IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Skeptical Podcasts » Skeptoid

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 6th October 2010, 04:52 PM   #81
Dinwar
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
If humans evolved from "apes" as you say, then why are there still apes!? I find it hard to beleive anyone on this theory because of the lack of evidence. Just dimply saying "we both have apposable thumbs" isn't enough for me. And another thing, is it too hard to beleive that God created science. I am a christian and I believe in both science, and religeon.

In my veiw GOD CREATED SCIENCE!
An example of one of the Rules of the Internet (Poe's Law?). I genuinely cannot tell if the poster is serious or not.
Dinwar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th October 2010, 10:31 AM   #82
AdMan
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Dinwar View Post
An example of one of the Rules of the Internet (Poe's Law?). I genuinely cannot tell if the poster is serious or not.

Yep, it is Poe's Law you're referring to.

And as silly as that post sounds, I'm betting the poster is serious (unless you appose the idea).
AdMan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2010, 05:04 AM   #83
Safe-Keeper
Penultimate Amazing

Something about circuses? I recently started a circus course at a folk high school (search for threads started by me in Forum Community containing "circus" in their title), and figure there must be as many myths, spooky stories, urban legends and whatnot related to circuses as there are to theaters. I did a cursory google search on "circus myths" and all I found was activist sites on animal abuse (then again, I suppose an episode on animals in circuses), but there's got to be stuff out there.
"He's like a drunk being given a sobriety test by the police after being pulled over. Just as a drunk can't walk a straight line, Trump can't think in a straight line. He's all over the place."--Stacyhs
"If you are still hung up on that whole words-have-meaning thing, then 2020 is going to be a long year for you." --Ladewig
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd October 2010, 02:49 PM   #84
Old Muley
New Blood

First post so be gentle. I don't know if these have been floated as suggestions, but here are some ideas:

1. "Off Label" use of hyperbaric chambers. I've seen these pushed as treatments for autism, obesity, ADHD and whatever else might be ailing you.

2. The Paulding Lights of Michigan's upper peninsula. Yeah, it's another headlights-mistaken-for-ghost-lights story, but it comes up here in the Midwest every now and then.

3. Finally how about the whole late 1980's, early 1990's satanism scare? I recall hearing a lot about this when I was in college and even went to a "training" for law enforcement and school personnel to spot signs of satan worship in the community.

Thanks!
Old Muley is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2010, 08:58 AM   #85
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

Easter. Seriously confusing.
tyr_13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2010, 02:18 PM   #86
Mambo4
New Blood

The true efficacy of flu vaccines, and weather or not they will actually give you the flu.

A friend posted on facebook asking if she should get vaccinated this year. The number of responses that discouraged her were surprising. usually the argument went something like this:
" each time i get a flu shot , it makes me sick."
"Last time I had a really bad flu was the last time I had a flu shot"
etc etc...
Mambo4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2010, 02:15 PM   #87
BibleWelt
Student

Hemp! The Miracles of Hemp!
BibleWelt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th November 2010, 08:01 AM   #88
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by BibleWelt View Post
Hemp! The Miracles of Hemp!
Ohh, that's a good one! I'm for legalization of pot but the arguments for hemp I hear are always, frankly, stupid. Yes, I think it should be legal to grow as well, but not because it will do what pot heads claim it will do. This is evidenced by it not doing those things in countries where it is legal to grow.
tyr_13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2010, 01:20 PM   #89
Mrens
New Blood

Pot should be legal for so many economic, social, and humanitarian reasons. But as for pseudo-science, I'm afraid the pro-legalization crowd doesn't have the high ground on that, the Medical Marijuana crowd has taken that away, I've seen claims of everything from ALS to AIDs can be treated with Marijuana.
Mrens is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2010, 06:38 AM   #90
Eligbak
Scholar

Nobody should be allowed to express an opinion on the legalization of hash/marijuana/pot before he/she/it has at least tried it, once, or better, thrice.

I smoked a couple of cigarettes and pipes so long ago that I'd even forgotten what the difference was, exactly (here's a reminder and a funny little guide for you would-be homegrowers). I've always smoked in company, so I don't know what it does to your brainsalad when you're alone.

I don't have any other drug-related experiences, so I can't judge it against ecstasy & the like. But I imagine hash works like a milder form of the "love rush" you get from it - it's a great relaxetive. Emotional cramps get smoothed out, you can talk like a waterfall, and you can't remember exactly how you felt the next day (no problem remembering what you did ). BUT you tend to lose control over your body - walking on a straight line IS a problem after a good joint. I've never tried sex on dope, maybe someone else can share his experiences.

Fact is, it's much easier to be a traffic accident waiting to happen - just one smoke of good hashish is enough. If you'd want to legalize it, you'd have to bring down the allowed potency of a joint somewhat - which isn't going to happen when people can just grow and treat the stuff themselves anyway they like.

Cannabis isn't exactly legal anywhere in the world, contrary to some oft quoted misinformation.
Eligbak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd April 2011, 02:41 PM   #91
M167A1
New Blood

This would be a great episode.

Examing "Pit Bull" hype.
M167A1 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th April 2011, 08:35 AM   #92
Mambo4
New Blood

Tax cuts for the Rich :do they really create jobs?

title says it all.

Sure this has been implemented a number times since the Carter administration. What do the numbers actually reflect?
Mambo4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th April 2011, 03:10 AM   #93
Red3
Muse

The common cold & rhinoviruses - myths and facts, causes and cures.

IT'S A TRAP!

Last edited by Red3; 27th April 2011 at 03:12 AM.
Red3 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th April 2011, 04:48 AM   #94
sophia8
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Bismarn View Post
How about the living Vietnam War P.O.W. conspiracy theory? We all still see the black POW/MIA flags everywhere and remember Rambo II. The conspiracy theory that Vietnam kept American POW's after the war and that our own government knows about it and covers it up is what launched Ross Perot's political career. Just listing all of the crazy things Perot did in his quest to prove the conspiracy would make an interesting podcast.
He's just done that one.
"Nature is floods and famines and earthquakes and viruses and little blue-footed booby babies getting their brains pecked out by their stronger siblings! ....Nature doesn't care about me, or about anybody in particular - nature can be terrifying! Why do they even put words like 'natural' on products like shampoo, like it's automatically a good thing? I mean, sulfuric acid is natural!" -Julia Sweeney
sophia8 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2011, 11:57 PM   #95
ChalkiePerfect
New Blood

"Imaginary Middle Ages" (erfundenes Mittelalter)

This is a new one by me, and I'd love to see an episode on it! It's apparently much bigger in German-speaking Europe than it is here, but you can find the English Wikipedia article under the title "Phantom Time Hypothesis."

Just when you think you've heard every crazy idea, you stumble into this!
The hypothesis in brief is that about 300 years of the Middle Ages never happened. Charlemagne didn't exist, they say, and the years 600-900 A.D. did not occur.

For those who read German, the wikipedia.de article is significantly longer (look up "Erfundenes Mittelalter"). For those who don't read German, trust me, it's a lu-lu.
ChalkiePerfect is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2011, 02:24 AM   #96
whatthebutlersaw
Dessert Arsonist

Originally Posted by ChalkiePerfect View Post

This is a new one by me, and I'd love to see an episode on it! It's apparently much bigger in German-speaking Europe than it is here, but you can find the English Wikipedia article under the title "Phantom Time Hypothesis."

The hypothesis in brief is that about 300 years of the Middle Ages never happened. Charlemagne didn't exist, they say, and the years 600-900 A.D. did not occur.

For those who read German, the wikipedia.de article is significantly longer (look up "Erfundenes Mittelalter"). For those who don't read German, trust me, it's a lu-lu.
Ok. Just read that.

Permense! Gaudere meum - scis qui es.
whatthebutlersaw is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2011, 03:32 AM   #97
Bram Kaandorp
Master Poster

Originally Posted by ChalkiePerfect View Post

I'm already intrigued (in the sense that one might be intrigued by a strangely shaped slice of bread).

Cheers

Wait, "terser" is a word, right?
Bram Kaandorp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th May 2011, 10:16 PM   #98
Mrs.Sherman
New Blood

In reply to entry about bee losses: The website at Apis Molecular Systematics Laboratory at Washington State University has Resources links with Fact Sheets and information related to Colony Collapse Disorder. It doesn't include cellphone towers as one of the problems.

Last edited by Mrs.Sherman; 20th May 2011 at 10:17 PM. Reason: This is in reply to bee losses entry.
Mrs.Sherman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th May 2011, 10:39 PM   #99
KyunaKyuna
New Blood

What surprised Brian?

Some of the episodes I have enjoyed the most are ones where Brian turned his "skeptical eye" towards something and discovered something he did not expect, or at least that was pretty unusual. The numbers stations for example, where the government really was up to something.

So my first suggestion for new episodes would be "talk about when you found out something that made you change what you thought."

Not having listened to every episode, more specific suggestions risk the "we already did that, why don't you search for things first" reply. But I will still suggest and cordially invite you to ignore me if it has been done!

Giving money to a charity like World Vision that claims you can change a child's life. Does it? And does it in the way they advertise it will? (full disclosure, I work overseas in aid)

Give away your old clothes to help the homeless in your town and/or poor people overseas. Does it really and does your old shirt really end up being given to a poor person?

The idea of those running shoes that try to be like you are running barefoot. Perhaps joined with the barefoot woman runner in the 84 Olympics and looking at sports records generally? Or perhaps a skeptical look at doping in sport, I see Lance Armstrong is in the news again.

And to close, thank you for the link to Buzz Aldrin punching the moon walk denier! The immediate response of a 72 year old combat veteran being called a coward made my day.
KyunaKyuna is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th May 2011, 11:33 AM   #100
CaCO3
New Blood

Originally Posted by znhunter View Post
If humans evolved from "apes" as you say, then why are there still apes!? I find it hard to beleive anyone on this theory because of the lack of evidence. Just dimply saying "we both have apposable thumbs" isn't enough for me. And another thing, is it too hard to beleive that God created science. I am a christian and I believe in both science, and religeon.

In my veiw GOD CREATED SCIENCE!
Have you ever thought that maybe God is a scientist? That it's not just puffy clouds and angels singing but an actual hard science behind the beliefs of Christians that we just do not understand yet? Don't get me wrong, I am not a Christian and do not believe in any God but rather find it annoying that believers give a god credit for creating everything. If there is a god I would wager he is a scientist.

One topic I would love to hear about is the John Wilkes Booth getaway theory that basically proposes that the man shot and used as Booth's body was not Booth at all. I dismissed it at first, but upon hearing some of the arguments and reading physical documents, it seems to have some traction. At least enough to make me question the authenticity of the great capture of John Wilkes Booth. I think this would be an excellent tie in to what many are thinking in regards to the recent capture/killing of Usama bin Laden... ie did it even happen? Oh Science(believers read "God") I hope so.
CaCO3 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th May 2011, 12:21 PM   #101
Tomtomkent
Philosopher

The Two Oswalds My favourite JFK Myth, of Lee and Harvey Oswald being two different people.

The Royal Ripper Masonic |Conspiracy Because it is amazing some people started believing that stuff again when From Hell came out.

Speaking of which...

People who are certainly NOT Jack the Ripper Arthur Conan Doyle, Lewis Carol, Walter Sickert, etc.

Moon Landings Because, you know, there being lazer reflective plates on the moon detectable from earth isn't PROOF for some people.

The Satanic Witch Hunts Because the story has always had legs.

The Beast of Bodmin and other Alien Big Cats As the subject is very interesting, and I think others may enjoy mr Dunnings views on the matter.
Tomtomkent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th May 2011, 01:53 PM   #102
Safe-Keeper
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
If humans evolved from "apes" as you say, then why are there still apes!?
If helicopter technology is based on airplanes, why are there still airplanes?

Quote:
I find it hard to beleive anyone on this theory because of the lack of evidence.
You're right. I'll convert to Creationism instead because it has tonnes of... oh.

Quote:
Just dimply saying "we both have apposable thumbs" isn't enough for me.
Neither is "it's in this Holy Book of mine".

Quote:
And another thing, is it too hard to beleive that God created science.
Er, yes, when we know how science came about and I don't believe in God I find that really hard to believe.
"He's like a drunk being given a sobriety test by the police after being pulled over. Just as a drunk can't walk a straight line, Trump can't think in a straight line. He's all over the place."--Stacyhs
"If you are still hung up on that whole words-have-meaning thing, then 2020 is going to be a long year for you." --Ladewig
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th May 2011, 10:45 AM   #103
Tomtomkent
Philosopher

Heh. If we evolved from apes why are there still apes? Erm, because minute changes to the genes of one ape offspring change one ape, not all apes. That ape passes the genes on, by having babies. Not all apes will mate with other apes carrying the new genetic model.

The better questionwould be; why do you think there could not be apes? Feel free to point to the flaw in the theory that you think suggests there can not be apes.
Tomtomkent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th May 2011, 10:58 AM   #104
Red3
Muse

Originally Posted by znhunter View Post
If humans evolved from "apes" as you say, then why are there still apes!?
Not that old chestnut again...

Humans didn't evolve from apes. How many more times does this need pointing out???

IT'S A TRAP!
Red3 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th May 2011, 12:22 PM   #105
Bram Kaandorp
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Red3 View Post
Not that old chestnut again...

Humans didn't evolve from apes. How many more times does this need pointing out???
Just as long as charismatic religious figures keep on saying that "darwinists claim we descend from apes/monkeys".

It doesn't help that we can't get through to these charismatic religious figures.

I simply shrug my shoulders and watch another "Golden Crocoduck Award" nominee.

Cheers

Bram Kaandorp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th June 2011, 05:07 AM   #106
phelix
Critical Thinker

With regards to the missing time hypothesis mentioned above, there is a good article on it here:
http://www.straightdope.com/columns/...-really-happen

The straight dope frequently has interesting skepticism articles

Also does anyone know if Brian actually reads this thread? Because he's done a few of the ones mentioned (none of mine ) so I didn't know if that was just coincidence or what?
phelix is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2011, 11:30 AM   #107
Red3
Muse

Originally Posted by Bram Kaandorp View Post
It doesn't help that we can't get through to these charismatic religious figures.
They don't want to be gotten through to, no matter what. Most of them are happy in their delusions.

IT'S A TRAP!
Old 15th June 2011, 02:12 AM   #108
John Albert
Illuminator

"Sovereign Citizen," "Freemen-On-The-Land" and other extreme anti-Federalist movements.

The anti-Federal Reserve movements and their origins in the antisemitic "Jewish Banking Conspiracy."
John Albert is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th June 2011, 10:58 AM   #109
AdMan
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by phelix View Post
Also does anyone know if Brian actually reads this thread? Because he's done a few of the ones mentioned (none of mine ) so I didn't know if that was just coincidence or what?

He's a member of the forum, so I imagine he has read this thread on occasion.
Old 16th June 2011, 02:49 PM   #110
SecUnd3r
New Blood

Well, I'm not allowed to post links, just because I am a lurker and haven't got the minimum posts required. That being said, I would like to bring up the topic of Starlite, a material invented by Maurice Ward that supposedly has incredible heat disipation characteristics. I am highly skeptical of it, due to the simple fact that if something was this revolutionary, it would be a household product by now, but there are plenty who believe that it is real. Their explaination is that Maurice just was not a very good buisnessman.

Only information I could find is that Maurice has passed away according to his youtube page, he once had a website which is now shut down, and he has a blog with government test videos linked from youtube. He had been interviewed by The Telegraph in 2009, that article can still be found online. His material was also presented on Tomorrow's World in the late 90s.
SecUnd3r is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th June 2011, 11:37 AM   #111
Bigfooter
Student

I have to thank Brian for getting me into the whole "skeptical" thing a few months back. Since that time I've downloaded and listened to pretty much every Skeptoid episode.

One thing that I've become interested in knowing more about is this claim that "sugar is poison" - not HFCS, just plain old sugar. I've heard that thrown out in discussions at least a half dozen times over the past few months.

And, frankly, I'm skeptical.
Bigfooter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th June 2011, 11:55 AM   #112
Safe-Keeper
Penultimate Amazing

On the topic of sugar, I've heard from alternative/organic proponents that sugar often includes animal bones ground to powder, to enhance its white colour, and that you should buy organic produce because "only organic sugar is guaranteed to be free of animal bones". I'm wondering just how prevalent this practice is in reality.
Old 27th June 2011, 11:55 AM   #113
AdMan
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by SecUnd3r View Post
Well, I'm not allowed to post links, just because I am a lurker and haven't got the minimum posts required. That being said, I would like to bring up the topic of Starlite, a material invented by Maurice Ward that supposedly has incredible heat disipation characteristics. I am highly skeptical of it, due to the simple fact that if something was this revolutionary, it would be a household product by now, but there are plenty who believe that it is real. Their explaination is that Maurice just was not a very good buisnessman.

I had never heard of Starlite or of Maurice Ward, but I looked him up on Youtube and if this video isn't faked, as it doesn't appear to be, it's very impressive:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

ETA: Here's the article from The Telegraph:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolog...the-world.html

And here's a recent thread about Starlite:

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...d.php?t=211570

Last edited by AdMan; 27th June 2011 at 12:05 PM.
AdMan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th June 2011, 01:05 PM   #114
Bigfooter
Student

Originally Posted by Safe-Keeper View Post
On the topic of sugar, I've heard from alternative/organic proponents that sugar often includes animal bones ground to powder, to enhance its white colour, and that you should buy organic produce because "only organic sugar is guaranteed to be free of animal bones". I'm wondering just how prevalent this practice is in reality.
Wouldn't animal bones be considered organic?
Bigfooter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th June 2011, 03:28 PM   #115
Bram Kaandorp
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Bigfooter View Post
Wouldn't animal bones be considered organic?
Well yes, but, as the quote says, "only organic sugar is guaranteed to be free of animal bones".

In other words, they aren't saying that bones aren't organic, they are saying that only sugar with the "organic" label on it is free of animal bones.

Any way, it's all semantics and word-games, and in the end it only matters if it's actually true. I am getting a bit curious nevertheless.

Old 30th June 2011, 04:39 PM   #116
BowlOfRed
Master Poster

Wikipedia says they are used in the decolorization process and has a link to a PDF that I didn't read.

Bone_charWP
BowlOfRed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th June 2011, 04:53 PM   #117
BowlOfRed
Master Poster

The linked PDF is an article from a vegan magazine. It seemed reasonable. It focused on the use of animal products in the manufacture (as the first filter stage, others are usually used later). At no point in the article did it ever even suggest that "animal bones" end up in the final product.
BowlOfRed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st July 2011, 04:06 PM   #118
Dinwar
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
Not sure if it's true or not, but I do know that 1) animal bones aren't that white (got a few on my desk right now--most are a greyish off-white, and some are tanish off-white), and 2) osteophagy (eating bones) isn't that big of a deal. A lot of animals, and some humans, commonly do this. There's a lot of nutrition in bones. That, to me, would be the main issue--there's a lot of protein in them, which would likely be undocumented. In fact, I bet that'd be a way to test--bone dust won't disolve, and it WILL contain collogen. Burn it, burn what you know is pure sugar, and see if there's a difference in smell.

Here's a thought: What about an episode on things people generally consider too "out there" to be true (such as use of animal bones in processing), but turn out to be true? Troy is a classic example--long thought to be a myth, then they found the place! This wouldn't be a "Here's how skeptics are wrong" episode, either; rather, I think Mr. Dunning should spin it as "Here are examples of how skepticism is self-correcting."
Dinwar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd July 2011, 06:14 PM   #119
Soymilk420
Scholar

Quote:
Not sure if it's true or not, but I do know that 1) animal bones aren't that white
It not about ground up white bone powder, its called BONE CHAR...its animal bone that has been completely carbonized (color ranges from black to greyish-brown). Its used as a filter and isnt present in the final sugar product but some vegetarians or vegans still take issue with it since it involves an unnecessary use of animal products whose purchase might economically support animal industries. It shoudl be noted that this process is only used on some cane sugar on the market (not beet sugar) so its not like vegans cant use white sugar at all, they just tend to check which brand it is.

If youre skeptical that this process is actually used you can contact a sugar company, C&H is one company I know that currently uses bone char but have said they will consider alternative filtration for the future.(there is an alternative ion exchange filtration method used by some producers)
Soymilk420 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th July 2011, 09:16 PM   #120
ImaginalDisc
Penultimate Amazing

My grocery store stocks organic salt.

I don't want to live on this planet anymore.
ImaginalDisc is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Skeptical Podcasts » Skeptoid