ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 9th January 2019, 06:52 PM   #121
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

It could just be a series of compression artifacts.
Old 9th January 2019, 07:40 PM   #122
fromdownunder
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Elagabalus
Apparently, it IS.

Also, if you haven't made up your mind by now you're setting the cause of Skepticism™ back a hundred years. Choose your tribe, man!

No it is not. Nor has anyone on this thread claimed absolutely that the Tasmanian Tiger is extinct. I, like everyone would be delighted to see a find of a living population of these things.

But you are right about this particular photo because the location, the lack of corroborating evidence, the poor photo, and the historical context, all of which has already been documented in this thread, is quite conclusive.

I am already on the record suggesting that they may still exist in four places. The Tasmanian wilderness, East Gippsland, The Otways and the Great Divide. I cannot comment on other areas as I am less than familiar with the bush in other parts of Australia.

All we need is a skeleton or bones for analysis, some scat, a capture, maybe footprints, decent photographic evidence that withstands close scrutiny and everybody in Australia would be delighted and applaud the finding.

As has been said, we are not talking about bigfoot, which I am happy to say I don't believe in, we are talking about a living breathing animal that was alive and well less than 90 years ago. It would be close to the excitement of the scientific world when the first live coelacanth was found.

Norm

fromdownunder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2019, 07:43 PM   #123
Norman Alexander
Illuminator

Australian animals previously thought extinct have been found alive and well. So the possibility exists, albeit a very very slim possibility, that the thylacine is still out there...somewhere.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2019, 09:18 PM   #124
RolandRat
Thinker

Originally Posted by baron View Post
I wouldn't come to any conclusion based on one photo, what I'm saying is it wouldn't be a great surprise if it did show a Tasmanian Tiger, especially since there are other recent photos and videos that offer some form of evidence (most notably the 1973 Doyle video, which I find quite compelling).
Originally Posted by baron View Post
Looks like one to me. There have been many sightings of them over the years. I've never quite gotten to the bottom of what causes naturalists to effectively claim, "Right, all animals of species X are extinct and anybody who says they see one from now on is a liar unless they bring in the corpse!" Especially in a place the size of Australia. They even do it for species that live in regions barely a dozen Westerners annually set foot, then express astonishment when later evidence shows that species X isn't extinct after all, it had just been hiding under one of the 4.5 billion bushes nobody had looked under.

You were saying?
RolandRat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2019, 10:26 PM   #125
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
I'm seeing a slightly different view to that photo.

Now consider the part of the "tiger" photo that I have identified. Could that simply be a fern that the animal is behind or beneath?
One need not look too hard for a picture of the likely environment when the original image shows it.

Ferns could be an explanation, but I doubt it because the depth of field is too great, and for ferns to be an explanation, they would have to be nearly transparent from being out of focus.

The more I look at this, the more likely it seems to me that it's just artifacting, and in fact that what we see is so much a guess of the JPG algorithm that we can't really know anything.

Viewing this image is handicapped because most software that reads a JPG applies an algorithm to it which smooths the pixels.

For example, I open the original file in the freeware Faststone Image Viewer, and no matter how much I zoom into the image, it stays smooth. But if I go to "edit-clone and heal," which actually works on the file as it exists rather than as it is algorithmically read, the individual pixels appear.

As an experiment, I opened the file in another program which does not smooth pixels. Resaving the pixelated deep zoom to JPG smoothed it again. But when I did a screen grab, and saved it to BMP, it stayed pixelated, and when I resaved that BMP as a JPG it gave a true representation of the BMP. So here, as far as I can determine, is what a JPG reading program is seeing when it reads the original JPG file - whatever else you see is the program's ingenious guessing.

thyla pixels.jpg

As you can see, we're left without a whole lot we could bet on.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2019, 10:29 PM   #126
Damien Evans
Up The Irons
Tagger

Originally Posted by MikeG View Post

There are foxes all over Australia.
Much to our chagrin.
i loves the little birdies they goes tweet tweet tweet hee hee i loves them they sings to each other tweet twet tweet hee hee i loves them they is so cute i love yje little birdies little birdies in the room when birfies sings ther is no gloom i lobes the little birdies they goess tweet tweet tweet hee hee hee i loves them they sings me to sleep sing me to slrrp now little birdies - The wisdom of Shemp.
Damien Evans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th January 2019, 07:49 AM   #127
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

There are foxes all over Australia.
Put up a bounty, that'll take of it.

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th January 2019, 07:57 AM   #128
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post
Put up a bounty, that'll take of it.
No, it won't. People will then catch them and captive breed them. Aussies aren't that daft.

Besides, Australia is quite big, and the very few people that live there live almost exclusively in 6 major cities. The foxes have other arrangements.
"The Conservatives want to keep wogs out and march boldly back to the 1950s when Britain still had an Empire and blacks, women, poofs and Irish knew their place." The Don That's what we've sunk to here.

Last edited by MikeG; 10th January 2019 at 07:59 AM.
MikeG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th January 2019, 09:06 AM   #129
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

That looks like a fox.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th January 2019, 11:16 AM   #130
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

No, it won't. People will then catch them and captive breed them. Aussies aren't that daft.

Besides, Australia is quite big, and the very few people that live there live almost exclusively in 6 major cities. The foxes have other arrangements.
Of course I was joking, but did people try breeding thylacines for the bounty money?

LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th January 2019, 11:37 AM   #131
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

In one of the Discworld novels

Quote:
a 20p bounty on rat tails was introduced to combat a serious rodent infestation, but threatened to drain the treasury dry without curtailing the rats' numbers. Vetinari's suggestion to "tax the rat farms" provided an early demonstration of his shrewd political insight.
Note he didn't only immediately deduce the existence of rat farms, his solution was not to close them but to tax them. Smart guy.
Old 10th January 2019, 01:03 PM   #132
CORed
Philosopher

Originally Posted by p0lka View Post
woah, that's interesting.
Could just be a skinny dog though.
That's a very long tail for a dog or dingo. I won't say that positively rules out dog or dingo, but it would be a rather unusual individual dog or dingo.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th January 2019, 01:32 PM   #133
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by CORed View Post
That's a very long tail for a dog or dingo. I won't say that positively rules out dog or dingo, but it would be a rather unusual individual dog or dingo.
We can't really tell how long the tail is.

It could simply be foliage merging with the tail among the pixels.

Old 10th January 2019, 02:39 PM   #134
CORed
Philosopher

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
The photo looks to me like a normal smartphone camera - which these days are pretty great, by the way - that has been software-zoomed as far as it will go.
I agree, and though smartphone cameras are pretty good now, they can't compete with a high zoom ratio fixed lens digital camera, let alone a DSLR for wildlife photography. The software zoom (basically just cropping) can't get anything like the resolution that a decent optical zoom can. I have a couple of fixed lens high zoom cameras that I've manage to take some pretty good bird and wildlife photos with, and I'm sure either of them would have taken a much better picture of that animal (whatever it is). Of course, if this is a hoax, the poor quality may be intentional, as a better picture might have left know doubt that it isn't what it's claimed to be.

OTOH, it's not unheard of for species that were presumed extinct, or at least extirpated from a particular region to turn up. One case that I am familiar with involved a grizzly bear that badly mauled and was killed by a bowhunting guide in Southern Colorado in the late '70's. The hunting guide claimed that the bear attacked him and he stabbed it with one of his hunting arrows in self defense. There was some suspicion that the guide might have shot the bear with the arrow and mauled before the bear died, but not enough evidence to file any charges against him. Whatever happened, the bear ended up dead from the arrow and the guide badly mauled. The bear was a very old female with bad teeth. Grizzlies were previously believed to have been extirpated from Colorado in the early '50's, though a population remained in the Yellowstone area.

The DOW conducted a petty thorough effort to find more grizzlies in the area and came up empty. No further unequivocal grizzlies have turned up in 40 years, though there have been eye witness reports. However, the area has a large population of black bears, so they could have easily been misidentification.

It really looks like the grizzly may have been a sole survivor.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th January 2019, 05:08 PM   #135
Nay_Sayer
I say nay!

I'm surprised no one spotted the obvious bigfoot in the bushes.

This would be incredibly fascinating if true

Said the robot gleefully as he went on his rampage.
Nay_Sayer is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th January 2019, 05:12 PM   #136
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by Nay_Sayer View Post
I'm surprised no one spotted the obvious bigfoot in the bushes.

This would be incredibly fascinating if true
It would raise many questions. Like "how the hell could a breeding population have remained unseen for so many years?"

'Cause at the moment, the answer to that question is far from clear.
Old 10th January 2019, 05:18 PM   #137
Nay_Sayer
I say nay!

It would raise many questions. Like "how the hell could a breeding population have remained unseen for so many years?"

'Cause at the moment, the answer to that question is far from clear.
Going with a hypothetical answer, No one thought to look where the population(assuredly small) is.

Nay_Sayer is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th January 2019, 05:30 PM   #138
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Going with a hypothetical answer, No one thought to look where the population(assuredly small) is.
Oh believe me. People have been looking. Every conceivable habitat has been thoroughly examined. Folks have been searching for them for decades. The only habitats that are left to search are, as I said, tiny inaccessible valleys deep in the temperate rainforest in Tasmania, or habitats where they didn't live even when they were known to be alive.
Old 10th January 2019, 05:44 PM   #139
Norman Alexander
Illuminator

Oh believe me. People have been looking. Every conceivable habitat has been thoroughly examined. Folks have been searching for them for decades. The only habitats that are left to search are, as I said, tiny inaccessible valleys deep in the temperate rainforest in Tasmania, or habitats where they didn't live even when they were known to be alive.
Parliament House?
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th January 2019, 06:06 PM   #140
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Parliament House?
I think you'll find venomous snakes and spiders there, but no thylacines.
Old 10th January 2019, 06:41 PM   #141
Norman Alexander
Illuminator

Raw prawns and numbats.
Old 10th January 2019, 07:54 PM   #142
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Raw prawns and numbats.
Toads and worms.
Old 10th January 2019, 09:05 PM   #143
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

Given the recent press, quite possibly a couple of Antechinus too...
Old 10th January 2019, 09:39 PM   #144
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by novaphile View Post
Given the recent press, quite possibly a couple of Antechinus too...
Those cute little marsupials that literally **** until they die? We can only hope.
Old 10th January 2019, 09:59 PM   #145
Norman Alexander
Illuminator

Those cute little marsupials that literally **** until they die? We can only hope.
Are they on Tinder?
Old 10th January 2019, 10:38 PM   #146
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Are they on Tinder?
Politicians?
Old 11th January 2019, 03:11 AM   #147
Porpoise of Life
Illuminator

I's obviously a shapeshifting Yowie, who hasn't realized the creature he's mimicking is extinct.
Porpoise of Life is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2019, 03:29 AM   #148
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing

A place I lived and worked at had a series of big cat sightings. The way they were checked was to go to the place of the sighting to try and find other evidence such as paw prints, and droppings. Needless to say, no other evidence was found.

Anyone who takes a photo should mark the site for further examination.
Old 11th January 2019, 03:55 AM   #149
Susheel
Graduate Poster

I am waiting for his response that what he actually meant was something else entirely...
Old 11th January 2019, 08:49 AM   #150
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

I can't say it looks convincing to me, tbh. Could just be a fox with mange or a wild dog, who knows?

Scouse saying - Go 'ed, is right, nice one, boss, well in, sound, belter, made up.

Usage: 'Go 'ed, lad, get us an ale in, nice one.'
Gilbert Syndrome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2019, 10:07 PM   #151
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

Yeahp. With you on that one.

I was thinking of the former leader of the Nats.
Old 12th January 2019, 07:31 PM   #152
The Shrike
Illuminator

Cool photo. Through my pareidolia glasses it looks tassy to me, but you take them off and honestly can't tell if what you think you see is really there. So . . . tie a sheep to a stake Jurassic Park Tyrannosaur Paddock-style, and ring the thing with game cams. I'll wait.
The Shrike is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2019, 06:33 PM   #153
Nay_Sayer
I say nay!

You're very likely correct.

I was reminded of this little guy;https://www.nationalgeographic.com/a...mmals-animals/

So the idea isn't entirely an impossible one.

Old 13th January 2019, 07:32 PM   #154
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

I was reminded of this little guy;https://www.nationalgeographic.com/a...mmals-animals/

Not impossible, no. But very, very, very unlikely.
Old 13th January 2019, 11:59 PM   #155
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Not impossible, no. But very, very, very unlikely.
To expand on the above post, please note the words remote and near-impenetrable in the link. Is it reasonable to use these words where the Tasmanian Tiger was sighted? This question has the same answer as should the sighting be taken seriously?
Old 14th January 2019, 12:11 AM   #156
fromdownunder
Philosopher

Originally Posted by rjh01 View Post
To expand on the above post, please note the words remote and near-impenetrable in the link. Is it reasonable to use these words where the Tasmanian Tiger was sighted? This question has the same answer as should the sighting be taken seriously?

No.

Norm

fromdownunder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2019, 12:38 AM   #157
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

Oh believe me. People have been looking. Every conceivable habitat has been thoroughly examined.......
Every conceivable habitat was searched, too, for the night parrot. How did that work out? Have they found Peter Falconio's body yet? They know it's not far from the road. How long did it take to find Azaria Chamberlain's jacket? That was just a few hundred yards from where she was last seen alive. Maybe more aptly, how is the search for Lasseter's Reef going?
"The Conservatives want to keep wogs out and march boldly back to the 1950s when Britain still had an Empire and blacks, women, poofs and Irish knew their place." The Don That's what we've sunk to here.
MikeG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2019, 12:50 AM   #158
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

Originally Posted by rjh01 View Post
Why? Large mammals can cover ground quickly, and many don't stick to their home territory, especially if they are short of food. Here's a wolf that walked 1200 miles from where it was born and raised, in the centre of Europe. If it had been photographed anywhere along its route (it was only seen once, and never photographed, on the entire trip) the response would have been "what's it doing here just a few hundred yards from (say) Verona (Italy)?". No, animals wander into all sorts of inappropriate places, but it doesn't mean for a second that that is where they live.

Last edited by MikeG; 14th January 2019 at 12:57 AM.
Old 14th January 2019, 01:09 AM   #159
fromdownunder
Philosopher

Why? Large mammals can cover ground quickly, and many don't stick to their home territory, especially if they are short of food. Here's a wolf that walked 1200 miles from where it was born and raised, in the centre of Europe. If it had been photographed anywhere along its route (it was only seen once, and never photographed, on the entire trip) the response would have been "what's it doing here just a few hundred yards from (say) Verona (Italy)?". No, animals wander into all sorts of inappropriate places, but it doesn't mean for a second that that is where they live.

Yes, especially animals never sighted in this area before that are thought to be extinct anyway and probably have been extinct on the mainland for thousands of years. Just to be clear, here is the Bellarine Peninsula where the picture was taken and showing the Drysdale/Clifton Springs area. The total area is in the order of 1,500 sq. miles.Not exactly a remote and near-impenetrable place for a population of Tasmanian Tigers to have survived.

Norm

Last edited by fromdownunder; 14th January 2019 at 01:12 AM.
Old 14th January 2019, 01:27 AM   #160
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

Norm, why do you do that? It's almost like you've not bothered reading what I wrote, or what I was responding to. What if I were to counter your map with a photo of a wild animal in the middle of a town?

Originally Posted by fromdownunder View Post
..Not exactly a remote and near-impenetrable place for a population of Tasmanian Tigers to have survived........
........ animals wander into all sorts of inappropriate places, but it doesn't mean for a second that that is where they live.

Last edited by MikeG; 14th January 2019 at 01:29 AM.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal