ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
View Poll Results: Should Harry and Meghan abdicate?
Yes, stripped of titles including HRH and public funding/protection 9 25.71%
Yes but keeping titles incl HRH, public funding, protection and Frogmore Cottage 2 5.71%
No, Harry cannot give up his British citizenship and Archie belongs to the Queen 3 8.57%
Who? 21 60.00%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Old 23rd January 2020, 02:25 AM   #601
Worm
Illuminator

Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer View Post
I'll always remember Lamarr trying to explain to the lead singer of "Tower of London" (a guest second in stupidity and misplaced self confidence only to Dappy) that Bill Bailey is a professional comedian and trying to out insult him wasn't going to go well.
Amstell.

Not all cults are bad - I've joined a cult of niceness
Worm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2020, 02:38 AM   #602
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Royal patronage does seem to be able to increase the amount of money raised by useful charities.
How does UK charity giving compare to countries without royal patronage?

ETA: Looked for some quick figures and it would appear more people are charitable in the USA than in the UK. Yet more evidence we should drop the royals!

Last edited by Darat; 23rd January 2020 at 02:42 AM.
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2020, 02:46 AM   #603
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
How does UK charity giving compare to countries without royal patronage?

ETA: Looked for some quick figures and it would appear more people are charitable in the USA than in the UK. Yet more evidence we should drop the royals!
Grasping at straws a bit there sorry Darat.

The fact the UK gives less per person does not change the fact they give more if a royal endorses the charity organisation.

Frankly that comment was a bit silly for you
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With todayís Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2020, 03:30 AM   #604
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
Grasping at straws a bit there sorry Darat.

The fact the UK gives less per person does not change the fact they give more if a royal endorses the charity organisation.

Frankly that comment was a bit silly for you
I take it you have smilies blocked.

But that aside, can you provide me with the evidence you have that shows people give more to a charity if it has a royal patron.
Old 23rd January 2020, 03:34 AM   #605
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

I take it you have smilies blocked.

But that aside, can you provide me with the evidence you have that shows people give more to a charity if it has a royal patron.
Lol

Well done

I can't disprove the unprovable but suspect the Invictus would be nothing like it is with competitions without Harry.

Fair play though. Snookered
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With todayís Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2020, 03:54 AM   #606
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
Lol

Well done

I can't disprove the unprovable but suspect the Invictus would be nothing like it is with competitions without Harry.

Fair play though. Snookered
I'm actually curious about this.

I suspect it will reveal that as usual it really will be about patronage, nobs and the rich get the chance to rub shoulders. As it would have been known "the old boys network".

Sadly in the UK it is still who your parents know that sets you up for life.
Old 23rd January 2020, 04:04 AM   #607
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

I'm actually curious about this.

I suspect it will reveal that as usual it really will be about patronage, nobs and the rich get the chance to rub shoulders. As it would have been known "the old boys network".

Sadly in the UK it is still who your parents know that sets you up for life.
Tend to agree totally with that.

The fact we where largely unaware before brings both sides.

More money. But a realisation of their lack of valid profile before.

Last edited by cullennz; 23rd January 2020 at 04:06 AM.
Old 23rd January 2020, 04:19 AM   #608
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

That was crappily worded

They got a lot more money and more importantly profile with the Hazzas name attached.

Old 23rd January 2020, 07:22 AM   #609
Azrael 5
Philosopher

My view: Harry loves his wife.
Harry hates the media due to his Mother's death
Harry has seen his wife suffer disgraceful abuse in the press and no one in his family has stood up for her. Counytry blames Meghan for "something"
His Brother's wife is accused once of having botox and the palace bring out legal letters.
Harry thinks "sod this whats point in being here Im off"

Country loses it's mind.
Old 23rd January 2020, 07:31 AM   #610
Azrael 5
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
That is almost certainly a 'trading as' name. It will not be able to patent itself as 'royal' (without royal permission) and I doubt it is listed in Companies House as 'Royal Cleaners Limited'.
https://www.atlasobscura.com/article...siness-name-uk
Old 23rd January 2020, 08:31 AM   #611
Steve
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Azrael 5 View Post
My view: Harry loves his wife.
Harry hates the media due to his Mother's death
Harry has seen his wife suffer disgraceful abuse in the press and no one in his family has stood up for her. Counytry blames Meghan for "something"
His Brother's wife is accused once of having botox and the palace bring out legal letters.
Harry thinks "sod this whats point in being here Im off"

Country loses it's mind.
I think your view is quite accurate, and I think I understand Harry quite well. After 35 years of marriage my wife's well-being and happiness is still number one to me. Anyone attempting to interfere with that can indeed sod off.
Old 23rd January 2020, 09:53 AM   #612
Myriad
Hyperthetical

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
I think your view is quite accurate, and I think I understand Harry quite well. After 35 years of marriage my wife's well-being and happiness is still number one to me. Anyone attempting to interfere with that can indeed sod off.

Quite right. There's even a vow you take, that says so.

Various friends, associates, and family members, for various reasons, considered my wife an unsuitable choice for me back when we married over 25 years ago. That problem pretty much disappeared once I made it clear enough that while everyone was entitled to their opinions, whatever standing they thought entitled them to have an actual say in the matter, actually didn't.

Whether or not one believes any god exists, the line "what God has joined together, let no one separate" makes it pretty clear where the priorities should be for any couple who want to remain a couple.
Old 23rd January 2020, 10:37 AM   #613
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Worm View Post
Amstell.
So much for my memory!

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events