ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Closed Thread
Old 11th January 2019, 08:48 PM   #1361
Norman Alexander
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Michel H View Post
No, that's not true.

(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/116th_...tates_Congress )
The January 3 House bill was passed on Day One of the new Congress, as explained in your own link:
https://phxux.guampdn.com/story/news...ns/2512363002/.
Then how did they manage to talk to Trump that day if they were in Congress doing government instead?

But the timing is pretty much irrelevant. Trump was never, and is never, going to accept anything from Pelosi and Schumer. Because his Nazi minders tell him not to, and he does what they say. The Dems could offer him his money...built into a bill for universal health care. But he won't sign it out of pure ego and spite, not because he cares about US health care. That's what he has come down to.

Also, this whole episode is designed to be a major distraction from the Mueller thing. That's also a Trump meme - when he gets caught out doing something bad, he makes a bigger dumpster fire of chaotic **** somewhere else to divert everyone's attention. And when that gets out of hand, he will set fire to a whole forest and try to hide behind that. Thing is, he's now gone those whole levels and is trying to divert attention from his forest fire by wrecking the country. And believe me, Trump doesn't give a flying **** what happens to anyone else but him. Everyone is expendable. Just ask the 800,000 furloughed government employees.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th January 2019, 08:56 PM   #1362
Delphic Oracle
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Then how did they manage to talk to Trump that day if they were in Congress doing government instead?
The Speaker isn't always the presiding officer in the chamber. In fact they don't spend a great deal of time there. This is so rising party lieutenants can get more grounded in procedure and so the Speaker can have meetings and engage in diplomacy to keep the action on the floor moving.
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th January 2019, 08:58 PM   #1363
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Delphic Oracle View Post
and so the Speaker can have meetings and engage in diplomacy to keep the action on the floor moving.
Or feast on the blood of the living while hanging upside down in their skull-themed lair. You know, Speaker-stuff.
Old 11th January 2019, 09:02 PM   #1364
Michel H
Graduate Poster

I am not claiming Speaker Pelosi talked to Trump on January 3, right after the House bill was passed. She apparently visited the White House on Jan 9 and spoke with Trump then (and perhaps also before). Trump's tweet:
Quote:
Just left a meeting with Chuck and Nancy, a total waste of time. I asked what is going to happen in 30 days if I quickly open things up, are you going to approve Border Security which includes a Wall or Steel Barrier? Nancy said, NO. I said bye-bye, nothing else works!
is dated January 9.
Michel H is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th January 2019, 09:04 PM   #1365
Delphic Oracle
Master Poster

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Or feast on the blood of the living while hanging upside down in their skull-themed lair. You know, Speaker-stuff.
I was saddened to see bathing in goat's blood under the full moon fall out of fashion as it has. I hear consulting the sacred chickens might be making a comeback, though.
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th January 2019, 09:07 PM   #1366
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

**** Could the mods move the shutdown discussion to the shutdown thread?****

There's enough "Generic Trump Presidency" crap available for this thread, but that thread was very useful. Mah fellow posters, control yourselves, please. Some of us (with varying degrees of OCD) like our threads to be neat and orderly.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th January 2019, 09:14 PM   #1367
Norman Alexander
Illuminator

The Speaker isn't always the presiding officer in the chamber. In fact they don't spend a great deal of time there. This is so rising party lieutenants can get more grounded in procedure and so the Speaker can have meetings and engage in diplomacy to keep the action on the floor moving.
They were actually still swearing in House members.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th January 2019, 09:15 PM   #1368
Steve
Illuminator

I was saddened to see bathing in goat's blood under the full moon fall out of fashion as it has. I hear consulting the sacred chickens might be making a comeback, though.
Furloughing all the goats didn't help. They're not going to just donate their blood without compensation.
Old 11th January 2019, 09:26 PM   #1369
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Posters who cite "infowars" as a source in support of their claims have zero credibility on this forum.

I suggest you stop doing so!
Old 11th January 2019, 09:39 PM   #1370
Delphic Oracle
Master Poster

They were actually still swearing in House members.
Correct, I just really didn't want to get winding into it too much :9.
Old 11th January 2019, 09:51 PM   #1371
Michel H
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Posters who cite "infowars" as a source in support of their claims have zero credibility on this forum.

I suggest you stop doing so!
I would not recommend infowars as a good source of information generally, but I was satisfied with the quality of the particular article I linked to in my post #1360. The tone was rather neutral, just factual information, not propaganda.
Michel H is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th January 2019, 09:56 PM   #1372
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

I would not recommend infowars as a good source of information generally, but I was satisfied with the quality of the particular article I linked to in my post #1360. The tone was rather neutral, just factual information, not propaganda.
How do you know?
Have you tried to verify the information from another source?
Old 11th January 2019, 10:01 PM   #1373
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Just to give everyone an idea of the scope building a wall across the 2000 mile US Mexico border.

This is a video where they flew a helicopter following the border from the Gulf of Mexico to the Pacific Ocean.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Old 11th January 2019, 10:03 PM   #1374
Michel H
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
How do you know?
Have you tried to verify the information from another source?
Yes, I was already aware of much of the info before, actually it had even been reported in this thread. The article's title is:
Quote:
TRUMP RIPS DEM MEETING: PELOSI SAID ‘NO WALL’ — ‘I SAID BYE BYE’
We have already heard of this.
Old 11th January 2019, 10:09 PM   #1375
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Trump lost the House in the Midterms, where he strongly campaigned on his Wall.
The American people told him to stuff it.
So now he has a weak hand, coming to the negotiation table.

If he really wants it, he has to offer something substantial, like Dreamer protection.
But he made clear he won't.
Old 11th January 2019, 10:17 PM   #1376
Minoosh
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
**** Could the mods move the shutdown discussion to the shutdown thread?****

There's enough "Generic Trump Presidency" crap available for this thread, but that thread was very useful. Mah fellow posters, control yourselves, please. Some of us (with varying degrees of OCD) like our threads to be neat and orderly.
There will be some unavoidable overlap, IMO. The general Trump stuff has recently been about The Wall and that's gotten all mixed up with the shutdown. So, I think people can exercise judgment about which thread to post in. I don't think any posts have to be moved, as long as people are mindful of the other thread while posting on this one.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th January 2019, 10:28 PM   #1377
Minoosh
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Trump lost the House in the Midterms, where he strongly campaigned on his Wall.
The American people told him to stuff it.
So now he has a weak hand, coming to the negotiation table.

If he really wants it, he has to offer something substantial, like Dreamer protection.
But he made clear he won't.
Or hell, demand even more - comprehensive immigration reform. Dust off the McCain-Kennedy bill, or insist on steps toward instigating UHS. Yes, people will claim that those issues are being inappropriately tied to the government shutdown, but that's already happening with the wall anyway.

The Senate 10 years ago actually passed a bill that called for provisional legalization of everyone who came forward. It was attached to a misdemeanor plea, fingerprinting, fines, maybe even DNA samples. The three-pronged approach was: Give provisional legal status to a large group. Build substantive border barriers. Sort out a visa system for both skilled and unskilled labor and address chain immigration etc. I believe many Mexicans would prefer to keep their families in Mexico if they had a legal means of obtaining seasonal work.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th January 2019, 11:23 PM   #1378
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
1. Over 90% of all Mexican cartel drugs that come in across the US-Mexican border do so through the legitimate ports of entry on the border, smuggled in in trucks and vehicles. A wall is not going to make any difference to this.
Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
Are you sure about the statistic? According to this 2017 DHS slide deck, in 2016, it was 78% coming through ports of entry. Obviously, that's a large majority.
I see now that the NY Times reports that 90% of heroin comes in between ports of entry, though that figure includes all borders and not just the southern border. This might explain the discrepancy between smartcooky's statistic and what I found in a brief google search.

The year is different as well (mine was 2016, his 2017), but I doubt these numbers change much.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th January 2019, 11:39 PM   #1379
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

I see now that the NY Times reports that 90% of heroin comes in between ports of entry, though that figure includes all borders and not just the southern border. This might explain the discrepancy between smartcooky's statistic and what I found in a brief google search.

The year is different as well (mine was 2016, his 2017), but I doubt these numbers change much.
I've also always had a problem with that factoid. It's assuming information that they couldn't possibly have information for. How can they say how drugs entered the country that they didn't seize?
Old 12th January 2019, 12:03 AM   #1380
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Well that was what I was picking up on. I have seen the 90% figure bandied about before.

However, regardless of whether it is a precise figure, 78% or 84% or 93% or whatever... it is a fact that large majority of all the drugs brought into the USA comes in through ports of entry, and it is a fact that NONE of it will be stopped by building a wall.

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
I've also always had a problem with that factoid. It's assuming information that they couldn't possibly have information for. How can they say how drugs entered the country that they didn't seize?
Drug enforcement agencies are able to accurately estimate how much of the total drug trade they have been able to seize, and how much they have missed, by the use of chemical and statistical analysis.

No two batches of drugs are exactly alike - and the DEA chemically analyses and catalogues every border seizure they make, as well as every seizure they make within the borders in drig busts etc. Drug manufacturers have particular techniques they use and these techniques are often reflected in the chemical analysis. This way they are able to trace both border seizures and internal drug busts back the their likely source, in much the same way that bomb analysis experts are able to examine a bomb and trace it back to a specific bomb-maker.

When enforcement officers find previously undiscovered "cuts" of cocaine or heroin turning up among drug users, they know they have missed something.

Its actually a lot more complex than I have stated, but those were the highlights of the simple version.

Last edited by smartcooky; 12th January 2019 at 12:07 AM.
smartcooky is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th January 2019, 12:35 AM   #1381
Norman Alexander
Illuminator

So, in short, coherent and easily researchable facts are readily available to Trump and his advisors, including from his own departments. But even so, they, and he, will disparage those facts, deny them, lie through their teeth and make stupid **** up to try to force their way on government. And then he wonders why nobody takes him seriously.
Old 12th January 2019, 12:42 AM   #1382
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
Originally Posted by Firestone View Post
Making jokes about Crenshaw is delicate, so I'll just post this amazing tweet without further comment:

"In an alternate universe where Republicans still held the House, the government would be open, federal workers would have their paychecks, and Border Patrol would have the funding and tools they need.

Just something to think about."

https://twitter.com/DanCrenshawTX/st...18371647447040
Who held the House in this universe when the shutdown started?
Old 12th January 2019, 01:09 AM   #1383
Firestone
Proud Award Award recipient

Originally Posted by timhau View Post
Who held the House in this universe when the shutdown started?
Probably the "Judean People's Front". Or was it the "People's Front of Judea"?

I'm too young to remember, and so apparently is Rep. Crenshaw .
Old 12th January 2019, 01:20 AM   #1384
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
And if the wall is not manned: through it. Elaborate tools are not needed to defeat tall steel slats.
Indeed not, but the scrap value would probably be attractive and in nice, easy to carry, widths.

getting a contract to supply repair materials for the wall would probably be lucrative if it did get built.
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th January 2019, 01:21 AM   #1385
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
In order to make amends, step one is to subject yourself to one full hour of uninterrupted Trump speeches in a locked room.
Deal. I get headphones and a game to play, though, given that that would actually be a productive use of the time.

Originally Posted by AnonyMoose View Post
He'll care when his base starts to feel the hurt of his governing-style personally (shutdowns, tariffs, government over-expenditures, etc etc)... and start screaming for his head on a platter.

Patience grasshopper.

When ten-toothed Trumpians lose that beautiful sound of jingling coins in their pocket, all hell will break loose.
Hasn't turned the soybean farmers yet, by the look of it.

Also, this whole episode is designed to be a major distraction from the Mueller thing. That's also a Trump meme - when he gets caught out doing something bad, he makes a bigger dumpster fire of chaotic **** somewhere else to divert everyone's attention. And when that gets out of hand, he will set fire to a whole forest and try to hide behind that. Thing is, he's now gone those whole levels and is trying to divert attention from his forest fire by wrecking the country. And believe me, Trump doesn't give a flying **** what happens to anyone else but him. Everyone is expendable. Just ask the 800,000 furloughed government employees.
Is it worth mentioning the lawsuits against him that are being stalled by the shutdown, again? Nothing else was working to stop them until this. So... Trump may well reminisce fondly about how wonderful the shutdown was, much like he's done with other events that hurt a lot of people.

Last edited by Aridas; 12th January 2019 at 01:24 AM.
Aridas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th January 2019, 02:14 AM   #1386
Norman Alexander
Illuminator

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
Indeed not, but the scrap value would probably be attractive and in nice, easy to carry, widths.

getting a contract to supply repair materials for the wall would probably be lucrative if it did get built.
Would not the former be a good source of material for the latter?
Old 12th January 2019, 02:18 AM   #1387
Norman Alexander
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Aridas View Post
Is it worth mentioning the lawsuits against him that are being stalled by the shutdown, again? Nothing else was working to stop them until this. So... Trump may well reminisce fondly about how wonderful the shutdown was, much like he's done with other events that hurt a lot of people.
Since this now the longest government shut down ever, Trump is going to so totally own it and boast how his is the biggest, strongest shutdown ever! He is very likely proud of it!
Old 12th January 2019, 02:51 AM   #1388
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Would not the former be a good source of material for the latter?
I was thinking along those lines. Of course that would mean that the materials would come from Mexico. I'm guessing it would be easier to "fence" US government property outside the US.
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th January 2019, 04:09 AM   #1389
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

So, in short, coherent and easily researchable facts are readily available to Trump and his advisors, including from his own departments. But even so, they, and he, will disparage those facts, deny them, lie through their teeth and make stupid **** up to try to force their way on government. And then he wonders why nobody takes him seriously.

They haven't got much choice, since the facts don't support the claims they are making, or the reasons they profess for wanting what they want.
Old 12th January 2019, 04:19 AM   #1390
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

https://twitter.com/wolfblitzer/stat...82128880574469

Quote:
At a Republican presidential debate in 2016, I asked @realDonaldTrump: "If you don't get an actual check from the Mexican government for $8 billion or $10 billion or $12 billion, whatever it will cost, how are you going to make them pay for the wall?" Here's his response:
Video embedded in tweet.
Old 12th January 2019, 04:20 AM   #1391
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Originally Posted by SezMe View Post
Could someone translate this into English, please. What the hell is he yammering about?

I think he must be saying that the wall is going to prevent Americans fleeing the country.

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th January 2019, 04:23 AM   #1392
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Hell, he doesn't even seem to run his businesses very well. Based on what I know now he seems to have always relied on other people giving him money. Don't know how he manages that.
One of those strange ironies of life is that companies queue up to give stuff to rich people, doubly so if they're famous rich people.

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th January 2019, 04:40 AM   #1393
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by JDC View Post
I knew that neutrinos are coy little beasts but I had no idea ...

In Brian Green's multiverse book, The Hidden Reality, he notes that they can pass through a LIGHT YEAR of solid lead and not interact with it in the least!

Cheers,
Jeff

EDIT: ooops, wrong thread! It's still cool!
So it's like a fact passing through Trump's brain without interacting with anything?

(There you go, I've brought it 'on thread' for you).

P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th January 2019, 04:42 AM   #1394
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
As far as Trump is concerned any such conflation is irrelevant, since he is deserving of neither.
You'll get no argument there from me. I was was just pointing out that the point you conceded, you were correct about using one definition. IMHO anyway.

Old 12th January 2019, 04:52 AM   #1395
Dragon
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer View Post
So it's like a fact passing through Trump's brain without interacting with anything?

Well played, sir!

That deserves to be a meme - Facts are to Trump as neutrinos are to matter.
Old 12th January 2019, 05:14 AM   #1396
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

So, you're knowingly foisting an infamously unreliable data source. One thing worse than delusionality ... lazy delusionality.
Old 12th January 2019, 05:27 AM   #1397
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer View Post

Depends on how dense Trump’s brain is.

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th January 2019, 05:38 AM   #1398
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

trump having a nice long Twitter rant about Comey and what a 'crooked cop' he was.
Firing him was a 'great day' for America.

I posted the actual tweets on the Mueller thread.

Apparently Comey is a "Crooked Cop" who is.
Quote:
"being totally protected by his best friend, Bob Mueller, & the 13 Angry Democrats - leaking machines who have NO interest in going after the Real Collusion (and much more) by Crooked Hillary Clinton, her Campaign, and the Democratic National Committee. Just Watch!"

Last edited by Captain_Swoop; 12th January 2019 at 05:55 AM.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th January 2019, 06:42 AM   #1399
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

I have been FAR tougher on Russia than Obama, Bush or Clinton. Maybe tougher than any other President. At the same time, & as I have often said, getting along with Russia is a good thing, not a bad thing. I fully expect that someday we will have good relations with Russia again!
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th January 2019, 06:56 AM   #1400
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
trump having a nice long Twitter rant about Comey and what a 'crooked cop' he was.
Firing him was a 'great day' for America.

I posted the actual tweets on the Mueller thread.

Apparently Comey is a "Crooked Cop" who is.
I'm trying to imagine how a TSA employee who makes $38,000 a year would feel about this tweet.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics