ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 27th November 2019, 03:03 PM   #41
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Deputy Admin

Originally Posted by CORed View Post
The machetes are really dull, and they don't know how to sharpen them?

I don't know, it seems that even a dull machete would be heavy enough to cause some significant blunt trauma.
Well, thatís a win for our anti-knife-crime laws, I guess. I bought a knife sharpener the other day, and had to have my age verified.
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2019, 03:07 PM   #42
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Deputy Admin

Originally Posted by CaptainHowdy View Post
It's hard to tell from the photographs that have been published but since there aren't any clear photographs of anybody who appears to be indigenous British (except for police officers) and the news reports don't specifically say that the "youths" involved were indigenous British, it's safe to assume they were not. Not that it really matters. But that would explain the use of machetes.
Are you labouring under the misapprehension that it’s possible to tell if someone is ‘indigenous’ British by looking at them?

ETA: I’m not even sure there is such a thing as indigenous British. Are you aware of the history of the British Isles?
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20

Last edited by zooterkin; 27th November 2019 at 03:09 PM.
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2019, 04:55 PM   #43
Arcade22
Philosopher

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
Tea and biscuits.
Don't these dumbass punks know that it's not the size of your knife that matters, but rather how you use it? Taking incriminating photographs of yourself in possession of weapons in public is certainly not making good use of them.

Last edited by Arcade22; 27th November 2019 at 04:56 PM.
Arcade22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2019, 05:02 PM   #44
Arcade22
Philosopher

Originally Posted by zooterkin View Post
Are you labouring under the misapprehension that it’s possible to tell if someone is ‘indigenous’ British by looking at them?

ETA: I’m not even sure there is such a thing as indigenous British. Are you aware of the history of the British Isles?
If his post is anything to go by you don't even have to look at them. Just looking at the kind of knife they are using is apparently a good enough way to establish their ancestry.

Machetes ain't British apparently, although i watched a British TV show (with real bobbies doing bobby things). The cops were looking for a guy with a machete, and who was allegedly on the hunt for drug dealers, but he looked indigenous British white. Must have been a pole i guess. Hard to tell them apart if you can't see their teeth...

Last edited by Arcade22; 27th November 2019 at 05:08 PM.
Arcade22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2019, 09:19 AM   #45
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
The best machetes are indigenous British ones.
The indigenous British machete is the 'Bill Hook' which is a slightly different beast but goes back to the bronze age. I have a cheap modern one and one that was made at some point between the mid-Victorian era and 1950s (I help out at a nature reserve and they're good for clearing bushes and small to medium branches. They're heavy buggers and I really wouldn't want to be hit with one, but a fascinating tool with lots of regional variations.

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2019, 09:21 AM   #46
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by zooterkin View Post
Are you labouring under the misapprehension that itís possible to tell if someone is Ďindigenousí British by looking at them?

ETA: Iím not even sure there is such a thing as indigenous British. Are you aware of the history of the British Isles?
Watch out, we already have one five page digression into the meaning of the word 'indigenous '.

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events