IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 6th June 2022, 07:03 AM   #121
SuburbanTurkey

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
So now the things the Left are trying to politically demonize are:

1) The Police
2) The Suburbs
3) Cars

What's next apple pie and baseball?

More and more the liberal political mindset seems to be "Everything Americana is bad."

"Everyone crowd into MEGACITYONE like we're living the good Judge Dredd movie" is some dystopian nonsense to most Americans.
I'm not sure why you're so focused on the suburbs, the context here seems almost entirely focused on the urban core, where the impact of the housing shortage is most acute.

The party is free to continue to bury their head in the sand, but that doesn't make the real material issues that deeply motivate the public go away. People notice that their rents are rapidly going up or that they will never be able to buy a home.

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 6th June 2022 at 07:05 AM.
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th June 2022, 07:04 AM   #122
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
I'm not sure why you're so focused on the suburbs, the context here seems almost entirely focused on the urban core.
The only place that exists for Liberals, which is a problem.
Old 6th June 2022, 07:06 AM   #123
SuburbanTurkey

The only place that exists for Liberals, which is a problem.
Other than whining, what exactly are you proposing?

Do you contest that the situation in California (low density sprawl with out of control cost of living) is a problem?
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th June 2022, 07:09 AM   #124
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Other than whining, what exactly are you proposing?
Not demonizing people who want to live in detached housing.
Old 6th June 2022, 07:12 AM   #125
SuburbanTurkey

NIMBYs aren't demonized because they want to live in detached housing. They're demonized because they feel it's their right to use the law to prevent ordinary market forces from providing housing where housing is needed. They want to make it impossible to build anything but sprawling single family plots in the middle of major urban areas. It's totally asinine and the result is an absolute disaster for the entire community.

There are huge swaths of this country where single family housing is readily available and is not in any danger.

What do you propose to solve the housing supply crisis that doesn't involve building more housing where people need to live? Or do you deny there is a crisis at all, and the current state of affairs needs no correction?

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 6th June 2022 at 07:14 AM.
Old 6th June 2022, 07:55 AM   #126
ahhell
Illuminator

There are some progressives that demonize the burbs, I don't see any of that in this thread. Most of the demonizing is of the rich urbanites' nimbyism, who for the most part identify as liberal or progressive.

That being said, there are good and bad suburbs. Those built from 50s through 90s are mostly bad. Big houses on big lots, not very bikeable or walkable, which is mostly bad for the kids. More recent burbs are better, built more like neighbors were prior to WWII. Smallish lots (though big by pre-war standards) so, fairly dense, houses with porches and right up on the streets. No cul-de-sacs, plenty of parks.

This is the US anyway. For the more conservative out there, bikability isn't about some crunchy hippy enviromental nonsense, its good for kids, more freedom, more exercise.
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th June 2022, 09:09 AM   #127
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

And of course those who want to keep affordable housing out of their town.
ponderingturtle is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th June 2022, 01:23 PM   #128
GodMark2
Master Poster

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
And of course those who want to keep affordable housing poor people out of their town.
fixed your typo
Old 6th June 2022, 01:34 PM   #129
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

1) The Police
2) The Suburbs
3) Cars

More and more the liberal political mindset seems to be "Everything Americana is bad."

"Everyone crowd into MEGACITYONE like we're living in the good Judge Dredd movie" is some dystopian nonsense to most Americans.

I heard someone at Starbucks badmouthing Hall & Oats.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th June 2022, 07:07 PM   #130
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

First paragraph of the article lists her bona fides
I wish people would stop linking paywalled sites.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th June 2022, 08:33 AM   #131
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

https://www.npr.org/2022/06/09/11039...irst-time-ever

"Rents across U.S. rise above $2,000 a month for the first time ever"
ponderingturtle is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th June 2022, 01:08 PM   #132
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

SF is not unique in being a space constrained city. The obvious direction to build is up, but there is extremely effective advocacy to zone out denser forms of residential building. NIMBYs are extremely effective in preventing low density housing areas from building up.

Huge swaths of the city have a building height limit of 40 ft. It's not a complicated mystery what is causing the housing crisis there.
The irony is that San Francisco would lose alot of it's charm if it became one solid block of high rises.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th June 2022, 01:12 PM   #133
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

1) The Police
2) The Suburbs
3) Cars

"Everyone crowd into MEGACITYONE like we're living in the good Judge Dredd movie" is some dystopian nonsense to most Americans.
I would not says the Dems are, but the Progressive faction of the Dems are because these are standard phobias to left wing intellectuals (and have been for a long time)...and the majority of Progs consider themselves to be Left Wing Intellectuals.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events