IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Trials and Errors

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags michael stone; innocence;

Old 29th November 2022, 08:21 AM   #1
catsmate
No longer the 1

The innocence of Michael Stone

No not that Michael Stone convicted of murder the other Michael Stone convicted of murder, for the killing of Lin and Megan Russell (and also of the attempted murder of Josie Russell).

The case was one of the notorious trifecta of UKian murder cases of the 1990s, along with Colin Stagg and Barry George, both later cleared despite police obstructionism.

Th case against Stone, a fairly terrible human being, was weak to the point of non-existence; a dubious witness, a bootlace never connected to him and a trio of prisoners who alleged they heard Stone confess (one admitted lying , one was paid and the third even the prosecution admitted was unreliable).

Stone continued to maintain his innocence and has refused to apply for parole.
More.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2022, 04:07 PM   #2
Elaedith
Master Poster

There's a couple of older threads on this case.
Old 1st December 2022, 02:02 PM   #3
Matthew Best
Philosopher

This conviction always seemed a bit dubious to me, even when it happened.
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2022, 05:20 PM   #4
Rolfe
Adult human female

I'm sure we've had at least one thread on this, I'll see if I can hunt it up.
Old 1st December 2022, 05:22 PM   #5
Rolfe
Adult human female

Here we are. I think this is probably the only one, or at least the most recent one. Before that, I think the case was mentioned as a comparison when discussing other cases rather than having a thread on its own.

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...d.php?t=325221

Further discussion should probably be taken there.
Old 2nd December 2022, 03:04 PM   #6
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by Rolfe View Post
Here we are. I think this is probably the only one, or at least the most recent one. Before that, I think the case was mentioned as a comparison when discussing other cases rather than having a thread on its own.

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...d.php?t=325221

Further discussion should probably be taken there.
Bugger. Thanks for that.
I *did* look
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd December 2022, 03:13 PM   #7
Rolfe
Adult human female

I just bumped it, it's on the front page now.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Trials and Errors