ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 9th January 2019, 12:29 AM   #41
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
Except that thylacines are known to have been extinct since the 1930s and there has not been a single verifiable sighting of one since that time..........
Verifiable? No. But there have been some excellent sightings, including a (from memory) three minute long observation at close quarters by a park ranger in the 1980s. An aboriginal tracker took some photos of what looks like a thylacine digging, again, in the 1980s, but this time in WA. There was a German(?) tourist photo taken in the last 20 years or so showing what looks like a thylacine from such close quarters that it cropped much of the animal from the shot.

Again, these are some evidence (of varying strength) of a known animal existing within its former range.
"The Conservatives want to keep wogs out and march boldly back to the 1950s when Britain still had an Empire and blacks, women, poofs and Irish knew their place." The Don That's what we've sunk to here.

Last edited by MikeG; 9th January 2019 at 12:38 AM.
MikeG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2019, 12:33 AM   #42
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

Originally Posted by fromdownunder View Post
.......A population of Thylacine would have either had to survive on the mainland unnoticed for the last 2,000 years, or somehow been smuggled into Victoria before around 1930 when it was known to be highly endangered.........
Thylacine's original range included mainland Australia. There are plausible stories of a Tasmanian (again, I am doing this from memory) wildlife officer releasing some individuals in Victoria in the 20s.
"The Conservatives want to keep wogs out and march boldly back to the 1950s when Britain still had an Empire and blacks, women, poofs and Irish knew their place." The Don That's what we've sunk to here.
MikeG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2019, 12:33 AM   #43
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
It was a phone camera, according to reports I read. It explains the poor quality, but doesn't help answer the question of why he made only one still shot.
He may have made several and this is the best one.

I agree what he photographed is not a Tasmanian Tiger. Evidence - try to find this article in an Australian paper. Might be hard to find.
Old 9th January 2019, 12:40 AM   #44
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

Originally Posted by zooterkin View Post
If it was in the UK, I’d say it was probably a fox.

There are foxes all over Australia.
Old 9th January 2019, 01:03 AM   #45
fromdownunder
Philosopher

Geelong Advertiser on Monday - the on-line article is behind a fire wall.

Norm

fromdownunder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2019, 01:29 AM   #46
bluesjnr
Professional Nemesis for Hire

I'm, frankly, surprised at the number of seeming experts on carnivorous marsupials we have on the forum, go ISF!
bluesjnr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2019, 02:08 AM   #47
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Deputy Admin

Originally Posted by MikeG View Post

There are foxes all over Australia.
Not sure what the rolling eyes are for. I don't know if foxes are present in Australia, and wasn't in a position to check easily when I posted. If the photo was taken in the UK, my first, and pretty much only, guess would be a fox or fox-like dog. In Australia, there are other options, some of which I may well not be aware of since I'm no expert on Antipodean mammals, even leaving out purportedly extinct ones. I'm pretty sure I can name all the mammals of that apparent size that are at large in the UK.
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2019, 02:43 AM   #48
bluesjnr
Professional Nemesis for Hire

...snip...I'm pretty sure I can name all the mammals of that apparent size that are at large in the UK.
Don't worry if you can't, we will undoubtedly have a number of seeming experts who can.
bluesjnr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2019, 02:44 AM   #49
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
It was a phone camera, according to reports I read. It explains the poor quality, but doesn't help answer the question of why he made only one still shot.
Maybe he didn't; maybe that's just the only one that was worth a damn so it was the only one he kept, or the only one he submitted. I very often take multiple shots of things with my phone camera but only end up keeping the best-looking photo.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2019, 02:49 AM   #50
Norman Alexander
Illuminator

Not sure what the rolling eyes are for. I don't know if foxes are present in Australia, and wasn't in a position to check easily when I posted. If the photo was taken in the UK, my first, and pretty much only, guess would be a fox or fox-like dog. In Australia, there are other options, some of which I may well not be aware of since I'm no expert on Antipodean mammals, even leaving out purportedly extinct ones. I'm pretty sure I can name all the mammals of that apparent size that are at large in the UK.
Red foxes are a pest species here. They are very common. IIRC, they were brought from the UK and let loose for the purposes of continuing that grand old sport of fox-hunting.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_foxes_in_Australia
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2019, 03:01 AM   #51
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Red foxes are a pest species here. They are very common. IIRC, they were brought from the UK and let loose for the purposes of continuing that grand old sport of fox-hunting.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_foxes_in_Australia
Yes, foxes and rabbits. Thanks Poms.....

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2019, 04:05 AM   #52
baron

Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Yes, foxes and rabbits. Thanks Poms.....
Send 'em back!
baron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2019, 04:19 AM   #53
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Legs seem too long to me, and I think the tail is not as long as it appears. I think it's blending with a branch/foliage making it seem like a longer tail.

Plus, we should be able to clearly see the stripes on the body, yet we don't.

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2019, 05:27 AM   #54
baron

Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post
Legs seem too long to me, and I think the tail is not as long as it appears. I think it's blending with a branch/foliage making it seem like a longer tail.

Plus, we should be able to clearly see the stripes on the body, yet we don't.
I don't think the stripes would be that visible. The photos from 100+ years ago have all been pimped in Photoshop to up the sharpness and contrast. In the wild, especially at the limits of a camera's resolution, I doubt they would be visible.

That said, maybe it is a fox, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was what it is claimed to be. It's not like it's bigfoot or mothman, it's a known and (aside from its disputed status) wholly unremarkable creature.
baron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2019, 05:32 AM   #55
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by baron View Post
That said, maybe it is a fox, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was what it is claimed to be. It's not like it's bigfoot or mothman, it's a known and (aside from its disputed status) wholly unremarkable creature.
I would agree with you if this photo was taken in a place other than the Ballerine Peninsula. What’s a major vacation area near you, with forests nearby? Would you accept that an exotic or extinct creature would be there based on a blurry photo?

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2019, 05:35 AM   #56
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

I don't think the stripes would be that visible. The photos from 100+ years ago have all been pimped in Photoshop to up the sharpness and contrast. In the wild, especially at the limits of a camera's resolution, I doubt they would be visible.

If we can "see" the tail stripes, then we should be able to "see" the rest of the stripes, imo.

Plus, in the Zoo photo, the tail stripes are nowhere near as visible as the body stripes. You can really see this in the old movie footage on Wiki. The tail stripes are weak compared to the body stripes.

In the new photo, people claim to see tail stripes.

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?

Last edited by LTC8K6; 9th January 2019 at 05:38 AM.
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2019, 05:45 AM   #57
Drewbot
Philosopher

Looks like a dog or dingo.

What you are thinking is the tail looks like a branch from the fallen tree, right next to it.
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2019, 05:46 AM   #58
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Deputy Admin

Yes, I'd tend to agree with that. The resolution of the phone camera, the length of the lens and the artifacts of the jpg generation are all going to mean that extracting useful detail from a single image is difficult. Shame they didn't shoot a video.
Quote:
That's a rather large thing to ignore, given what a number of people actually in Australia have said about the location.
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2019, 05:56 AM   #59
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

....... Would you accept that an exotic or extinct creature would be there based on a blurry photo?
No, absolutely not. But what I would accept was that there was a mystery worth solving, and I would be setting camera traps.
Old 9th January 2019, 05:59 AM   #60
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

No, absolutely not. But what I would accept was that there was a mystery worth solving, and I would be setting camera traps.
And then 100 years later we're "still just looking" and that's how we get the Figbooters.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2019, 06:03 AM   #61
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
And then 100 years later we're "still just looking" and that's how we get the Figbooters.
The difference being that this is an animal which certainly existed, and within its historic range.

Are you really suggesting that animal sightings aren't followed up? Really? I personally moved the northernmost boundary of the range of the African Black Footed Cat some 400 miles, with a well observed and recorded sighting, at night and without a camera, in the Kafue National Park, Zambia. Are you really saying that no-one should have followed up my claim to have seen an animal hitherto unknown north of the Zambezi?
Old 9th January 2019, 06:08 AM   #62
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

It's the old caretaker in a rubber fox mask. Trying to bring the tourists back now the old carnival has closed down. And he'd have got away with it if it wasn't for you pesky ISF kids.
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2019, 06:14 AM   #63
baron

I would agree with you if this photo was taken in a place other than the Ballerine Peninsula. What’s a major vacation area near you, with forests nearby? Would you accept that an exotic or extinct creature would be there based on a blurry photo?
That's a rather large thing to ignore, given what a number of people actually in Australia have said about the location.
I wouldn't come to any conclusion based on one photo, what I'm saying is it wouldn't be a great surprise if it did show a Tasmanian Tiger, especially since there are other recent photos and videos that offer some form of evidence (most notably the 1973 Doyle video, which I find quite compelling).
Old 9th January 2019, 06:21 AM   #64
The Greater Fool
Illuminator

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, USA, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way
Originally Posted by Drewbot View Post

What you are thinking is the tail looks like a branch from the fallen tree, right next to it.
I think you are correct about the branch.

Though I vote fox. Because of the long branch/tale my brain wants to see it as tiger size, but if you take away the branch and think fox size, it looks right.
I don't know the local vegetation so have no real context for actual size.
Old 9th January 2019, 06:22 AM   #65
angrysoba
Philosophile

I'm gonna say, "Nope!"

Certainly a single grainy photograph is a staple of "Omigod an extinct species!" I mean, only one picture?

As mentioned, the colouring - particularly on the face looks inconsistent with the photographs of the animal in the zoo, and as mentioned, the tail itself, which is one of the more suggestive aspects of the picture and without which we would probably dismiss it out-of-hand is also suspect and could be a number of different things including a stick in the line of sight.
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2019, 06:46 AM   #66
Steve001
Graduate Poster

Here's a video for dissection claiming possibly two Taz Tigers

https://youtu.be/D_M-SskpGi4 two
Steve001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2019, 07:00 AM   #67
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Maybe a dingo ate your Thylacine.

Lewis Black
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2019, 07:25 AM   #68
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by Steve001 View Post
Here's a video for dissection claiming possibly two Taz Tigers

https://youtu.be/D_M-SskpGi4 two
That certainly looks more interesting. Particularly the way it moves.
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2019, 07:53 AM   #69
Drewbot
Philosopher

Parcher already debunked that video if I remember correctly.

Mangy fox with a limp.
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2019, 07:56 AM   #70
angrysoba
Philosophile

Mangy fox with a limp.
Ah, yes.

Old 9th January 2019, 07:56 AM   #71
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

Parcher already debunked that video......
Oh well that's that then. Settled.
Old 9th January 2019, 08:06 AM   #72
Drewbot
Philosopher

You don't agree with Parcher and the Shrike?
It's pretty damn obvious.
http://www.internationalskeptics.com...postcount=3218
Old 9th January 2019, 08:06 AM   #73
baron

Mangy fox with a limp.
I don't agree with some of his posts but there's no need for that.
Old 9th January 2019, 08:10 AM   #74
angrysoba
Philosophile

Oh well that's that then. Settled.
The animal is pretty obviously injured. That could indicate something about the way it moves. Also, although the woman mentions stripes, I don't see any.

Ultimately, it comes down to what is more likely:

An injured fox, which we have plenty of evidence for.
An animal believed extinct for 70 years (by the time this video was made) apparently living within fairly close proximity to humans.

(She has some further anecdotes which I think stretch credibility even more such as the time she saw a fox and a thylacine together, and a time when something she thought was wallaby roadkill got up and turned out to be a thylacine with blue eyes (!))

Old 9th January 2019, 08:18 AM   #75
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Are you really suggesting that animal sightings aren't followed up?
No I'm just saying that the existence of a living Tasmanian Tiger within the parameters presented to us is still very, very unlikely so while a cursory follow up might be warranted I do not wish for us to get drug down into proving a negative.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2019, 08:20 AM   #76
baron

This one doesn't have a limp

https://youtu.be/DSLRWr6vDP0
Old 9th January 2019, 08:24 AM   #77
Drewbot
Philosopher

Looks like a dog carrying a long branch
Old 9th January 2019, 08:25 AM   #78
angrysoba
Philosophile

This one doesn't have a limp

https://youtu.be/DSLRWr6vDP0
Neither does this one:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Old 9th January 2019, 08:27 AM   #79
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
........ while a cursory follow up might be warranted
So when you said you disagreed with following this up ("that's how we end up with Figboot"), you actually meant you agreed. Understood.

Quote:
I do not wish for us to get drug down into proving a negative.
Someone has suggested this, have they?
Old 9th January 2019, 08:34 AM   #80
Drewbot
Philosopher

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
Neither does this one:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

It is noted that you have a Baz Battles video in your Next Up selection.
Bravo.

*Actually that might be my next video*
So Bravo to me.

Last edited by Drewbot; 9th January 2019 at 08:37 AM.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal