 2019 at 06:23 PM.
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th August 2019, 06:30 PM   #191
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning
 
a_unique_person's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Waiting for the pod bay door to open.
Posts: 41,363
Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
No, because they are careful to stay 'invisible' to exemplify the image of their darling sprog as 'the lone crusader'.

If she is Autism spectrum this can mean she is able to focus on something and stick to it. That may well be all she is doing. The parents may have to do nothing.
__________________
Continually pushing the boundaries of mediocrity.
Everything is possible, but not everything is probable.
“Perception is real, but the truth is not.” - Imelda Marcos
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th August 2019, 06:39 PM   #192
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Gulf Coast
Posts: 24,511
Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
Let's listen to this child because.... what? All the adults who are working against global warming who actually have college degrees and masters and doctorates aren't enough?
Her message isn't for you. It's for people her own age - as I said before, teens who have just reached or are about to reach voting age.

She's not bringing any new information to the table. She's not claiming or pretending to be. She's just bringing a new audience to the information - and the polls. You aren't part of that audience. That's fine. You don't have to concern yourself with anything she says or does in the slightest.
__________________
"¿WHAT KIND OF BIRD?
¿A PARANORMAL BIRD?"
--- Carlos S., 2002
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th August 2019, 07:12 PM   #193
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator
 
Foolmewunz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Pattaya, Thailand
Posts: 41,468
Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
No, because they are careful to stay 'invisible' to exemplify the image of their darling sprog as 'the lone crusader'.
Ah, yes, some of the exemplary logic that let you crack the Amanda Knox case. The absence of evidence is of course,.... evidence? The proof of their involvement is that there's no evidence of their involvement. Gotcha!
__________________
Ha! Foolmewunz has just been added to the list of people who aren't complete idiots. Hokulele

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th August 2019, 11:18 PM   #194
carlosy
Thinker
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 180
Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
As a global warming semi-skeptic who still feels that green is better (and nuclear is better still), I wince when I see tone-deaf stuff like this being using to promote a pretty reasonable effort.
Acutally, she is pro nuclear too. At least to overcome the AGW problem.
carlosy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th August 2019, 11:20 PM   #195
ThatGuy11200
Thinker
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: London
Posts: 194
Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
There was a terrific episode of St. Elsewhere that had something of a similar plot; this kid had barricaded himself somewhere inside the hospital and his gig was that he was terrified of nuclear winter. Now of course it was not hard for the doctors to figure out that the parents were complete anti-nuke kooks who had succeeded in terrifying their son into imagining the apocalypse was nigh.
And because it happened in fiction it must also be true in real life. Right?

Quote:
As a global warming semi-skeptic who still feels that green is better (and nuclear is better still), I wince when I see tone-deaf stuff like this being using to promote a pretty reasonable effort. Let's listen to this child because.... what? All the adults who are working against global warming who actually have college degrees and masters and doctorates aren't enough?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-480...ate-scientists

Climate change activist Greta Thunberg: 'Listen to climate scientists'

Teenage climate change activist Greta Thunberg has said that climate change is an "existential crisis" and has urged politicians to "listen to the scientists".


Quote:
Yeah, I know, the fact that she's a kid means that everybody melts a bit and so it's earned media. But if you want to impress adults with the seriousness of your argument, how do you think that putting a child out there really helps?
Children can help to convince their parents.

https://www.newscientist.com/article...box=1558688534

A study in North Carolina has shown that giving children hands-on lessons on climate change and getting them to talk to their parents about it can convince parents who were previously unconcerned that global warming really is a threat. Most strikingly, the biggest effect was on parents who described themselves as conservative. They flipped from being unconcerned on average to being quite concerned.

“Engaging kids like this not only gives them the knowledge to prepare themselves to deal with climate change in the future, it empowers them to make a difference now,” says Danielle Lawson of North Carolina State University, whose team carried out the two-year study. “It supports the efforts we see across the globe, that kids are taking.”


...

“Earlier studies have shown that environmental education can have a positive effect on parents,” says John Cook of the Center for Climate Change Communication at George Mason University, who was not involved in the study. “The new quirk in this research is showing that the effect is strongest among conservative, sceptical parents.”
ThatGuy11200 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th August 2019, 03:19 AM   #196
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing
 
Vixen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Suomi
Posts: 17,649
Originally Posted by Matthew Best View Post
Citation needed.
https://www.aspergerstestsite.com/aq-test/

To take the Asperger’s test please answer the statements below and determine how strongly you agree or disagree with the statements. At the end of the test you will be given a score to indicate where you score on the spectrum.
__________________
Do you curse where you come from, Do you swear in the night
Will it mean much to you, If I treat you right.
Do you like what you're doing, Would you do it some more
Or will you stop once and wonder
What you're doing it for. ~ Nick Drake
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th August 2019, 03:21 AM   #197
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing
 
Vixen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Suomi
Posts: 17,649
Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
Ah, yes, some of the exemplary logic that let you crack the Amanda Knox case. The absence of evidence is of course,.... evidence? The proof of their involvement is that there's no evidence of their involvement. Gotcha!
The merits courts - who hear ALL of the evidence - cross-examined - in front of a panel of jurors and judges - all agree with me.

My logic is sound. Not based on jingoism or clever PR.
__________________
Do you curse where you come from, Do you swear in the night
Will it mean much to you, If I treat you right.
Do you like what you're doing, Would you do it some more
Or will you stop once and wonder
What you're doing it for. ~ Nick Drake
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th August 2019, 04:44 AM   #198
EHocking
Philosopher
 
EHocking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 7,127
Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Children should be seen and not heard.
That’s certainly what the Taliban thought of Malala Yousafzai.

(is this the new Godwin?)
__________________
"A closed mouth gathers no feet"
"Ignorance is a renewable resource" P.J.O'Rourke
"It's all god's handiwork, there's little quality control applied", Fox26 reporter on Texas granite
You can't make up anything anymore. The world itself is a satire. All you're doing is recording it. Art Buchwald
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th August 2019, 06:59 AM   #199
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles
 
TragicMonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Monkey
Posts: 52,657
Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
https://www.aspergerstestsite.com/aq-test/

To take the Asperger’s test please answer the statements below and determine how strongly you agree or disagree with the statements. At the end of the test you will be given a score to indicate where you score on the spectrum.
It said I was a Hufflepuff.
__________________
You added nothing to that conversation, Barbara.
TragicMonkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th August 2019, 07:47 AM   #200
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"
 
jimbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 21,531
Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
Quote:
Citation needed.
https://www.aspergerstestsite.com/aq-test/

To take the Asperger’s test please answer the statements below and determine how strongly you agree or disagree with the statements. At the end of the test you will be given a score to indicate where you score on the spectrum.
Er how does that answer this Matthew's request for a citation.

Originally Posted by Matthew Best View Post
Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
Half the people you meet with 'Aspergers' have diagnosed themself
Citation needed.
Nobody is doubting that there are online ASD questionnaires, it was (1) the assertion that half the diagnoses of ASD are self-diagnosed, and what wasn't mentioned, the implication that Greta Thunberg was self-diagnosed.
__________________
OECD healthcare spending
Expenditure on healthcare
http://www.oecd.org/els/health-systems/health-data.htm
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:07 PM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.