ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 30th November 2019, 04:57 PM   #161
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by p0lka View Post
depends how you define being in the top 5%, some people might define that as being rich.
That's on point. I have been right up there in the high flying fraternity, and have climbed down from there into homelessness. That lends a certain perspective.

Thankfully, I am all good now, but it was a lot of hard work to get there. I envy not anyone starting out that road. But I would do whatever I could to help them.

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2019, 11:31 PM   #162
Roboramma
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Information Analyst View Post
He made a reference to income in relation to class in the US.
No, he erroneously used the term "middle class" in a post talking about wealth and income. He admitted that error. I certainly accepted that it was a minor error, but object only the idea that the point he was making wasn't clear.

I asked several times if anyone took issue with the actual point he was making, and instead you and others just keep saying that he shouldn't have said "middle class", which was never in question.

The very fact that his use of the term middle class was corrected is clear evidence that everyone knew that he wasn't talking about class.

Quote:
I merely pointed out after the others that if he was talking about income, he should have referred only to income.
A point which I agreed to, more than once.

Quote:
Saying, "poor, middle-class, and rich" makes little sense because it implies middle class people cannot be either or poor or rich, or that only people who are not middle class can be either. Lots of working class people are not poor; some can be relatively rich. Middle class people can be poor, comfortable, well off, or rich. So can upper class people.
And if you simply substitute "middle income" for "middle class" in his post everything becomes clear. Which is my only point here. At no point have I suggested that that substitution wouldn't have improved his post. I have only pointed out that the error was very clear and the actual thing he was trying to say is easy to read in the post.

Quote:
This seems to be classic example of Americans projecting their own world view, but when asked not to do that, they double down and make it far more of an issue than it was. It's just cultural arrogance.
I'm not American.

I'm Canadian but have been living in Asia for my entire adult life (close to 20 years now, between Hong Kong, India, and mostly China). I certainly don't claim intimate knowledge about the UK, but I do think that it's easy to understand that in a post explicitly discussing wealth he was talking about wealth and not social class.

Quote:
Then someone comes in with a brainless comment about a 30-odd year old sitcom, as if that's somehow relevant (at the time, let alone now). Maybe next time we should respond with some bollocks about Sanford and Son, but I daresay most Americans would miss the supreme irony of such a reference.
I'm a little lost here.
"... when people thought the Earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the Earth was spherical they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the Earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the Earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together."
Isaac Asimov
Roboramma is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2019, 08:47 AM   #163
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Roboramma View Post
I'm a little lost here.
1. Someone didn't like my joke, 2. Sanford and Son was an American remake of a British show called Steptoe and Son.
Old 1st December 2019, 10:10 AM   #164
Information Analyst
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
1. Someone didn't like my joke, 2. Sanford and Son was an American remake of a British show called Steptoe and Son.
OK, that's makes you officially not one of the "most Americans [who] would miss the supreme irony of such a reference." I'll give you that.
Information Analyst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2019, 11:09 AM   #165
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Information Analyst View Post
OK, that's makes you officially not one of the "most Americans [who] would miss the supreme irony of such a reference." I'll give you that.
There's a second irony in this: I first heard of Steptoe because Mrs Slocombe referenced it once.
Old 1st December 2019, 11:48 AM   #166
Information Analyst
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
There's a second irony in this: I first heard of Steptoe because Mrs Slocombe referenced it once.
Steptoe is the better series, though.
Information Analyst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events