ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags boycott incidents , Chick-fil-A , UK incidents

Old 24th October 2019, 07:51 PM   #81
luchog
Neo-Post-Retro-Revivalist

Originally Posted by Carlotta View Post
I agree about the lolrandom toppings!

Yeah, I never understood the point of that myself. My favorite donuts are usually the plainest, a good classic old fashioned in particular. I do have a fondness for some of the simple, classic toppings; like a good old feather boa. The weirdest I get is a glazed maple bar with crumbled bacon on top. Not something I'd want every time, but pretty awesome when I'm in the mood for it.
When you say that fascists should only be defeated through debate, what you're really saying is that the marginalized and vulnerable should have to endlessly argue for their right to exist; and at no point should they ever be fully accepted, and the debate considered won.
luchog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2019, 08:43 PM   #82
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Never had CFA, never will. As for KK, their standard donuts have no flavor and their flavored donuts aren't very good. So overrated that I'm truly surprised they're still in business. I literally turn their standard donuts down when offered because they just aren't worth it. It would make more sense to measure out how much sugar is in there and eat that sugar raw.
Babbylonian is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th October 2019, 05:26 AM   #83
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

The problem with KK doughnuts isn't the amount of sugar, it's the bake. The exterior is too hard and the interior doesn't match. It's inconsistent, uneven. They'd fail a technical challenge on Bakeoff for sure. Paul Hollywood would glare so hard.
Old 25th October 2019, 05:42 AM   #84
3point14
Pi

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
The problem with KK doughnuts isn't the amount of sugar, it's the bake. The exterior is too hard and the interior doesn't match. It's inconsistent, uneven. They'd fail a technical challenge on Bakeoff for sure. Paul Hollywood would glare so hard.
In massively over-saturated colour

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th October 2019, 05:47 AM   #85
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by 3point14 View Post
In massively over-saturated colour
I always assumed he'd sampled the spice from Dune at some point. Probably while telling a Bene Gesserit her Arakis sponge was stodgy.
Old 25th October 2019, 09:11 AM   #86
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

I always assumed he'd sampled the spice from Dune at some point. Probably while telling a Bene Gesserit her Arakis sponge was stodgy.
You have to fold it in gently or else it just collapses. Too bad, really, because the flavor combinations were quite interesting.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th October 2019, 09:49 AM   #87
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Deputy Admin

I was in The Oracle today, and didn’t actually notice the chicken place, so I’m not sure exactly where it’s tucked away. I did only visit Jessops, and then go through to John Lewis, so it may well be down the other end.
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th October 2019, 11:23 AM   #88
Information Analyst
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by zooterkin View Post
I was wondering that. I could only assume it means 'breast', due to either prudishness or lack of knowledge of basic anatomy on the part of whoever coined the term.
Careful. Questioning whether a term means something different in the States led to an alarming level of outrage in another thread recently.
Information Analyst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th October 2019, 12:02 PM   #89
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Deputy Admin

Originally Posted by Information Analyst View Post
Careful. Questioning whether a term means something different in the States led to an alarming level of outrage in another thread recently.
Well, it’s not something I want to die in a ditch over.
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th October 2019, 12:35 PM   #90
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

I'm not saying there's too much sugar, just that it's the only flavor. But, yeah, there are textural issues for me as well.
Babbylonian is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th October 2019, 12:53 PM   #91
Joe Random
Master Poster

Oddly enough calorieking.com indicates that, on the whole, KK's offerings have fewer calories than their equivalent from Winchell's . E.g. 190 for KK's original glazed vs 410 for what looks to be Winchell's. Don't know if they're equivalent in size, so this might be comparing one slice of a Domino's large pizza to one of those Costco 'roughly the same size and shape as an Imperial Star Destroyer' slices.

And as I finished up the above I noticed calorie king is listing weights. The KK one is lighter, but still has fewer calories per oz than Winchell's. So they're the healthier alternative! (for varying values of 'healthier').
Joe Random is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th October 2019, 02:04 PM   #92
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by Joe Random View Post
Oddly enough calorieking.com indicates that, on the whole, KK's offerings have fewer calories than their equivalent from Winchell's . E.g. 190 for KK's original glazed vs 410 for what looks to be Winchell's. Don't know if they're equivalent in size, so this might be comparing one slice of a Domino's large pizza to one of those Costco 'roughly the same size and shape as an Imperial Star Destroyer' slices.

And as I finished up the above I noticed calorie king is listing weights. The KK one is lighter, but still has fewer calories per oz than Winchell's. So they're the healthier alternative! (for varying values of 'healthier').
I think I am becoming a rare breed these days, as I only have takeaways once a week, if that, so couldn't a rats **** how many it has.

So find the whole some people fixation with calories quite odd. (not accusing you of this, just an off topic thing)

If they are that worried about how much calories things have, cook your own food.
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th October 2019, 02:46 PM   #93
Information Analyst
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by zooterkin View Post
Well, it’s not something I want to die in a ditch over.
Information Analyst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th October 2019, 03:10 PM   #94
luchog

Originally Posted by Babbylonian View Post
I'm not saying there's too much sugar, just that it's the only flavor. But, yeah, there are textural issues for me as well.

That's pretty much the problem in a nutshell. KK donuts might as well just be spun sugar, there isn't much else to them.

That's because they're mostly air. Sugar and air and just enough other stuff to hold the sugar together in the air.
When you say that fascists should only be defeated through debate, what you're really saying is that the marginalized and vulnerable should have to endlessly argue for their right to exist; and at no point should they ever be fully accepted, and the debate considered won.
luchog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th October 2019, 03:20 PM   #95
Cainkane1
Philosopher

Chik-fil-A tastes very good. Krispy Kreme donuts are great with coffee. I like the creme-filled chocolate donuts with fresh whole milk myself.
Old 25th October 2019, 05:01 PM   #96
Joe Random
Master Poster

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
I think I am becoming a rare breed these days, as I only have takeaways once a week, if that, so couldn't a rats **** how many it has.

So find the whole some people fixation with calories quite odd. (not accusing you of this, just an off topic thing)

If they are that worried about how much calories things have, cook your own food.

IMO you don't need to be a food nutter to want to know what you're putting in your body. I'm the sort who will stand to the side and read nutritional labels on things in the shops before deciding what to buy, but it's not like I have a large number of 'red flags' that I run away from. Mainly high sodium (thanks to genetics I have hypertension) or HFCS (I don't care for the taste). But, say, GMOs? Fine. Gluten/nuts/whatever other random thing people think they're allergic to? Good to go for me. And I tend to avoid 'low fat' stuff just because it usually means they've shot it full of sugar to make up for the change in taste (looking at you, Knudsen).

I'll get delivery/take away maybe 2-3 times a year, but when I do I like to know what's in what I'm eating. Maybe it nudges me into getting the larger fries (chips) portion but leaving off the soda. If I see I'm dumping a truckload of sugar into my system for the very small pleasure I'd have gotten from a soda, but I can Hoover up the carbs and still be at a reasonable calorie level for a meal I consider it worth the time to look things up.

At my age (lets just say I know what a 33 is vs a 45 [or even a 78]) I don't have the luxury of shoving whatever I want into my Munching Cave. Rather than being the stereotypical fatass who blames his biology for things I take responsibility for what I eat. I'll let my hair down from time to time, but still want to know what it is I'm eating. I can know just how many calories are in that bottle of wine I downed with dinner and still think "yeah, I'm good with that".
Joe Random is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th October 2019, 07:46 AM   #97
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

I rarely eat fried chicken but yesterday I had the best chicken fingers I've ever had from a local pizza shop. They were real breast meat, not processed glued-together scraps, they were lightly breaded and nicely seasoned, and they were crunchy and not greasy, nice BBQ sauce too. If you want good chicken, order local.
"...just as a magnet attracts iron filings, Trump shemp attracts, and is attracted to, louts." - George Will
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th October 2019, 07:54 AM   #98
bobdroege7
Master Poster

People in the US airports don't seem to have gotten the message, I would like to get a chicken and biscuit but I'm not into standing in a line 20 deep.

Graduate of a liberal arts college!

Faster play faster faster play faster
bobdroege7 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th October 2019, 09:32 AM   #99
luchog

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
I rarely eat fried chicken but yesterday I had the best chicken fingers I've ever had from a local pizza shop. They were real breast meat, not processed glued-together scraps, they were lightly breaded and nicely seasoned, and they were crunchy and not greasy, nice BBQ sauce too. If you want good chicken, order local.

The best fried chicken in this entire county where I live, comes from a tiny little convenience store in my old neighborhood, owned by an Ethiopian immigrant family. Crispy, spicy, juicy, no sauce of any sort needed. And cooked in small batches all day long, so at any particular time you may have a wait of up to 20 minutes to get it. Well worth the wait.
Old 26th October 2019, 09:41 AM   #100
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by luchog View Post
That's pretty much the problem in a nutshell. KK donuts might as well just be spun sugar, there isn't much else to them.

That's because they're mostly air. Sugar and air and just enough other stuff to hold the sugar together in the air.
I'd say more effort goes into the appearance and marketing and naming of their doughnuts than into how they taste.
Old 26th October 2019, 11:53 AM   #101
SpitfireIX
Illuminator

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
KFC is better anyway.

Lee's Famous Recipe (founded by Colonel Sanders's nephew) is the best fast food fried chicken, bar none. Unfortunately you don't have any out your way. And there are none near Niceville, Florida, where I'll be moving next year.
3) "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." --Inigo Montoya
SpitfireIX is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th October 2019, 03:28 AM   #102
Archie Gemmill Goal
Philosopher

Just found out today that apparently they have a second location in the UK in Aviemore. Weird.
Old 29th October 2019, 09:33 AM   #103
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Krispy Creme has tried to make it in Canada twice now. "When the company first invaded Canada in 2001, excited customers waited in long lineups for a taste of its famed hot-glazed doughnuts." And then filed for bankruptcy in 2005. They had tried to take on Tim Horton's (qv) when it was still a Real Canadian company. The second try in 2016 seems to be a bit more successful.

Some of the story here: https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/kri...back-1.3675499
Old 29th October 2019, 09:37 AM   #104
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

The Chicky Fillet folks seem to be doing OK here in TO -- https://dailyhive.com/toronto/chick-...toronto-photos

We'll see what happens when the hype has passed.
Old 29th October 2019, 11:29 AM   #105
DuvalHMFIC
Graduate Poster

I would have thought Canada would be a Dunkin' Donuts kinda place over KK. I went to Boston once and they had more Dunkin Donut's than Seattle has Starbucks. It was crazy.
Old 29th October 2019, 11:33 AM   #106
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by DuvalHMFIC View Post
I would have thought Canada would be a Dunkin' Donuts kinda place over KK. I went to Boston once and they had more Dunkin Donut's than Seattle has Starbucks. It was crazy.
The only thing I remember from a drive through Maine as a child (I was a passenger, not the driver) is the large number of Dunkin Doughnuts everywhere. Perhaps it's some weird Yankee thing? That was back in the early 80s.
Old 29th October 2019, 03:31 PM   #107
xjx388
Philosopher

If I worried about the political/religious leanings of the owners of places I like I probably wouldn't go anywhere.

Chic-Fil-A is just a different kind of chicken sandwich. It's not a traditional crunch fried chicken, more like KFC original recipe than KFC/Church's crunchy. I like them better than any other fast food chicken sandwich available. They've been around since I was a kid. My wife worked her high school job there when I first met her. Back then, they had awesome cole slaw and chicken salad but I think they got rid of those. Preference in food is highly individual and all I can say is that around here, the lunch and dinner lines are ridiculously long but people wait in them. They are endlessly busy.

I know the family who owns all the Chic-Fil-A's here. They are not deeply religious. The store owners tend to be very different from the company owners.
Old 29th October 2019, 03:37 PM   #108
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

SOmeone mentioned IN and Out burgers.
I don't mind a biblical message stamped on the bottom of a paper cup.That is totally different then sort of forcing their opinions on you the way that CFA does.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th October 2019, 03:47 PM   #109
xjx388
Philosopher

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
SOmeone mentioned IN and Out burgers.
I don't mind a biblical message stamped on the bottom of a paper cup.That is totally different then sort of forcing their opinions on you the way that CFA does.
How does CFA force their opinions on you, exactly? I've been there hundreds of times and I haven't felt that way at all. There is no overt religious messaging anywhere, nothing anti-LGBTQ. In-n-Out is much more up front as indicated by the printed religious messages on their packaging.
Old 29th October 2019, 04:58 PM   #110
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by DuvalHMFIC View Post
The only thing I remember from a drive through Maine as a child (I was a passenger, not the driver) is the large number of Dunkin Doughnuts everywhere. Perhaps it's some weird Yankee thing? That was back in the early 80s.
It's because DD started in Quincy, MA and spread from there. Thus, the highest viral load is in New England.
Old 29th October 2019, 05:29 PM   #111
DuvalHMFIC
Graduate Poster

^^^ I didn't know that, but it makes sense. Thanks Babbylonian.
Old 30th October 2019, 12:58 PM   #112
mgidm86
Philosopher

Originally Posted by xjx388 View Post
How does CFA force their opinions on you, exactly? I've been there hundreds of times and I haven't felt that way at all. There is no overt religious messaging anywhere, nothing anti-LGBTQ. In-n-Out is much more up front as indicated by the printed religious messages on their packaging.

Aha! Now In N Out fans need to decide if their favorite burger chain is as bad as Chic-Fil-A (damn that is a pain to type). And where do you go (or stop) from there?

Although I've never been to a Chic-Fil-A I've never heard of them being religiously "overt" in any way, including the current controversy. They didn't advertise their views as far as I can remember. I could be wrong.

Like I and a few others have already said, I don't research every company to find out their political views. I also think it's okay that people don't always agree with me. Chic-Fil-A's current stances are not that big of a deal in my opinion.

I mean sheesh even Mother Teresa wasn't really "Mother Teresa", so how perfect should we expect each other to be?
Old 30th October 2019, 01:19 PM   #113
CORed
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
Which has absolute zero to do with a business operating in England.
Hell, it doesn't protect them from a boycott in the US either. The owner has a right to his beliefs, but I also have a right not to do business with the owner if I don't like those beliefs or what he does to further those beliefs.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th October 2019, 01:32 PM   #114
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by CORed View Post
Hell, it doesn't protect them from a boycott in the US either. The owner has a right to his beliefs, but I also have a right not to do business with the owner if I don't like those beliefs or what he does to further those beliefs.
CFA operates on a franchise model. The people you're doing business with are believing mostly in getting paid.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th October 2019, 01:54 PM   #115
CORed
Philosopher

This concept came up recently at work. Someone had brought in Krispy Kreme doughnuts and everyone went mad for them, as they always do whenever those get brought in. I don't see what the wow factor is for these. They're not bad, especially when fresh, but they're not really any better than other local or chain offerings. And it's never some decent sort of variety doughnut like an apple fritter, maple bar, or jelly filled that people bring in. Just the plain old boring round lump of fried dough with a hole in the center. Yet people have somehow convinced themselves that they're better than sex, and are willing to go Thunderdome on each other to get one.
Well, if I want a glazed donut (something I rarely eat any more because I'm diabetic), I would much rather get one from Winchell's than from Crispy Kreme. Winchell's have some substance and a nice yeasty flavor. Crispy Kreme's seem to be mostly air and are too sweet.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th October 2019, 01:58 PM   #116
CORed
Philosopher

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
I first encountered Krispy Kreme donuts in South Carolina, during basic training for the Army. Probably a gross of assorted dozens were supplied for breakfast every day. (Whether you were actually allowed to eat a donut at breakfast varied from training company to training company.)

Those donuts seemed amazing, fully living up to the hype. To this day, I can't tell you if it was because all calories seem amazing when you're in basic training, or some other reason. I didn't see Krispy Kreme again for several years, on the west coast. These donuts weren't anything like I remembered. They were smaller, blander, crappier in every respect. I don't know if misremembered the quality of the earlier donuts, of if the recipes changed, or what.

But my experience is that Krispy Kreme was great once, and is crap now.
It might have simply been that you wanted calories -- any calories -- when you were in basic. Hell when I used to backpack, I even found freeze dried backpacking food tasty. If anyone tried to serve that to me in a restaurant, I'd probably demand a refund.
Old 31st October 2019, 04:05 AM   #117
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
Although I've never been to a Chic-Fil-A I've never heard of them being religiously "overt" in any way, including the current controversy. They didn't advertise their views as far as I can remember. I could be wrong.
I'm in the UK, don't really care about American fast food francises, and the only context I'd every heard of Chic-Fil-A until now is in regard of their religious views, they made it an issue when they wanted opt outs from covering family planning in their employee's health coverage and made the issue about how religious they were. I have no knowledge or interest about any other fast food chain because they haven't brought it into the public domain.

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2019, 07:40 PM   #118
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Chick-fil-A will no longer donate to anti-LGBTQ organizations

I guess that means I could eat there now with a clean conscience. (There's no Chick-fil-A near where I live in any case, so it's purely hypothetical for me.)
Quote:
New York (CNN Business) Chick-fil-A is making major changes to its charitable foundation, ending donations to two organizations that have been criticized for being anti-LGBTQ.

The fast food chain announced Monday that beginning next year it will only donate to a certain group of charities. That list no longer includes the Salvation Army and the Fellowship of Christian Athletes (FCA). Both organizations have taken controversial stands on homosexuality and same-sex marriage.
Quote:
Going forward, Chick-fil-A said it will work exclusively with organizations that focus on education, homelessness and hunger. Those are Junior Achievement USA, Covenant House International and donating $25,000 local food banks.
"No organization will be excluded from future consideration — faith-based or non-faith-based," said Tim Tassopoulos, president and chief operating officer of Chick-fil-A, in a statement.
Will that be enough, I wonder? Have the boycotters won?
Old 18th November 2019, 08:01 PM   #119
Venom
Illuminator

I've cut down on fast food anyway.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2019, 08:03 PM   #120
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

I won't eat at that establishment till they fix that atrocious spelling of their business name.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events