ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 16th January 2020, 08:02 AM   #81
Arcade22
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Rolfe View Post
At one level. At another level it's an interesting example of how acceptance of self-ID has the potential to make it a lot easier for abusers to access vulnerable victims without being challenged.
Not anymore easier than when it's just their age that they are lying about, since it would not have made much difference if they had just been a 21 year old man.

Last edited by Arcade22; 16th January 2020 at 08:05 AM.
Arcade22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th January 2020, 03:07 PM   #82
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
When you consent to sex, you don't have to consent to anything and everything that falls under that category. You can consent to specific acts and not to other acts. For example, you can consent to be penetrated in one orifice but not in another. You can consent to penetration by the other person's genitals, but not by a sex toy.

If they are female pretending to be male, they cannot penetrate you with their genitals, they can only do so with a sex toy masquerading as genitals. This may be a crime (note Hungry81 used a conditional here too), because they may have committed a sex act to which you did not consent.
Originally Posted by Darat View Post
It's about informed consent, knowingly concealing something means the other person can't give informed consent. There have been some cases prosecuted based on this.

Um, thanks for the agreement?
tyr_13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2020, 12:19 AM   #83
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by tyr_13 View Post
Um, thanks for the agreement?
I was just adding to what you said, to remind folk the consent needs to be informed.
Old 21st January 2020, 05:22 PM   #84
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

There is no indication in any of the reports that the parents who were fooled weren't fooled. I am sure a parent of a young teenager would be very concerned if their daughter is saying she is dating a boy but you know he is a she.
This issue has been bugging me for days. Females can disguise themselves as males and not get immediately detected. Even if they come into contact with people who have vested interests in exposing this fact. It has been done many times. So it is no reflection on the parents intelligence for their failure to detect the correct gender of this woman.

Here is a referenece that lists some examples https://www.bustle.com/articles/1127...-back-then-was
Old 22nd January 2020, 04:23 PM   #85
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

I was just adding to what you said, to remind folk the consent needs to be informed.
Oh, I thought that inherently followed what I said, but yeah, the way I wrote was not as clear as needed.

My bad.
tyr_13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2020, 05:52 PM   #86
wasapi
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by rjh01 View Post
This issue has been bugging me for days. Females can disguise themselves as males and not get immediately detected. Even if they come into contact with people who have vested interests in exposing this fact. It has been done many times. So it is no reflection on the parents intelligence for their failure to detect the correct gender of this woman.

Here is a referenece that lists some examples https://www.bustle.com/articles/1127...-back-then-was
A really interesting read at the link!
Old 24th January 2020, 11:12 AM   #87
Arcade22
Philosopher

Originally Posted by rjh01 View Post

Yes this is a most troubling issue and a significant cause of concern. Imagine if you were hooking up with what you thought was a pretty and girlish teenage boy, only for them to show up as a 21 year old woman!

It's a wonder why we have not experienced a deluge of "reverse gay-panic" defenses in homicide trials.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events