IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Old 26th November 2022, 08:06 PM   #2681
Warp12
Banned

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Trump now saying he did not really know who Fuentas is. If you believe that, I have ocean front property in Kansas that might intereste you...

I like how some arbitrarily apply intelligence to Trump. 99% of the time they rant about how dumb he is, but when it comes to things like having a dossier on everyone he comes in contact with, he is a savant.

I'd think Trump was a lot more likely to know who Kanye was, than this guy.

Last edited by Warp12; 26th November 2022 at 08:54 PM.
Warp12 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th November 2022, 08:09 PM   #2682
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Warp12 View Post
I like how some arbitrarily apply intelligence to Trump. 99% of the time they rant about how dumb he is, but when it comes to like things having a dossier on everyone he comes in contact with, he is a savant.

Ease up. We're on the verge of winter and straw is scarce.
Old 26th November 2022, 08:12 PM   #2683
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

I like how some arbitrarily apply intelligence to Trump. 99% of the time they rant about how dumb he is, but when it comes to like things having a dossier on everyone he comes in contact with, he is a savant.

Not dumb; just an idiot. You'd like us to believe Trump isn't aware of one of his most public, most outspoken supporters?

For someone who isn't a Trump supporter, you have a record of constantly coming to his defense...like that post.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th November 2022, 08:50 PM   #2684
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Trump IS that dumb. He has people to tell him who he is meeting, where to go, what to say, and DON'T GO OFF SCRIPT!!

So he would have been told it was Nick Fuentes. But he would probably be dumb enough not to realise/remember who Fuentes was and his influence. It would be like Trump saying "This guy Adolf Shickelgruber had a funny accent, but I liked his ideas about European governments and stuff. Silly mustache, though."
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornetsí nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2022, 10:47 PM   #2685
Armitage72
Philosopher

There was a scene at the end of the abysmal Richard Pryor/Jackie Gleason alleged comedy "The Toy".
"Do you know who you're posing for a photo with Senator?"
"Why no ... I don't."
"You're standing next to the Grand Wizard of the Ku Klux Klan."

That guy had the sense to run for the hills, although in that case Gleason's character had set up the situation to blackmail him.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2022, 05:58 AM   #2686
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

I like how some arbitrarily apply intelligence to Trump. 99% of the time they rant about how dumb he is, but when it comes to things like having a dossier on everyone he comes in contact with, he is a savant.

Excuse me, but even with your keen eye for detail, you managed to overlook one important detail.

And that detail is: Trump is stupid POS, and this fact has been demonstrated time and time gain in the last several years.

To name just one example of many times that Trump has been a stupid POS would be during the January 6 insurrection. For over three hours while some of his supporters were attacking the Congress, Trump sat around watching things on his TV set while many of his closest staff members (including his one daughter that he wants to have sex with) were begging him to end the insurrection. And yet, Trump simply ignored them.

Therefore, if Trump is so incredibly stupid as to refuse to act to protect his own nation, that he was President of, then it should not be surprising to see Trump having a well know racist over to his house for dinner.

A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2022, 06:26 AM   #2687
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Uh-oh...that's gonna piss of his white supremacist base!
No, it won't because they don't believe him either. They know he knows and that it is best for him to plead ignorance.
Old 28th November 2022, 06:50 AM   #2688
Gulliver Foyle
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Not dumb; just an idiot. You'd like us to believe Trump isn't aware of one of his most public, most outspoken supporters?

For someone who isn't a Trump supporter, you have a record of constantly coming to his defense...like that post.
Trump has plenty of closeted supporters, I have found. Loads in the privacy of the poll booth and among fellow travelers, but in public they vanish like new melted snow.
Gulliver Foyle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2022, 07:13 AM   #2689
Donal
Philosopher

It is crazy how easily the masks come off. You just need one loud mouth voicing his support, and then they all think it is safe.
Old 28th November 2022, 08:59 AM   #2690
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

My mother had a dog that was so smart she would hear the first chord of a television commercial that contained dogs or horses, and would come running out to the living room to bark at the animals on the screen. She never failed. Commercials with cats, cows, goats, rabbits - not so much as the blink of an eye. If there were a "name that tune" for dogs, she'd have been the world champion. An idiot savant with a keen and discerning brain dedicated to slobbering on a picture tube.

Whether you call it intelligence or just cleverness depends on context and how locally you see it. The smartest dog in the world is still a dog.

"There is another world, but it's in this one." (Paul Eluard)

Last edited by bruto; 28th November 2022 at 09:01 AM.
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2022, 09:06 AM   #2691
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

As if simply knowing who you're dining with requires a high level of intellect.
Old 28th November 2022, 09:12 AM   #2692
Gulliver Foyle
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
We were expecting this to happen. Always nice seeing Trump have to deal with yet another legal problem...

A writer who accused former President Donald Trump of rape filed an upgraded lawsuit... in New York, minutes after a new state law took effect allowing victims of sexual violence to sue over attacks that occurred decades ago. E Jean Carrollís lawyer filed the legal papers electronically as the Adult Survivorís Act temporarily lifted the stateís usual deadlines for suing over sexual assault.

(She also has a lawsuit against Trump for defamation when Trump called her a liar... however, since he said that when he was president, he is claiming immunity since civil servants can't be sued for things they do as part of their job. The case is tied up in appeals while they try to decide if Trump calling someone a liar is part of the job description as "president')
No way should Trump's appeal to the original case be contemplated because it was him acting in a personal capacity for an alleged action prior to him being installed as president.
Gulliver Foyle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2022, 09:15 AM   #2693
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
Trump now saying he did not really know who Fuentas is. If you believe that, I have ocean front property in Kansas that might intereste you...
Not really.

What he "knows" seems to be rather haphazard. Remember, he was the man who claimed he didn't know who David Duke was, AFTER he had publicly disavowed Duke.
Quote:
You know, that doesn't really help him much.

Even if you assume Trump didn't know who Fuentes was, and even if Trump's security detail and advisors didn't warn him "this guy's a neo-nazi".... Even if Fuentes wasn't even there and it was just Trump and Kanye...

Kanye has his own issues with Anti-semitism. (He had his own controversy after saying he was going "death Con 3" on jewish people.) When Kanye requested the meeting, Trump should have said "no, your own remarks about Jewish people are toxic and I don't want to be near you in case people start to associate me with the same attitudes".

People are rightly focused on Fuentes, but a headline "Trump has dinner with singer known for anti-semitic remarks" would also be an accurate assessment (and also reflective of Trump's neo-nazi leanings).

I'm Mary Poppins Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2022, 10:45 AM   #2694
Venom
Philosopher

I believe Trump was sincerely surprised to meet Nick Fuentes that evening. It appears Fuentes connected with Ye through Milo Yiannopoulos.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2022, 10:56 AM   #2695
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Venom View Post
I believe Trump was sincerely surprised to meet Nick Fuentes that evening. It appears Fuentes connected with Ye through Milo Yiannopoulos.
So the person who wants to (again) be president of the (currently) strongest nation in the world just lets people drag anybody into his home and have dinner with them? ... Sounds great!

Hans
Old 28th November 2022, 11:28 AM   #2696
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

I believe Trump was pleasantly sincerely surprised to meet Nick Fuentes that evening. It appears Fuentes connected with Ye through Milo Yiannopoulos.
FTFY
Old 28th November 2022, 11:30 AM   #2697
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Even if Trump was surprised to meet Fuentes...

1) Being the "stable Genius" that he is, He should have at least known who he was, so when he showed up, he should have said "nope, won't be seen with him"

2) Even if Trump didn't know who he was, his advisors/security people should have told him "he's a neo-nazi" and Trump should have rejected seeing him as a result

3) Even if the presence and reputation of Fuentes didn't raise any red flags, Kayne West himself (who has recently been criticized for anti-Jewish statements himself) should not be anywhere near Trump

I'm Mary Poppins Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2022, 11:55 AM   #2698
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by MRC_Hans View Post
So the person who wants to (again) be president of the (currently) strongest nation in the world just lets people drag anybody into his home and have dinner with them? ... Sounds great!

Hans
Not just anyone, though. A friend of Ye and Milo is sure to be a friend of his.

bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2022, 04:36 PM   #2699
mgidm86
Philosopher

I believe the complete opposite of anything Trump claims. It's an easy rule to live by.

I don't feel I'm exaggerating when I say Trump lies almost every time he speaks. If enough words come out there will certainly be a lie.

There's nothing to debate. We know exactly what's going on here. He's meeting with scummy people who fit right in with him....crazy dickheads. He's too stupid to realize anyone would notice or care about these people being in his presence.
mgidm86 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2022, 04:55 PM   #2700
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

A few minutes ago somebody in the Fake News MSM was expressing astonishment that various Republicans weren't repudiating Trump for hosting a White Nationalist Anti-Semite. Except for Mike Pence. Those Republicans, except for Pence, are smarter than the MSM flack. They know they need the White Nationalist Anti-Semite vote to get the R nomination, but it's a drawback in general elections. So they keep mum.
Old 28th November 2022, 06:15 PM   #2701
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
I believe the complete opposite of anything Trump claims. It's an easy rule to live by...
This reminds me of a famous barb directed at the former owner of the New York Yankees baseball team, the controversial George Steinbrenner.
Quote:
Chicago White Sox board chairman Jerry Reinsdorf at the 1983 Chicago All-Star Game party: "How do you know when George Steinbrenner is lying? When his lips are moving." Tampa Bay Times
How do you know when donald trump is lying? When his lips are moving.
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2022, 07:27 PM   #2702
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

I believe the complete opposite of anything Trump claims. It's an easy rule to live by.

I don't feel I'm exaggerating when I say Trump lies almost every time he speaks. If enough words come out there will certainly be a lie.

There's nothing to debate. We know exactly what's going on here. He's meeting with scummy people who fit right in with him....crazy dickheads. He's too stupid to realize He doesn't give a big rat's ass whether anyone would notice or care about these people being in his presence.
Since whenever.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornetsí nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2022, 07:46 PM   #2703
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
My mother had a dog that was so smart she would hear the first chord of a television commercial that contained dogs or horses, and would come running out to the living room to bark at the animals on the screen. She never failed. Commercials with cats, cows, goats, rabbits - not so much as the blink of an eye. If there were a "name that tune" for dogs, she'd have been the world champion. An idiot savant with a keen and discerning brain dedicated to slobbering on a picture tube.

Whether you call it intelligence or just cleverness depends on context and how locally you see it. The smartest dog in the world is still a dog.
Some dogs are smarter than some people.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2022, 10:02 PM   #2704
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

It's an easy rule, but deeply problematic, especially given that Trump has often made mutually exclusive claims and has stated true things on numerous occasions. A mildly amusing true thing from not that long ago was Trump claiming that Democrats want to lock him up. Yeah, obviously, after all his crime, corruption, and real harm done. The easy way to fix the big problem is to treat what Trump says as BS. Alternately, treat it like Russian (or Republican) propaganda. In either case, truth isn't really a distinguishing feature, but truth can appear, albeit often combined with fallacy and spin in an effort to create an emotionally appealing argument (that it is often intellectually bankrupt has little bearing on emotional appeal).

Last edited by Aridas; 28th November 2022 at 10:24 PM.
Aridas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2022, 10:12 PM   #2705
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

a cynical person might argue that a President should be aware who he is siting down to Dinner with.
Old 28th November 2022, 10:14 PM   #2706
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
a cynical person might argue that a President should be aware who he is siting down to Dinner with.
Then clearly Trump is not president.

Old 28th November 2022, 10:28 PM   #2707
Aridas

I will note again that Ye apparently said that Trump was quite pleased with the meeting. I'd say that that should be far more of interest than this dancing around whether Trump knew or not.
Old 28th November 2022, 10:36 PM   #2708
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by Aridas View Post
I will note again that Ye apparently said that Trump was quite pleased with the meeting. I'd say that that should be far more of interest than this dancing around whether Trump knew or not.
i was pointing out that the excuse "Trump didn't know" is a direct admission that Trump is not fit to be President.
Old 28th November 2022, 10:42 PM   #2709
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Even if Trump was surprised to meet Fuentes
Assume for the sake of argument that Trump really didn't expect to meet Fuentes. It's inconceivable that Fuentes didn't spend the dinner spouting his bilge about blacks, Jews, women, etc., etc. Maddow tonight ran a clip of a Fuentes speech where he basically wanted to create an American Catholic Taliban "in a good way," with Trump the President forever. But Trump didn't come out and say "That guy's crazy!" or "He started a rant and I told him I didn't want to hear it." He didn't have a word of criticism or rebuke for "Ye" or his buddy. I can only conclude Trump bought into every word.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2022, 10:45 PM   #2710
Aridas

i was pointing out that the excuse "Trump didn't know" is a direct admission that Trump is not fit to be President.
Which is simply one more reason to add to the mountain. It's not even a new one, really. Trump invited Ted Nugent to the White House when he was actually President, for example. This whole thing is a pale shadow of the problems invoked with that, honestly.
Old 29th November 2022, 07:16 AM   #2711
Venom
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
Assume for the sake of argument that Trump really didn't expect to meet Fuentes. It's inconceivable that Fuentes didn't spend the dinner spouting his bilge about blacks, Jews, women, etc., etc. Maddow tonight ran a clip of a Fuentes speech where he basically wanted to create an American Catholic Taliban "in a good way," with Trump the President forever. But Trump didn't come out and say "That guy's crazy!" or "He started a rant and I told him I didn't want to hear it." He didn't have a word of criticism or rebuke for "Ye" or his buddy. I can only conclude Trump bought into every word.
It is conceivable, even likely that the conversation between Fuentes and Trump went more or less like the source who heard the conversation reported.

Trump should be more heavyhanded, less subdued, less PC when he speaks. I am one of your biggest fans, you'd beat the competition for 2024, etc.

As over the top as Fuentes is for his white nationalist fanbase, he likely didn't hook up with Kanye by calling him a N-----. I bet he was more subdued when speaking to Trump for the first time as well.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2022, 10:27 AM   #2712
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Now, now, it's not as if Trump has ever actually listened to anything said to him by anyone!
Old 29th November 2022, 01:17 PM   #2713
Gulliver Foyle
Graduate Poster

There's nothing to debate. We know exactly what's going on here. He's meeting with scummy people who fit right in with him....crazy dickheads. He's too stupid to realize anyone would notice or care about these people being in his presence.
That's why I am convinced that an honest cause of death for him will be "alcohol related liver failure". The man even acts like a drunk.
Old 29th November 2022, 02:04 PM   #2714
Regnad Kcin
Penultimate Amazing

Nobody knows who to have dinner with better than me. — Donald Somebody
Old 29th November 2022, 10:36 PM   #2715
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Gulliver Foyle View Post
That's why I am convinced that an honest cause of death for him will be "alcohol related liver failure". The man even acts like a drunk.
I'm in no way defending Trump when I observe that if he really was a drinker, people who have spent a lot of time around him -- like Michael Cohen -- would be able to say so. I think it's entirely believable that Trump abstains after seeing what booze did to his brother.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2022, 12:21 AM   #2716
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

I'm in no way defending Trump when I observe that if he really was a drinker, people who have spent a lot of time around him -- like Michael Cohen -- would be able to say so. I think it's entirely believable that Trump abstains after seeing what booze did to his brother.
Hell, if he were a drunk, it would at least explain some things. But, no...he's like that cold stone sober.
Old 30th November 2022, 01:57 AM   #2717
Delvo
Дэлво Δελϝο דֶלְבֹֿ देल्वो

...unless he has that medical condition in which a body makes its own alcohol...
Delvo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2022, 03:40 PM   #2718
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

SO the only defense Trump has for the Fuentas meetings is that he is an idiot?
Nice.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2022, 05:06 PM   #2719
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
SO the only defense Trump has for the Fuentas meetings is that he is an idiot?
Nice.
Nothing new there. It's a common excuse of right wingers when their guys are caught doing something really rotten or criminal: they're too dumb to know what they're doing.

Old 30th November 2022, 06:08 PM   #2720
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Only from alcohol...

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics