IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 28th November 2022, 04:41 PM   #1161
slyjoe
Illuminator

Originally Posted by johnny karate View Post
A reminder that the elections in Maricopa County - where most of these complaints are directed - is run almost exclusively by Republicans.

Republicans apparently stole the election from themselves.
And the two counties threatening to not certify the election (Mohave and Cochise) are heavily Republican, and if they don't canvas the votes by today they could have their votes tossed. Which would flip two positions from Republican to Democratic. ETA: A rep and superintendent of education IIRC.

Note: I don't see courts allowing these dumbass supervisors to disenfranchise this many voters. These supervisors are violating the law and could face criminal prosecution.
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
slyjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2022, 03:17 PM   #1162
mgidm86
Philosopher

Originally Posted by slyjoe View Post
And the two counties threatening to not certify the election (Mohave and Cochise) are heavily Republican, and if they don't canvas the votes by today they could have their votes tossed. Which would flip two positions from Republican to Democratic. ETA: A rep and superintendent of education IIRC.

Note: I don't see courts allowing these dumbass supervisors to disenfranchise this many voters. These supervisors are violating the law and could face criminal prosecution.

Please Republicans, give your party an enema. We can't afford one of our two parties to be this comically stupid.

I'm still hoping I will wake up in 2014.
mgidm86 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2022, 04:56 PM   #1163
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

One of the few times Chochise County has made the national news since the Earps and the Clantons shot it out in Tombstone.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2022, 05:22 PM   #1164
slyjoe
Illuminator

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
One of the few times Chochise County has made the national news since the Earps and the Clantons shot it out in Tombstone.
I don't think it's over yet.

The republican supervisors are trying to hire the attorney that represented the Cyber Ninjas in the 2020 election crap.
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
slyjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2022, 08:04 PM   #1165
bonzombiekitty
Graduate Poster

I don't think it's over yet.

The republican supervisors are trying to hire the attorney that represented the Cyber Ninjas in the 2020 election crap.
And he turned them down.
bonzombiekitty is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2022, 11:24 AM   #1166
slyjoe
Illuminator

Here is a profile of the two MAGA supervisors holding up certification. Last I heard they were probably going to go to court alone.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news...w/69690420007/

Tom Crosby and Peggy Judd - both proudly ignorant. Of pretty much everything.

Last edited by slyjoe; 1st December 2022 at 11:27 AM.
Old 1st December 2022, 04:23 PM   #1167
slyjoe
Illuminator

The judge forced the two supervisors present to certify the results, so they did right then and there.

The judge cited Judd's quote in the NYT about this being a voting machine cover story didn't go over well.
Old 2nd December 2022, 06:43 PM   #1168
Tero
Master Poster

I don't know enough legal procedure stuff to know what these sanctions are

https://youtu.be/NobcISaWDuk
Meidas Touch
Kari Lake Lawyers SANCTIONED by Federal Court for FRIVOLOUS Lawsuit

There is some money involved, the lawyers for the clowns need to pay for....frivolous waste of court time?
OK yes
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frivolous_litigation
up to 25 000

Politics blog: https://esapolitics.blogspot.com/
Parody: http://karireport.blogspot.com/
Poll: https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com...proval-rating/

Last edited by Tero; 2nd December 2022 at 06:46 PM.
Tero is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2022, 12:25 AM   #1169
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Trump, the next Lost Cause.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2022, 06:03 AM   #1170
Armitage72
Philosopher

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post

When Trump finally dies, it will become like those old Weekly World News stories about JFK being alive and in hiding. They'll claim that Trump faked his death and is planning his triumphant return to office from a secret location. Any day now.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2022, 06:24 AM   #1171
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
"Sir, we've looked at all the viable options available to you, and we've concluded you should fake your own death and go into hiding, as the very best possible scenario for you."
Mike! is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2022, 07:45 AM   #1172
slyjoe
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Tero View Post
I don't know enough legal procedure stuff to know what these sanctions are

https://youtu.be/NobcISaWDuk
Meidas Touch
Kari Lake Lawyers SANCTIONED by Federal Court for FRIVOLOUS Lawsuit

There is some money involved, the lawyers for the clowns need to pay for....frivolous waste of court time?
OK yes
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frivolous_litigation
up to 25 000
They need to pay for the state's lawyers. The state has 2 weeks to submit amount, and then the lawyers have 2 weeks to respond.

Why this crap doesn't take about 2 days is beyond me.
Old 3rd December 2022, 08:42 AM   #1173
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
They need to pay for the state's lawyers. The state has 2 weeks to submit amount, and then the lawyers have 2 weeks to respond.

Why this crap doesn't take about 2 days is beyond me.
It takes time to translate Gibberish to Latin.
Mike! is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2022, 03:17 PM   #1174
mgidm86
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
When Trump finally dies, it will become like those old Weekly World News stories about JFK being alive and in hiding. They'll claim that Trump faked his death and is planning his triumphant return to office from a secret location. Any day now.

I'm thinking if I plan now I can monetize this. I keep kicking myself for not cashing in already with these jerkwads.

"Two Weeks Til The Resurrection" T-shirts.

Bobbleheads of Trump in a soccer uniform ("Trump Saves!")

Maybe a swastika crucifix.
mgidm86 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2022, 09:17 PM   #1175
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Raphael Warnock wins Georgia

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...te-vote-latest

I have only two comments to make about this result

1. Almost 50% of Georgians really are so stupid they are unable to see that Walker has all the intelligence of a used cinder block?

2. It must have been so hard for all those white nationalist Georgia redneck voters to have only a choice between two black men.

Last edited by smartcooky; 6th December 2022 at 09:29 PM.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2022, 09:52 PM   #1176
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post

1. Almost 50% of Georgians really are so stupid they are unable to see that Walker has all the intelligence of a used cinder block?
There was a time when even stupid and ignorant people realised they needed someone reasonably intelligent and knowledgeable to run their country. These days a lot of them seem to have decided that no, what they really need are leaders who are just as stupid and ignorant as they are.
Old 6th December 2022, 11:47 PM   #1177
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
There was a time when even stupid and ignorant people realised they needed someone reasonably intelligent and knowledgeable to run their country. These days a lot of them seem to have decided that no, what they really need are leaders who are just as stupid and ignorant as they are.
That was before the GOP turned "educated and intelligent" into "anti-intellectualism".
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2022, 11:57 PM   #1178
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

1. Almost 50% of Georgians really are so stupid they are unable to see that Walker has all the intelligence of a used cinder block?.
Maybe they just wanted a congressman who could deal with important affairs of state... Like whether a werewolf could beat a vampire.

You know, the stuff people care about

Sent from my moto e using Tapatalk

I'm Mary Poppins Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2022, 07:32 AM   #1179
Donal
Philosopher

It doesn't make a difference. they voted for the (R). Tribalism is very strong.

Quote:
2. It must have been so hard for all those white nationalist Georgia redneck voters to have only a choice between two black men.
Are you kidding? Having a black guy spout all of their rhetoric is great. It lets them pretend they aren't racist. "I can't be racist, I voted for the ...African American"
Old 7th December 2022, 07:38 AM   #1180
eerok
Quixoticist

America dodged a bullet, and I hope that's the end of Walker's political ambitions. That guy is an idiot.
Old 7th December 2022, 07:44 AM   #1181
bonzombiekitty
Graduate Poster

Here's the important thing that a lot of people seem to be ignoring/forgetting. For a very substantial portion of the Republican voters in GA, his (lack of) intelligence isn't a problem. If anything, it's a feature. He'll vote the way the party tells him to. He doesn't need to think, argue, come up with his own ideas, or aspire to be remarkable. He'll do what he's told. That's all that matters.

If he had won, they'd get someone in the senate that would be a reliable vote for whatever they want while giving a veneer of "we're not racist, we elected a black senator!".
bonzombiekitty is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2022, 07:47 AM   #1182
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by eerok View Post
America dodged a bullet, and I hope that's the end of Walker's political ambitions. That guy is an idiot.
I see him as a near-future candidate for vice president!
Old 7th December 2022, 08:07 AM   #1183
Donal
Philosopher

Originally Posted by bonzombiekitty View Post
Here's the important thing that a lot of people seem to be ignoring/forgetting. For a very substantial portion of the Republican voters in GA, his (lack of) intelligence isn't a problem. If anything, it's a feature.
It's why lawyer, Rhode Scholar, and Oxford University attendee John Kennedy does a Foghorn Leghorn impression and rambles about "elites".
Old 7th December 2022, 08:26 AM   #1184
Armitage72
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Donal View Post
It's why lawyer, Rhode Scholar, and Oxford University attendee John Kennedy does a Foghorn Leghorn impression and rambles about "elites".

To be pedantic, as a Senator it would probably be more accurate to say that he's doing an impression of Senator Beauregard Claghorn, the character that Foghorn Leghorn was a parody of.

Yes, I know most people have never heard of Senator Claghorn. That's a joke son.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2022, 12:53 PM   #1185
Suddenly
No Punting

The group you speak of have no more trouble with a black guy doing their bidding as a senator than they do a black kid scoring touchdowns for the Bulldogs. As long as they stay in line there isn't a problem.

The whole southern cultural tradition is built around getting black persons to do their work for them, so, yeah....
Suddenly is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2022, 01:09 PM   #1186
trustbutverify
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Suddenly View Post
The group you speak of have no more trouble with a black guy doing their bidding as a senator than they do a black kid scoring touchdowns for the Bulldogs. As long as they stay in line there isn't a problem.

The whole southern cultural tradition is built around getting black persons to do their work for them, so, yeah....
There's nothing more useful to KKK sympathizers than a black front-man.
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2022, 02:47 PM   #1187
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
The most telling sign is that Rupert Murdoch has washed his hands of Trump.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2022, 02:49 PM   #1188
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
To be pedantic, as a Senator it would probably be more accurate to say that he's doing an impression of Senator Beauregard Claghorn, the character that Foghorn Leghorn was a parody of.

Yes, I know most people have never heard of Senator Claghorn. That's a joke son.
Iroice the most people nowdays don't get that Foghorn Leghorn was a parody of Senator Claghorn from the old Fred Allen Radio show.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 8th December 2022, 02:49 AM   #1189
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

For all that he likes to portray himself as a "kingmaker" who forms public opinion, IMO Rupert Murdoch merely reflects public opinion in order to keep his media outlets profitable.

Day-to-day control has in any case passed to his son Lachlan who is apparently far more right wing (and more dogmatically so) than his father.

If it becomes apparent that President Trump still has the power to direct eyeballs to FOXNews then I'd expect to see opinions about him warming. If, as you suggest, he really is a busted flush then you're absolutely right and the Murdochs will move on to DeSantis or whoever else is the designated heir to Trumpism.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th December 2022, 08:45 AM   #1190
Donal
Philosopher

Originally Posted by trustbutverify View Post
There's nothing more useful to KKK sympathizers than a black front-man.
It's why the myth of "Black Confederate soldiers" is almost as common as "it was about states' rights!" in those discussions.
Old 11th December 2022, 06:19 PM   #1191
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by bonzombiekitty View Post
Here's the important thing that a lot of people seem to be ignoring/forgetting. For a very substantial portion of the Republican voters in GA, his (lack of) intelligence isn't a problem. If anything, it's a feature. He'll vote the way the party tells him to. He doesn't need to think, argue, come up with his own ideas, or aspire to be remarkable. He'll do what he's told. That's all that matters.

If he had won, they'd get someone in the senate that would be a reliable vote for whatever they want while giving a veneer of "we're not racist, we elected a black senator!".
BINGO! He was an all win situation for them.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th December 2022, 06:35 AM   #1192
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Alas washing your hands won't cure metastasized cancer.
Old 12th December 2022, 07:55 AM   #1193
Donal
Philosopher

It's gonna weird seeing FOX news go all Lady Macbeth
Old 12th December 2022, 08:08 AM   #1194
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Ah but will the MAGAchud talking heads on fox news get the memo?

After all Murdoch can tell the editors of the WSJ and producers at Fox News "feel free to say bad things about Trump now". But it is possible that Carlson, Hannity, Purro, etc. Are so far down the rabbit hole that they may continue to praise Trump.

Sent from my moto e using Tapatalk

I'm Mary Poppins Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th December 2022, 08:23 AM   #1195
lobosrul5
Illuminator

Iroice the most people nowdays don't get that Foghorn Leghorn was a parody of Senator Claghorn from the old Fred Allen Radio show.
I went nearly 4 decades between first seeing a Foghorn Leghorn cartoon and learning that. Interesting tidbit, thanks to Armitage (looked it up on wiki).
lobosrul5 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th December 2022, 11:45 AM   #1196
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Kari Lake, the defeated AZ candidate for governor, is digging in on her going full Trump: she filed a lawsuit over her 'rigged election' loss.

Quote:
Kari Lake’s long-awaited lawsuit challenging the 2022 election is in and, well, goodness.
I haven’t seen this level of delusion since mom told me I’d be homecoming queen.
Lake’s lawsuit, filed late Friday, asks a judge to declare her Arizona’s new governor or, in the alternative, to order a redo of the Nov. 8 election won by Gov.-elect Katie Hobbs.

She also wants a forensic audit. (Cue the groans from across Arizona.)

Lawsuit is long on claims, short on evidence
In a nutshell, her lawsuit is 70 pages of grievance and disbelief, sprinkled with frequent flights of fancy.

A lot of woulda couldas about the many ways in which Hobbs and Maricopa County election officials stole Lake’s victory.

The only thing missing is any actual evidence that they did.

My favorite part of the lawsuit is the first paragraph, citing a Republican pollster’s public opinion poll – one that asked likely voters across the U.S. if they agreed with Lake that “many voters were, sadly, deprived” of their right to vote.

“The eyes of the Country are on Arizona ....,” the lawsuit begins. “The results of that poll are stunning. Seventy-two percent (72%) of likely voters said they agree with Lake’s statement, including 45% who strongly agree.”
Old 12th December 2022, 02:25 PM   #1197
mgidm86
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Kari Lake, the defeated AZ candidate for governor, is digging in on her going full Trump: she filed a lawsuit over her 'rigged election' loss.

Quote:
“The eyes of the Country are on Arizona ....,” the lawsuit begins. “The results of that poll are stunning. Seventy-two percent (72%) of likely voters said they agree with Lake’s statement, including 45% who strongly agree.”

If only those "72% of people" had voted she'd have won! "Likely voters?" Get a clue, hon, the vote already happened. There are no likely voters.

The eyes of the country are on your dumb ass, you got that right. Pathetic whiners these Republicans gee whiz.

Arizona, welcome to the Democratic party!

Last edited by mgidm86; 12th December 2022 at 02:26 PM.
Old 12th December 2022, 03:09 PM   #1198
turingtest
Mistral, mistral wind...

Gotta love the reasoning there- a poll of actual voters in Arizona that rejected Lake is totally untrustworthy and should be discarded because an unregulated poll of "likely" voters not even necessarily in Arizona says so. I mean, c'mon- you're making noises about the people of Arizona being deprived of a voice by using as evidence what a bunch of non-Arizonans said?

Life was a short shelf that came with bookends- Stephen King
turingtest is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th December 2022, 04:40 PM   #1199
slyjoe
Illuminator

Originally Posted by turingtest View Post
Gotta love the reasoning there- a poll of actual voters in Arizona that rejected Lake is totally untrustworthy and should be discarded because an unregulated poll of "likely" voters not even necessarily in Arizona says so. I mean, c'mon- you're making noises about the people of Arizona being deprived of a voice by using as evidence what a bunch of non-Arizonans said?
I don't think they understand the difference between population and sample.
Old 12th December 2022, 05:41 PM   #1200
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

We've seen this rodeo before. There is only one reason for the lawsuit and it is spelled 'grifting'.

https://savearizonafund.com/
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics