IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags New Zealand elections , New Zealand politics

Old 26th September 2017, 05:21 PM   #201
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
Jacinda is BFFs with Clark
And?

Clark as well as having a wealth of experience as PM, has a wealth of experience negotiating successful deals with Winston to form governments.

To not have Clark involved would be incredibly stupid. In fact it would be a bit laughable.
As far as I'm aware there's no plan to have her involved, and far from being stupid to leave her out, I think it would ridiculously naive to think she would be involved.

It would be seen by everyone as insecurity in Ardern and I can't imagine either she or Labour would want to go in on that basis.

And Ardern isn't stupid
Which is precisely why I'd be astonished to see St Helen involved.
Old 26th September 2017, 05:43 PM   #202
cullennz
Banned

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
And?

As far as I'm aware there's no plan to have her involved, and far from being stupid to leave her out, I think it would ridiculously naive to think she would be involved.

It would be seen by everyone as insecurity in Ardern and I can't imagine either she or Labour would want to go in on that basis.

Which is precisely why I'd be astonished to see St Helen involved.
Totally disagree

Ardern has already shown publicly she is insecure by ditching the taxes in the first term after one bad poll and doing the chicks mag story about having nervous attacks every 5 minutes over being Deputy leader. Getting advice isn't exactly going to be an eye opener.

Getting input from Clark is just logical. Not doing it would be just dumb
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2017, 12:14 AM   #203
Roger Ramjets
Philosopher

Good job by Ardern, but it was hardly the second coming
The polls appear to tell a different story.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NZ_opinion_polls_2014-2017-majorparties.jpg (36.0 KB, 6 views)
Old 28th September 2017, 10:41 PM   #204
cullennz
Banned

Originally Posted by Roger Ramjets View Post
I'm the actual election poll she did no better than Shearer was polling before he got turfed.

As I said, good job, but not exactly a second coming.

It's great to go up so quickly in the polls. Awesome. But it was all off her mates. Hardly anything off the Nats.

It also coincided fortuously with the Greens imploding over Metiria.

English ended up higher at the election than Keys first.

For a 3 term govt that is incredible.

It also makes the "youthquake" hype bit silly.

It wouldn't surprise me if Labour don't even jump that much with the specials.

Everyone keeps saying how they go to the left. Yes. The Greens.

Last time they were 25% Labour. 40% Nats

Sent from my SM-J500Y using Tapatalk
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2017, 12:37 AM   #205
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Roger Ramjets View Post
Only one poll has any meaning... this one

All the others are merely a combination of unbridled speculation, wishful thinking and inaccurate guesswork.

Its TRE45ON season... convict the F45CIST!!
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th September 2017, 01:14 PM   #206
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Getting input from Clark is just logical. Not doing it would be just dumb
Mate, check your own post.

You didn't say "get input" from Clark, you said not having her on the negotiating team would be stupid.

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Only one poll has any meaning... this one
The most interesting point on that is the solid evidence that MMP is a completely flawed method.

The party which finished third, on a stunning 7% of the vote, having won exactly zero parliamentary seats, is the one which is going to form a government.
Old 30th September 2017, 06:18 PM   #207
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

The most interesting point on that is the solid evidence that MMP is a completely flawed method.

The party which finished third, on a stunning 7% of the vote, having won exactly zero parliamentary seats, is the one which is going to form a government.
There is only one thing wrong with MMP; Most Kiwis and pretty much all Kiwi politicians are too stupid to understand how to use it.

See Germany as an example of how to correctly use MMP. It has been the electoral system for the Bundestag for over 70 years with few problems. They understand that it is NOT NECESSARY to make a coalition to find a majority Government. There is no reason why the Nats (the party with the highest popular vote) could not govern with a supply and confidence agreement with any of the other parties, and then other issues are dealt with on a case-by-case basis with parties voting according to their manifestos. This is exactly what happens in most other countries in the world that have a proportional representation system.

Also, this statement from you.."7% of the vote, having won exactly zero Parliamentary seats" tells me that you still have an FPP mentality. Get this into your head.... Constituent Seats mean ABSOLUTELY NOTHING in the big picture. They only thing it determines is who your region's representative is in Parliament. A vote for a party's candidate is NOT a vote for that Party, it s vote for the person.

I live in Nelson.. I always vote for Nick Smith even though he is a Nat and I neither like nor agree with his politics. Why? Because he has been excellent for Nelson, and represents the region with distinction. My vote cast for him DID NOT contribute to National's number of seats in parliament, only my Party vote does that and it was for a different party. Even if NOBODY in Nelson cast a constituent vote for Nick Smith, he would still be in parliament because he was 15th on the Party list.

Here's something for you to think about. Bill English, David Carter, Stephen Joyce (Nat) Andrew Little, Raymond Huo, Willie Jackson and Trevor Mallard (Lab) are all list only candidates. None of them have "won a seat" so by your thinking, they should not be in Parliament, but they are. Can you work out why that is?

Last edited by smartcooky; 30th September 2017 at 06:49 PM.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st October 2017, 12:27 AM   #208
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

This is exactly what happens in most other countries in the world that have a proportional representation system.
Wow, I am impressed to see someone on a Skeptic's forum using logic as flawed as that.

"Other countries" are not NZ and Angela Merkel and her coalition partners aren't on our ballot list.

If there was a dog's show of it happening, Winston would be talking it up, but there's no way it works on his agenda. He has already shown his colours on that subject once or twice.. or three times.

A vote for a party's candidate is NOT a vote for that Party, it s vote for the person.
Cut the all caps crap - I am absolutely aware of how MMP works.

You also seem to have completely missed the point that two single constituency seats played a large part in the National government, so saying they're irrelevant is plain stupid. David Seymour got Charter Schools going and Dunne was in Cabinet.

The irony of your own post seems to have completely escaped you as well - you even stated you voted for Nick Smith because he's good for Nelson, immediately after stating that constituencies mean nothing.

Try reading your own posts - and learning a touch of history from all the way back in August 2017 - before making a fool of yourself next time.
Old 1st October 2017, 02:03 AM   #209
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Wow, I am impressed to see someone on a Skeptic's forum using logic as flawed as that.

"Other countries" are not NZ and Angela Merkel and her coalition partners aren't on our ballot list.
They use the same system as us, and they understand how to use it.. it appears we don't

If there was a dog's show of it happening, Winston would be talking it up, but there's no way it works on his agenda. He has already shown his colours on that subject once or twice.. or three times.
Just because the politicians are too tied up in their own self-importance doesn't mean the idea should be dismissed out of hand.

Cut the all caps crap - I am absolutely aware of how MMP works.
Well the way you posted seemed to indicate that you didn't.

You also seem to have completely missed the point that two single constituency seats played a large part in the National government..... David Seymour got Charter Schools going and Dunne was in Cabinet.
Yep and those constituency seats would have been elected that way even without MMP - Dunn and Seymour would have won their seats under FPP, and they would have been in Parliament and Dunne would have been a cabinet minister!!!

... so saying they're irrelevant is plain stupid....

...The irony of your own post seems to have completely escaped you as well - you even stated you voted for Nick Smith because he's good for Nelson, immediately after stating that constituencies mean nothing.
There you go again, misquoting what others post, and then calling the poster an idiot based on your misquote. I didn't say "constituencies mean nothing", I said "Constituent Seats mean absolutely nothing in the big picture

The difference between what I said and what you claim I said is huge!

Try reading your own posts - and learning a touch of history from all the way back in August 2017 - before making a fool of yourself next time.
And you try actually reading and understanding what other people post before you go off half-cocked, misquote them and make a fool of yourself.

Old 1st October 2017, 01:56 PM   #210
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

They use the same system as us, and they understand how to use it.. it appears we don't
The issue is that we have some hang overs from the FPTP system that are hamstringing MMP. The major one of the 50% Supply and Confidence. This forces Parties into forming coalitions and all but prevents a minority Government who doesn't have Supply and Confidence agreements in place.

If instead No Confidence Votes required a 65% vote, then we would be able to form minority Governments that then went to the other Parties to get legislation passed on a bill by bill basis. By also making the Government veto harder to use, the other parties could also get things through if they were popular enough. It would make our government a lot moire flexible, and mean that they were working as a group together to get things done rather then always opposing each other because "that's how it's always been done."

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st October 2017, 02:23 PM   #211
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
The issue is that we have some hang overs from the FPTP system that are hamstringing MMP. The major one of the 50% Supply and Confidence. This forces Parties into forming coalitions and all but prevents a minority Government who doesn't have Supply and Confidence agreements in place.

If instead No Confidence Votes required a 65% vote, then we would be able to form minority Governments that then went to the other Parties to get legislation passed on a bill by bill basis. By also making the Government veto harder to use, the other parties could also get things through if they were popular enough. It would make our government a lot moire flexible, and mean that they were working as a group together to get things done rather then always opposing each other because "that's how it's always been done."

Thanks. You've made my point. There is nothing wrong with MMP, we just don't understand it.

Old 3rd October 2017, 09:38 AM   #212
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

There you go again, misquoting what others post, and then calling the poster an idiot based on your misquote. I didn't say "constituencies mean nothing", I said "Constituent Seats mean absolutely nothing in the big picture

The difference between what I said and what you claim I said is huge!
The difference is non-existent.

There is only one picture, and it has 120 seats.

Except when single &/or minor parties win a seat and the total is increased.

Except when a single seat can swing a government. (Hasn't happened yet, but the potential exists)

Except when parties don't stand in electorates to help their pal win.

Your "big picture" is cop out nonsense.
Old 6th October 2017, 07:04 PM   #213
Samson
Penultimate Amazing

New Zealanders can celebrate the riddance of the disgusting Judith Collins. Excellent also to see Bill English hurtled from the ballpark. Sweet victory for common sense.
Let us all celebrate, (I know not all agree).
Samson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th October 2017, 09:04 PM   #214
cullennz
Banned

Originally Posted by Samson View Post
New Zealanders can celebrate the riddance of the disgusting Judith Collins. Excellent also to see Bill English hurtled from the ballpark. Sweet victory for common sense.
Let us all celebrate, (I know not all agree).
Why?

Doesn't really change anything

Old 6th October 2017, 11:55 PM   #215
Samson
Penultimate Amazing

Why?

Doesn't really change anything

Housing crisis.
Not my expression.
Repeated repeatedly in a land flowing with milk and honey.
International disgrace orchestrated by the National party for a gerrymander.

Corrupt Chinese money has been drawn like moths to a flame.
Samson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th October 2017, 12:33 AM   #216
cullennz
Banned

Housing crisis.
Not my expression.
Repeated repeatedly in a land flowing with milk and honey.
International disgrace orchestrated by the National party for a gerrymander.

Corrupt Chinese money has been drawn like moths to a flame.
Over zealous claims like these aside

How does today change the outcome of the election?

Old 7th October 2017, 04:37 AM   #217
Samson
Penultimate Amazing

Over zealous claims like these aside

How does today change the outcome of the election?

Peters looked for one vote swing to bury pathetic little loser English. Two vote swing says go back and play in your cot, catholic tedious little moral automoton. Good riddance jerk.
Great day for daylight exposing the cockroaches behind the fridge.
Old 7th October 2017, 02:20 PM   #218
cullennz
Banned

Peters looked for one vote swing to bury pathetic little loser English. Two vote swing says go back and play in your cot, catholic tedious little moral automoton. Good riddance jerk.
Where did he say he was looking for a swing?

And as I said

How does it change anything?

Labour and the Greens are still lower than the Nats combined.

And you still have those little things like the Greens calling the dude racist on national tv and Labour and the Greens showing they can't hold an MoU together for a week, let alone 3 years

Old 7th October 2017, 09:11 PM   #219
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Loving these posts, mate!

I couldn't have said that without using a whole lotta asterisks.

Not that I think there's any certainty he'll go with Labour.
Old 7th October 2017, 11:52 PM   #220
cullennz
Banned

So much hatred and wasted energy from people over someone else's politics you happen to disagree with.

It's quite funny to watch
Old 8th October 2017, 05:24 PM   #221
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

So much hatred and wasted energy from people over someone else's politics you happen to disagree with.

It's quite funny to watch
I'd say as much energy has been wasted in your support of National as anyone's attacks on them, and hatred requires no energy at all.

Not to mention your comlete dishonesty is dismissing it "politics you happen to disagree with", because it's not a question of disagreement - the problems exist.

Remember:

Third world diseases clogging up the hospital system.
Second-worst jail statistics in the OECD for one sector of our society.
At least one armed dairy robbery a day.
90% of accessible rivers being too polluted to swim in.
Absurd inter-generational benefit dependence.
Spice/Ice epidemics.
Worst youth suicide in the OECD.
et cetera.

And if you don't care about any of those subjects, then you're living in delusion. It doesn't even matter if you have private health insurance and never leave your house - it's still your tax dollars being tipped into a bottomless pit which has been almost entirely caused by inaction over the past decade.
Old 9th October 2017, 12:28 AM   #222
cullennz
Banned

I'd say as much energy has been wasted in your support of National as anyone's attacks on them, and hatred requires no energy at all.

Not to mention your comlete dishonesty is dismissing it "politics you happen to disagree with", because it's not a question of disagreement - the problems exist.

Remember:

Third world diseases clogging up the hospital system.
Second-worst jail statistics in the OECD for one sector of our society.
At least one armed dairy robbery a day.
90% of accessible rivers being too polluted to swim in.
Absurd inter-generational benefit dependence.
Spice/Ice epidemics.
Worst youth suicide in the OECD.
et cetera.

And if you don't care about any of those subjects, then you're living in delusion. It doesn't even matter if you have private health insurance and never leave your house - it's still your tax dollars being tipped into a bottomless pit which has been almost entirely caused by inaction over the past decade.
Your continued fixation with me having to be a Nat voter is also amusing

I cant really be bothered with your other points as they aren't really relevant to the election outcome.

Except for just one as it is frankly to laughable to ignore.

Look up what inter generational means and then have a think about how this has happened in 9 years

Last edited by cullennz; 9th October 2017 at 12:38 AM.
Old 10th October 2017, 12:14 AM   #223
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Your continued fixation with me having to be a Nat voter is also amusing
You really do need to learn to read, old chap. I said "support for National", not "voted National".

If you have a look at your posts in this thread, they are almost exclusively in support of English & National. I'm talking about what you say, not where you vote.

Look up what inter generational means and then have a think about how this has happened in 9 years
Your complete lack of understanding of discussion makes me wonder why you join them.

What has National done to address the issue? Again, if you look at my post, I even mention "caused by inaction over the past decade".

They've done absolutely nothing. Inter-generational benefit obviously goes back decades, and it's not going to be fixed by totally ignoring it.

That you don't want to discuss the other points doesn't surprise me at all - National has done next to nothing on any of those subjects. Talk to some doctors and nurses, talk to some teachers, talk to people desperately trying to rent a house in Auckland.

I love people like you, whose vision stops at the end of your nose.

I get it - you don't give a crap about social issues. That's why I mentioned tax, because you'll sure as hell be paying for it. That sometimes hits the self-interested. In fact, the economic argument is why Bill English himself wants to try to solve some of those issues, and especially get the prison population down.

It's the only way he can sell it to his supporters and voters.

Sad *********** world.
Old 10th October 2017, 02:32 AM   #224
cullennz
Banned

You really do need to learn to read, old chap. I said "support for National", not "voted National".

If you have a look at your posts in this thread, they are almost exclusively in support of English & National. I'm talking about what you say, not where you vote.

Your complete lack of understanding of discussion makes me wonder why you join them.

What has National done to address the issue? Again, if you look at my post, I even mention "caused by inaction over the past decade".

They've done absolutely nothing. Inter-generational benefit obviously goes back decades, and it's not going to be fixed by totally ignoring it.

That you don't want to discuss the other points doesn't surprise me at all - National has done next to nothing on any of those subjects. Talk to some doctors and nurses, talk to some teachers, talk to people desperately trying to rent a house in Auckland.

I love people like you, whose vision stops at the end of your nose.

I get it - you don't give a crap about social issues. That's why I mentioned tax, because you'll sure as hell be paying for it. That sometimes hits the self-interested. In fact, the economic argument is why Bill English himself wants to try to solve some of those issues, and especially get the prison population down.

It's the only way he can sell it to his supporters and voters.

Sad *********** world.
Only in your head

I chose not to discuss the others as

A It is irrelevant to the election

B Your so one eyed it would be pointless.

I could say something like. National have lowered the number of solo mothers to 80's levels.

You will say something stupid like They hate baby's

Or I could say they have gotten more people off welfare and into work

And you will say But but but. What work is it? It must be horrible!!!

Or that they raised the benefit for the first time in 43 years while it was ignored by Labour

But but but. It's not enough money!

Or that they gave free doctors to under 13s

But but but blah blah blah

And that would just get on my tits

Last edited by cullennz; 10th October 2017 at 02:37 AM.
Old 12th October 2017, 01:32 PM   #225
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

I chose not to discuss the others as

A It is irrelevant to the election
Only in the eyes of sectors of society who are too selfish or stupid to realise it's going to cost them in the long run.

I could say something like. National have lowered the number of solo mothers to 80's levels.

You will say something stupid like They hate baby's

Or I could say they have gotten more people off welfare and into work

And you will say But but but. What work is it? It must be horrible!!!
Nice of you to take my part in the discussion for me, but I'd be much more likely to say that maybe the numbers have dropped due to sanctions being applied against solo parents.

It might be that sanctions are driving women to stay in abusive relationships, but that kind of thing flies under the radar of people who don't give a flying ****, and we don't know what the real reasons are, so attributing it to National's policies is nonsense.

If you check, they've taken no positive measures, only punitive ones.

Or that they raised the benefit for the first time in 43 years while it was ignored by Labour
Good on them. Yet the numbers are still down...

Think about that for a minute.

Or that they gave free doctors to under 13s
A policy stolen off Labour.

Bravo.
Old 12th October 2017, 05:16 PM   #226
cullennz
Banned

Only in the eyes of sectors of society who are too selfish or stupid to realise it's going to cost them in the long run.

Nice of you to take my part in the discussion for me, but I'd be much more likely to say that maybe the numbers have dropped due to sanctions being applied against solo parents.

It might be that sanctions are driving women to stay in abusive relationships, but that kind of thing flies under the radar of people who don't give a flying ****, and we don't know what the real reasons are, so attributing it to National's policies is nonsense.

If you check, they've taken no positive measures, only punitive ones.

Good on them. Yet the numbers are still down...

Think about that for a minute.

A policy stolen off Labour.

Bravo.
See
Old 12th October 2017, 05:22 PM   #227
cullennz
Banned

No it isn't.

I know this is seems hard for you to understand, but the VOTES ARE ALREADY IN.

Your one eyed hatred of one party doesn't matter now
Old 12th October 2017, 06:32 PM   #228
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

God I can't wait for Monday!

I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2017, 03:46 AM   #229
cullennz
Banned

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
God I can't wait for Monday!
Tuesday morning I think

How bad is it when you have the dude on 7% not only deciding the govt, but announcing the winner rather than them announcing their the govt.

It's a joke

Don't particularly mind MMP but there should be some guidelines like in most other MMP countries.

We seem to have like the MMP inbreed, grotesque, mutant version of it.

Old 13th October 2017, 06:01 AM   #230
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Tuesday morning I think

How bad is it when you have the dude on 7% not only deciding the govt, but announcing the winner rather than them announcing their the govt.

It's a joke

Don't particularly mind MMP but there should be some guidelines like in most other MMP countries.

We seem to have like the MMP inbreed, grotesque, mutant version of it.
What do you expect when you don't have an upper house? Do you really want to go back to the FTPT days when a party that won well below a majority of the votes held most of the seats in the house and had no check on its power?
Old 13th October 2017, 08:52 PM   #231
cullennz
Banned

Originally Posted by psionl0 View Post
What do you expect when you don't have an upper house? Do you really want to go back to the FTPT days when a party that won well below a majority of the votes held most of the seats in the house and had no check on its power?
Not really.

This doesn't make the MMP system we currently have less annoying

Old 13th October 2017, 09:47 PM   #232
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Not really.

This doesn't make the MMP system we currently have less annoying
This is pretty much the way it is the world over (except in places where FPTP rules). If a party doesn't command a majority of the seats in the house then the government has to either form a coalition with a minor party or govern with the minor party's support. This usually gives the minor party an influence that is considerably greater than the number of seats it has in the house.

Australia is in the same boat but it is in the Senate where the balance power issues arise (The HoR is where the government is formed is invariably controlled by Labor or the Lib/NP coalition). This is by choice of the Australian voters. In the past, the government of the day frequently controlled the Senate but because of voter disillusionment with the major parties, votes have bled off to the minor parties and nobody can get a majority in the Senate anymore.

I wouldn't have it any other way.
Old 14th October 2017, 12:28 PM   #233
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by psionl0 View Post
Worse than that, we actually had a government some years ago that polled lower than the opposition. In the 1978 General election, the Nats polled 39.6% in the popular vote, yet won 51/92 seats (55%) while Labour polled 40.4%, yet won only 40/92 seats (43%). The third party at that time, Social Credit, polled 16% yet only won one seat! The will of the people had been subverted by the electorial system, and it was this election which began to see calls for a change to proportional representation.

Old 15th October 2017, 01:17 AM   #234
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Worse than that, we actually had a government some years ago that polled lower than the opposition. In the 1978 General election, the Nats polled 39.6% in the popular vote, yet won 51/92 seats (55%) while Labour polled 40.4%, yet won only 40/92 seats (43%). The third party at that time, Social Credit, polled 16% yet only won one seat! The will of the people had been subverted by the electorial system, and it was this election which began to see calls for a change to proportional representation.
This was why Australia adopted preferential (instant run-off) voting. The emergence of the Country Party saw the conservative vote split in rural areas with the result that Labor was winning the seats by default. When Labor won the (then) rural WA seat of Swan in a by-election with only 34% of the vote something had to be done.

Minority candidates still don't have a chance in the HoR due to its single member electorates but the major candidates no longer lose by default. The Senate uses PR so minority candidates have no problems there. If there was no Senate then Australia would probably have to use MMP in the HoR to preserve democracy.
Old 18th October 2017, 01:11 AM   #235
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Peters utterly wallowing in it like a dog in fresh cow ****, announcing today that he will announce who the next government will be tomorrow.

7% of the vote and he's announcing it.

Pretty much all his dreams eventually came true.

His voters must be rightly chuffed to hell - a bunch of NIMBYs & grumpy old farts with complete say in how the country is run for the next three years.
Old 18th October 2017, 10:48 PM   #236
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

If the voters had wanted one party to control parliament they would have voted that way. Obviously, they would rather that the balance of power was not with either major party.
Old 18th October 2017, 11:04 PM   #237
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Its a Labour + NZ First Coalition Government (just announced at the Beehive by Winston Peters).

Jacinda Ardern is our new Prime Minister, the youngest in over 160 years.

I look forward to seeing how they are going to fund the election promises made between NZ First, Labour and the Greens... totalling $61 billion.

Old 18th October 2017, 11:20 PM   #238
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Stunned.

I take back every negative thing I've ever said or thought about Winnie and his Grey Power mob.

His speech, once he got past the self-congratulation, will go down in history as one of the great political moments, along with M J Savage and David Lange.

His emphasis on poverty, inequality, housing and migration was exactly what is needed, and I'd expect to see a correction in Auckland property toute de suite, given the immediate squeeze on migration likely to be applied. He sounded genuine when he spoke of families in cars and his and NZF's disgust at it.

His talking the Kiwi down hasn't gone as well, with an immediate almost 1 cent increase.

Marvellous, and best of all, Mike Hosking and his mob are sick to their stomachs over it.
Old 18th October 2017, 11:29 PM   #239
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Marvellous, and best of all, Mike Hosking and his mob are sick to their stomachs over it.
Always happy to see Mike Hosking, Leighton Smith, and Larry Williams upset and squirming. I guess they'll just have to spend the next 3 years going on about how terrible the Government is.

Old 18th October 2017, 11:57 PM   #240
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Stunned.

I take back every negative thing I've ever said or thought about Winnie and his Grey Power mob.

His speech, once he got past the self-congratulation, will go down in history as one of the great political moments, along with M J Savage and David Lange.
I'm certainly happy to hear him getting some insurance in talking about the global economic trouble of the horizon so that his Coalition Government doesn't get the blame when the crunch comes.

His emphasis on poverty, inequality, housing and migration was exactly what is needed, and I'd expect to see a correction in Auckland property toute de suite, given the immediate squeeze on migration likely to be applied. He sounded genuine when he spoke of families in cars and his and NZF's disgust at it.

His talking the Kiwi down hasn't gone as well, with an immediate almost 1 cent increase.
Still concerned that these three parties have promised a big spend up. Where is the money going to come from?

Hosking's face is priceless... he looks like someone peed in his Corn Flakes.

Last edited by smartcooky; 18th October 2017 at 11:59 PM.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics