IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 14th December 2012, 02:54 AM   #1
Dcdrac
Philosopher

Alan Turing Pardon Pleaa

A letter has been written by Stephen Hawkings amongst others, to request a pardon fo Alan Turing, it is about time it was done.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/20...tephen-hawking
Dcdrac is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2012, 03:27 AM   #2
catsmate
No longer the 1

While I think this is an excellent idea and the treatment of Turing was terrible, what about the others treated similarly?
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2012, 03:38 AM   #3
Dcdrac
Philosopher

Yes a blanket pardon would be an idea after alla lot of gay men were forced into a life of criminality and leading otherwise blmeless lives but were branded criminals
Dcdrac is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2012, 06:43 AM   #4
Beerina
Sarcastic Conqueror of Notions

I thought they did this 10 years ago.

Well, better (even) later than never.

The government should nationalize it! Socialized, single-payer video game development and sales now! More, cheaper, better games, right? Right?
Beerina is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2012, 08:35 AM   #5
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by Beerina View Post
I thought they did this 10 years ago.

Well, better (even) later than never.
I think that was the government apology.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2012, 08:40 AM   #6
Weak Kitten
Graduate Poster

Who else needs to apologize?
A quick reminder to all participants that although incomprehensibility is not against the Membership Agreement, incivility is. Please try and remember this, and keep your exchanges polite and respectful. -arthwollipot
Weak Kitten is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2012, 09:57 AM   #7
DrDave
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Weak Kitten View Post
Who else needs to apologize?
Becomingagodo
DrDave is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2012, 10:29 AM   #8
Beerina
Sarcastic Conqueror of Notions

Originally Posted by catsmate1 View Post
I think that was the government apology.
Wait, they apologized but didn't issue a pardon?

The government should nationalize it! Socialized, single-payer video game development and sales now! More, cheaper, better games, right? Right?
Beerina is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th December 2012, 02:53 AM   #9
Acleron
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Dcdrac View Post
Yes a blanket pardon would be an idea after alla lot of gay men were forced into a life of criminality and leading otherwise blmeless lives but were branded criminals
The apology was meaningless, it would only be a real apology if the people who were responsible apologised. But a blanket pardon would have a real effect. It would mean that the government of the country agrees that all those repressive laws were wrong.
Acleron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th December 2012, 02:58 AM   #10
StankApe
Banned

Good, he was horribly treated.

is it just me or does the phrase "chemical castration" make you wince?
StankApe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th December 2012, 05:06 AM   #11
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by Beerina View Post
Wait, they apologized but didn't issue a pardon?
Yes.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
Old 15th December 2012, 05:36 AM   #12
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

We've discussed this idea here before and I'm still of the view that I don't think it is a good idea. By the standards of today the standards of previous times in regards to civil rights were appalling, women and men not having the votes, race discrimination and so on. I just don't think we can pick out individuals that we today admire for whatever reasons and issues pardons based on our modern admiration and sensibilities.

Whether we like it or not he was a criminal in his day and what he did was by the standards of the day morally wrong. His was not a case in which he was singled out or had laws used inappropriately to victimise him he was simply treated the same as everyone else. If he had been singled out for victimisation unjustly even by the standards of the times I think you can make a case for a posthumous pardon, but that was not the circumstances behind his arrests and punishments.
If only it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?” Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago

Last edited by Darat; 15th December 2012 at 05:38 AM. Reason: words
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th December 2012, 01:07 PM   #13
Arcade22
Philosopher

Why Turing and not Oscar Wilde?

And no, Cuba is not a brutal and corrupt dictatorship, and it's definitely less so than Sweden. - dann
Arcade22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th December 2012, 01:56 PM   #14
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon

A pardon seems to imply that he is being forgiven for his wrongdoing. But in my opinion, he did nothing wrong.

Yet I'm not sure that an apology is appropriate either, because the actual people responsible for his persecution under British law are long dead.

Perhaps the best action, in my mind, is an official acknowledgement that homosexuals were wronged by past policies, accompanied by a statement of intent to learn from the mistakes of the past in order to make a better future.
Counterbalance in the little town of Ridgeview, Ohio. Two people permanently enslaved by the tyranny of fear and superstitution, facing the future with a kind of helpless dread. Two others facing the future with confidence - having escaped one of the darker places of the Twilight Zone.
Foster Zygote is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th December 2012, 05:46 PM   #15
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

He's dead, I don't think he cares.

They should pardon anyone currently alive in prison or suffering due to "chemical castration" laws and apologize to them, and they should make sure no similar laws remain on the books today.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th December 2012, 06:53 PM   #16
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Foster Zygote View Post
A pardon seems to imply that he is being forgiven for his wrongdoing. But in my opinion, he did nothing wrong.

Yet I'm not sure that an apology is appropriate either, because the actual people responsible for his persecution under British law are long dead.

Perhaps the best action, in my mind, is an official acknowledgement that homosexuals were wronged by past policies, accompanied by a statement of intent to learn from the mistakes of the past in order to make a better future.
This. But it's already been done, hasn't it?

There's no point in pardoning him now.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events