IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags mars , science humor , zombies

Old 17th January 2021, 08:14 PM   #1
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Could zombies exist on Mars?

First, a disclaimer: I do not actually think that there are zombies presently on Mars.

But, if there were zombies, could they exist on Mars? I mean, if zombies are already dead, do they still need air, water and food? If they don't need these, then zombies could exist on Mars.

I think we need answers to this question before we send people to Mars. If mankind eventually builds colonies on Mars, we need to protect them from the possibility of dead colonists rising from their graves and eating peoples' brains. I don't think NASA is doing the kind of research necessary to answer this, and that President Biden and the Democratically-controlled Congress need to fund the crucially-important research that pro-zombie Republicans have been blocking for years. I for one would not want to go to Mars if I had to worry about being eaten by zombies roaming around the Martian desert and attacking people inside the colony!

Last edited by shemp; 17th January 2021 at 08:15 PM.
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2021, 08:29 PM   #2
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

A1: Yes.

A2: No.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornetsí nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2021, 09:36 PM   #3
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

They would get eaten by the spiders.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2021, 10:19 PM   #4
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
No, spiders are on the moon. I saw it on DoctorWho.
Old 17th January 2021, 10:29 PM   #5
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
First, a disclaimer: I do not actually think that there are zombies presently on Mars.

But, if there were zombies, could they exist on Mars? I mean, if zombies are already dead, do they still need air, water and food? If they don't need these, then zombies could exist on Mars.

I think we need answers to this question before we send people to Mars. If mankind eventually builds colonies on Mars, we need to protect them from the possibility of dead colonists rising from their graves and eating peoples' brains. I don't think NASA is doing the kind of research necessary to answer this, and that President Biden and the Democratically-controlled Congress need to fund the crucially-important research that pro-zombie Republicans have been blocking for years. I for one would not want to go to Mars if I had to worry about being eaten by zombies roaming around the Martian desert and attacking people inside the colony!

Would these be slow zombies or fast zombies?

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2021, 11:12 PM   #6
Lukraak_Sisser
Illuminator

We all know that Martian disintegrator rays are far more efficient than earth made ones, so they'd clean up their zombies in short order.
Lukraak_Sisser is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2021, 11:16 PM   #7
rockinkt
Master Poster

The Zombies have been on Mars since 1964. Rod Argent was looking for a girl but she's not there.

"I've met Bob Dylan's bodyguards and if Steve Earle thinks he can stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table, he's sadly mistaken." Townes Van Zandt

Last edited by rockinkt; 17th January 2021 at 11:28 PM.
rockinkt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th January 2021, 12:01 AM   #8
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

They're the spiders from Mars. That means they're not there any more, they're somewhere else. Duh.

Dave

- President Joseph R. Biden, January 20th, 2021
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th January 2021, 12:50 AM   #9
RolandRat
Muse

I don't think NASA is doing the kind of research necessary to answer this,
You're wrong!

https://climate.nasa.gov/blog/1059/t...lypse-is-nigh/

Just do what a lot of people do and stop at the headline. You don't need to actually read the articles to be informed /nods
RolandRat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th January 2021, 02:22 AM   #10
Roboramma
Penultimate Amazing

Zombies can't exist anywhere.

Mars is a place included in "anywhere".

No, zombies can't exist on Mars.
"... when people thought the Earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the Earth was spherical they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the Earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the Earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together."
Isaac Asimov
Roboramma is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th January 2021, 03:52 AM   #11
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Maybe they live in the Pyramids
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th January 2021, 04:07 AM   #12
DevilsAdvocate
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Lukraak_Sisser View Post
We all know that Martian disintegrator rays are far more efficient than earth made ones, so they'd clean up their zombies in short order.
Martian disintegrator rays are ineffective. When used, it disintegrates.

And, brother, when it disintegrates, it disintegrates.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Old 18th January 2021, 04:11 AM   #13
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Yes, but their eyes would pop out like in Total Recall.
Sideroxylon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th January 2021, 04:18 AM   #14
DevilsAdvocate
Philosopher

Maybe they live in the Pyramids
Pyramids are full of grain storage like the Bible says. They wouldn't have room for zombies. You have to think logical. Don't just believe all this nonsense about spiders on Mars when we know it is lizard vampires from underground interruption momentum formulas generating holistic quantum perceptions of communist copper wristbands bearing secret symbols of the coming of a legislative bill directing a minor change in funding on a program that nobody has heard of that only has a small affect on the amount paid on a federal contract to a single company for a limited period of a few months.
Old 18th January 2021, 05:07 AM   #15
Lukraak_Sisser
Illuminator

Originally Posted by DevilsAdvocate View Post
Martian disintegrator rays are ineffective. When used, it disintegrates.

And, brother, when it disintegrates, it disintegrates.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Yes, but that's the *earth* version.
The martian version worked, even against zombies with a disintegration proof vest.
Lukraak_Sisser is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th January 2021, 07:15 AM   #16
Steve001
Graduate Poster

Only in the movies. https://m.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi1046...ef_=m_tt_ov_vi
Steve001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th January 2021, 11:19 AM   #17
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Wait. Don't zombies need food? Isn't that why they're always chasing and eating members of non-zombie community?
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th January 2021, 11:34 AM   #18
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by RolandRat View Post

A couple years ago both the CDC and FEMA were urging people to prepare for the zombie apocalypse. Their point was that preparing for an attack by the "living impaired" -- stockpiling supplies, making family plans, etc. -- is also good prep for hurricanes, tornadoes, etc.
https://blogs.cdc.gov/publichealthma...ie-apocalypse/
https://www.ready.gov/community-prep...mbie-awareness
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th January 2021, 11:46 AM   #19
Apathia
Philosopher

Zombie Tardigrades, of course!

"Humans aren't rational creatures but rationalizing creatures."
Author Unknown
Apathia is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th January 2021, 04:10 PM   #20
RolandRat
Muse

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
A couple years ago both the CDC and FEMA were urging people to prepare for the zombie apocalypse. Their point was that preparing for an attack by the "living impaired" -- stockpiling supplies, making family plans, etc. -- is also good prep for hurricanes, tornadoes, etc.
https://blogs.cdc.gov/publichealthma...ie-apocalypse/
https://www.ready.gov/community-prep...mbie-awareness
That's actually kinda cool. Although I do think that the people who would actually prepare for a zombie apocalypse may not be the kind of people to act rationally in any other sort of disaster.
RolandRat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th January 2021, 09:04 PM   #21
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Wait. Don't zombies need food? Isn't that why they're always chasing and eating members of non-zombie community?
Maybe they just like the taste?
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th January 2021, 09:50 PM   #22
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

Zombies do require a steady supply of braaaaaiiiiins.
Old 22nd January 2021, 04:33 PM   #23
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

My hunch is that even while zombies are dead, their bodies still consist of bones, cartilage, muscles even, etc, and that they need and employ these for their motion (and commotion). Now I am not an expert on Mars, but doesn't it get awfully cold on Mars' surface, at night at least, on account of larger distance to sun, less of an atmosphere to trap sunlight, and lack of oceans to moderate temperatures? So that would mean the Zombies would have to expend an awful lot of energy to keep from freezing - difficult to do when you are dead. I don't think frozen Zombies are much of a threat.
Old 22nd January 2021, 04:39 PM   #24
Cavemonster
Philosopher

This is why zombies eat brains:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPc7c4W6btY
The weakness of all Utopias is this, ... They first assume that no man will want more than his share, and then are very ingenious in explaining whether his share will be delivered by motorcar or balloon.
-G.K. CHESTERTON
Cavemonster is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2021, 04:47 PM   #25
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

But, if there were zombies, could they exist on Mars?
Depends. There are multiple kinds of zombies. Zombies which are truly dead, but reanimated by dark magic, do not need any of the normal life sustaining things humans need. They could exist on mars, BUT, they would have to be freeze dried first, or the cold temperatures would immobilize them as water in their flesh freezes.

Other zombies, such as those caused by viral infection and other nonmagical means, are not truly dead. They still require biological processes, and they would not survive on Mars.

The biggest thing that zombie stories get wrong, though, is that zombie hordes on earth cannot last. They will always and inevitably be destroyed, in a matter of weeks if not days. What from, you might ask?

Insects. Insects will devour zombie hordes, and pretty quickly.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2021, 12:58 AM   #26
Lupus
Scholar

It's not zombies you should be worrying about on mars but razor killer robots.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCH8...MxaRthD39K_51p
Lupus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology