IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags police incidents , police issues , police misconduct charges

Old Yesterday, 07:33 AM   #1641
Gulliver Foyle
Muse

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
"...Austin Lee Edwards, a former trooper with the Virginia State Police who was working for the Washington County Sheriff's Office..."

Given the many similarities in many of these types of stories I have to wonder why was he a "former trooper", and what background research was done when he was employed in Wahington County.
Given what comes out too often when US cops are sacked and rehired elsewhere, a call to the chief of his former department who replied something along the lines of "yeah, he's a good kid, bu the woke crowd got a bit uppity after he pistol whipped a black person, who we all know is a drug dealer but could never plant evidence on, and to save the department we 'let him go'."
Gulliver Foyle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 07:55 AM   #1642
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Gulliver Foyle View Post
Given what comes out too often when US cops are sacked and rehired elsewhere, a call to the chief of his former department who replied something along the lines of "yeah, he's a good kid, bu the woke crowd got a bit uppity after he pistol whipped a black person, who we all know is a drug dealer but could never plant evidence on, and to save the department we 'let him go'."

From the link:
Quote:
A spokesperson for the Virginia State Police said Edwards entered its academy on July 6, 2021, and graduated as a trooper on Jan. 21 of this year. He was assigned to Henrico County, which is within the Richmond Division, they said, before his October resignation.

The Washington County Sheriff's Office said in a statement that Edwards was hired on Nov. 16 and recently began orientation there. The office was getting ready to assign him to the patrol division.

"Past employers and the Virginia State Police were contacted during the hiring processing," the sheriff's office said, "however, no employers disclosed any troubles, reprimands, or internal investigations pertaining to Edwards."
Sounds like he didn't make his probationary year. Employers generally, not just police, often won't badmouth an ex-employee for fear of a lawsuit. Sometimes employees will agree to resign instead of being fired in exchange for a positive, or at least a not-negative, reference. Another argument for a national database of police officers that would include disciplinary actions.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 09:48 AM   #1643
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Location: Out back preparing the bunker for the next Civil War
I can't even imagine what is going on in the mind of a man who is that deranged. He must have known that this had to end with his death or life imprisonment, but that didn't stop him.

Last edited by shemp; Yesterday at 09:49 AM.
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 01:44 PM   #1644
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
"...Austin Lee Edwards, a former trooper with the Virginia State Police who was working for the Washington County Sheriff's Office..."

Given the many similarities in many of these types of stories I have to wonder why was he a "former trooper", and what background research was done when he was employed in Wahington County.
I had to read several articles that all called him a "former state trooper" before I found out that he was an active sheriff's deputy at the time of the crime.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 02:28 PM   #1645
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
I had to read several articles that all called him a "former state trooper" before I found out that he was an active sheriff's deputy at the time of the crime.
News organizations vomiting up police talking points. It's just about all they do.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 02:33 PM   #1646
Suddenly
No Punting

I'm seeing headlines of his being "employed" by the Sheriff, and yesterday CNN left any connection out of their headline.

Lets see how much of a copwashing lede I can compose:

"There was an officer involved shooting yesterday after individuals interfered with a deputy attempting to place a teen in personal custody"
Suddenly is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 03:44 PM   #1647
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

State trooper is one of the most prestigious law enforcement jobs. State police have some of the toughest hiring standards and training requirements. An ex-trooper going off the rails is more newsworthy than a rural county deputy. And he was a trooper until a month ago. The link says local police haven't said whether he was actually a current cop.
Quote:
It wasn't clear if Edwards, 28, was a sworn officer when he allegedly killed 69-year-old Mark Winek; his wife, 65-year-old Sharie Winek; and their daughter, 38-year-old Brooke Winek.
In a statement, Andis said Edwards was hired earlier this month and was in the process of being assigned to the patrol division. Edwards resigned from Virginia State Police on October 28, a spokesperson for the agency said.

"Former state trooper" is his most recent confirmed police job.

Last edited by Bob001; Yesterday at 03:54 PM.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 05:13 PM   #1648
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

A different perspective: American doesn't have enough police officers.
Quote:
Lewis and Usmani complicate the narrative with this statistic: Many other industrialized democracies field more police per capita than the United States does. At 212 officers per 100,000 total residents, this country ranks in the 41st percentile, behind Germany, Spain and Belgium, among others.

Relative to its level of serious crime, the United States is even more of an outlier; it has one-ninth as many police officers, per homicide, than the median developed country.

The result is that U.S. police are 44 percent less likely than counterparts abroad to clear cases of serious crime. Lewis and Usmani emphasize that American police devote as much effort — per officer — to such cases; the problem is insufficient personnel.
This is a disaster for public safety, because certainty of arrest is the best way to deter crime. The U.S. criminal justice system relies instead on a far less efficient means: harsh sentences for offenders who get caught, much harsher than those in peer nations.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...ustice-reform/
https://direct.mit.edu/ajle/article/...NG-IN-AMERICA1
Old Today, 06:08 PM   #1649
Suddenly
No Punting

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
A different perspective: American doesn't have enough police officers.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...ustice-reform/
https://direct.mit.edu/ajle/article/...NG-IN-AMERICA1
Seems a fair point.

It's a pretty complicated dynamic. I will say that if we tripled the number of cops without other reforms things would be way worse because all of this is a series of maladaptive responses to other issues that themselves often are responses and so on. If someone were to take away from this that more cops is the easy solution they'd be in for a surprise.

Cop training and culture is so broken at present that putting more people out there would be tragic. The bar to entry really doesn't need to be lower.

I do wonder about definitions and how the raw numbers track across systems. I suspect a common US problem isn't too few patrolmen/street cops as much as nowhere near enough expert detectives and analysts.

It occurs to me there is no reason a detective needs to be a cop. With the skillset I've developed I'd be an excellent detective w/r/t piecing evidence together and building a case but I'm excluded from that sort of thing because I'm not going to be a cop first. It's somewhat limiting the talent pool.
Suddenly is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events