ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags immigration issues

Old 29th November 2019, 10:52 AM   #1
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

ICE to Catholics: Go to Hell

I'm no fan of the RC church, but I'm even less so of the racist Trump administration.
The priest at the local church has been ordered to be out of the country by tomorrow. He's a native of Ghana, and has been here since 2014. His religious visa has expired. He and the Church have been working on getting him an extension for about a year and have basically been stonewalled by ICE. The fact that many in his parish are Spanish-speaking immigrants probably doesn't help.
I can't help thinking that if he was a Protestant fundamentalist from northern Europe there'd have been no delay.

I'd link to the local paper but it's paywalled.
Old 29th November 2019, 11:04 AM   #2
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Excerpt from the article:
Quote:
In order not to jeopardize his green card application, Adoko-Enchill must be out of the United States by the deadline, McHattie said. “If he overstays (the Dec. 1 expiration on his current permission) he can be deported and he would not be able to get back in.”

“They have been working on getting his visa approved for 10 months. They have had no response from Immigration, period, in that time,” said McHattie, who is a U.S. Justice Department-accredited representative to help people with immigration paperwork.

“He supports us,” parishioner Natalia Guevara said of the nearly 200 church members who attend the Spanish-language service he conducts at Star of the Sea. “Everybody was crying,” she said. “He was open to let us share with him our lives, not just like a priest, but like a friend.”
Church Website
Old 29th November 2019, 12:43 PM   #3
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
I'm no fan of the RC church, but I'm even less so of the racist Trump administration.
The priest at the local church has been ordered to be out of the country by tomorrow. He's a native of Ghana, and has been here since 2014. His religious visa has expired. He and the Church have been working on getting him an extension for about a year and have basically been stonewalled by ICE. The fact that many in his parish are Spanish-speaking immigrants probably doesn't help.
I can't help thinking that if he was a Protestant fundamentalist from northern Europe there'd have been no delay.

That's what you get when you're born in a predominantly black/brown nation. If it's also a poor one, best not to even apply for a tourist visa.
Babbylonian is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2019, 02:17 PM   #4
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Babbylonian View Post
That's what you get when you're born in a predominantly black/brown nation. If it's also a poor one, best not to even apply for a tourist visa.
******** countries, and all that.
Old 29th November 2019, 02:22 PM   #5
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

You think Trump's base considers him to be a christian? The man is a papist!
Old 29th November 2019, 02:24 PM   #6
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

https://www.uscis.gov/working-united...igious-workers

"USCIS may grant R-1 status for an initial period of admission for up to 30 months. Subsequent extensions may be granted for up to an additional 30 months. The religious worker’s total period of stay in the United States in R-1 classification cannot exceed five years (60 months)."

If he's been here since 2014 on an R-1 visa, that's 5 years. He's not eligible for an R-1 visa extension. He may be trying to get a permanent visa, and there is one for religious workers:

I have no idea what the standard time line for visa applications of this sort are, so I have no way of knowing whether this is a typical delay or out of the ordinary.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2019, 02:32 PM   #7
mgidm86
Philosopher

No link to the story. No word about ICE's position on this. Just a link to the church. Could there be more to the story, fellow critical thinkers? I'm seeing a pretty big fallacy or two in this thread.

Perhaps they have good reasons for this? Surely some people that are deported should be.

I await more info.

And ya, nobody is ever let in from "brown" countries.
Old 29th November 2019, 02:39 PM   #8
Elagabalus
Illuminator

******** countries, and all that.
Now hold on, the official language of Ghana is English so there's still hope ...
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2019, 03:56 PM   #9
Giz
Philosopher

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
No link to the story. No word about ICE's position on this. Just a link to the church. Could there be more to the story, fellow critical thinkers? I'm seeing a pretty big fallacy or two in this thread.
This is hardly a forum of critical thinking.
Giz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2019, 04:28 PM   #10
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

One would think the Catholic Church and the INS would have worked out a system to handle all these matters, what with them both possessing enormous bureaucracies and this being pretty standard operational stuff for both of them.
Old 29th November 2019, 04:39 PM   #11
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

No link to the story.
Angels and Ministers of Grace defend us! Did you actually READ the OP... at all...... just a little bit!?

Here let me help you

https://www.ptleader.com/stories/pt-...country,66497?

(you get four free articles before you have to pay)

Sometimes, I just despair at the level of...... oh, never mind!

Last edited by smartcooky; 29th November 2019 at 04:45 PM.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2019, 04:41 PM   #12
Stout
Illuminator

https://www.ptleader.com/stories/pt-...-country,66497

Wasn't paywalled for me.
Stout is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2019, 04:42 PM   #13
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Here's the link. It's paywalled, you'll have to subscribe to read the story. I can get it because we subscribe to the dead-tree version.
Old 29th November 2019, 04:55 PM   #14
Stout
Illuminator

Here's the link. It's paywalled, you'll have to subscribe to read the story. I can get it because we subscribe to the dead-tree version.
Clear your cookies, you have 4 free items.
Stout is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2019, 05:08 PM   #15
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stout View Post
Clear your cookies, you have 4 free items.
Cool. I signed up now anyhow.
Old 29th November 2019, 09:04 PM   #16
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

So according to Treb, Ghana = Hell.

I can't argue.
casebro is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2019, 11:20 PM   #17
Sherkeu
Graduate Poster

I just looked at the wait times for processing in WA state (Seattle is closest to him). It is 10-19.5 months. Other areas of the state are up to 2 years. They only applied 10 months ago so what is the case for him to jump the line? Do priests normally get fast-tracked before other applicants?

Seems like a case of just not applying early enough.
Sherkeu is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2019, 11:40 PM   #18
jakesteele
Fait Accompli

How, exactly, is the Trump administration racist?

Life is God’s funniest joke
And we are the punchline
jakesteele is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2019, 12:01 AM   #19
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

You are blaming one persons immigration issue directly to the president?

Awesome
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2019, 12:02 AM   #20
Elagabalus
Illuminator

Originally Posted by jakesteele View Post
Nice one, Jake, CullenNz! Keep doing what you're doing ...
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2019, 12:34 AM   #21
dann
Philosopher

Like this:

The Creepy Racist Network Behind Trump Aide Stephen Miller (Daily Beast, Nov. 29, 2019)
Trump aide Stephen Miller told Bannon immigration would 'decimate' America (Guardian, Nov. 22, 2019)
Steephen Miller Is a White Nationalist. Does It Matter? (NYT, Nov. 18, 2019)

Full Frontal: Stephen Miller Is Garbage And Needs To Be Fired Immediately
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

The Late Show: Stephen Miller's Even More Extreme Immigration Ideas
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2019, 02:00 AM   #22
mgidm86
Philosopher

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Angels and Ministers of Grace defend us! Did you actually READ the OP... at all...... just a little bit!?

Here let me help you

https://www.ptleader.com/stories/pt-...country,66497?

(you get four free articles before you have to pay)

Sometimes, I just despair at the level of...... oh, never mind!

As do I, so spare me your drama and insults.

Ya I read the OP, what little content it contains.

What exactly is paywalled, there's no link? Why would I think I'd be able to see the story even if I knew where it was? Is it the only version on the internet?

I'm not going to go out of my way to do my own research when the OP can't bother (no offense Treb). I don't often agree with people here so there's little reason for me to do that. Sometimes I do anyways.

I mean gee, another "ICE is bad" thread at ISF. How tedious. Let me get right on that!

I know a lot of people here hate ICE and I know gawdamned well that people will respond without reading the article, wherever it may be, because ICE = bad and yada yada.

I will admit that I really don't care much about this forum anymore and I'm sure my attitude shows it these days.
Old 30th November 2019, 03:52 AM   #23
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post

Awesome
That is the criteria used by the POTUS to ascribe responsibility and blame so surely we should apply the president's standards?
Old 30th November 2019, 03:54 AM   #24
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Insults?

Then you will have seen that Trebuchet said he didn't post a link because it was paywalled, right? Which makes me wonder why you posted this....

What exactly is paywalled?
It means you would not be able to read any linked article without paying for a subscription.

there's no link?
Yeah, I think Trebuchet already said that, in the OP you read

Why would I think I'd be able to see the story even if I knew where it was? Is it the only version on the internet?
I don't know. Is it?

I'm not going to go out of my way to do my own research when the OP can't bother (no offense Treb). I don't often agree with people here so there's little reason for me to do that. Sometimes I do anyways.
Your choice. Don't blame everyone else for your choice

I mean gee, another "ICE is bad" thread at ISF. How tedious. Let me get right on that!

I know a lot of people here hate ICE and I know gawdamned well that people will respond without reading the article, wherever it may be, because ICE = bad and yada yada.
Well, if you didn't care, why did you even bother to reply?

Was it just so you could have a whinge?

I will admit that I really don't care much about this forum anymore and I'm sure my attitude shows it these days.
Yes, it does.

If you don't like it here, no-one is keeping you!
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2019, 05:38 AM   #25
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

What exactly is paywalled, there's no link? Why would I think I'd be able to see the story even if I knew where it was? Is it the only version on the internet?

^^^^ that.
casebro is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2019, 01:10 PM   #26
catsmate
No longer the 1

Here you go, two hundred examples. Not that you'd dare to actually read them...
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2019, 10:32 PM   #27
Doghouse Reilly
Adrift on an uncharted sea

Originally Posted by catsmate View Post
I'm not taking a position on whether Trump is racist or not, but most of those "examples" were pretty tenuous and not proof of racism, and the website is obviously pushing an agenda of its own so is hardly an objective source.
Doghouse Reilly is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2019, 10:43 PM   #28
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

I'm just amused that this somehow gets translated as "Ice to Catholics: Go to Hell." I assume it's intended as a clever play on the old "Ford to City: Drop Dead," headline that appeared in the NY Post many years ago.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2019, 11:44 PM   #29
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Far out

If you want to show a point, that site is the worst way to do it.
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2019, 03:28 AM   #30
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Trump can't be called a Racist unless he is walking around publicly in Klan-robes, we understand.
Old 1st December 2019, 04:08 AM   #31
bluesjnr
Professional Nemesis for Hire

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Trump can't be called a Racist unless he is walking around publicly in Klan-robes, we understand.
You got that? ^

Far out

From this? ^
bluesjnr is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2019, 04:30 AM   #32
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by bluesjnr View Post
You got that? ^

From this? ^
rather from this:

Originally Posted by dann View Post
Like this:

The Creepy Racist Network Behind Trump Aide Stephen Miller (Daily Beast, Nov. 29, 2019)
Trump aide Stephen Miller told Bannon immigration would 'decimate' America (Guardian, Nov. 22, 2019)
Steephen Miller Is a White Nationalist. Does It Matter? (NYT, Nov. 18, 2019)

Full Frontal: Stephen Miller Is Garbage And Needs To Be Fired Immediately
I AGREE

The Late Show: Stephen Miller's Even More Extreme Immigration Ideas
I AGREE

Miller has been Trump's adviser from the start, and there is no indication that they aren't 100% in agreement - unlike everyone else, Trump has never publicly criticized Miller.
And there is no question that Miller is a White Nationalist.
Old 1st December 2019, 07:16 AM   #33
bluesjnr
Professional Nemesis for Hire

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
rather from this:

Miller has been Trump's adviser from the start, and there is no indication that they aren't 100% in agreement - unlike everyone else, Trump has never publicly criticized Miller.
And there is no question that Miller is a White Nationalist.
But you suggested that people were making a case that there was no evidence (or not enough) that Trump was racist and wrote, sarcastically I assume, that he "can't be called a Racist unless he is walking around publicly in Klan-robes, we understand".

Now you link to a post, in this very thread, that would indicate that you do feel that there is sufficient evidence in this thread to make the case that Trump is, in fact, a racist.

I hope you can understand why I'm confused? Your post looked like it was calling out Cullennz for something he never said.

By the way who are "we"?

Last edited by bluesjnr; 1st December 2019 at 08:23 AM.
bluesjnr is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2019, 08:46 AM   #34
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Trump was blatantly racist in his very first appearance as a candidate. But some, I suppose, are good people.
Old 1st December 2019, 09:21 AM   #35
ahhell
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post

"USCIS may grant R-1 status for an initial period of admission for up to 30 months. Subsequent extensions may be granted for up to an additional 30 months. The religious worker’s total period of stay in the United States in R-1 classification cannot exceed five years (60 months)."

If he's been here since 2014 on an R-1 visa, that's 5 years. He's not eligible for an R-1 visa extension. He may be trying to get a permanent visa, and there is one for religious workers:

I have no idea what the standard time line for visa applications of this sort are, so I have no way of knowing whether this is a typical delay or out of the ordinary.
Well, I think its best to assume that it would be easy if he weren't black.
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2019, 09:41 AM   #36
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ahhell View Post
Well, I think its best to assume that it would be easy if he weren't black.
Why would it be best to assume that?
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2019, 10:17 AM   #37
ahhell
Master Poster

That seems to be what everyone does. I was being sarcastic.

We probably don't have to assume, if not the majority then at least the plurality of Catholic priests and nuns in the US are foreign born, I bet the church could tell us or even INS could tell us.

Edit, I was wrong, a large minority are foreign born but not even a plurality.

Edit, like many political threads, this is dumb.
I shall paraphrase.
OP, here's an anecdote about a priest having trouble with immigration, it must be because ICE is racist because the priest is black.
A chorus of aggreement.
A few folks asking, so how do we know?
Answer, because trump is a racist and ICE is bad.

Why not look for actual evidence instead of assertion and anecdote. Meh, why, this isn't a forum of skeptics or anything.

Last edited by ahhell; 1st December 2019 at 10:29 AM.
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2019, 10:25 AM   #38
ahhell
Master Poster

Far out

Originally Posted by Doghouse Reilly View Post
I'm not taking a position on whether Trump is racist or not, but most of those "examples" were pretty tenuous and not proof of racism, and the website is obviously pushing an agenda of its own so is hardly an objective source.
It does seem to largely be a list of times that Trump and his administration has said things about immigration being bad.
Old 1st December 2019, 11:05 AM   #39
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Awesome
It's unfair yes but when dealing with Trump you don't have to be fair. He's not good enough for such considerations.
Old 1st December 2019, 11:06 AM   #40
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Because Trump and the subhuman goods he's installed at DHS are a bunch of filthy bigots.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events