ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags boycott incidents , Chick-fil-A , UK incidents

Old 18th November 2019, 08:11 PM   #121
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
I won't eat at that establishment till they fix that atrocious spelling of their business name.
It should be "Chic-Fil-A" because they are very chic, non?

The Canadian branches are called "Chick-Fil-Eh".

The Greek ones are "Chick-Phyl-Lo".
Old 18th November 2019, 09:30 PM   #122
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Australia - Chickas.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2019, 11:02 PM   #123
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Off topic slightly, but is Taco Bell any good?

They about to open a few stores here.

Aus has a few I think.

Their website menu images look alright, but then website menu images of food never actually resemble what you get in reality.

All the lighting and spray on lacquer stuff I think.
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2019, 11:41 PM   #124
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post

Aus has a few I think.

Their website menu images look alright, but then website menu images of food never actually resemble what you get in reality.

I personally used to like Taco Bell, back when I lived in the US. It's been a couple of decades though since I moved to Japan. It was cheap. Tacos were like 89 cents I think. You could get them either hard or soft, or with chicken or beef. A bit more for a "taco supreme" (with sour cream). Other things like burritos were more, but also bigger. They recently opened a Taco Bell in Japan, but it isn't quite the same, and it isn't cheap.

If your tastes run to better food and you don't mind paying a bit more for it, there's definitely better Mexican food to be had than at Taco Bell. Taco Bell was just cheap and easy.

Last edited by Puppycow; 18th November 2019 at 11:42 PM.
Puppycow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2019, 05:22 AM   #125
SuburbanTurkey
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
Chick-fil-A will no longer donate to anti-LGBTQ organizations

I guess that means I could eat there now with a clean conscience. (There's no Chick-fil-A near where I live in any case, so it's purely hypothetical for me.)

Will that be enough, I wonder? Have the boycotters won?
There's murmuring of a bigot's backlash, but I doubt it has any legs. Some are trying to gin up this news a betrayal of christian values, but it's a hard stance to take since the restaurant still gives money to charitable groups, just not to those specific anti-gay ones.

Yes, I think the boycotters have won.
Old 19th November 2019, 05:44 AM   #126
DuvalHMFIC
Graduate Poster

Taco Bell is what it is-it's fast food. If you are into fast food at all, you'll probably like it. If you already don't like fast food, you probably won't like it.

In my clubbing days, Taco Bell was the go-to after a night of drinking though. Or the occasional Krystal.
Old 19th November 2019, 05:55 AM   #127
Tolls
Illuminator

Originally Posted by DuvalHMFIC View Post
In my clubbing days, Taco Bell was the go-to after a night of drinking though.
Ah, so it's your version of a doner kebab?
Tolls is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2019, 05:59 AM   #128
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
There's murmuring of a bigot's backlash, but I doubt it has any legs. Some are trying to gin up this news a betrayal of christian values, but it's a hard stance to take since the restaurant still gives money to charitable groups, just not to those specific anti-gay ones.

So, does this make it okay that I once got a BJ from a CfA employee in the bathroom there? It's one reason I never really bought the whole CfA = homophobia thing. Nobody accuses McDonald's of homophobia but I've never gotten the same treatment there.
Old 19th November 2019, 07:39 AM   #129
Mumbles
Philosopher

Still, it's amusing to watch all the guys that scream about "Cancel Culture", are cancelling Chik-Fil-A. I'm kinda hoping a few of them record videos of themselves ruining their own food, like those times they cancelled Kuerig, Gilette, and Nike.

Not that I eat there, I was never impressed with their offerings. But, like I keep saying, nobody gets cancelled.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2019, 08:02 AM   #130
luchog
Neo-Post-Retro-Revivalist

Not yet, no. That headline and article are misleading. Chick-fil-A founders and owners are still supporting anti-LGTBQ organizations. The Cathys still run the WinShape and Lifeshape foundations; both of which still contribute heavily to the Southern Baptist Convention and a number of smaller organizations with profoundly anti-LGTBQ policies. They've dropped the most obvious, but we'll see how long that lasts.

This is just smoke and mirrors to try and rehabilitate their image.
When you say that fascists should only be defeated through debate, what you're really saying is that the marginalized and vulnerable should have to endlessly argue for their right to exist; and at no point should they ever be fully accepted, and the debate considered won.
luchog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2019, 08:12 AM   #131
SuburbanTurkey
Master Poster

Originally Posted by luchog View Post
Not yet, no. That headline and article are misleading. Chick-fil-A founders and owners are still supporting anti-LGTBQ organizations. The Cathys still run the WinShape and Lifeshape foundations; both of which still contribute heavily to the Southern Baptist Convention and a number of smaller organizations with profoundly anti-LGTBQ policies. They've dropped the most obvious, but we'll see how long that lasts.

This is just smoke and mirrors to try and rehabilitate their image.
Well sure, but I think the public will see a difference. The owners getting rich from the franchise can direct their profits to some objectionable things, but people will see that as a bit different than the business itself giving money to anti-LGBT orgs.

I see value in Chick-fil-a learning that public support of anti-gay activism is toxic to their image. At the very least, being anti-gay is no longer part of a corporation's PR charitable giving. That's a sign of the times, I suppose.

The problem of rich people donating their money to crappy charities is a larger issue.
Old 19th November 2019, 08:14 AM   #132
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Nobody accuses McDonald's of homophobia but I've never gotten the same treatment there.
It's on the secret menu.

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2019, 08:19 AM   #133
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Aus has a few I think.

They had one in the UK in Uxbridge a few years (decades?) back. I quite liked it, it's definitely the fast food equivalent of Mexican food rather than proper Mexican food, but the UK isn't overly blessed with good Mexican or Tex-Mex restaurants. It made a nice change was cheap and reasonably filling by fast food standards.

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2019, 08:36 AM   #134
Donal
Illuminator

Taco Bell is OK for what it is. they know their target audience, mostly folks looking for a quick bite while bar hopping. It is well ahead of White Castle in that regard. Don't think of it as Mexican food. think of it as neon finger food.
Old 19th November 2019, 09:37 AM   #135
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

We have Taco Time Northwest. They are a couple orders of magnitude better than Taco Bell.
Old 19th November 2019, 01:39 PM   #136
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

So, does this make it okay that I once got a BJ from a CfA employee in the bathroom there? It's one reason I never really bought the whole CfA = homophobia thing. Nobody accuses McDonald's of homophobia but I've never gotten the same treatment there.
I've heard that some of the franchisees are very liberal and support a diverse workforce along with their famously good customer service.

Your experience is in line with that.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2019, 02:11 PM   #137
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

I'm not convinced that CFA's announcement is meaningful. They had previously announced they had ended support for anti-gay groups - a "fact" which until now alt-right supporters have continually cited as evidence that "SJW" antipathy for the business was uninformed and purely vindictive - and yet here they are, announcing that yet again they will end support for anti-gay charities. How long until the next time they announce they are ending support for anti-gay charities?
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2019, 04:00 PM   #138
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

In the future, all restaurants will be Taco Bell. This will occur after they win the Franchise Wars.

This was foretold in the prophetic movie "Demolition Man". And they wouldn't lie in a movie, would they?

https://tacobell.fandom.com/wiki/Demolition_Man

Seriously, taco bell is the only fast food outlet I will actually go out of my way to eat at. I recognize that what you get probably doesn't really qualify as 'food', but I find some of the stuff they serve to be rather addictive.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2019, 06:48 PM   #139
DuvalHMFIC
Graduate Poster

Slap some fire sauce on that stuff, and you can eat anything they serve, basically.
Old 20th November 2019, 09:52 AM   #140
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Seriously, taco bell is the only fast food outlet I will actually go out of my way to eat at. I recognize that what you get probably doesn't really qualify as 'food', but I find some of the stuff they serve to be rather addictive.
Taco Bell succeeds because their food is simple, contains plenty of salt, often includes sour cream, and isn't hamburgers. A significant number of visits are probably preceded by someone saying "I don't feel like having a hamburger."
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2019, 10:01 AM   #141
3point14
Pi

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
I won't eat at that establishment till they fix that atrocious spelling of their business name.
I don't understand what it's supposed to be saying.

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2019, 10:09 AM   #142
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Babbylonian View Post
Taco Bell succeeds because their food is simple, contains plenty of salt, often includes sour cream, and isn't hamburgers. A significant number of visits are probably preceded by someone saying "I don't feel like having a hamburger."
Also it's cheap. You get more food for your buck at Taco Bell than at a burger joint.
Old 20th November 2019, 10:20 AM   #143
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by 3point14 View Post
I don't understand what it's supposed to be saying.
"Chick(en) Filet"
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2019, 10:22 AM   #144
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Also it's cheap. You get more food for your buck at Taco Bell than at a burger joint.
Now I'm wondering if I should lift my personal embargo on Taco Bell. I have fond memories from my dissolute youth, but recent attempts to recapture that feeling have convinced me that Taco Bell is not for me anymore.

But I was trying something fancy from their breakfast menu, which may have been my mistake. Is it time for me to revisit the Burrito Supreme?
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2019, 10:25 AM   #145
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Now I'm wondering if I should lift my personal embargo on Taco Bell. I have fond memories from my dissolute youth, but recent attempts to recapture that feeling have convinced me that Taco Bell is not for me anymore.

But I was trying something fancy from their breakfast menu, which may have been my mistake. Is it time for me to revisit the Burrito Supreme?
I haven't been to Taco Bell since I was young and poor. Haven't had instant ramen since then either. I think I'm fine with not revisiting the past.
Old 20th November 2019, 10:29 AM   #146
Disbelief
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Tolls View Post
Ah, so it's your version of a doner kebab?
Yes and no. Doner kebabs are so much better.

Quote me where I said conspiracists use evidence. - mchapman
Disbelief is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2019, 10:34 AM   #147
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

I haven't been to Taco Bell since I was young and poor. Haven't had instant ramen since then either. I think I'm fine with not revisiting the past.
The one benefit of my youth was that there were cheap Mexican places in every strip mall and no reason to go to Taco Bell. Every time I have gone has been because someone else was driving. I have no fond memories of Taco Bell.

I do have fond memories of Two Pesos until Taco Cabana put them out of business. Two Pesos was always the better deal.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2019, 10:42 AM   #148
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
The one benefit of my youth was that there were cheap Mexican places in every strip mall and no reason to go to Taco Bell. Every time I have gone has been because someone else was driving. I have no fond memories of Taco Bell.

I do have fond memories of Two Pesos until Taco Cabana put them out of business. Two Pesos was always the better deal.
I think of Christine Beranski in The Big Bang Theory

Leonard: Are you drunk?
His mom: I hope so, or why else why would we have stopped at Del Taco?
Old 20th November 2019, 10:49 AM   #149
3point14
Pi

"Chick(en) Filet"
Thank you!

God, that's terrible. Maybe it makes more sense in the US.

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2019, 10:50 AM   #150
Joe Random
Master Poster

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
I think of Christine Beranski in The Big Bang Theory

Leonard: Are you drunk?
His mom: I hope so, or why else why would we have stopped at Del Taco?

Experiences will vary based on geography and personal taste, but way back when I still ate fast food (i.e. before we knew if Y2K was going to make the missiles launch) I always found Del Taco to be a cut above Taco Bell. Granted, that's like saying a punch in the chest was a cut above a kick in the jimmies, but if we're calibrating our ratings to fast food level (and excluding quality chains and local offerings) Del Taco's offerings always seemed closer to having actual flavor to them, as opposed to Taco Bell's "we sat this vat of ground beef next to a picture of some onions for an hour" blandness that was only cured by drowning it in some kind of hot sauce. Plus at least at that time TB's menu seemed to consist of the same 4-6 core ingredients just assembled differently.

YMWV of course.
Joe Random is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2019, 01:30 PM   #151
DuvalHMFIC
Graduate Poster

Thank you!

Nope. Oh, and it's also the subject of a Mandela Effect. Many people (mis)remember it being spelled Chick-Fil-A, which still looks terrible. But at least it isn't "Sheek Fillet" as it is right now.
Old 20th November 2019, 05:46 PM   #152
Regnad Kcin
Philosopher

Maybe try In-N-Out?

ETA: Were you female, I'd imagine a guaranteed good time at Jack In The Box.

Last edited by Regnad Kcin; 20th November 2019 at 05:51 PM.
Regnad Kcin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2019, 06:45 PM   #153
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Regnad Kcin View Post
Maybe try In-N-Out?

ETA: Were you female, I'd imagine a guaranteed good time at Jack In The Box.
At my college in Montana in the late 1960's, I kept seeing bumper stickers saying "In-N-Out urge". I didn't find out until a few years ago that they'd been scissored from "In-N-Out Burgers".

Even earlier, LXIX sweatshirts were popular at my high school until someone on the staff figured it out. I was way late understanding that one too.
Old 20th November 2019, 07:44 PM   #154
bobdroege7
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
At my college in Montana in the late 1960's, I kept seeing bumper stickers saying "In-N-Out urge". I didn't find out until a few years ago that they'd been scissored from "In-N-Out Burgers".

Even earlier, LXIX sweatshirts were popular at my high school until someone on the staff figured it out. I was way late understanding that one too.
I would have liked to try out for high school football so I could get a

Downers Trojans

practice jersey

Graduate of a liberal arts college!

Faster play faster faster play faster
bobdroege7 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2019, 08:06 PM   #155
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Thank you!

It's meant to highlight that the chain uses only "filet", ie the breast of the chicken, rather than unidentifiable other parts of chickens. Possibly mushed together into a slurry, like McDonalds.

But CfA's claims to quality are blown out of the water in places where Raising Canes has moved in. That place has much better chicken, and they don't make it then let it sit under heat lamps until ordered.
Old 20th November 2019, 08:11 PM   #156
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

I can get full for $5 and sick for $10. That's the dream.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2019, 08:49 PM   #157
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Babbylonian View Post
I can get full for $5 and sick for $10. That's the dream.
Back in the day 3 taco supremes plus a humongous soda (free refills too, if you ate inside) would come in under $5. But that was 20 years ago.
Old 21st November 2019, 12:19 AM   #158
mgidm86
Philosopher

I'm not too sure about that, I'd say 4 of their regular tacos might weigh the same as a quarter pounder and costs more.

Taco Bell puts a tiny amount of meat at the very bottom of the shell, reminds me of a gram of crumbly weed in a baggie that someone pinched from. They're pathetic. Add a buttload of very dry yet chilled lettuce, and some kind of cheese stuff. Could be cheese.

They put it in a shell that tastes like cardboard. The hot sauce tastes like vinegar and something red. Many people love that sauce though.

Any taco joint, fast food or taqueria is better than Taco Bell in my opinion. Taco Bravo down the road fills the shell with meat and charges the same price. They are a local legend for late-nighters.
Old 21st November 2019, 12:34 AM   #159
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Deputy Admin

It's meant to highlight that the chain uses only "filet", ie the breast of the chicken, rather than unidentifiable other parts of chickens. Possibly mushed together into a slurry, like McDonalds.

But CfA's claims to quality are blown out of the water in places where Raising Canes has moved in. That place has much better chicken, and they don't make it then let it sit under heat lamps until ordered.
The name doesn't work in the UK for a couple of reasons. I don't think we use that term for chicken breast very often and, more importantly, when we do use the term it's spelt 'fillet' and we pronounce the 't'.
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2019, 12:52 AM   #160
3point14
Pi

Originally Posted by zooterkin View Post
The name doesn't work in the UK for a couple of reasons. I don't think we use that term for chicken breast very often and, more importantly, when we do use the term it's spelt 'fillet' and we pronounce the 't'.
Oh!

Thanks.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events