IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Biden controversies , Donald Trump Jr. , Hunter Biden , rudy giuliani

Old 27th November 2022, 09:03 AM   #241
Warp12
King of Kings

Originally Posted by johnny karate View Post
Please be specific.

I already was, as related to this investigation and perhaps others. Fantastic opportunities for smear campaigns, I'd say.

Originally Posted by Warp12 View Post
The more I think about this, the more of an opportunity this seems. I mean, they don't even need to find any real evidence of corruption. They just need to time the "investigation" properly, and market it well. I know a lot of Dems think midterms went great, but losing the House may end up being more costly than they think.

Last edited by Warp12; 27th November 2022 at 09:07 AM.
Warp12 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2022, 09:24 AM   #242
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

I already was, as related to this investigation and perhaps others. Fantastic opportunities for smear campaigns, I'd say.
And your belief that a) the investigations and potential smear campaigns will be successful and b) anyone cares about any of this is based on what exactly?

Also, I asked for specificity not vague generalizations, but whatever.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2022, 09:28 AM   #243
Warp12
King of Kings

And your belief that a) the investigations and potential smear campaigns will be successful and b) anyone cares about any of this is based on what exactly?

This has already been discussed earlier in the thread, I believe. I can think of at least one recent election where smear efforts and investigations clearly influenced the outcome. So, I don't think anyone should underestimate the potential in this case.

Last edited by Warp12; 27th November 2022 at 09:29 AM.
Warp12 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2022, 09:49 AM   #244
johnny karate

This has already been discussed earlier in the thread, I believe. I can think of at least one recent election where smear efforts and investigations clearly influenced the outcome. So, I don't think anyone should underestimate the potential in this case.
Assuming youíre talking about the 2016 election, there were multiple variables involved that make drawing a straight line from investigations and smear campaigns to an election win for Republicans a rather simplistic read. And even if you want to assume that, the fact that getting Trump elected in 2016 cost Republicans three subsequent elections, Iíd hardly call that a net win for them.

So just to be clear: You think that Republicans using what little political capital they have to launch investigations into Hunter Biden led by the likes of Marjorie Taylor Greene is a politically savvy move? They should focus on this instead of crafting policies to help and appeal to the American public?
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2022, 09:57 AM   #245
Warp12
King of Kings

So just to be clear: You think that Republicans using what little political capital they have to launch investigations into Hunter Biden led by the likes of Marjorie Taylor Greene is a politically savvy move? They should focus on this instead of crafting policies to help and appeal to the American public?

I think it makes sense, based on the timing. Although I personally wouldn't suggest MTG to lead such an investigation. I've already discussed the reasons why, earlier in the thread.
Old 27th November 2022, 10:00 AM   #246
johnny karate

I think it makes sense, based on the timing. Although I personally wouldn't suggest MTG to lead such an investigation. I've already discussed the reasons why, earlier in the thread.
I hate to break it to you, but itís the cranks pushing this crap, so itís the cranks who will be at the driverís wheel.

Do you think the American public in general will be receptive to these investigations? If so, why?
Old 27th November 2022, 10:01 AM   #247
eerok
Quixoticist

In the GOP zero-sum game, they can only win by attacking their opponent. If they stooped to making policies of benefit to Americans, they might as well be Democrats.
Old 27th November 2022, 10:01 AM   #248
Warp12
King of Kings

Do you think the American public in general will be receptive to these investigations? If so, why?

Because it has clearly worked in the past. How many times must I repeat this?
Old 27th November 2022, 01:00 PM   #249
Tero
Master Poster

I think he implied some deep secrets are to be found in the laptop. But if there were some such secrets, they would have been found by now. Washington post, Fox, CBS and maybe some others have copies of the hard drive. But it is largely faked. So the FBI, if interrogated by the house, is not going to support any conclusions.

Hunter getting paid by Burisma is maybe a bit of unfair practice, but it is then Hunter and Burisma that are at fault. No recommendation by Joe or arm twisting of Ukraine was needed to get Hunter to Burisma. Take Burisma to court all you like, Republicans!

Politics blog: https://esapolitics.blogspot.com/
Parody: http://karireport.blogspot.com/
Poll: https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com...proval-rating/

Last edited by Tero; 27th November 2022 at 01:05 PM.
Tero is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2022, 01:02 PM   #250
Tero
Master Poster

Like Benghazi? Like Whitewater? Those worked real well.

Tero is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2022, 01:14 PM   #251
Warp12
King of Kings

Originally Posted by Tero View Post
Like Benghazi?

Oh, absolutely. Absolutely. That stain is still on her to this day. It is a good example of how you don't need a successful investigation to pull off a lasting smear. If you repeat even a lie enough times, people will start to believe it.

A lot of people won't follow the Hunter investigation. All they need to do is know that there is one. They will automatically assume legitimacy. Now, you may say those people are stupid, but I would suggest that most voters are fairly casual. I mean, even a single snark-filled debate can sway them.

That's why I say the GOP needs to time and market this right.

Last edited by Warp12; 27th November 2022 at 01:21 PM.
Old 27th November 2022, 02:54 PM   #252
sackett
Philosopher

There you have it, folks. Warped republican't thinking regards sleaze as right and good. Honorable too? Well, if it succeeds it must be.

And it's even indelible, at least in their minds.

If you would ruin a man's character, let him seize power.
sackett is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2022, 03:17 PM   #253
arayder
Illuminator

Originally Posted by sackett View Post
There you have it, folks. Warped republican't thinking regards sleaze as right and good. Honorable too? Well, if it succeeds it must be.

And it's even indelible, at least in their minds.
Someone on another thread said:

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
No surprise there, of course, but it certainly is an odd world, in which a person who, according to some threads, at least understands some motives for abortion, approves of sex education and birth control, and appreciates the value of a gay relative, is happy to support a party many of whose vociferous spokesmen absolutely oppose abortion, oppose sex education and birth control, and support the repression of homosexuality, the abolition of gay rights, and in some cases criminalization. . .
arayder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2022, 03:27 PM   #254
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

I hate to break it to you, but itís the cranks pushing this crap, so itís the cranks who will be at the driverís wheel.

Will it matter? We are talking, after all, of fools, hypocritical moralistic scolds and wannabe tyrants whose regard for such democratic frippery as "the public in general" is minimal if not downright negative. The driver cares little what goes on in the back of the bus.

"There is another world, but it's in this one." (Paul Eluard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2022, 03:41 PM   #255
arayder
Illuminator

Of you read a little history you can see countless examples of political parties genning up fake controversy with their only consideration being whether the public, or part of it, will believe the ruse.

But the Republican's problem is, as we saw in the results of the last election, lots of people are being to get the idea that this sort of thing is the only thing they do.
arayder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2022, 06:42 PM   #256
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Oh, absolutely. Absolutely. That stain is still on her to this day. It is a good example of how you don't need a successful investigation to pull off a lasting smear. If you repeat even a lie enough times, people will start to believe it.
It's a good example of unethical and disgusting tactics...one used generously by the Republican Party. The party that (falsely) prides itself on family and Christian values.

A lot of people won't follow the Hunter investigation. All they need to do is know that there is one. They will automatically assume legitimacy. Now, you may say those people are stupid, but I would suggest that most voters are fairly casual. I mean, even a single snark-filled debate can sway them.
"I mean, even a single snark-filled debate can sway them."

Which is why we "say those people are stupid".

That's why I say the GOP needs to time and market this right.
Wow. Not even a minimum attempt to hide it anymore.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 08:51 AM   #257
johnny karate

Do you think Donald Trump winning in 2016 has been a net positive for Republicans?
Old Yesterday, 10:30 AM   #258
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

Do you think Donald Trump winning in 2016 has been a net positive for Republicans?
You keep asking these questions. What answer are you looking for?
Beelzebuddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 10:31 AM   #259
johnny karate

Originally Posted by Beelzebuddy View Post
You keep asking these questions. What answer are you looking for?
Call me a starry-eyed optimist, but I was hoping for an honest one.
Old Yesterday, 11:05 AM   #260
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

Call me a starry-eyed optimist, but I was hoping for an honest one.
You already know the honest answer.
Beelzebuddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 03:11 PM   #261
mgidm86
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Beelzebuddy View Post
You already know the honest answer.

Round and round and round she goes, where she stops, nobody knows.
Old Yesterday, 06:02 PM   #262
Warp12
King of Kings

That is irrelevant.

What is important is that a well-orchestrated smear campaign can reap political rewards.
Old Yesterday, 07:21 PM   #263
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

That is irrelevant.

What is important is that a well-orchestrated smear campaign can reap political rewards.
Just ask Hitler!
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 08:08 PM   #264
johnny karate

That is irrelevant.

Like what? Please be specific.
Old Yesterday, 08:32 PM   #265
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Just ask Hitler!
Aye, there's the rub, though. It kind of depends on whether you measure it in 1940 or in 1945.

When your head lands in the basket it's not your political rewards that will be remembered.

"There is another world, but it's in this one." (Paul Eluard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 05:26 AM   #266
Tero
Master Poster

Since the florida guy gave the laptop to the FBI, I will not believe a word of the committee, unless they produce an actual laptop.

Old Today, 11:33 AM   #267
autumn1971
Illuminator

Originally Posted by eerok View Post
After years of investigation and millions spent, I'm confident the GOP will be able to show that Hunter Biden may in fact have owned a laptop.
I think this wildly overestimates the IQ of these fascist trash
'A knave; a rascal; an eater of broken meats; a base, proud, shallow, beggardly, three-suited, hundred-pound, filthy, worsted-stocking knave; a lily-livered, action-taking knave, a whoreson, glass-gazing, superservicable, finical rogue;... the son and heir of a mongral bitch: one whom I will beat into clamorous whining, if thou deniest the least syllable of thy addition."'
-The Bard
autumn1971 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics