IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Skeptical Podcasts » Skeptoid

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 18th March 2013, 02:35 PM   #1
eugryan
New Blood

book recommendation please

Hi
recently started listening to skeptoid and I love the scientific approach and critical thinking.
I am in a non fiction book club and we have read some great books. The book picked for next month however is The Power of Now, by Eckhart Tolle.
I would actually classify this as fiction.
When my turn comes to pick a book, I would love to pick something on the scientific approach and critical thinking.
Any recommendations would be really appreciated.
many thank
eugryan
eugryan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th March 2013, 03:52 PM   #2
AgeGap
Master Poster

I would recommend Bad Science by Ben Goldacre. Not exactly what you asked for but it is a good read.
AgeGap is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th March 2013, 04:40 PM   #3
Salerio
Critical Thinker

How about Haddon "Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time"
Old 18th March 2013, 04:43 PM   #4
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Robert Park: Superstition.

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st March 2013, 01:56 PM   #5
sir drinks-a-lot
Philosopher

You could choose The Demon Haunted World by Carl Sagan. Mostly a critical thinking and anti-pseudoscience book - could lead to some interesting discussions in the book club.

But I actually preferred some of his other books, like Billions and Billions and Pale Blue Dot. Since you specifically asked for critical thinking books, I recommended Demon Haunted World.
Old 21st March 2013, 02:11 PM   #6
Polaris
Penultimate Amazing

You could do worse than Michael Shermer's books.
"There's vastly more truth to be found in rocks than in holy books. Rocks are far superior, in fact, because you can DEMONSTRATE the truth found in rocks. Plus, they're pretty. Holy books are just heavy." - Dinwar

"Let your ears hear this beautiful song that's hiding underneath the sound," Ed Kowalczyk.
Polaris is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd March 2013, 04:35 AM   #7
jli
Critical Thinker

I like "Dicing with Death" by Stephen Senn. It is not a statistics textbook, but it is about statistics. Here is a review: http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/...cs/#more-23664
jli is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th March 2013, 05:29 AM   #8
eugryan
New Blood

Hi. Thank you all for recommendations. Will check them out.
eugryan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th March 2013, 04:39 PM   #9
eugryan
New Blood

Hey all. Just thought I would let you know I went with The Demon Haunted World by Carl Sagan. With additional credit for a second book Asking the right questions, a Guide to critical thinking, by Browne and Keeley.
Nearly all the other books have gone into my own list of books to read.
Thanks for help.
And as Brian would say, Be Skeptical.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Skeptical Podcasts » Skeptoid