ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 21st November 2019, 01:29 AM   #1
3point14
Pi

Youtube/Sony - A Class Act

Matt Lowne makes youtube vids about KSP.

Just to be sure, he uses the official Youtube library for his soundtrack. (Seems sensible huh?)

Sony ATV have just copyright claimed every single video he's made.

https://twitter.com/Matt_Lowne/statu...73518415945728

Maximum class from Sony and from Youtube.

I wonder how much money Youtube will lose when it's chased away all it's content creators (and audience) with this ****. (It'll probably be fine, annoyingly)

Is there a viable alternative on the horizon?

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2019, 04:08 AM   #2
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

I wonder what KSP is
Old 21st November 2019, 04:25 AM   #3
Hungry81
Master Poster

Kerbal Space Program?

I watch KSP videos by Scott Manley

https://youtu.be/3_oMwlTDuiA.

Anyhow Sony do seem to enjoy doing periodic self destructive and assholish things.
Hungry81 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2019, 05:04 AM   #4
Manger Douse
Critical Thinker

Sony are claiming it's a different song - I'm assuming there's a loop or something that's similar and their software has automatically picked that up?

I'm more interested in YouTubes (lack of) response though
Manger Douse is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2019, 06:21 AM   #5
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by 3point14 View Post
Matt Lowne makes youtube vids about KSP.

Just to be sure, he uses the official Youtube library for his soundtrack. (Seems sensible huh?)

Sony ATV have just copyright claimed every single video he's made.

https://twitter.com/Matt_Lowne/statu...73518415945728

Maximum class from Sony and from Youtube.

I wonder how much money Youtube will lose when it's chased away all it's content creators (and audience) with this ****. (It'll probably be fine, annoyingly)

Is there a viable alternative on the horizon?
Whenever I head "content creator" I think of "job creator". It's a euphemism in both cases. Most Youtube videos are about people filming their stream of thought, or cute animals, or other such pointless but enjoyable nonsense. And even for the more thoughtful channels, I'd hesitate to call speaking into a mic 'creating content'. It can be very valuable content, but I prefer the simpler term "Youtuber". It seems less self-important.

Rant over.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2019, 06:29 AM   #6
Manger Douse
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Whenever I head "content creator" I think of "job creator". It's a euphemism in both cases. Most Youtube videos are about people filming their stream of thought, or cute animals, or other such pointless but enjoyable nonsense. And even for the more thoughtful channels, I'd hesitate to call speaking into a mic 'creating content'. It can be very valuable content, but I prefer the simpler term "Youtuber". It seems less self-important.

Rant over.
He does create very cool spaceships on Kerbal Space Program tho
Manger Douse is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2019, 06:38 AM   #7
3point14
Pi

Rant over.

I thinik, in this instance, he's definitely creating. Think Virtual space Lego with accurate physics.

He is definitely creating, you do him a disservice by implying that he's not.

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2019, 06:41 AM   #8
rockysmith76
Suspended

Originally Posted by Hungry81 View Post
Kerbal Space Program?

Anyhow Sony do seem to enjoy doing periodic self destructive and assholish things.
They are the poster child for how the entire Music Industry is nothing but a Parasitic organism that is at war with its Customer base etc.
rockysmith76 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2019, 06:42 AM   #9
Lithrael
Graduate Poster

There are a lot of those but also folks doing great informative essays, documentaries, how to videos, etc (though yeah some of them look like they are gonna be a how to video and then it’s just ‘here’s my car I’m gonna do work on later, see ya’ ???)

For the example, the guy that does Defunctland just wrapped up an amazing Jim Henson retrospective series as good as anything on TV.
Lithrael is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2019, 06:57 AM   #10
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by rockysmith76 View Post
They are the poster child for how the entire Music Industry is nothing but a Parasitic organism that is at war with its Customer base etc.
Not to mention, the artists too. They've been getting ripped off for decades.
Old 21st November 2019, 07:09 AM   #11
Manger Douse
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
Not to mention, the artists too. They've been getting ripped off for decades.

They copied a track* from the Underground Resistance record label - basically reproducing it note by note - because the artist wouldn't sign to them. Sony's reply was literally "We are sorry we hurt your feelings"

https://www.hotpress.com/music/resis...-futile-391978

* - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdqROEmZ74k
Old 21st November 2019, 07:25 AM   #12
carlitos
"más divertido"

Rant over.
That's the beauty of capitalism. It takes stuff that happens anyway and makes it part of the economy.

Land = real estate
Under the land = mineral rights
Unboxing running shorts = youtube content

ETA - Khalid Sheikh Pohammed?, Kinetic Sensory Perception?
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2019, 07:47 AM   #13
rockysmith76
Suspended

Oh knock it off. I did no such thing. I'm saying that as a general term for people who upload videos on Youtube, it is misleading or at least not very useful. That's not to say that no one there creates useful and original content.
You're rabbitholing away from the OP's point: The You Tuber used a song in good faith from YT's Copyright free Music library, and got Copyrighted by SONY anyway.
From Techdirt.com; apparently there was a piece of a copyrighted song in the song used, presumably unknowingly by the Youtuber, making it You Tube's mistake, not the Youtuber's.
rockysmith76 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2019, 07:48 AM   #14
rockysmith76
Suspended

Added to which, the Copyright claim against EVERY one of the guy's video's by SONY is a typically overly draconian reaction on their part highlighting why the Music Industry is parasitic in the first place.
Old 21st November 2019, 07:51 AM   #15
carlitos
"más divertido"

Kerbal Space Program?
I thought that you were joking but I think that's it.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2019, 09:05 AM   #16
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

Hmmm, I was going to say there are 120 year old recordings around that are copyright free. Use those. Tell SONY "I didn't copy you, I copied Caruso".

Only 88 notes in the musical world, there is a finite number of possibilities. What will happen when ALL combinations are copyrighted? oooo ooo ooo, money making idea- program a computer to make all combinations of ohh, 6 of the 88? Copyright the whole tome as a 'score', and go after EVERYBODY.

But more here-and-now, I've only been watching on Utube for a year. Seems like even in that time the big boys have learned of it's revenue stream. Full seasons of TV show are for 'sale', or whole movies. How long before they drive out the little guy's videos? Currently many clip tapes are like trailers. Good for everybody.

But how can the little guys like the OP protect themselves? They need to band together in to a huge association to get enough lawyers to fight Sony and Disney? Or maybe UTube will grow some balls- In case like the OP, review and tell SONY 'not this time'.
casebro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2019, 09:34 AM   #17
3point14
Pi

Originally Posted by casebro View Post
Hmmm, I was going to say there are 120 year old recordings around that are copyright free. Use those. Tell SONY "I didn't copy you, I copied Caruso".

Only 88 notes in the musical world, there is a finite number of possibilities. What will happen when ALL combinations are copyrighted? oooo ooo ooo, money making idea- program a computer to make all combinations of ohh, 6 of the 88? Copyright the whole tome as a 'score', and go after EVERYBODY.

But more here-and-now, I've only been watching on Utube for a year. Seems like even in that time the big boys have learned of it's revenue stream. Full seasons of TV show are for 'sale', or whole movies. How long before they drive out the little guy's videos? Currently many clip tapes are like trailers. Good for everybody.

But how can the little guys like the OP protect themselves? They need to band together in to a huge association to get enough lawyers to fight Sony and Disney? Or maybe UTube will grow some balls- In case like the OP, review and tell SONY 'not this time'.

It may be time to abandon the 12 tone scale. If we all start writing in 16 tone scale then the heirs of songwriters (often it's not the talent that cares, it's those with no interest i the music) couldn't frivolously sue based on the 'expert' testimony of a paid witness.

Old 21st November 2019, 05:06 PM   #18
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
That's the beauty of capitalism. It takes stuff that happens anyway and makes it part of the economy.

Land = real estate
Under the land = mineral rights
Unboxing running shorts = youtube content
I was amazed when I learned just how popular some "unboxing" youtube channels are with kids. Seriously. These channels, all they do to create content is order toys and when they arrive, they make an unboxing video.

There's lots of dreck on youtube, but some pretty good stuff too. And the quality of some channels has improved with time (people get better at what they do with practice, duh.)

Ever wonder how fine art is restored?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ON7mhkSwTIk

It's a very well-produced video by a professional art restorer. Well edited. The restoration of a painting in 8 minutes (of course the actual process took much longer but the finished video is 8 minutes).

There's channels to nerd out on like Vsauce, which has also gotten quite professional in its production quality.

Last edited by Puppycow; 21st November 2019 at 05:09 PM.
Puppycow is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2019, 01:09 PM   #19
8enotto
Graduate Poster

Not to worry, YouTube themselves are forcing an upgrade that requires a Google acct. They just knocked me back off on all my phones.

Basically accept unlimited data mining and you get a wonderful new version that does nothing more for you than the last one did.
Or don't have access at all.

Bye bye YouTube.
8enotto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2019, 02:33 PM   #20
Elagabalus
Illuminator

Kerbal Space Program?

In addition to making the finest mirrorless cameras known to man!*

*Unlike the Fuji and Panasonic dogswallop! And don't get me started on the latest fails from CaniKon™!!

Yes! Of course, this is a joke!

You see, had the OP mentioned Scott Manley I would have been like, KSP? Kerbal Space Program!

Matt Lowne+KSP=Brain Crickets. YMMV, of course.
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2019, 05:17 AM   #21
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by 3point14 View Post
He is definitely creating, you do him a disservice by implying that he's not.
Everybody creates.

But putting videos of your cat, which is at the level of most of Youtube's content, shouldn't be labeled as such, at the very least, in my opinion. That's the point I was trying to make.

In any case it's been known for years that Youtube's ridiculous content 'policing' is wholly inadequate. It routinely ignores fair use and sometimes even automatically accepts spurrious claims. It's definitely a reflexive system designed to protect Google from suits, rather than protecting channel owners; call them content-creators if you want.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Last edited by Belz...; 28th November 2019 at 05:19 AM.
Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events