ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags boycott incidents , Chick-fil-A , UK incidents

Old 21st November 2019, 02:09 AM   #161
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by zooterkin View Post
The name doesn't work in the UK for a couple of reasons. I don't think we use that term for chicken breast very often and, more importantly, when we do use the term it's spelt 'fillet' and we pronounce the 't'.
Same here.

I am pushing to remember the last time I heard "fillet of chicken". It is just "breast of chicken"

Mind you I guess advertising like "Our "Chick Breas t's" outlets are awesome and inviting. Come down for a mouthful of their succulent loveliness" would not go down well.
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000

Last edited by cullennz; 21st November 2019 at 02:11 AM.
cullennz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2019, 05:17 AM   #162
Information Analyst
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
"Chick(en) Filet"
Which doesn't work in the UK, because we say "fillit" ("fill-it"). Even then, we generally refer to "chicken breasts," not "chicken fillets." The latter is probably used more often for optional in-bra breast enhancers/eveners.

Last edited by Information Analyst; 21st November 2019 at 05:21 AM.
Information Analyst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2019, 05:35 AM   #163
DuvalHMFIC
Graduate Poster

Honestly, at least where I live, the term "fillet" is rarely used for chicken, either. It's used much more for things like fish. I think McDonald's even has the "fillet of fish."
Old 21st November 2019, 05:40 AM   #164
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

I didn't mean to imply the wordplay of the name was good wordplay. I've never heard "filet" applied to chicken either. I think they were trying to equate the chicken quality to steak.
Old 21st November 2019, 06:58 AM   #165
DuvalHMFIC
Graduate Poster

Wow, I just learned something new. "Filet" (fill-ay) is a verb, the process of cutting. "Fillet" (fill-it) is a noun, and it's what is being cut.
Old 21st November 2019, 07:58 AM   #166
eerok
Quixoticist

Originally Posted by DuvalHMFIC View Post
Wow, I just learned something new. "Filet" (fill-ay) is a verb, the process of cutting. "Fillet" (fill-it) is a noun, and it's what is being cut.
I thought it was just the conflicted Canadian in me that was mixing up the pronunciations, but I think you're mostly right (let's not forget filet mignon). I do a lot of fishing, and if I'm lucky I get fillets.

But don't get me started on clique and foyer.
Old 21st November 2019, 08:07 AM   #167
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Deputy Admin

It's 'fillet' for both, in the UK.
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2019, 08:22 AM   #168
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

It's 'fillet' for both, in the UK.
I know they pronounce the T in fillet and valet, but what about buffet? The dining arrangement, not the series of blows.
Old 21st November 2019, 08:47 AM   #169
Information Analyst
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
I know they pronounce the T in fillet and valet, but what about buffet? The dining arrangement, not the series of blows.
Pronounced the French way.
Information Analyst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2019, 09:32 AM   #170
DuvalHMFIC
Graduate Poster

I know they pronounce the T in fillet and valet, but what about buffet?
Depends on if you're talking about a certain fan of margaritas or not.
Old 21st November 2019, 09:37 AM   #171
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Honestly, at least where I live, the term "fillet" is rarely used for chicken, either. It's used much more for things like fish. I think McDonald's even has the "fillet of fish."
That's Filet O Fish. If they said "of" they might actually have to use a filet of fish.
Old 21st November 2019, 10:05 AM   #172
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
Quote:
Also it's cheap. You get more food for your buck at Taco Bell than at a burger joint.
I'm not too sure about that, I'd say 4 of their regular tacos might weigh the same as a quarter pounder and costs more.
These are Canadian numbers, so your milage may vary...

One Taco Bell beef burrito: 130g, Calories: 310, Protein: 11g (a favorite of mine)

One Taco bell crunchy taco: 78g, Calories: 170, Protein: 8g

One McDonalds Quarter Pounder with cheese: 199g, Calories: 520, Protein:30g

If your goal is to get roughly the same amount of food as a Quarter Pounder with Cheese, then 1 taco and 1 burrito would give that (slightly more calories/weight, slightly less protein.) Last time I was at taco bell I think that cost me a bit over $4; a quarter pounder is (I think) closer to $5. So Taco bell edges out McDonalds.

Now, McDonald's does have other advantages when compared to Taco Bell: You have more variety (and can order stuff that its slightly healthier, like salads), whereas Taco Bell is pretty much junk food through and through. And I find the drink menu at Taco Bell especially bad (you can't even get milk at many outlets... pop or water only.)

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2019, 10:08 AM   #173
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Information Analyst View Post
Which doesn't work in the UK, because we say "fillit" ("fill-it"). Even then, we generally refer to "chicken breasts," not "chicken fillets." The latter is probably used more often for optional in-bra breast enhancers/eveners.
It "doesn't work" in the US either, in the sense that Americans don't say "chick" for "chicken" and don't say "chick(en) filet" much at all. I mean, I wouldn't be surprised if there's a dialect somewhere in the hills of Arcadia that speaks this way, but that's hardly a good demographic to base a national marketing strategy on. Or maybe it is. Maybe that cajun idiom hits exactly the right note of American Exotic to hook into people's minds and establish brand interest. Maybe the effect is even more pronounced in the UK, where America is even more foreign.

Anyway, the working of it has nothing to do with it being a common phrase in American English. I doubt that UKians will have any real trouble with it.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2019, 10:34 AM   #174
Information Analyst
Penultimate Amazing

Anyway, the working of it has nothing to do with it being a common phrase in American English. I doubt that UKians will have any real trouble with it.
As said previously, they're more likely to dub it "Chick-filla" as per "Polyfilla" (genericised trademark for multi-purpose crack filler).
Old 21st November 2019, 10:42 AM   #175
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
And I find the drink menu at Taco Bell especially bad (you can't even get milk at many outlets... pop or water only.)
And because it's part of Yum Brands, spun off from Pepsico, the pop will be Pepsi. I prefer Coke.
Old 21st November 2019, 10:42 AM   #176
DuvalHMFIC
Graduate Poster

Fast food companies come up with some odd names indeed. How the heck a Louisiana style cajun chicken place came to be named "Popeyes" is beyond me. They don't even have spinach on the menu!

Then of course there is "Wendy's", which was owned and promoted by .... a guy named Dave.

And finally there's Carl's Jr., even though there is no Carl's Sr. And Carl's Jr...what? What is his junior?
Old 21st November 2019, 10:46 AM   #177
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Fast food companies come up with some odd names indeed. How the heck a Louisiana style cajun chicken place came to be named "Popeyes" is beyond me. They don't even have spinach on the menu!

Then of course there is "Wendy's", which was owned and promoted by .... a guy named Dave.

And finally there's Carl's Jr., even though there is no Carl's Sr. And Carl's Jr...what? What is his junior?
Don't forget Burger King, which was founded in a republic.
Old 21st November 2019, 10:46 AM   #178
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

As said previously, they're more likely to dub it "Chick-filla" as per "Polyfilla" (genericised trademark for multi-purpose crack filler).
As said previously, the working of it has nothing to do with it being a common phrase in American English. I doubt that UKians will have any real trouble with it.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2019, 10:50 AM   #179
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Forget the British, what horrendous mangling will the Australians do to it? Chook-feela?
Old 21st November 2019, 10:50 AM   #180
3point14
Pi

As said previously, the working of it has nothing to do with it being a common phrase in American English. I doubt that UKians will have any real trouble with it.
This one does.

It has only made sense to me after the discussion in this thread.

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2019, 10:50 AM   #181
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
And because it's part of Yum Brands, spun off from Pepsico, the pop will be Pepsi. I prefer Coke.
I figure, by the time you find yourself ordering at the counter of a fast food establishment, you've already crossed the Rubicon of which pop you prefer.
Old 21st November 2019, 10:52 AM   #182
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by 3point14 View Post
This one does.

Local Person Finds Sense In Chicken. "All Has Been Made Clear." Stock Market In Turmoil.
Old 21st November 2019, 10:57 AM   #183
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by 3point14 View Post
This one does.

My point is that it doesn't have to make sense in order to work. "Chick-fil-A" isn't any more meaningful in American English than in British English. But the brand is recognized. The menu is popular. The franchise is successful. I wouldn't be surprised if the inherent weirdness of the name is part of the reason for the success of the brand.

So no, I don't think you're having any real trouble with the name. Or at least no more trouble than anyone else, this side of the pond or that, who's buying their sandwiches or boycotting their stores.
Old 21st November 2019, 11:04 AM   #184
ArchSas
Thinker

Popeye's was named after Popeye Doyle. Apparently The French Connection had just come out and the founder was a big fan. Wendy's was named after Dave Thomas's daughter. Carl's Jr. actually did start out as a "junior" version of a restaurant named Carl's; IIRC, the owner had a full service restaurant and the junior versions were founded as satellite, hamburger-only branches that ended up being much more popular.

I have no idea why I can remember all of that. It's completely useless.
ArchSas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2019, 11:08 AM   #185
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
Originally Posted by ArchSas View Post
Popeye's was named after Popeye Doyle. Apparently The French Connection had just come out and the founder was a big fan. Wendy's was named after Dave Thomas's daughter. Carl's Jr. actually did start out as a "junior" version of a restaurant named Carl's; IIRC, the owner had a full service restaurant and the junior versions were founded as satellite, hamburger-only branches that ended up being much more popular.

I have no idea why I can remember all of that. It's completely useless.
And, of course, McDonald's was named after a Scottish immigrant who thought "What if we flatten the haggis, and put it on a bun?"*. And the rest is history.

*-Note: May or may not be loosely based on what could be a true story possibly.
Old 21st November 2019, 11:10 AM   #186
DuvalHMFIC
Graduate Poster

Damn, I here I always thought McDonald's was like "well, we sell cows, pigs, and potatoes" and took the name from Old McDonald, the man who had a farm.
Old 21st November 2019, 11:20 AM   #187
Information Analyst
Penultimate Amazing

But, as has been pointed out, "filet" as pronounced in the US is not commonly used in the UK, as we use "fillet," pronounced "fill-it," but it's hardly ever applied to chicken. If you say "chicken fillet," more Brits will probably think of this than the meat. Even if people pronounce the "A" in the company name "right," it's essentially meaningless.

Last edited by Information Analyst; 21st November 2019 at 11:25 AM.
Old 21st November 2019, 11:22 AM   #188
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

But, as has been pointed out, "filet" as pronounced in the US is not commonly used in the UK, as we use "fillet," pronounced "fill-it." Even if people pronounce the "A" in the company name "right," it's essentially meaningless.
Uh huh. I think everyone agrees it's a stupid name and a failed attempt at whatever they were attempting. People were explaining how the name happened, not defending it as being a particularly good name.
Old 21st November 2019, 11:26 AM   #189
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Deputy Admin

My point is that it doesn't have to make sense in order to work. "Chick-fil-A" isn't any more meaningful in American English than in British English.
Except for the fact that it is.
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2019, 11:29 AM   #190
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

But, as has been pointed out, "filet" as pronounced in the US is not commonly used in the UK, as we use "fillet," pronounced "fill-it," and it's hardly ever applied to chicken. If you say "chicken fillet," more Brits will probably think of this than the meat. Even if people pronounce the "A" in the company name "right," it's essentially meaningless.
And as has been pointed out, it doesn't have to be meaningful to work. In fact, it being kind of weird, and meaningless beyond the actual brand itself, might even help with the effect.

Uh huh. I think everyone agrees it's a stupid name and a failed attempt at whatever they were attempting. People were explaining how the name happened, not defending it as being a particularly good name.
Is it a stupid name, though? The brand is recognized. The menu is popular. The franchise is successful. Having a "stupid" name might even be an advantage, for this sort of thing.

Except for the fact that it is.
Not really. Americans don't call chicken "chick". Nobody really says "chicken filet". The meaning it has is tautological, deriving from the success of the brand: "Chick-fil-A" means "Chick-fil-A". That's the same on both sides of the pond.
Old 21st November 2019, 11:34 AM   #191
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Let's brainstorm better names for a fast food chicken chain!

I favor "Cluck Cluck Chicken To Be Eaten By Human Persons". It's elegant, attention-grabbing, and accurately conveys exactly what it is. CCC2BE10BHP for short.
Old 21st November 2019, 11:35 AM   #192
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Let's brainstorm better names for a fast food chicken chain!

I favor "Cluck Cluck Chicken To Be Eaten By Human Persons". It's elegant, attention-grabbing, and accurately conveys exactly what it is. CCC2BE10BHP for short.
Dead Bird
Old 21st November 2019, 11:36 AM   #193
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Good Food From Evil People
Old 21st November 2019, 11:40 AM   #194
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Good Food From Evil People
Adequate Food From People Of Varying Degrees Of Good And Evil Because Just Working Somewhere Doesn't Make One Responsible For Everything A Company Does.
Old 21st November 2019, 11:41 AM   #195
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Hellbound View Post
Dead Bird
We don't guarantee that at CCC2BE10BHP.
Old 21st November 2019, 11:42 AM   #196
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Breasts, Legs, and Thighs for Your Mouth
Old 21st November 2019, 11:51 AM   #197
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Adequate Food From People Of Varying Degrees Of Good And Evil Because Just Working Somewhere Doesn't Make One Responsible For Everything A Company Does.
My understanding is that it's not even the company doing it. It's the owners doing it with their private money (which comes in part from the company they own).
Old 21st November 2019, 11:51 AM   #198
DuvalHMFIC
Graduate Poster

The folks that came up with the name were from Georgia, let's not overthink the situation.
Old 21st November 2019, 11:53 AM   #199
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

My understanding is that it's not even the company doing it. It's the owners doing it with their private money (which comes in part from the company they own).
And the people most vocal about CfA = Evil have no trouble shopping at Menards, I've noticed, which gets up to much crazier stuff directly in the company itself.
Old 21st November 2019, 12:05 PM   #200
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

And the people most vocal about CfA = Evil have no trouble shopping at Menards, I've noticed, which gets up to much crazier stuff directly in the company itself.
Never heard of Menards. I did see a Hobby Lobby TV commercial (first one I've ever seen) recently, so apparently people are cool with their nonsense, too.
Babbylonian is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events