IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Brexit

Closed Thread
Old 12th November 2020, 04:47 PM   #2121
gypsyjackson
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
And the world leadership of innovative jams and jellies.

ETA Hmm mix the two and britian can corner the european market in makrel jam!
Sadly not. Mackerel would have to be added to the list of stuff it’s acceptable to have in jam. That would mean persuading the European Commission to add it. I fear that might be harder to do for a non-Member State.

Last edited by gypsyjackson; 12th November 2020 at 04:49 PM. Reason: Removed extraneous so.
gypsyjackson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th November 2020, 05:05 PM   #2122
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Cummings out by Xmas!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-54925322
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th November 2020, 12:23 AM   #2123
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Before cheering too much, let's see who is going to replace him.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th November 2020, 02:03 AM   #2124
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

I’ve heard it is going to be a Mr G Huangdi.....
Old 13th November 2020, 02:11 AM   #2125
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

I suppose the question is - how much of a coincidence do we think it is that Cummings is leaving just before the negative consequences of the Brexit that he engineered are due to have an impact?
Old 13th November 2020, 03:19 AM   #2126
Wudang
BOFH

I assume it’s time for him to cash in the favours he granted with taxpayers money and as SB said before the Brexit hits the fans.
Old 13th November 2020, 03:22 AM   #2127
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
I suppose the question is - how much of a coincidence do we think it is that Cummings is leaving just before the negative consequences of the Brexit that he engineered are due to have an impact?
Yes, he can claim that, under his guidance, the first year of Brexit was a resounding success (while the UK still had full access to the EU under the transition arrangements) , it's only when he took his hand off the tiller that it all went horribly wrong (when there was no alternative to facing the realities of Brexit).
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th November 2020, 03:43 AM   #2128
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Which is what we have been told so many times is what those that voted to leave wanted.
Only since they stopped calling us lying fearmongers for saying it would happen.

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th November 2020, 04:54 AM   #2129
Delphic Oracle
Philosopher

Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer View Post
Only since they stopped calling us lying fearmongers for saying it would happen.
And sabotaging the UK at every turn even though they don't have any actual power or capability to do so and that claim is entirely contradictory to the idea they wanted it to turn out this way...
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th November 2020, 05:14 AM   #2130
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Also, can I just point out the irony of Johnson complaining that Vote Leave are only in it for themselves? Because his unchanging stance on Brexit is purely down to his strong ideological views.
Old 13th November 2020, 05:49 AM   #2131
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th November 2020, 07:42 AM   #2132
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

A foreign chap ?

Heaven forfend.
Old 13th November 2020, 08:56 AM   #2133
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

Originally Posted by gypsyjackson View Post
Sadly not. Mackerel would have to be added to the list of stuff it’s acceptable to have in jam. That would mean persuading the European Commission to add it. I fear that might be harder to do for a non-Member State.
I had some of that mackerel jam once and it was disgusting. Threw it out the window. Funny thing was, a load of flowers grew in the spot where it had landed. Puzzling.

Oh, wait, no it was hamsters not mackerel. It's coming back to me now; you get tulips from hamster jam.
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th November 2020, 09:05 AM   #2134
malbui
Beauf

Originally Posted by Jack by the hedge View Post
I had some of that mackerel jam once and it was disgusting. Threw it out the window. Funny thing was, a load of flowers grew in the spot where it had landed. Puzzling.

Oh, wait, no it was hamsters not mackerel. It's coming back to me now; you get tulips from hamster jam.
Go and sit in the corner and think about what you've done.
Old 13th November 2020, 09:57 AM   #2135
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Downing Street denies internal crisis has harmed Brexit talks

Of course it hasn’t, we were ****** already.

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th November 2020, 10:27 AM   #2136
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

How long have you been waiting to make that pun?
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th November 2020, 10:34 AM   #2137
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
Nowhere near long enough.

Dave

- President Joseph R. Biden, January 20th, 2021
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th November 2020, 11:30 AM   #2138
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
Wait? If I had hesitated, I'd have had thought better than to post it.
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th November 2020, 11:46 AM   #2139
gypsyjackson
Graduate Poster

Emperor?
gypsyjackson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th November 2020, 11:46 AM   #2140
wobs
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
Downing Street denies internal crisis has harmed Brexit talks

Of course it hasn’t, we were ****** already.
I can't keep up with all these Cummings and goings.
Old 13th November 2020, 12:29 PM   #2141
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

You're my wife's new comedy hero.

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th November 2020, 03:03 PM   #2142
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Originally Posted by wobs View Post
I can't keep up with all these Cummings and goings.

Weren’t they Mr Pooter’s friends?

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th November 2020, 04:19 PM   #2143
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

John Redwood tweeted

@johnredwood
The EU single market has damaged our economy, crippling us with a huge trade deficit whilst we have a surplus with the rest of the world. They took our fish, cut our food production and even pushed us into importing electricity. Time to break free and do better.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th November 2020, 04:27 PM   #2144
Mojo
Mostly harmless

John Redwood tweeted

@johnredwood
The EU single market has damaged our economy, crippling us with a huge trade deficit whilst we have a surplus with the rest of the world. They took our fish, cut our food production and even pushed us into importing electricity. Time to break free and do better.

The fish again!

Old 14th November 2020, 12:28 AM   #2145
gypsyjackson
Graduate Poster

Dey took er ferrrrrssh!
Old 14th November 2020, 02:03 AM   #2146
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

John Redwood tweeted

@johnredwood
What extraordinary claims.

"We" sold our fishing rights - or more specifically large companies who were granted the vast majority of the fishing quotas decided that it was more profitable to sell those quotas and then diversify into other areas.

Our levels of food production haven't fallen. The UK has been importing the majority of its food for well over a century - apart from during and immediately after World War II. Is John Redwood advocating a return to "dig for victory" and rationing ? The EU didn't force us to do anything, the market chose less expensive food with a much greater variety. I for one don't want to return to the diet of the 70's (and I actually like Spam and haslet).

Likewise with electricity. We import electricity because it's more cost effective to do it that way, not because of some EU diktat. If you want to blame anyone for the state of the UK's electricity industry, blame the Conservatives for privatising it, and for the way they privatised it.

The usual Brexit lies. I wonder whether he actually believes them.
Old 14th November 2020, 02:09 AM   #2147
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
Also, can I just point out the irony of Johnson complaining that Vote Leave are only in it for themselves? Because his unchanging stance on Brexit is purely down to his strong ideological views.

They should be in it for him, of course.

Old 14th November 2020, 02:29 AM   #2148
Archie Gemmill Goal
Philosopher

John Redwood tweeted

@johnredwood
Pushed us into importing electricity is an interesting one. Are the EU in charge of UK electricity generating capacity now?

Crap like that tweet is why I gave up Twitter. Only so much time you can spent tilting at windmills before it gets bad for the mental health

Last edited by Archie Gemmill Goal; 14th November 2020 at 02:30 AM.
Archie Gemmill Goal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th November 2020, 03:47 AM   #2149
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

John Redwood tweeted

@johnredwood
They turned us into a newt. Take back control of getting better.

It's such ********. We buy German cars, they buy London financial services. Except now thanks to the magic of Brexit they won't. So the massive trade deficit Redwood moans about is about to become reality thanks to ***** like him.
Old 14th November 2020, 06:22 AM   #2150
gypsyjackson
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by gypsyjackson View Post
Emperor?
Oh, I just worked it out, I think. Genghis Khan.
Old 14th November 2020, 11:15 AM   #2151
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by catsmate View Post
I wonder if that's why Norwegian herring exports are booming.
That is more to do with Covid19 than Brexit:

Quote:

"The corona crisis has given a particularly high demand for canned herring," said NSC pelagics strategist Jan Eirik Johnsen. "In addition, we see that the ongoing revision of the [Marine Stewardship Council] environmental certification means that buy...https://www.undercurrentnews.com/2020/11/06/another-bumper-haul-for-norwegian-herring-as-exports-trend-down/"
Getting some kind of MSC-certification before it expires.

vilken tröst, vad än som kommer på!
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th November 2020, 10:27 AM   #2152
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Dairy farmers won’t be affected by a possible 35% tariff if there is no trade deal with the EU because "we would be applying our own tariffs on imported EU goods," says Environment Secretary George Eustice

http://bbc.in/3nqZdHz
Old 15th November 2020, 11:42 AM   #2153
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Dairy farmers won’t be affected by a possible 35% tariff if there is no trade deal with the EU because "we would be applying our own tariffs on imported EU goods," says Environment Secretary George Eustice

I'm impressed. He's making a strong showing in the most idiotic minister stakes - which is a very strong field.
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th November 2020, 02:02 AM   #2154
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Yes, because we import more dairy produce than we export and so all of the UK's milk can be consumed in the UK instead. Not only that, but because there may be tariffs on imported dairy produce, consumer prices will go up which will mean that dairy farmers will make more money. This is all great news except.....
  • UK consumers will end up paying more
  • There aren't the facilities in the UK to turn the raw milk into the dairy products that we consume in the UK
  • UK exported dairy products are higher added value so UK dairy farmers will lose out
Old 16th November 2020, 02:54 AM   #2155
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Boris Johnson is reportedly confident that the UK will prosper without an EU trade deal.

Quote:
Boris Johnson has reiterated he is "confident [the UK] will prosper" outside the EU if a post-Brexit trade deal is not agreed with the bloc.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-54958343

I wish I was so sanguine. Perhaps if he was more specific about why he was so confident about the UK's prospects given that we're making it more difficult to deal with our biggest trading partner.

He's repeating the lie that no deal is what Australia has:

Quote:
"If the EU don't respect the sovereignty of the UK, we will leave on Australian terms and the prime minister is confident that we will prosper."
Which completely ignores the large number of bilateral deals the EU and Australia have, and the efforts Australia is making to get an EU trade deal. If the situation was so perfect, why are Australia working so hard ?
Old 16th November 2020, 02:56 AM   #2156
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

"Australian terms" means leave with nothing. It's ********.
Old 16th November 2020, 03:28 AM   #2157
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

It's quite apt. Aussie rules suggests things will appear sort of familiar at first but then turn out to be alarmingly rougher.
Old 16th November 2020, 05:37 PM   #2158
Matthew Ellard
Illuminator

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Which completely ignores the large number of bilateral deals the EU and Australia have, and the efforts Australia is making to get an EU trade deal. If the situation was so perfect, why are Australia working so hard ?
November 2020 "The largest trade deal in history has been signed, with 15 countries including Australia agreeing to the pact, which covers 30 per cent of the global economy.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-11-...-deal/12885666

Well it's obvious. Australia is going for the full complete set of trade deals trading cards with every country in the world.

(I'm a little sad, in that I'm an Aussie, and I bought an excellent Bellings oven, manufactured in the UK. I hope leaving the EU does not put Bellings into financial hardship from a reduced market. It is a good and cost effective oven and the last oven still manufactured in the UK.)
Matthew Ellard is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th November 2020, 04:07 AM   #2159
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

George Eustice Former Minister for Agriculture, Fisheries and Food

told Marr on Sunday that the UK would put up prices (tariffs) on dairy, forcing Arla to move production to the UK to make Lurpak here.
It’s almost as if all Brexit is based on random claims and wishful thinking

Lurpak tweeted
@Lurpak
· 20h
Hi there, Lurpak is subject to legal origin protections which means that Arla can only produce Lurpak® in Denmark with Danish milk; it can't be produced in the UK. Don’t panic, whatever happens with Brexit, we’re sure we’ll be able to find a way to keep Lurpak coming into the UK.
Old 17th November 2020, 04:08 AM   #2160
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

More serious is baby milk powder production. UK imports 90%
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics