ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 2nd December 2019, 08:33 PM   #1
qayak
Penultimate Amazing

Pictures With Satan

A little typo in my local paper reported that Satan would be on hand for pictures at the local Christmas Parade. And sure enough he is a demon of his word and was on hand in many incarnations.

https://www.sookenewsmirror.com/news...lowing-typo-2/

That's our claim to fame . . . I wonder if it will become a tradition.
Is all your life will ever be."
qayak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd December 2019, 09:45 PM   #2
mgidm86
Philosopher

That's a cool story thank you for sharing. Made me laugh and I needed that
Old 2nd December 2019, 10:18 PM   #3
Giz
Philosopher

I’d wrongly assumed this was going to be another Trump thread!
Giz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd December 2019, 10:20 PM   #4
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Can you take your god or is it a no pet photos with Satan policy
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd December 2019, 11:38 PM   #5
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Looked to me like he was wearing black- and red-face. Better hope he doesn't run for governor anywhere other than Virginia.
Brainster is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd December 2019, 11:50 PM   #6
Bob001
Philosopher

Originally Posted by qayak View Post
A little typo in my local paper reported that Satan would be on hand for pictures at the local Christmas Parade. And sure enough he is a demon of his word and was on hand in many incarnations.
When newspapers cut their staffs, copy editors are among the first to go because the bosses don't really understand what they do -- until something like this happens.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2019, 08:12 AM   #7
Armitage72
Illuminator

There was a short story I read, probably in The Magazine of Fantasy & Science Fiction in the late 80s/early 90s. It featured a little kid, and I think his widowed father had remarried and then died, leaving him with his drunken and neglectful stepmother and abusive older stepbrother. His stepbrother always mocked him for his mild dyslexia and beat him up. One December, he writes a letter to Santa, asking him to come and take his stepbrother away. The letter ends up saying "Dear Satan, Please take Billy away." His stepbrother takes the letter, taunts him for the misspelling, and throws it into the lit fireplace. Minutes later, there's the sound of heavy footsteps on the roof, the brickwork starts to bulge and crack as something enormous forces its way down the chimney, and a huge red scaled arm reaches out of the hearth and drags the stepbrother screaming out of sight. The story ends with the boy happily daydreaming about his stepmother also being dealt with by his new friend "Old Nick".
"Old" and "Saint" are almost the same.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2019, 08:52 AM   #8
Steve
Philosopher

https://www.sookenewsmirror.com/news...lowing-typo-2/

That's our claim to fame . . . I wonder if it will become a tradition.
My brother lives in Sooke. The guy in the photo in the linked article on the left with the grey beard looks a bit like him.
Old 4th December 2019, 09:29 AM   #9
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
My brother lives in Sooke. The guy in the photo in the linked article on the left with the grey beard looks a bit like him.
The event, however, was not in Sooke but in the Comox valley some distance away.
I like Sooke. We always seem to visit it when we do our annual trips to Victoria. I could see living there if Canada would allow me to immigrate.
Old 4th December 2019, 09:46 AM   #10
Steve
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
The event, however, was not in Sooke but in the Comox valley some distance away.
I like Sooke. We always seem to visit it when we do our annual trips to Victoria. I could see living there if Canada would allow me to immigrate.
Thanks. I was obviously just going by the linked newspaper name.

We have family in the Comox Valley too, but none of them look anything like the guys in the article.

I agree. Sooke area is very nice country.
Old 4th December 2019, 08:46 PM   #11
qayak
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Sorry, should have been more clear. The event happened in the Comox Valley where I live. I just linked to an article from a news agency in Sooke.
Is all your life will ever be."
qayak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2019, 09:31 PM   #12
Steve
Philosopher

Sorry, should have been more clear. The event happened in the Comox Valley where I live. I just linked to an article from a news agency in Sooke.
No problem. My mistake. I just looked at the name of the newspaper and the pictures.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events