ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags boycott incidents , Chick-fil-A , UK incidents

Old 21st November 2019, 12:06 PM   #201
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Babbylonian View Post
Never heard of Menards. I did see a Hobby Lobby TV commercial (first one I've ever seen) recently, so apparently people are cool with their nonsense, too.
Hobby Lobby should be destroyed for that horrible name alone!
Old 21st November 2019, 12:46 PM   #202
ArchSas
Thinker

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Hobby Lobby is actually pretty terrible as a craft store, too (IMO). I've known lots of people that love it and defend it (even while criticizing the awful ties), and I've seriously never understood why. Even when talking with these people, they've never really provided good reasons (other than regular coupons, which every other chain craft store also offers). Hobby Lobby tends to be more expensive than other craft stores and have more limited selection, resulting in them relying way too much on selling their own brand of various items, which are always more expensive and worse (quality and material-wise) than what you can get everywhere else. I also dislike the layout.

The thing I obviously hate most about them is the involvement with illegal antiquities and using them for a religious museum, but it still bothers me that they fail so hard at actually being good at what they're supposed to do. I've never had one, but least Chic Fil-a sandwiches are supposed to be good.
ArchSas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2019, 12:54 PM   #203
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

And the people most vocal about CfA = Evil have no trouble shopping at Menards
I have no idea how one would even go about gathering that kind of data. Are you using some kind of phone survey? Cross-referencing Facebook posts with credit card transactions? However you're doing it, kudos. You should consider patenting your method before Google or Amazon eats your lunch. Also, try to cash out before the government tightens up its regulations on this kind of data mining.

Last edited by theprestige; 21st November 2019 at 12:56 PM.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2019, 12:56 PM   #204
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
I have no idea how one would even go about gathering that kind of data.
I based it off coworkers who gave me **** for eating CfA but they would shop at Menards themselves. Both places are nearby my former office.
Old 21st November 2019, 12:57 PM   #205
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by ArchSas View Post
Hobby Lobby is actually pretty terrible as a craft store, too (IMO). I've known lots of people that love it and defend it (even while criticizing the awful ties), and I've seriously never understood why. Even when talking with these people, they've never really provided good reasons (other than regular coupons, which every other chain craft store also offers). Hobby Lobby tends to be more expensive than other craft stores and have more limited selection, resulting in them relying way too much on selling their own brand of various items, which are always more expensive and worse (quality and material-wise) than what you can get everywhere else. I also dislike the layout.

The thing I obviously hate most about them is the involvement with illegal antiquities and using them for a religious museum, but it still bothers me that they fail so hard at actually being good at what they're supposed to do. I've never had one, but least Chic Fil-a sandwiches are supposed to be good.
I like Michael's. They seem to truly understand glitter and my needs for glitter.
Old 21st November 2019, 12:58 PM   #206
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
I have no idea how one would even go about gathering that kind of data. Are you using some kind of phone survey? Cross-referencing Facebook posts with credit card transactions? However you're doing it, kudos. You should consider patenting your method before Google or Amazon eats your lunch. Also, try to cash out before the government tightens up its regulations on this kind of data mining.
Not everything everybody posts is a scientific proposition they're trying to defend. Chillax.
Old 21st November 2019, 02:26 PM   #207
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

I like Michael's. They seem to truly understand glitter and my needs for glitter.
Michael's is a vastly better crafts store then Hobby Lobby. And I don't have to deal with huge displays of right wing/Christian Fundy books that Hobby Lobby has.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2019, 02:39 PM   #208
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Not everything everybody posts is a scientific proposition they're trying to defend. Chillax.
Okay, sure. You made a broad-brush generalization about everyone who protests CFA. What you meant was you knew one or two people who happened to match the description. I'm totally chill, but also calling that out. Don't feel like you have to defend it, though. Or even get defensive about it.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2019, 05:00 AM   #209
Information Analyst
Penultimate Amazing

Glitter is a menace, and should always be stored safely.

Information Analyst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2019, 05:08 AM   #210
Matthew Best
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Hellbound View Post
Dead Bird
We already have this, though.
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2019, 05:37 AM   #211
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Information Analyst View Post

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...7cdbd7463a.jpg
It's actually not that difficult to control if you harness the awesome power of nature! Rub a balloon against your shirt then wave it over the spilled glitter. Static electricity will snatch it up! *The More You Know*
Old 22nd November 2019, 07:02 AM   #212
Information Analyst
Penultimate Amazing

It's actually not that difficult to control if you harness the awesome power of nature! Rub a balloon against your shirt then wave it over the spilled glitter. Static electricity will snatch it up! *The More You Know*
But then the balloon bursts, and where does that leave everyone? Covered in glitters, that's what!
Information Analyst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2019, 07:05 AM   #213
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

But then the balloon bursts, and where does that leave everyone? Covered in glitters, that's what!
You shove the balloon through the dog door of your unpleasant neighbors. The dog attacks it, and the glitter explosion happens inside their house.
Old 22nd November 2019, 07:28 AM   #214
Tolls
Illuminator

There speaks the voice of experience...
Tolls is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2019, 08:11 AM   #215
sphenisc
Illuminator

Was this meant for the Epstein thread?
Old 22nd November 2019, 09:18 AM   #216
Information Analyst
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by sphenisc View Post
Was this meant for the Epstein thread?

Although I confess the pun genuinely did not occur to me at the time.
Old 22nd November 2019, 09:54 AM   #217
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

I know they pronounce the T in fillet and valet, but what about buffet? The dining arrangement, not the series of blows.
If you're referring to cleaning a car interior then some people pronounce the 't', but if you're referring to a "gentleman's gentleman" (Thank you TragicMonkey, no comment required) such as Jeeves from "Jeeves & Wooster" then it's silent.

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2019, 11:05 AM   #218
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Deputy Admin

Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer View Post
If you're referring to cleaning a car interior then some people pronounce the 't', but if you're referring to a "gentleman's gentleman" (Thank you TragicMonkey, no comment required) such as Jeeves from "Jeeves & Wooster" then it's silent.
It shouldn't be.
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2019, 11:18 AM   #219
Mumbles
Philosopher

The name "Hobby Lobby" actually refers to the fact that they're a lobbying firm that primarily advocates for anti-LBGT legislation and repeal of certain import/export laws related to antiquities.
Mumbles is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2019, 02:46 PM   #220
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Chick-Fil-A hates Christians!
According to Ted Cruz.
Old 30th November 2019, 03:56 PM   #221
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Chik-fil-A sells out to Satan.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2019, 04:40 PM   #222
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
Chik-fil-A sells out to Satan.
At least Satan wouldn't use heat lamps.
Old 2nd December 2019, 06:11 AM   #223
SuburbanTurkey
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Chick-Fil-A hates Christians!
According to Ted Cruz.
Seems like a pretty lame critique, but I hope that the evangelical backlash is intense. Let it be another lesson to everyone that the evangelical right is pure poison and no one should get into bed with them.
Old 8th December 2019, 01:24 PM   #224
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
Do people here research every company they do business with?

Ever buy anything made in China? Then there's a good chance you "support" slavery, including children, and many other human rights abuses.

Oh you don't ask? You just won't go to this restaurant because you happen to know where they donate their money because it was in the news. The other businesses - well you just don't have time to look them all up.

I guess it isn't actually that important to you is it? It's only important when other people know too and they see you go in.

The guy that owns the bar, the woman who runs the liquor store, the guy who fixes your call, all upstanding citizens who think just like you do, right?

No, you just don't ask. You didn't ask at Chik-Fil-A either. You were told by CNN.

Nobody is perfect (agrees with everything you think). But like any good religious follower you will pick and choose what really matters to you and ignore whatever would make your life too inconvenient.

What if you're in a strange town and hungry? Are you going to ask around and find out what restaurants support which causes? You should if you care so much.

Who here likes In-N-Out burger (not me)? Ever see those religious phrases printed on the bottom of their cups?

Better run! Someone might see you go in, which is what you really care about. It's okay because In-N-Out may not like you either if they knew more about you.

My point: I just think people are silly and too full of themselves.
Pretty much my take on it all.

If you knew the ins and outs of every person who ever served you food in a restaurant, cafe or shop, you'd probably be boycotting shops left and right. If people want to boycott this sort of thing, that's up to them, but if I'm hungry on the high street then I don't really give a toss if it's Bill Cosby selling sandwiches at Subway, I'm getting a chicken and bacon ranch and I'm going to enjoy it in a similar fashion as I would if it had been served to me by a nude Liv Tyler.

Scouse saying - Go 'ed, is right, nice one, boss, well in, sound, belter, made up.

Usage: 'Go 'ed, lad, get us an ale in, nice one.'
Gilbert Syndrome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events