ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags windows , windows 7

Old 15th January 2020, 01:35 PM   #41
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

To me the search box is like DOS. But I like it. I do not have to find what I want in an obscure menu, I just type what I want and there it is.
Old 15th January 2020, 02:54 PM   #42
JimOfAllTrades
Muse

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
I actually really like the Windows 10 start menu. Mostly because the search bar is all I use. I never look for control panel, or bounce around with multiple clicks. I type "update" in the bar and I get windows updates. People don't like the bar though too, I hear a lot of complaints about it. I do enjoy the double click nature of the start menu now too, if you do have to go navigating.

It's saved me a lot of questions around the office because it's fairly newbie friendly.
Very much true for me also, and has been since Windows 7. Just hit the Win key or click start, type in a few letters of what your looking for and there it is.

I have the dozen or app I use all day every day pinned to my task bar, another dozen or so slightly less used apps on my desktop, and the search bar get everything else.

Very simple, very fast and easy.
JimOfAllTrades is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th January 2020, 06:32 PM   #43
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

Windows 10 Enterprise edition is actually pretty good. Considerably more stable than some previous editions I've worked with, and staff don't appear to have had a great deal of trouble with the transition from 7. Of course, some staff transitioned via 8, which really does make 10 look good.

My mom told me she tries never to make fun of people for not knowing something.
- Randall Munroe
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th January 2020, 08:07 AM   #44
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
Windows 10 Enterprise edition is actually pretty good. Considerably more stable than some previous editions I've worked with, and staff don't appear to have had a great deal of trouble with the transition from 7. Of course, some staff transitioned via 8, which really does make 10 look good.
Windows 95 makes 8 look good.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th January 2020, 08:15 AM   #45
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Windows 8 is the most ignored Windows ever. Even Vista and ME I at least "saw in the wild" on occasions but I honestly can't remember ever seeing Windows 8 in any functional home or business enviroment, the entire world just seem to decide on mass to skip straight from 7 to 10.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th January 2020, 08:19 AM   #46
Wudang
BOFH

I had windows 8. That's what started me using alternatives to the start menu, it just sucked. Windows 10 gets it right.
Old 16th January 2020, 09:08 AM   #47
DuvalHMFIC
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Windows 8 is the most ignored Windows ever.
Windows 9 would like to have a word with you
Old 16th January 2020, 05:00 PM   #48
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Originally Posted by DuvalHMFIC View Post
Windows 9 would like to have a word with you
Windows 98 was a great operating system. It just came before Windows 7 and 8. Hence they had to skip to Windows 10.

Seriously a lot of code would not work if they had a Windows 9. The code would think it was Windows 98. So it was not ignored. It just did not exist.
Old 16th January 2020, 05:15 PM   #49
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Originally Posted by rjh01 View Post
Windows 98 was a great operating system. It just came before Windows 7 and 8. Hence they had to skip to Windows 10.

Seriously a lot of code would not work if they had a Windows 9. The code would think it was Windows 98. So it was not ignored. It just did not exist.

If it's so primitive, why didn't the code think it was Windows 95 when it actually was Windows 98?
Old 16th January 2020, 05:31 PM   #50
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Microsoft's great operating systems have been, in order:

Windows for Workgroups 3.11 over DOS 6.4
Windows 98 SE
Windows XP
Windows 7
Windows 10 Enterprise.

I haven't used Windows 10 Home but I've heard mixed reports.

That's been about it.

- Randall Munroe
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th January 2020, 05:53 PM   #51
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Microsoft's great operating systems have been, in order:

Windows for Workgroups 3.11 over DOS 6.4
Windows 98 SE
Windows XP
Windows 7
Windows 10 Enterprise.

I haven't used Windows 10 Home but I've heard mixed reports.

That's been about it.
MS-DOS 5.0 was my workhorse until Windows 95. The only thing I used WfW 3.11 for was the Windows version of Civilization which was vastly superior to the DOS version. Pirates! was pretty good on 3.11 as well.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th January 2020, 05:58 PM   #52
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by Babbylonian View Post
MS-DOS 5.0 was my workhorse until Windows 95. The only thing I used WfW 3.11 for was the Windows version of Civilization which was vastly superior to the DOS version. Pirates! was pretty good on 3.11 as well.
I've supported all of them in the workspace. All Windows version since WFW3.11, that is. Yes, that includes Me, Vista and 8.

- Randall Munroe
Old 16th January 2020, 06:10 PM   #53
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

I've supported all of them in the workspace. All Windows version since WFW3.11, that is. Yes, that includes Me, Vista and 8.
For all that I complain about IT/IS departments since I joined the workforce, I'm glad I was never subjected to the true trainwreck OSes on my work PCs over the years. It was pretty much 3.11-NT4-XP-7-10 with some DOS sprinkled for flavor during the 3.11-NT4 period.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th January 2020, 06:16 PM   #54
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

For all that I complain about IT/IS departments since I joined the workforce, I'm glad I was never subjected to the true trainwreck OSes on my work PCs over the years. It was pretty much 3.11-NT4-XP-7-10 with some DOS sprinkled for flavor during the 3.11-NT4 period.
When I started in my current job we were a 7 shop with a few tablet hybrids running 8. The update to 10 was a nightmare at the time, but it's been great since then.

- Randall Munroe
Old 17th January 2020, 05:22 AM   #55
Wudang
BOFH

Originally Posted by Childlike Empress View Post
If it's so primitive, why didn't the code think it was Windows 95 when it actually was Windows 98?
Vague memories from around the time 10 was announced of someone posting a case/switch statement purportedly from ...... no, forgotten. Supposedly some important code out in the wild that would treat 9 as 95/8. And I'm failing on my search engine. FWIW.
Old 17th January 2020, 05:53 AM   #56
catsmate
No longer the 1

Ditto on the search bar. It's all I use in 7, too. While bouncing around the web requires a lot of mousing, most of what I do benefits greatly from keeping my hands on the keyboard as much as possible. If I need to bring up notepad, it's windows button, type in "notepad," press enter and done...it's much, much faster than it sounds.
Agreed. Command line, Run or Quick Launch.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2020, 06:24 AM   #57
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
I actually really like the Windows 10 start menu. Mostly because the search bar is all I use. I never look for control panel, or bounce around with multiple clicks. I type "update" in the bar and I get windows updates. People don't like the bar though too, I hear a lot of complaints about it. I do enjoy the double click nature of the start menu now too, if you do have to go navigating.

It's saved me a lot of questions around the office because it's fairly newbie friendly.
I must have done some change to the Setup because I'm on Windows 10 but those features don't sound familiar. Everything is single-click. I don't see a Search bar when I hit Start, but just typing a letter starts a search (which I didn't even know until now, thanks).

My Start box looks like (left to right):
Vertical stack of small icons for Settings, Power, etc
List of applications
Groups of icons for oft-used apps I have arranged in a certain manner
Old 17th January 2020, 09:50 AM   #58
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
I must have done some change to the Setup because I'm on Windows 10 but those features don't sound familiar. Everything is single-click. I don't see a Search bar when I hit Start, but just typing a letter starts a search (which I didn't even know until now, thanks).

My Start box looks like (left to right):
Vertical stack of small icons for Settings, Power, etc
List of applications
Groups of icons for oft-used apps I have arranged in a certain manner
It's actually that way in Windows 8 too. If you hit the windows key to the tile screen it'll pop up a search window.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2020, 03:57 PM   #59
catsmate
No longer the 1

Pfff. I remember DOS 4.00, WinNT 3.1, 3.5 and 3.51. All installed and used.
How about NT4 on MIPS? NT5 on Alpha?
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2020, 05:43 PM   #60
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Originally Posted by catsmate View Post
Pfff. I remember DOS 4.00, WinNT 3.1, 3.5 and 3.51. All installed and used.
How about NT4 on MIPS? NT5 on Alpha?

OK, Boomer.
Old 18th January 2020, 07:33 AM   #61
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

OS/2 Warp - everything Windows 95 should have been!

Workplace Shell (OO), isolated & multiple instances of windows 3.1, even DOS boxes. It was brilliant for software development... at the time..
Old 18th January 2020, 08:02 AM   #62
Wudang
BOFH

I have an OS/2 iso and an old laptop for my next fit of boredom.

IBM sales used to boast how wonderful they were but the whole OS/2 and MCA debacle showed otherwise. I attended a talk by Chet Heath (who designed MCA) and was blown away but all sales could see was how many boxes they could shift.
Old 18th January 2020, 09:54 AM   #63
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
OS/2 Warp - everything Windows 95 should have been!

Workplace Shell (OO), isolated & multiple instances of windows 3.1, even DOS boxes. It was brilliant for software development... at the time..
I remember the TV ad for that -- a couple guys looking at the screen (which the viewer can't see) and going "Wow, cool, neato!" (paraphrased)
Old 18th January 2020, 09:56 AM   #64
Wudang
BOFH

Around the time a joke popular inside IBM was that if IBM marketing did ads for KFC the new slogan would be "For sale: hot dead birds".
Old 18th January 2020, 01:39 PM   #65
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by catsmate View Post
Windows 7 goes End of Life on Tuesday 14JAN2020. No more updates and patches unless you've paid for the corporate extension.

I take it everyone is prepared?
What is Windows 7?

Hans
Old 18th January 2020, 01:40 PM   #66
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Childlike Empress View Post
Wednesday should be even more fun. That's when Microsoft rolls out the new version of Edge browser based on Chromium, replacing the old one based on their own rendering engine. Heise writes that while the old version won't be deleted immediately (that will happen later on), it needs some tricks to still access it after the update.

Good luck with "your" computer and internet, Windows 10 users.
What is "Edge"?

Hans

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet