IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Coronavirus

Old 16th April 2021, 08:10 AM   #801
lomiller
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
The UK hasn’t done that.
Apart from a trivial amount that was quietly sent to Australia none of the Covid vaccine produced in the UK has been exported.
Old 16th April 2021, 08:14 AM   #802
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
I think people in Japan have become complacent. Vaccines are only just beginning to become available here for the elderly, and even that group is just starting to be vaccinated.

Meanwhile, people seem to be ignoring the government's pleas to avoid unnecessary travel:

Japan's anti-virus pleas fall on deaf ears as scores venture out (Japan Times)

Apparently when you call it a "quasi-state of emergency" it doesn't quite convey the same sense of urgency, does it? Also I expect that pandemic fatigue is setting in.
That's why there's still a fair chance that this bug is going to kick our asses. With the variants expected from a virus on this family, it might overwhelm our ability to keep up with it, and with serious neurological, cardiac and pulmonary problems in many of the survivors, it might be pretty damned grim indeed.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th April 2021, 08:27 AM   #803
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer View Post
I would happily thump the people who claim not to be able to wear a mask because of asthema. I've been a fully paid up member of the puffer club for over forty years, spent way too much of my childhood in an oxygen tent & remember having to use the torture device that was the Intel Spinhaler (in it's old "Yes you could choke on this") design three times a day. I will happily wear a mask in all appropriate situations (and I usually wear a multi layer hepa mask) BECAUSE I know what it feels like to struggle to breath, and wearing a mask over your nose & mouth is nothing like it.
I really liked the Spinhaler, it was the first thing that alleviated my suffering as a kid. I wear a double mask (=six layers) in shops.

vilken tröst, vad än som kommer på!
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th April 2021, 12:05 AM   #804
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by lomiller View Post
If everyone starts hording vaccines and the materials\equipment required to make them like the UK is doing less vaccine ends up being produced everywhere. It would be better for everyone if there were cooperation in production and distribution without countries like the UK saying "our vaccine production is only for us"

IMO vaccines should be given the same type of status as critical defence industries. This means not only would you prohibit importing either vaccines, materials or equipment involved in the production of vaccines from any country that has show itself to be a bad actor or simply can't be trusted. This would include both the US and UK. The US is large enough it probably wouldn't matter, though.
I'm not entirely sure I follow your logic here.

Are you saying that to punish the US and UK, other countries should refuse to import vaccines from those countries?

US taxpayers (and I'm sure the same is true for the UK) invested at least $10 billion in developing the vaccines, and the US has also had more deaths than any other country. I think it's understandable that they would prioritize vaccinating their own citizens before they start exporting large amounts of the vaccine. That will happen eventually of course, once the US demand has been met.
Old 17th April 2021, 01:52 AM   #805
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

More than 1,200 church ministers in the UK have urged PM Boris Johnson not to introduce coronavirus vaccine certificates, saying they are an "unethical form of coercion".

In an open letter, Anglican and Catholic ministers warned passports could create a "surveillance state".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-56781724
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th April 2021, 03:29 AM   #806
Rolfe
Anti-homeopathy illuminati member

Bloody idiots. Have they never taken a cat or a dog to a boarding kennels? You won't get over the door without a vaccination certificate.
Old 17th April 2021, 03:34 AM   #807
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Vaccine passports are "medical apartheid & unethical"

Are faith schools educational apartheid & unethical?
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th April 2021, 04:16 AM   #808
Rolfe

You'd almost think pandering to people's irrational prejudices was more important than controlling a disease that has already killed several million people.
Old 17th April 2021, 04:26 AM   #809
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Rolfe View Post
Bloody idiots. Have they never taken a cat or a dog to a boarding kennels? You won't get over the door without a vaccination certificate.
Or travel to certain countries!

I really don’t get the objection to this idea.
Old 17th April 2021, 04:36 AM   #810
KDLarsen
Illuminator

Meanwhile, over here the Danish National Ethical Council's main concern is that the current Covid passport design displays too many personal details about the user, and would prefer a simpler "traffic light" design.
KDLarsen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th April 2021, 03:06 PM   #811
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Why hasn't Boris put India in the 'red zone'?,
Is it for the sake of his vanity project visit to the country
It isn't going to end well.
We do not need the Indian variant loose in the UK.
Old 17th April 2021, 03:15 PM   #812
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
It's already here, but we certainly don't want more.

"The first of the 77 cases of the India variant of coronavirus found in the UK were detected in specimens dating back to February, the Guardian has learned."
Old 18th April 2021, 01:20 AM   #813
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

No, because you do not have to be of the faith in question to get in.

vilken tröst, vad än som kommer på!
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th April 2021, 06:12 PM   #814
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

I guess this counts as good news for Japan:

Japan to secure enough vaccines for all residents by end of September

Quote:
Japan will secure enough COVID-19 vaccines for all residents age 16 or older by the end of September, vaccine chief Taro Kono said Sunday, as Pfizer has accepted Prime Minister Yoshihide Suga’s request to supply additional doses of the shots.

“They have agreed on the essentials of the matter,” Kono said during a live interview on Fuji TV, adding that further details including the shipment schedule will be discussed later.

Kono did not specify the number of extra doses sought from Pfizer, but said Japan would secure enough supply by the end of September to inoculate all people over 16 years old.

Suga made the request during telephone talks with Pfizer CEO Albert Bourla on Saturday, the last day of his three-day visit to Washington, where he met with U.S. President Joe Biden.

Kono said Pfizer is expected to file a request to expand the use of its vaccine to adolescents aged 12 to 15, having submitted a similar request in the United States. The government will take this into account in rolling out vaccinations, he said.

Japan is seeing a surge of coronavirus cases in recent weeks, which top health experts say is a fourth wave of the COVID-19 pandemic.

The request for more doses also comes as Japan trails far behind Britain, the United States and other nations in the global vaccine rollout.
As it currently stands, less than 1% of the population here has received even a first dose, and only half a percent are fully vaccinated.

But the end of September is still 5 and a half months away. At least I can finally see a light at the end of the tunnel.
Old 18th April 2021, 08:20 PM   #815
Ulf Nereng
Muse

Where will it end, I wonder? Next we'll need drivers passports to drive our own cars! And age passports to buy alcohol or cigarettes! It's discrimination!
Ulf Nereng is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 07:53 AM   #816
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

I'm happy to report that my pessimism regarding the vaccine rollout in the UK was utterly, utterly misplaced.

Quote:
Hancock says that vaccine uptake has been "astonishingly high" across the country, and has been 95% for all over 50s.

You can see the result of the vaccination programme in the fact that 98% of people aged 70 and 84 now have Covid antibodies - which are "crucial for the bodies' ability to fight the disease," he says.

The health secretary says uptake across all ethnic minority groups has continued to increase.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-5...ost_type=share

Mrs Don and I had a first Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine 3 weeks ago. Mrs Don was tested for antibodies over the weekend as part of the Biobank and came up negative . I'm due to be tested in the next few days. Mrs Don had no reaction to the vaccine, I was pretty unwell for three days so we'll see whether I have the antibodies.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 10:11 AM   #817
lomiller
Penultimate Amazing

I'm not entirely sure I follow your logic here.

Are you saying that to punish the US and UK, other countries should refuse to import vaccines from those countries?
Other strategic materials are handled this way. Suppliers must either be domestic or trusted partners.

US taxpayers (and I'm sure the same is true for the UK) invested at least $10 billion in developing the vaccines, and the US has also had more deaths than any other country. I think it's understandable that they would prioritize vaccinating their own citizens before they start exporting large amounts of the vaccine. That will happen eventually of course, once the US demand has been met.
None of these vaccines are the effort of a single country, there are multinational research efforts behind all of them. Also, if we follow your logic, The US should not have received a single dose of the German developed Pfizer vaccine until Germany had enough to vaccinate all it's own citizens.

I'll also stop you before you move the goalpost from research to production. The supply chains for vaccine production stretch across the world, equipment, software, reagents, etc come from everywhere not just the final production site.

Nor is it a case of certain countries supplying money for production facilities. Every country that placed an order is paying money in advance, and since drug companies are selling these for a profit there was always going to be funding available to build production facilities. They were not about to turn down free money to "build it here" but the production facilities were going to be built regardless.
Old Yesterday, 11:10 AM   #818
Aber
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by lomiller View Post
Every country that placed an order is paying money in advance,
I'm slightly sceptical of this, do you have a source?
Aber is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 12:02 PM   #819
lomiller
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Aber View Post
I'm slightly sceptical of this, do you have a source?
Moderna took in over $1 billion in deposits in the third quarter of 2020, months before the vaccine was even approved for use.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/business/mode...cine-1.5165985
Old Yesterday, 01:13 PM   #820
Garrison
Philosopher

Well it is being added as of Friday and I imagine anyone arriving in the meantime is going to be subject to stringent testing.
Old Yesterday, 07:00 PM   #821
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Garrison View Post
I imagine anyone arriving in the meantime is going to be subject to stringent testing.
You are funny.
Old Today, 01:54 AM   #822
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Wales is accelerating implementing Covid-19 facilitation measures lifting "lockdown" restrictions with the dates for gyms opening and groups of 6 people from different households being able to meet outdoors.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-56680593

I'm conflicted about this. The current level of Covid in my local area is low (1 case in the last 7 days in the county of Monmouthshire so a rate of 1/100,000) and opening up does seem to be possible. I'm looking forward to the village pub being able to open - not least because it's changed ownership and management (all Brains pubs have been bought by Marstons) - and being able to resume band practice (we have a marquee we can open the sides on) but if people are mingling and moving around, IMO it's likely that we'll have a repeat of last year with a surge once people start getting together.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 03:03 AM   #823
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Once again, the UK government seems to have reacted too slowly to changes in circumstances. In this case it's dragging its heels over steps to reduce the spread of Covid from India.

Quote:
India's addition to the UK's "red list" of banned countries due to rising Covid cases and concerns over a new variant may have come too late, the UK's former chief scientific adviser has said.

Prof Mark Walport told the BBC he believed the new variant was "more transmissible" and there were "good reasons" for keeping it out of the UK.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-56813025

Even if we think that the vaccination programme is successful, it only takes the introduction of new, immune, strains to undermine it. The UK and US are seemingly almost exclusively relying on the success of vaccination.
Old Today, 03:24 AM   #824
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

The first lockdown ended in June. How can we still have needed PPE so urgently as to award a vast £100m+ PPE contract without any competition in July? Could it have something to do with close links to Number 10?
Old Today, 06:43 AM   #825
Rolfe

Pedantic note. Viruses aren't immune from vaccines, that's a horrible distortion of the language. Viruses are resistant to vaccines. They don't actually have immune systems of their own.
Old Today, 07:49 AM   #826
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Apparently there's no time to waste and the government must hold an emergency meeting about football tomorrow.

Quarantine restrictions on people travelling from India where a new potentially vaccine-killing variant of Covid is rife can wait until Friday.
Old Today, 08:08 AM   #827
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Apparently there's no time to waste and the government must hold an emergency meeting about football tomorrow.

Quarantine restrictions on people travelling from India where a new potentially vaccine-killing variant of Covid is rife can wait until Friday.
....which all makes sense when the primary purpose of government action/policy is to generate positive press as opposed, say, to actually governing the country.

Boris Johnson never met a bandwagon he didn't consider jumping aboard.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics