IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » History, Literature, and the Arts

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags D. B. Cooper

Old 27th November 2016, 06:06 PM   #41
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

FBI's D.B. Cooper files now available online, with author's call for help in solving case

Originally Posted by OregonLive
"Schaffner said that she had been seated for about 30 seconds, and as the plane started taxiing toward the runway, the hijacker turned around and handed her an envelope. She said that at first she thought he was making a pass at her and did not open it immediately. She said the man turned around and looked at her several times, and she felt that he was indicating that he wanted her to open the envelope immediately.

The note inside the envelope said, "MISS -- I have a bomb here and I would like you to sit by me.""

Geoffrey Gray is publishing online the FBI's Cooper case files, which he acquired while doing research for his book, "Skyjack: The Hunt for D.B. Cooper." He wants his fellow Cooperites to burrow into the documents and help him come up with new leads and theories. This week, he published the FBI's interview reports with passengers and crew, and in the weeks ahead he will release hundreds more documents.

"We're opening up everything we have to the public, and we need help solving the case," Gray told the Washington Post...
http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/i...files_now.html
Old 27th November 2016, 06:16 PM   #42
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Sasquatch ate him.
Old 21st November 2022, 04:50 PM   #43
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Really really old thread bump....(Could start a new thread but someone might have interest in some of the older posts / evidence provided)

There is a new theory for the identity of DB Cooper.

Analysis of a tie that he had been wearing (and left behind on the plane) turned up particles of both a unique Titanium alloy, and salt. The alloy was experimental, and was traced to a Pennsylvania metal-working company, and only 8 main researchers would have had regular contact with it. They asked a retired manager for the company, and he identified Vince Petersen (who had been doing research into salt corrosion on Titanium alloys, and who was known to regularly travel to the pacific north west.)

Peterson died over 10 years ago, and his son doesn't think he was Cooper. Not sure if the FBI is interested at all, or if its just one of these "private investigator turns up something that may or may not be relevant".

See: Yahoo News

There is a little similarity but then Petersen is a lot older in the photograph.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cooper-peterson.jpg (14.2 KB, 182 views)

I'm Mary Poppins Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2022, 05:00 PM   #44
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Really really old thread bump....(Could start a new thread but someone might have interest in some of the older posts / evidence provided)

There is a new theory for the identity of DB Cooper.

Analysis of a tie that he had been wearing (and left behind on the plane) turned up particles of both a unique Titanium alloy, and salt. The alloy was experimental, and was traced to a Pennsylvania metal-working company, and only 8 main researchers would have had regular contact with it. They asked a retired manager for the company, and he identified Vince Petersen (who had been doing research into salt corrosion on Titanium alloys, and who was known to regularly travel to the pacific north west.)

Peterson died over 10 years ago, and his son doesn't think he was Cooper. Not sure if the FBI is interested at all, or if its just one of these "private investigator turns up something that may or may not be relevant".

See: Yahoo News

There is a little similarity but then Petersen is a lot older in the photograph.
That's some pretty impressive forensics. I winder how many person hours were involve?
Old 22nd November 2022, 12:30 AM   #45
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Gord_in_Toronto View Post
Quote:
That's some pretty impressive forensics. I winder how many person hours were involve?
I'm curious about why someone bothered to investigate this line of evidence now. You would figure that the FBI would have had the resources to do a proper analysis years ago.

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2022, 01:05 AM   #46
Roger Ramjets
Philosopher

They look very similar to me.
Old 22nd November 2022, 08:48 AM   #47
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

I'm curious about why someone bothered to investigate this line of evidence now. You would figure that the FBI would have had the resources to do a proper analysis years ago.
I think the process must have been pretty difficult and convoluted. Is there a data base of all titanium alloys and their sources?
Old 22nd November 2022, 09:47 AM   #48
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Gord_in_Toronto View Post
I think the process must have been pretty difficult and convoluted. Is there a data base of all titanium alloys and their sources?
In a youtube video I saw, the investigator said that the titanium alloy was patented by the company in question, but the alloy was never commercially used. So I guess the database would be the patent office.

(Keep in mind that this a private investigation rather than an FBI thing, and its not the first time the person involved claimed that he found the culprit. I mean, it makes sense, but we don't know how much verification he has done.)

We are Groot - Groot
Old 30th November 2022, 03:56 PM   #49
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

We now know what happned to DB Cooper: He was Loki in disguise.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2022, 08:48 PM   #50
Warp12
Banned

Originally Posted by Roger Ramjets View Post
They look very similar to me.

I agree; and the shape of the face is fairly unique.

I'm not suggesting anything other than that, though.

Last edited by Warp12; 30th November 2022 at 08:49 PM.
Warp12 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » History, Literature, and the Arts