ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Closed Thread
Old 2nd January 2019, 06:41 PM   #201
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator
 
Foolmewunz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Pattaya, Thailand
Posts: 40,018
Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
I was going to point out that McSally lost but fortunately took the time to look and see that she's been appointed to replace McCain/Kyl.
Yeah, you know what I missed? The segment on Hannity or Limbaugh or Ingraham or Carlson or any of the F&F talking heads and fine legs team... decrying the Republicans for giving prizes to people who come in second, thereby destroying the moral fiber of our country with their conservative snowflake values. Participation Trophy!

I also missed the Tweet from the White House. "Want to welcome big loser McSally to the team. Did almost as much as me to turn Arizona blue. Losers! We're the best losers."
__________________
Ha! Foolmewunz has just been added to the list of people who aren't complete idiots. Hokulele

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2019, 07:12 PM   #202
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing
 
CapelDodger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Cardiff, South Wales
Posts: 24,282
Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
"The reason it's down is because I called up some of the OPEC people, I say 'don't do it.'... I called up certain people and I said 'let that damn oil and gasoline, you let it flow,' the oil."
The Saudis and Russia agreed to reduce production at OPEC. Whether they have is a different matter, but they certainly haven't increased it.

When Trump said MBS had promised to increase production because of Trump's great personal chemistry, it became an established fact in Trump's mind that MBS had not only made said promise but had already followed through on it.

Of course the oil price is off because global economic confidence is off, in no small part because of Trump's behaviour, so there is that he can crow about.
__________________
It's a poor sort of memory that only works backward - Lewis Carroll (1832-1898)

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2019, 07:16 PM   #203
Mumbles
Philosopher
 
Mumbles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 6,675
Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
Yeah, you know what I missed? The segment on Hannity or Limbaugh or Ingraham or Carlson or any of the F&F talking heads and fine legs team... decrying the Republicans for giving prizes to people who come in second, thereby destroying the moral fiber of our country with their conservative snowflake values. Participation Trophy!

I also missed the Tweet from the White House. "Want to welcome big loser McSally to the team. Did almost as much as me to turn Arizona blue. Losers! We're the best losers."
To be fair, they also love confederate flags and statues. Participation trophies are fine, just as long as you're a white supremacist.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2019, 07:17 PM   #204
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 72,194
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Amen to that. He is driven by and controlled by his extreme narcissism. It means he must feel that he always 'wins'. Winning is getting what he wants. Compromising is losing to him.
But he can be conned, if the Democrats just use intelligence instead of reacting back.

Right now, I say attack McConnell and any other GOP Trumpers. If only the Democrats knew how to mount a counter campaign. It's not that hard people.

Talking points:
We don't have 5 billion to waste on Trump fantasies.
There is not a border crisis.
Counter the news shots of a handful of people jumping the fence (yesterday's news showing tear gas like it was a mob/riot) by putting it in perspective, it was a handful of trouble makers that were easily deterred and not by the fence.
If they want to make Trump think he got something, give him a little for the wall only when combined with the enforcement Pelosi and Schumer want the money to go to.
Et cetera.
__________________
Restore checks and balances no matter your party affiliation.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 2nd January 2019 at 07:21 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2019, 07:20 PM   #205
Norman Alexander
Illuminator
 
Norman Alexander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 4,698
Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
Most of the supporters usually argue that, because the German Nazi party had the word "socialist" in its title, they were commies.
And because the DPRK has "Democratic" in its title, North Korea is a democracy.

</derail>
__________________
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2019, 07:23 PM   #206
Norman Alexander
Illuminator
 
Norman Alexander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 4,698
Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
I more or less agree and I would take it a step further: Give him the 5 billion, and craft the legislation so that (1) it MUST be spent on NEW wall (2) the location for the new wall is defined with great specificity, and (3) an array of internet cameras will allow the public to monitor progress.

Then Pelosi can say... OK Mr President, even though we don't believe the wall can be built as inexpensively and as quickly as you say, this is your chance to prove us wrong. We'll all be carefully watching.

That should kill it off going forward. The 5 billion is a reasonable investment seen in this light.
Trump won't care. As long as it is Trump Industries given the building contract exclusively, Trump is $5 billion richer personally. That's his true goal.
__________________
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2019, 07:30 PM   #207
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing
 
varwoche's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Puget Sound
Posts: 12,609
Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Trump won't care. As long as it is Trump Industries given the building contract exclusively, Trump is $5 billion richer personally. That's his true goal.
The angle I envision in this fantasy scenario is, the progress would be so poor, the cost so high, the failure so visible, that the wall would get blown out of the water. "Trump Industries" as the contractor would make cost overruns that much more likely, killing the wall forever.
__________________
To survive election season on a skeptics forum, one must understand Hymie-the-Robot.
varwoche is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2019, 07:58 PM   #208
Norman Alexander
Illuminator
 
Norman Alexander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 4,698
Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
The angle I envision in this fantasy scenario is, the progress would be so poor, the cost so high, the failure so visible, that the wall would get blown out of the water. "Trump Industries" as the contractor would make cost overruns that much more likely, killing the wall forever.
Again, no matter to Trump. He will already be $5bn richer (it will all be in Russian or Arab banks in a flash of receipt) and will simply bankrupt whatever shell company is necessary to avoid penalties. He never gets involved directly, always lets someone else carry the can, never pays his debts. That's been his MO for decades. Remember: This is about personal gain for Trump.
__________________
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015

Last edited by Norman Alexander; 2nd January 2019 at 08:01 PM.
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2019, 08:19 PM   #209
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing
 
alfaniner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 19,398
Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
This was actually on the desk in front of Trump!
I only caught a glimpse of that at first and thought I imagined it. The exponentially weird things are -- the sheer size of the poster, and the fact that it was never mentioned during the entire nearly two-hour meeting.
__________________
Science is self-correcting.
Woo is self-contradicting.
alfaniner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2019, 08:45 PM   #210
SezMe
post-pre-born
 
SezMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Posts: 23,003
Originally Posted by Firestone View Post
Mittens is such a chameleon. I would trust him as far as I can throw a Mormon Temple.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2019, 09:02 PM   #211
SezMe
post-pre-born
 
SezMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Posts: 23,003
Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
I disagree. The Dems cannot let Trump win. We can't have a government run by temper tantrums. It sets a bad precedent.
acbytesla is right but I'd offer a different reason. The Wall was Dump's signature campaign theme. If he can't get that done, the knuckle-draggers might just stay home in 2020 figuring, "Why the hell vote. None of those so-called conservatives in DC get a damn thing done." The hard core won't vote Dem at all so abstention is their best choice.

Plus, by the time the 2020 campaign is in full swing, I expect the economy to be in the toilet. So what's Dump gonna run on. Hell, he might not run at all.

Add a topping of Mueller indictments up the wazoo plus finding of an uncountable number of financial fraud cases and the GOP will be able to count their votes on the back of a postcard.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2019, 09:20 PM   #212
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing
 
acbytesla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 20,753
Originally Posted by SezMe View Post
acbytesla is right but I'd offer a different reason. The Wall was Dump's signature campaign theme. If he can't get that done, the knuckle-draggers might just stay home in 2020 figuring, "Why the hell vote. None of those so-called conservatives in DC get a damn thing done." The hard core won't vote Dem at all so abstention is their best choice.

Plus, by the time the 2020 campaign is in full swing, I expect the economy to be in the toilet. So what's Dump gonna run on. Hell, he might not run at all.

Add a topping of Mueller indictments up the wazoo plus finding of an uncountable number of financial fraud cases and the GOP will be able to count their votes on the back of a postcard.
I don't know if I'm right. But I do agree with a lot of your reasoning. I think most important is the message the Democrats deliver. It should emphasize that the Democrats are here to work. That Trump promised EVERYONE that he would build the wall and Mexico would pay for it. So don't come running to the American taxpayer to bail him out like so many of his failed businesses.
__________________
“ A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence. ”
― David Hume
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2019, 10:08 PM   #213
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator
 
Foolmewunz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Pattaya, Thailand
Posts: 40,018
Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
I don't know if I'm right. But I do agree with a lot of your reasoning. I think most important is the message the Democrats deliver. It should emphasize that the Democrats are here to work. That Trump promised EVERYONE that he would build the wall and Mexico would pay for it. So don't come running to the American taxpayer to bail him out like so many of his failed businesses.
I basically concur. Assign Trump-trolling duty to the wannabe candidates, comedians, columnists, et al... Dems in both houses have to keep presenting the public with the proposals they've put in place and repeat, repeat, repeat.... The House and Senate already agree that everything they need/want is in there... Except The Stupid Wall...

Trump needs that wall for photo ops in 2020. His right wing critics are certainly going to be running with great pictures of "Not A Wall" if he doesn't have at least two hundred meters of Great Wall of Trump from which Fox & Friends can do their morning show.
__________________
Ha! Foolmewunz has just been added to the list of people who aren't complete idiots. Hokulele

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2019, 10:26 PM   #214
Minoosh
Philosopher
 
Minoosh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 8,713
Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
On Mattis: "What has he done for me? How has he done in Afghanistan? Not too good. I'm not happy with what he's done in Afghanistan & I shouldn't be happy...So I mean, I wish him well. I hope he does well. Obama fired him and essentially so did I. I want results."
On the one hand I really, really appreciate the work you do distilling Trump down to the essence, in his own words.

On the other hand ... this amplifies his message, the tiniest bit. It looks absurd to those of us in the know at ISF. But it probably goes over very well with a certain segment of the populace.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2019, 10:32 PM   #215
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 4,845
Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
Or he rejects the $5 billion now and demands more under the guise of "negotiating".
It's up to 5.6 billion already, isn't it?
__________________
So sayeth the crazy little dragon.
Aridas is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2019, 10:36 PM   #216
Norman Alexander
Illuminator
 
Norman Alexander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 4,698
Originally Posted by Aridas View Post
It's up to 5.6 billion already, isn't it?
Let's just go with "Bigly" billions. Donny is not good with numbers.
__________________
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2019, 02:40 AM   #217
Arcade22
Illuminator
 
Arcade22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sweden
Posts: 4,946
Quote:
“Russia used to be the Soviet Union. Afghanistan made it Russia, because they went bankrupt fighting in Afghanistan. Russia. … The reason Russia was in Afghanistan was because terrorists were going into Russia. They were right to be there. The problem is, it was a tough fight. And literally they went bankrupt; they went into being called Russia again, as opposed to the Soviet Union. You know, a lot of these places you’re reading about now are no longer part of Russia, because of Afghanistan.”
https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...a-afghanistan/

A little history lesson: the Afghanistan war didn't cause the collapse of the Soviet Union although it did exacerbate the poor socioeconomic conditions there. Instead it collapsed mainly because of nationalist tensions where the states that were forcibly annexed into the Soviet Union, most importantly the Baltic Countries, sought to become independent. Once it became apparent that they were going to break away the leaders of other states saw the writing on the wall and also wanted out, especially after the August coup basically ruined Gorbachev's plans for a more federal and less imperial Union.

Afghanistan was largely peaceful, if poorly developed, and didn't export terrorists to the Soviet Union or anywhere else. Terrorism only became a problem in Afghanistan after the insurgency against the Soviet backed Communist government started, and even then it only became a regional let alone a global security threat after the Soviet Union had actually left.

Also the Soviet Union never became "literally bankrupt" because of the Afghanistan war.
__________________
Freedom you all want, you want freedom. Why then do you haggle over a more or less? Freedom can only be the whole of freedom; a piece of freedom is not freedom. You despair of the possibility of obtaining the whole of freedom, freedom from everything - yes, you consider it insanity even to wish this? - Well, then leave off chasing after the phantom, and spend your pains on something better than the - unattainable. - Max Stirner
Arcade22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2019, 03:04 AM   #218
Bob001
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 8,472
Originally Posted by Arcade22 View Post
https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...a-afghanistan/

A little history lesson: the Afghanistan war didn't cause the collapse of the Soviet Union although it did exacerbate the poor socioeconomic conditions there.
.....
A CNN commentator made the point that it's wildly unlikely that Trump has made a personal study of the history of the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan. But Trump does seem to have adopted the official Russian position, perhaps articulated by his BFF Vlad personally, that the invasion was good and right and justified and necessary. The Russians don't even need to buy Trump off if he swallows whatever they tell him. Vlad owns Trump, one way or another.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2019, 07:13 AM   #219
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing
 
Squeegee Beckenheim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 23,596
It's being reported that House Judiciary Committee Republicans' seeking of new investigative counsel signals a move to a "defensive position", in expectation of impeachment proceedings
__________________
I don't trust atoms. They make up everything.
Squeegee Beckenheim is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2019, 07:37 AM   #220
Firestone
Proud Award Award recipient
 
Firestone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Belgium
Posts: 2,068
Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
From your link:

Quote:
First look ... Rep. Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.), who today goes from majority leader to minority leader, will say in remarks during today's gavel-handover session:

As Ronald Reagan advised us, America is too great for small dreams. When we work together, we succeed together. We are now entering a period of divided government, but that is no excuse for gridlock and inaction. We are at our best when we focus not on retribution but on building a more perfect union.
(bolding mine)

After the pitiful performance of the GOP House majority these last 8 years, one can only wonder if people like McCarthy have any self-awareness at all.
__________________
The method of science is tried and true. It is not perfect, it's just the best we have. And to abandon it, with its skeptical protocols is the pathway to a dark age. -- Carl Sagan
Firestone is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2019, 07:45 AM   #221
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing
 
Captain_Swoop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 19,409
Trump Tweets

“MAGA list: 205 ‘historic results’ help Trump make case for 2020 re-election”
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/w...020-reelection
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2019, 07:47 AM   #222
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing
 
Captain_Swoop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 19,409
Trump Tweets

The Shutdown is only because of the 2020 Presidential Election. The Democrats know they can’t win based on all of the achievements of “Trump,” so they are going all out on the desperately needed Wall and Border Security - and Presidential Harassment. For them, strictly politics!
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2019, 07:59 AM   #223
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator
 
Foolmewunz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Pattaya, Thailand
Posts: 40,018
Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Tweets

The Shutdown is only because of the 2020 Presidential Election. The Democrats know they can’t win based on all of the achievements of “Trump,” so they are going all out on the desperately needed Wall and Border Security - and Presidential Harassment. For them, strictly politics!
He really sticks to the old Rove playbook, don't he. (Accuse your opponent of your worst flaw.) All he does is run for office. Everything he Tweets or says is with that one goal in mind,... winning again in 2020.
__________________
Ha! Foolmewunz has just been added to the list of people who aren't complete idiots. Hokulele

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2019, 08:08 AM   #224
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing
 
varwoche's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Puget Sound
Posts: 12,609
Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Again, no matter to Trump. He will already be $5bn richer (it will all be in Russian or Arab banks in a flash of receipt) and will simply bankrupt whatever shell company is necessary to avoid penalties. He never gets involved directly, always lets someone else carry the can, never pays his debts. That's been his MO for decades. Remember: This is about personal gain for Trump.
I hear you. The thing is, it's dangerous to get into a road rage incident in your shiny new BMW when the other guy doesn't give a damn because he's driving a beater car.
__________________
To survive election season on a skeptics forum, one must understand Hymie-the-Robot.
varwoche is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2019, 08:25 AM   #225
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 15,319
Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Tweets

The Shutdown is only because of the 2020 Presidential Election. The Democrats know they can’t win based on all of the achievements of “Trump,” so they are going all out on the desperately needed Wall and Border Security - and Presidential Harassment. For them, strictly politics!
Captain,

Your quotes of Trump's tweets help keep me informed of and amazed by his idiocy because I do not follow them directly. And I appreciate it. I recognize they are their own self parody, but unadorned they also give me the creepy feeling that he's oozed into this Forum too. He already gets far too much exposure of his secretions.

Might I just ask that you add some of your own comments more often when you post these quotes just so I don't have to see them standing on their own and undiluted by intelligence? Thanks - you'll help my mood a lot!
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2019, 08:34 AM   #226
Worm
Master Poster
 
Worm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Dundee
Posts: 2,561
Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Tweets

“MAGA list: 205 ‘historic results’ help Trump make case for 2020 re-election”
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/w...020-reelection
That list is really quite funny. Even if you ignore the 'truth' aspect, and no doubt someone somewhere is beavering away at fact checking all this lot.
Just to start from the beginning:

Quote:
  • Almost 4 million jobs created since election.
  • More Americans are now employed than ever recorded before in our history.
  • We have created more than 400,000 manufacturing jobs since my election.
  • Manufacturing jobs growing at the fastest rate in more than THREE DECADES.
So, that's basically the same point four times. (and there are plenty of other examples)

Some of them are just statements rather than results.

Quote:
We are committed to VOCATIONAL education.
Good for you. What is that resulting in?

Quote:
We have begun BUILDING THE WALL. Republicans want STRONG BORDERS and NO CRIME. Democrats want OPEN BORDERS which equals MASSIVE CRIME.
This seems to have tipped over into a diatribe.
__________________
"Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent" Isaac Asimov

Not all cults are bad - I've joined a cult of niceness
Worm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2019, 08:34 AM   #227
carlitos
"más divertido"
 
carlitos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 19,488
A couple of the year-end reviews have mentioned the high number of "acting" cabinet members and vacancies. This is a real problem; he has not built an organization that can effectively run the government. Between the shutdown, vacancies, poor communication, incompetence and lack of clear direction, our federal government is not exactly poised to deliver excellent service right now.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2019, 08:35 AM   #228
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 5,178
Matt Whittaker's kissing of the presidential ring at that Cabinet press conference was pretty nausea inducing. Do you think he took lessons from Kim's top suck up?
__________________
"I know my brain cannot tell me what to think." - Scorpion

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2019, 08:35 AM   #229
carlitos
"más divertido"
 
carlitos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 19,488
Originally Posted by Giordano View Post
Captain,

Your quotes of Trump's tweets help keep me informed of and amazed by his idiocy because I do not follow them directly. And I appreciate it. I recognize they are their own self parody, but unadorned they also give me the creepy feeling that he's oozed into this Forum too. He already gets far too much exposure of his secretions.

Might I just ask that you add some of your own comments more often when you post these quotes just so I don't have to see them standing on their own and undiluted by intelligence? Thanks - you'll help my mood a lot!
Ditto - if he's not going to use quote tags, at least please indent Trump's words so that we know who's saying what.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2019, 08:51 AM   #230
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing
 
Captain_Swoop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 19,409
Trump Tweets

The United States Treasury has taken in MANY billions of dollars from the Tariffs we are charging China and other countries that have not treated us fairly. In the meantime we are doing well in various Trade Negotiations currently going on. At some point this had to be done!
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2019, 08:53 AM   #231
carlitos
"más divertido"
 
carlitos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 19,488
Smoot / Hawley 2020!
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2019, 09:38 AM   #232
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator
 
Foolmewunz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Pattaya, Thailand
Posts: 40,018
Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Tweets

The United States Treasury has taken in MANY billions of dollars from the Tariffs we are charging China and other countries that have not treated us fairly. In the meantime we are doing well in various Trade Negotiations currently going on. At some point this had to be done!
Treasury always takes in billions in duty. He has to show that it's billions more than a similar/comparable quarter. 4th Qtr of '18 vs 4th Qtr of '17. Christmas merchandise, largely from China, arrives in Q4.
__________________
Ha! Foolmewunz has just been added to the list of people who aren't complete idiots. Hokulele

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2019, 09:44 AM   #233
Worm
Master Poster
 
Worm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Dundee
Posts: 2,561
He still doesn't understand how Tariffs work.
__________________
"Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent" Isaac Asimov

Not all cults are bad - I've joined a cult of niceness
Worm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2019, 10:01 AM   #234
Arcade22
Illuminator
 
Arcade22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sweden
Posts: 4,946
Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
Treasury always takes in billions in duty. He has to show that it's billions more than a similar/comparable quarter. 4th Qtr of '18 vs 4th Qtr of '17. Christmas merchandise, largely from China, arrives in Q4.
He would still be wrong because they aren't charging "China and other countries that have not treated us fairly". It's Americans that are being charged with the tariffs and have to pay more money to buy stuff.
__________________
Freedom you all want, you want freedom. Why then do you haggle over a more or less? Freedom can only be the whole of freedom; a piece of freedom is not freedom. You despair of the possibility of obtaining the whole of freedom, freedom from everything - yes, you consider it insanity even to wish this? - Well, then leave off chasing after the phantom, and spend your pains on something better than the - unattainable. - Max Stirner
Arcade22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2019, 10:02 AM   #235
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing
 
acbytesla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 20,753
Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
I basically concur. Assign Trump-trolling duty to the wannabe candidates, comedians, columnists, et al... Dems in both houses have to keep presenting the public with the proposals they've put in place and repeat, repeat, repeat.... The House and Senate already agree that everything they need/want is in there... Except The Stupid Wall...

Trump needs that wall for photo ops in 2020. His right wing critics are certainly going to be running with great pictures of "Not A Wall" if he doesn't have at least two hundred meters of Great Wall of Trump from which Fox & Friends can do their morning show.
We can give him a wall.....and a blindfold ....and maybe a cigarette..
__________________
“ A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence. ”
― David Hume
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2019, 10:23 AM   #236
carlitos
"más divertido"
 
carlitos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 19,488
Originally Posted by Arcade22 View Post
He would still be wrong because they aren't charging "China and other countries that have not treated us fairly". It's Americans that are being charged with the tariffs and have to pay more money to buy stuff.
No kidding. I'm making this up as an example. Pick a car, say the Chevy Impala.
Assumptions, pre tariff:
Steel = $1000 of cost.
Computer parts = $500 of cost.
Car costs $20,000

Assumptions, post tariff:
Steel and silicon computer bits from China now with 20% duty.
Steel = $1200 of cost.
Computer parts = $600 of cost.
Car costs $20,300

How is China "paying" this 20%????
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2019, 10:32 AM   #237
lobosrul5
Graduate Poster
 
lobosrul5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 1,556
Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
No kidding. I'm making this up as an example. Pick a car, say the Chevy Impala.
Assumptions, pre tariff:
Steel = $1000 of cost.
Computer parts = $500 of cost.
Car costs $20,000

Assumptions, post tariff:
Steel and silicon computer bits from China now with 20% duty.
Steel = $1200 of cost.
Computer parts = $600 of cost.
Car costs $20,300

How is China "paying" this 20%????
Because a US competitor will "magically" start up and be able to produce said items for less! You see in Trumps mind computer parts manufacturing is simple, new factories can be built in a few weeks with little start up costs or lead time for R&D and tooling.

Oh and of course the vast majority of steel used by "Detroit" comes from Canada.
lobosrul5 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2019, 11:04 AM   #238
Regnad Kcin
Philosopher
 
Regnad Kcin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,205
Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Tweets

The Shutdown is only because of the 2020 Presidential Election. The Democrats know they can’t win based on all of the achievements of “Trump,” so they are going all out on the desperately needed Wall and Border Security - and Presidential Harassment. For them, strictly politics!
I know, right? The midterms were a veritable debacle for the Democrats.
__________________
My heros are Alex Zanardi and Evelyn Glennie.
Regnad Kcin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2019, 11:11 AM   #239
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing
 
Captain_Swoop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 19,409
Trump Tweets

The RNC has a great Chairwoman in Ronna McDaniel and the
@GOP has never been stronger. We achieved historic wins with her help last year! #MAGA
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2019, 11:12 AM   #240
carlitos
"más divertido"
 
carlitos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 19,488
Originally Posted by lobosrul5 View Post
Because a US competitor will "magically" start up and be able to produce said items for less! You see in Trumps mind computer parts manufacturing is simple, new factories can be built in a few weeks with little start up costs or lead time for R&D and tooling.

Oh and of course the vast majority of steel used by "Detroit" comes from Canada.
Going point on the steel. Brain cramp on my part. Although Trump tariffed them too, to retaliate for dairy or whatever.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:18 PM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.