ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags boycott incidents , Chick-fil-A , UK incidents

Old 20th October 2019, 04:06 AM   #41
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Archie Gemmill Goal View Post
One of the worst takes ever on this site. You aren't perfect so therefore you shouldn't even try to do anything is just a ridiculous standpoint.

Plus if a company is so prominent with their horrendous views that the media take notice and you still patronise them that is a whole different level of wrong to simply not being aware of wrongdoings.

That's the whole bloody point of the media. To raise awareness of these things so people can make informed choices.

Mind you in this case I don't know what publicity was carried out locally, but I was completely unaware there even was a Chick-Fil-A in the UK so its possible that the failure was unconnected to the boycott but simply because people didn't know who the hell they are and/or didn't like their food.
This.

I'm fairly local, I didn't know it was there but if I'd happened to be in The Oracle and planning to eat I wouldn't have gone there, not because of their donations but because I remember their previous very public stance on medical cover for female employees relating to birth control. The company made it's religion and politics a public matter, they can expect people to take that into account.

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th October 2019, 04:11 AM   #42
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer View Post
This.

I'm fairly local, I didn't know it was there but if I'd happened to be in The Oracle and planning to eat I wouldn't have gone there, not because of their donations but because I remember their previous very public stance on medical cover for female employees relating to birth control. The company made it's religion and politics a public matter, they can expect people to take that into account.
It was in the local press when it opened, even showed up in my google news, but I think it was kept quite low key because it was a test run.
Old 20th October 2019, 07:46 AM   #43
Information Analyst
Penultimate Amazing

Cool

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
The Salvation Army is now evil?

Sorry. Will keep donating to them while they keep rocking up to our junior rugby games for free.

Have no idea about the 2 other groups, but presume the anti gay thing is just as tenuous
It's the SA in the US that's openly anti-LGBT rights, which is the one CFA donates to.
Information Analyst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th October 2019, 08:30 AM   #44
dann
Philosopher

The Salvation Army’s History of Anti-LGBT Discrimination (HuffPost, Feb. 2, 2016)
The Salvation Army's FAQ about LGBTQ (SA, Indiana; they include, i.e. distance themselves, from a case in Australia, 2012)
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx

Last edited by dann; 20th October 2019 at 09:43 AM.
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th October 2019, 09:27 AM   #45
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

People today get outraged over the drop of a hat. There was a time when things such as the My Lai Massacre didn't bother most people. Today half the world gets outraged over a chicken sandwich. People today are incapable of prioritizing troubles.
"...just as a magnet attracts iron filings, Trump shemp attracts, and is attracted to, louts." - George Will

Last edited by shemp; 20th October 2019 at 09:28 AM.
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th October 2019, 09:48 AM   #46
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Deputy Admin

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
It was in the local press when it opened, even showed up in my google news, but I think it was kept quite low key because it was a test run.
I heard about it because one of the burlesque dancers in my Facebook feed mentioned it because she’s from America and was looking forward to getting one of her favourite meals again.
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th October 2019, 10:38 AM   #47
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Archie Gemmill Goal View Post
One of the worst takes ever on this site. You aren't perfect so therefore you shouldn't even try to do anything is just a ridiculous standpoint.
My standpoint is that most modern activism is subject to Sturgeon's Law. It's cargo-cult activism: "Protests have worked in the past; this is a protest; this must be working!"

Rephrasing your analysis: "You aren't perfect, so maybe you should take a moment to assess what you actually want to achieve, and if this is the way to achieve it."
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th October 2019, 11:44 AM   #48
TomB
Muse

Originally Posted by Information Analyst View Post
It's the SA in the US that's openly anti-LGBT rights, which is the one CFA donates to.
My wife used to be a case manager at a Salvation Army men's shelter about 10 years ago.

Sexuality was never an issue with who could be admitted or receive services. As far as she can recall, sexuality/LGBT issues were never brought up. Many of the residents where openly gay. Some of which, the Salvation Army hired in various capacities around the shelter and store. An openly gay and HIV positive gentleman worked as cook for the shelter until shortly before he passed away.

Religion was never pushed on the residents, though they were invited to church on Sundays if they wished to go.

One thing people don't always realize is that SA is a church. We never attended (and were never pushed to attend), but one of the lieutenants explained that it was a church founded on the Wesleyan tradition. I had no idea of this until my wife started working there. Their hiring practices differ between the clergy side of things and the lay side.

Those who are on the ministerial side must meet the religious requirements. Officers are ordained ministers. They are basically the equivalent of ministers, bishops, etc. in other churches. Non-officers (sergeant Majors, for example), are non-ordained lay religious staff. Kind of like a deacon.

My wife didn't see any any anti-LGBT policies or actions here. But the SA is rather large and the environment and attitudes may be different at other chapters.
TomB is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th October 2019, 12:16 PM   #49
sphenisc
Illuminator

Originally Posted by TomB View Post
My wife used to be a case manager at a Salvation Army men's shelter about 10 years ago.
Which country?
Old 20th October 2019, 08:17 PM   #50
TomB
Muse

Originally Posted by sphenisc View Post
Which country?
United States. Illinois
TomB is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th October 2019, 08:25 PM   #51
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

I love their food but the location's just not convenient enough for me.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th October 2019, 09:10 PM   #52
Reactor drone
Graduate Poster

The name has always reminded me of polyfilla which doesn't really make me want to eat it.
Reactor drone is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st October 2019, 06:00 PM   #53
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

KFC is better anyway.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st October 2019, 06:52 PM   #54
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
KFC is better anyway.
Has Chick-Fil-A figured out how to cut a chicken so there's back in every piece, including the legs? Asking for a friend.
Old 21st October 2019, 07:09 PM   #55
Mumbles
Philosopher

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
Actually I wouldn't go there looking at it

They do this

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/i...0-bnvOI047H4hA

Where KFC do this

https://www.kfc.co.nz/getattachment/...d-chicken.png/
Suffice it to say that there's a reason Popeye's chicken sandwiches had people acting like extras on the Boondocks - Them and Church's are (or were, back before I went vegetarian) the best two fried chicken places, with KFC being decent, and Chik-Fil-A being mostly good for their waffle fries.
Mumbles is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st October 2019, 11:19 PM   #56
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Has Chick-Fil-A figured out how to cut a chicken so there's back in every piece, including the legs? Asking for a friend.
What is "back"?
Old 21st October 2019, 11:31 PM   #57
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Deputy Admin

What is "back"?
I was wondering that. I could only assume it means 'breast', due to either prudishness or lack of knowledge of basic anatomy on the part of whoever coined the term.
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd October 2019, 12:15 AM   #58
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

What is "back"?
Originally Posted by zooterkin View Post
I was wondering that. I could only assume it means 'breast', due to either prudishness or lack of knowledge of basic anatomy on the part of whoever coined the term.
No, it's the chicken's back which has hardly any meat and a lot of bones. If anything it's both the culinary and anatomical opposite of the breast.

AFAIK there's no prudishness about using breast w.r.t. chicken parts. For example, this is the description of the CFA grilled nuggets.

Quote:
Bite-sized pieces of boneless breast of chicken, marinated with a special blend of seasonings and grilled for a tender and juicy backyard-grilled taste.
https://www.chick-fil-a.com/Menu-Items/Grilled-Nuggets
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd October 2019, 06:43 AM   #59
SuburbanTurkey
Master Poster

The Chick-fil-a example is pretty funny. I'm sure when they started business, aligning themselves as some sort of Christian family friendly establishment wasn't really a controversial political stance. Their throw-back style and nods to Christianity (closed Sundays) were probably seen as cheap PR to ingratiate themselves to the general public.

Unfortunately for them, times have changed, and evangelical Christianity doesn't enjoy the same broad general tolerance that it used to, largely due to it's role as being a bastion against LGBT civil rights.

My reading is that Chick-fil-a is stuck between a rock and a hard place. They don't want to repudiate their evangelical, and largely anti-LGBT base, but they also don't want to be so tightly tied to the losing culture war over the issues of gay rights.

Not sure what the future holds. As LGBT rights increasingly become a settled matter of law and culture, will the evangelicals become more or less virulent over the issue?

As a matter of business, I imagine Chick-fil-a will slowly modify their "christian values" theme into a more benign version that is increasingly silent about hot-button cultural issues. They'll probably keep the things that make them seem quaint, as a matter of branding, like being closed Sundays and the "my pleasure" response, but drop the toxic assets.

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 22nd October 2019 at 06:47 AM.
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd October 2019, 08:43 AM   #60
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

What is "back"?
Originally Posted by zooterkin View Post
Originally Posted by The Don View Post
No, it's the chicken's back which has hardly any meat and a lot of bones. If anything it's both the culinary and anatomical opposite of the breast.
Correct. Basically spine and ribs with little to no flesh. KFC has developed the ability to include some of it in virtually every piece to a fine art.
Old 22nd October 2019, 08:49 AM   #61
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Correct. Basically spine and ribs with little to no flesh. KFC has developed the ability to include some of it in virtually every piece to a fine art.
Have you ever attempted to reconstruct the original chicken from KFC pieces? It can't be done. Not because parts are missing but because there are extra parts, bones that make no sense in chicken anatomy. Whatever animals KFC comes from it's not chicken.
Old 22nd October 2019, 08:53 AM   #62
Giz
Philosopher

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
KFC is better anyway.
This may be the most wrong statement ever made on the JREF/ISF.

(Purely judged in terms of food quality, ignoring politics)

Chik-fil-et > Zaxby's > every other fast food chicken
Giz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd October 2019, 09:36 AM   #63
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Deputy Admin

Thanks; I've never ever heard of it as a part of a chicken that's served. And I've never had a piece of it from KFC because I always choose boneless options.
Old 22nd October 2019, 10:07 AM   #64
Matthew Best
Philosopher

What's the point of putting something on my plate that I'm not supposed to eat?
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd October 2019, 10:11 AM   #65
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Matthew Best View Post
Spoken like someone who's eaten a goodly amount of garnish in their time!
Old 22nd October 2019, 10:51 AM   #66
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Matthew Best View Post
Profit. KFC has to pay for the whole chicken so they're darn well going to serve it to you. They'd include the feathers and feet if they thought they could get away with it.
Old 22nd October 2019, 10:54 AM   #67
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Profit. KFC has to pay for the whole chicken so they're darn well going to serve it to you. They'd include the feathers and feet if they thought they could get away with it.
What do you mean, if they could get away with it? They sell them as "premium sides" if you upgrade your combo meal.
Old 22nd October 2019, 10:59 AM   #68
DuvalHMFIC
Graduate Poster

I'm not much for fast food these days, but when I used to frequent those areas more, Chick-Fil-A always had the best service. It wasn't even close.
Old 23rd October 2019, 11:51 PM   #69
EHocking
Philosopher

AFAIK there's no prudishness about using breast w.r.t. chicken parts. For example, this is the description of the CFA grilled nuggets.

https://www.chick-fil-a.com/Menu-Items/Grilled-Nuggets
Australia supermarkets don't seem to be prudish either.
You can't make up anything anymore. The world itself is a satire. All you're doing is recording it. Art Buchwald
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2019, 12:01 AM   #70
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

It also has the most tender, tastiest morsel of chicken on the whole bird.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oyster_(fowl)

Not sure if that is what they mean by KFC working out a way of back. Maybe they use it for their "nuggets", which I detest, as they are not actual just bits of chicken, but blended ****.

Don't know of other countries joining bits together mentioned earlier, but ours certainly don't
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000

Last edited by cullennz; 24th October 2019 at 12:05 AM.
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2019, 12:24 AM   #71
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Chick-Fil-A is a shining example of people mindlessly agreeing that a merely-okay food item is the best you can possibly get if enough of their friends say it.

CFA's decision to top their chicken sandwich with nothing but pickle isn't all that bad; but the chicken itself is forgettable. What is even the point of having a fried chicken sandwich is the end-goal is a filet with zero crisp? CFA serves its sandwiches in this ridiculous foil-lined pouch, which as food packaging goes is effectively as responsible as styrofoam; but the foil traps all of the steam, "to keep the chicken hot" (ostensibly because it tastes even worse cold) at the expense of leaving the chicken breading completely soggy, and the bun a chewy, doughy mess on top of it all.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2019, 12:36 AM   #72
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
Chick-Fil-A is a shining example of people mindlessly agreeing that a merely-okay food item is the best you can possibly get if enough of their friends say it.

CFA's decision to top their chicken sandwich with nothing but pickle isn't all that bad; but the chicken itself is forgettable. What is even the point of having a fried chicken sandwich is the end-goal is a filet with zero crisp? CFA serves its sandwiches in this ridiculous foil-lined pouch, which as food packaging goes is effectively as responsible as styrofoam; but the foil traps all of the steam, "to keep the chicken hot" (ostensibly because it tastes even worse cold) at the expense of leaving the chicken breading completely soggy, and the bun a chewy, doughy mess on top of it all.
Eew

Fried Chickens most mortal enemy.
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2019, 08:35 AM   #73
3point14
Pi

Damn, thought that Sir Geoffrey was involved

I had visions of him outside chickafil chasing people off with a stick of rhubarb

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2019, 08:44 AM   #74
Joe Random
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post

<...>
This concept came up recently at work. Someone had brought in Krispy Kreme doughnuts and everyone went mad for them, as they always do whenever those get brought in. I don't see what the wow factor is for these. They're not bad, especially when fresh, but they're not really any better than other local or chain offerings. And it's never some decent sort of variety doughnut like an apple fritter, maple bar, or jelly filled that people bring in. Just the plain old boring round lump of fried dough with a hole in the center. Yet people have somehow convinced themselves that they're better than sex, and are willing to go Thunderdome on each other to get one.
Joe Random is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2019, 08:55 AM   #75
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

I first encountered Krispy Kreme donuts in South Carolina, during basic training for the Army. Probably a gross of assorted dozens were supplied for breakfast every day. (Whether you were actually allowed to eat a donut at breakfast varied from training company to training company.)

Those donuts seemed amazing, fully living up to the hype. To this day, I can't tell you if it was because all calories seem amazing when you're in basic training, or some other reason. I didn't see Krispy Kreme again for several years, on the west coast. These donuts weren't anything like I remembered. They were smaller, blander, crappier in every respect. I don't know if misremembered the quality of the earlier donuts, of if the recipes changed, or what.

But my experience is that Krispy Kreme was great once, and is crap now.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2019, 09:37 AM   #76
Joe Random
Master Poster

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
I first encountered Krispy Kreme donuts in South Carolina, during basic training for the Army. Probably a gross of assorted dozens were supplied for breakfast every day. (Whether you were actually allowed to eat a donut at breakfast varied from training company to training company.)

Those donuts seemed amazing, fully living up to the hype. To this day, I can't tell you if it was because all calories seem amazing when you're in basic training, or some other reason. I didn't see Krispy Kreme again for several years, on the west coast. These donuts weren't anything like I remembered. They were smaller, blander, crappier in every respect. I don't know if misremembered the quality of the earlier donuts, of if the recipes changed, or what.

But my experience is that Krispy Kreme was great once, and is crap now.
The Western Seas have passed away:
The world was fair in Durin's Day ...

When the first Trader Joe's opened up out here there was a huge amount of anticipation, and the parking lot was constantly jammed for the first few weeks. That hype made sense to me, as they sold rather a lot of things you simply couldn't get elsewhere, as well as other bits at a nicer price point. As an ex-pat from Southern California who lived a good portion of his life within walking distance of a TJs it was great to be able to shop there again, and I made the case to several people that the hype surrounding the place was warranted. To this day it still doesn't disappoint (at least me).

There was a similar amount of frenzy when the first Krispy Kreme opened up. I'd never eaten one before, and eventually had to satisfy my curiosity. It ... well, it was a doughnut. Whatever. But everyone else acted - and still act - like they were eating food right from a god's pantry. Even if they had been predisposed to think it was going to be great based on past experience like yours, I'm baffled at how they now consider what they're getting today to be so great.

There's at least one CFA out here, and people go on and on about that as well. Based on their taste in doughnuts I don't feel any irresistible urges to dive into the CFA world any time soon.
Joe Random is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2019, 10:13 AM   #77
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

When it comes to donuts anymore, I don't want fancy gourmet confections. I don't want lolrandom toppings.

If your claim is that you have the best donuts, then all I want is a plain donut. You can impress me by showing off your absolute mastery of the basics. Is your cake donut the proper combination of fluffy and crunchy? Is your doughnut properly fried? Does the batter have just the right consistency when cooked? Etc.

Burying a mediocre donut under a glacier of icing and an avalanche of breakfast cereal doesn't make it gourmet. For my money, gourmet is doing the simple things well. If you can make a really great plain old-fashioned, you don't need anything else. That **** will sell itself.
Old 24th October 2019, 12:35 PM   #78
luchog
Neo-Post-Retro-Revivalist

Originally Posted by Joe Random View Post
This concept came up recently at work. Someone had brought in Krispy Kreme doughnuts and everyone went mad for them, as they always do whenever those get brought in. I don't see what the wow factor is for these. They're not bad, especially when fresh, but they're not really any better than other local or chain offerings.

It's probably a sort of drug-seeking reaction caused by the sugar rush; given that Krispy Kreme donuts are roughly 80% fried sugar.

Personally, if I am going for donuts, I prefer the local Top Pot chain; although they've gone downhill the last couple years as well (switched from a purely safflower oil to a soy-blend, the difference is quite noticeable).
When you say that fascists should only be defeated through debate, what you're really saying is that the marginalized and vulnerable should have to endlessly argue for their right to exist; and at no point should they ever be fully accepted, and the debate considered won.
luchog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2019, 02:42 PM   #79
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

I had Krispy Kreme for the first time when I was on an extended business trip in Houston and raved about them until they finally came to the UK several years later. Still love em. But in fairness the opportunities for really fresh donuts with a light batter in the UK are a bit limited.

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2019, 05:17 PM   #80
Carlotta
Critical Thinker

Smile

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
When it comes to donuts anymore, I don't want fancy gourmet confections. I don't want lolrandom toppings.

If your claim is that you have the best donuts, then all I want is a plain donut. You can impress me by showing off your absolute mastery of the basics. Is your cake donut the proper combination of fluffy and crunchy? Is your doughnut properly fried? Does the batter have just the right consistency when cooked? Etc.

Burying a mediocre donut under a glacier of icing and an avalanche of breakfast cereal doesn't make it gourmet. For my money, gourmet is doing the simple things well. If you can make a really great plain old-fashioned, you don't need anything else. That **** will sell itself.
I agree about the lolrandom toppings!

However, were the Krispy Kremes hot out of the oven? That's when they are still fluffy. They don't travel well, but in the right condition, their glazed is one of nature's most perfect foods!!!!
Carlotta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events