IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags apollo hoax , moon landing hoax

Old 23rd January 2014, 07:02 AM   #641
John Jones
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by justintime View Post
The only reason conspiracy theories are necessary is because they provide an alternate explanation when the original one cannot pass the mustard test.[...]

Muster, not mustard. Pass muster.
Old 23rd January 2014, 07:23 AM   #642
rwguinn
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by John Jones View Post
No no no. Often all that can make these "theories" palatable Is lots of mustard-- like CMOT Dibbler's sausage onna bun...
I pointed out that his argument was wrong in every particular, but he rightfully took me to task for attacking only the weak points." Myriad http://forums.randi.org/showthread.php?postid=6853275#post6853275
rwguinn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2014, 07:24 AM   #643
Dcdrac
Philosopher

The only reason conspiracy theories are necessary is because they provide an alternate explanation when the original one cannot pass the mustard test.

1. The Moon Landing. It was well known the Soviets were ahead in the space program and America was lagging behind. The only way to beat the Soviets was to put the American space program of steroids. So all those involved in promoting the space race took them and made a movie of an American astronaut sprinting across the moon surface.

2. JFK assassination. JFK threatened the Soviets to stop their missile shipment to Cuba. or face nuclear retaliation. The Soviets had a simpler way to deal with JFK's belligerent behavior. They hired an assassin and armed him with a $10 rifle to proved there was no need for an escalated nuclear war. That even the leader of the free world's head pops when struck by a 10 cent bullet. It put an end to the nuclear Armageddon at a substantially lower cost.

3. 9/11 attack. Christians have been praying for the second coming of Christ for centuries. A final battle is to take place in the middle-east between the forces of good and evil. Catastrophic destruction and carnage is to be brought upon the region. The Jews and Muslims collaborated to move the battle scene a little closer to the American people looking forward to Armageddon and picked New York to give them a taste of what they were wishing for. Like they say...Be careful what you wish for.

I have many more alternate explanations and none of them are conspiracy theories, they don't have to be.
Finally your real agenda on display, thank you.
Dcdrac is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2014, 07:29 AM   #644
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

The only reason conspiracy theories are necessary is because they provide an alternate explanation when the original one cannot pass the mustard test.

1. The Moon Landing. It was well known the Soviets were ahead in the space program and America was lagging behind. The only way to beat the Soviets was to put the American space program of steroids. So all those involved in promoting the space race took them and made a movie of an American astronaut sprinting across the moon surface.

2. JFK assassination. JFK threatened the Soviets to stop their missile shipment to Cuba. or face nuclear retaliation. The Soviets had a simpler way to deal with JFK's belligerent behavior. They hired an assassin and armed him with a $10 rifle to proved there was no need for an escalated nuclear war. That even the leader of the free world's head pops when struck by a 10 cent bullet. It put an end to the nuclear Armageddon at a substantially lower cost.

3. 9/11 attack. Christians have been praying for the second coming of Christ for centuries. A final battle is to take place in the middle-east between the forces of good and evil. Catastrophic destruction and carnage is to be brought upon the region. The Jews and Muslims collaborated to move the battle scene a little closer to the American people looking forward to Armageddon and picked New York to give them a taste of what they were wishing for. Like they say...Be careful what you wish for.

I have many more alternate explanations and none of them are conspiracy theories, they don't have to be.
Ahh, a peek inside the fundie craziness that ties 9/11 et al. to Millennialism. Scott Sommers, take note.

If only one day that Apocalyptic woo well would run dry...
Old 23rd January 2014, 08:04 AM   #645
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Anders Lindman View Post
"Airbrushing has long been used to alter photographs in the pre-digital era." -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airbrush#Photo_retouching
Proof by Wikipedia, I see. The section contains no references, and simply asserts that examples of photo manipulation (which are indeed prevalent throughout history) have been "airbrushed."

I, on the other hand, and several others in this thread, actually use airbrushes for what they're intended. And, separately, we also know how to actually retouch photos, and we've done it before. If you have a print the size of, oh, say, a movie poster, then airbrushing might be suggested. But I'd love to see you airbrush anything of significance on a 60 millimeter transparency. For that you need very small brushes and picks; the airbrush simply exudes too broad a stream at any nozzle setting.
JayUtah is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2014, 08:53 AM   #646
ComfySlippers
Banned

Where do I take this mustard test? Sounds tasty.
ComfySlippers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2014, 09:21 AM   #647
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by rwguinn View Post
No no no. Often all that can make these "theories" palatable Is lots of mustard-- like CMOT Dibbler's sausage onna bun...

I was going to go with, "If it's got enough mustard on it, some people will swallow anything!"
Old 23rd January 2014, 09:38 AM   #648
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

Originally Posted by ComfySlippers View Post
Where do I take this mustard test? Sounds tasty.
I take it occasionally at lunch. I will be asked to "Please pass the mustard". I have yet to fail, although being occasionally clumsy, I admit it is possible.
Old 23rd January 2014, 09:46 AM   #649
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

That's conspiracy thinking in a nutshell. "Cannot pass the mustard test" is set up as some arbitrary standard of credibility, usually in complete ignorance of history or fact. An "alternate" explanation is held as some kind of default that holds when the "official" story fails to meet that arbitrary standard.

The problem is that when the alternate explanation is itself evaluated against the same "mustard test," (or, more often, against a very much lower standard) it fails even more egregiously. The line of reasoning you advocate here is consummately fallacious. It suggests that one theory prevails without that theory ever having been tested, simply because some other theory has treacherously been made to seem less true. It evades a meaningful test of validity for the proffered belief.

Quote:
1. The Moon Landing. It was well known the Soviets were ahead in the space program and America was lagging behind.
Nope. That is commonly believed among Moon hoax conspiracy theorists, but it's simply factually false. By the time Apollo 11 was launched, the United States actually had a three-to-one superiority over the Soviets in manned hours spent in space, a greater success rate at booster launches, and objectively more innovative technology.

Conspiracy theorists generally cut their analysis off at about 1962 and ignore everything that happened during the 1960s themselves, which was a well-documented set of game-changing events. The Soviet space program faltered because Krushchev was obsessed with setting records, not with actually building a viable space program. While this got them a few early records, it was not a sustainable effort.

Quote:
2. JFK assassination. [snip] It put an end to the nuclear Armageddon at a substantially lower cost.
The evidence attached to Oswald alone is to explain his actions. There is no need to suppose that anyone else hired him to kill Kennedy for some broader political purpose. Further, the "nuclear Armageddon" threat did not end with the Cuban missile crisis. It continued through the proxy war in Vietnam, through the escalation with Reagan's ABM treaty violation, and finally ended with the fall of the Soviet Union precipitated by the admission that they just couldn't keep up with escalating nuclear arms race.

The notion that the threat of nuclear war ended in the autumn of 1963 in Dallas is a pretty imaginative view of the subsequent history.

Quote:
3. 9/11 attack. [snip]...Be careful what you wish for.
So the Jews and Muslims, both apparently and inexplicably accepting that the apocalyptic belief promulgated by some Christians is an historical inevitability, agree in secret to set aside their own millennia-old conflict and conspire to punish the Americans (because, obviously, that's where all Christians live) for that religious belief.

And somehow only the Muslims are getting punished for it, which wouldn't at all compel them to reveal their collaboration with the Jews in order to avoid sole responsibility for that uneasy and unprecedented alliance.

Quote:
It's not clear whether you're claiming the Moon landings were a hoax, but it's fairly obvious that your other two are conspiracy theories.
JayUtah is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2014, 10:32 AM   #650
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Matthew Ellard View Post
Phew! There's a challenge. Airbrushing 2,000,000 16mm film frames to fake moon landing footage. That guy must be the best and fastest airbrush artist in the entire universe!

I use an Aztek double action, Tamiya acrylics and thinners. Unless a white dove sits in the tree in the backyard, the augers will be wrong and the bloody Aztek will splatter, spit water, blow Dunkel Gelb back into my eyes, bubble in the cup or spray at 45 degrees to where I'm aiming.
There's your mistake, Tamiya. I always use Vallejo Acrylic or Xracolor Enamel.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2014, 11:08 AM   #651
tsig
a carbon based life-form

Originally Posted by LSSBB View Post
I take it occasionally at lunch. I will be asked to "Please pass the mustard". I have yet to fail, although being occasionally clumsy, I admit it is possible.
You won't be able to cut the mustard?
tsig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2014, 11:59 AM   #652
turingtest
Mistral, mistral wind...

Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
I was going to go with, "If it's got enough mustard on it, some people will swallow anything!"
I took it as a cleverly-veiled (that's our justintime!) reference to the character Colonel Mustard in the board game "Clue." According to Wikipedia:
Quote:
Colonel Mustard is the stock character of a great white hunter and colonial imperialist. He is usually a military man both dignified and dangerous.
I mean, c'mon...follow the dots, people! Does it need to be any plainer that this is just the sort of character who would be up to such devious shenanigans as the Moon Landing, the JFK assassination, and 9/11? And who better to tip us off to these shenanigans than someone (like justintime) who can't understand why you can't eat more of a pie than you have?

Life was a short shelf that came with bookends- Stephen King
turingtest is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2014, 12:35 PM   #653
turingtest
Mistral, mistral wind...

Originally Posted by JayUtah View Post
That's conspiracy thinking in a nutshell. "Cannot pass the mustard test" is set up as some arbitrary standard of credibility, usually in complete ignorance of history or fact. An "alternate" explanation is held as some kind of default that holds when the "official" story fails to meet that arbitrary standard.

The problem is that when the alternate explanation is itself evaluated against the same "mustard test," (or, more often, against a very much lower standard) it fails even more egregiously. The line of reasoning you advocate here is consummately fallacious. It suggests that one theory prevails without that theory ever having been tested, simply because some other theory has treacherously been made to seem less true. It evades a meaningful test of validity for the proffered belief.

Nope. That is commonly believed among Moon hoax conspiracy theorists, but it's simply factually false. By the time Apollo 11 was launched, the United States actually had a three-to-one superiority over the Soviets in manned hours spent in space, a greater success rate at booster launches, and objectively more innovative technology.

Conspiracy theorists generally cut their analysis off at about 1962 and ignore everything that happened during the 1960s themselves, which was a well-documented set of game-changing events. The Soviet space program faltered because Krushchev was obsessed with setting records, not with actually building a viable space program. While this got them a few early records, it was not a sustainable effort.

The evidence attached to Oswald alone is to explain his actions. There is no need to suppose that anyone else hired him to kill Kennedy for some broader political purpose. Further, the "nuclear Armageddon" threat did not end with the Cuban missile crisis. It continued through the proxy war in Vietnam, through the escalation with Reagan's ABM treaty violation, and finally ended with the fall of the Soviet Union precipitated by the admission that they just couldn't keep up with escalating nuclear arms race.

The notion that the threat of nuclear war ended in the autumn of 1963 in Dallas is a pretty imaginative view of the subsequent history.

So the Jews and Muslims, both apparently and inexplicably accepting that the apocalyptic belief promulgated by some Christians is an historical inevitability, agree in secret to set aside their own millennia-old conflict and conspire to punish the Americans (because, obviously, that's where all Christians live) for that religious belief.

And somehow only the Muslims are getting punished for it, which wouldn't at all compel them to reveal their collaboration with the Jews in order to avoid sole responsibility for that uneasy and unprecedented alliance.

It's not clear whether you're claiming the Moon landings were a hoax, but it's fairly obvious that your other two are conspiracy theories.
Huh- that "conspiracy thinking in a nutshell" (especially the bolded part) reminds me of another group of folks who "think" the same way (begins with a "c" and ends with "reationist"-); it's no surprise that JiT is both. Anybody who can believe anything is possible will believe everything is- that's the momentum of woo.

On the Moon Landing- it's hard to tell just what JiT is asserting here- that the folks at NASA "took them" (steroids, I think), to "beat the Soviets"- then contented themselves with faking a movie of a Moon-walking astronaut? In any case, it certainly seems like the sort of thing that the Soviets, being in such fierce competition with us, would just let pass, right? "Oh, those crazy Americans!! Ha! Let it go, comrade!"

On JFK- it seems that JiT is conflating the Cuban Missile Crisis of Oct 1962 with the assassination of over a year later as if they happened simultaneously; and that the Soviets decided that the best way "to deal with JFK's belligerent behavior" was to shoot him a year after it. (Not much on preventive maintenance, those Soviets) And, in order to "prove there was no need for an escalated nuclear war," they very sensibly took a step that would almost surely have led to one if their role in it was discovered.

I can't really follow his 9/11 scenario at all (more like I can't be bothered to try).

Last edited by turingtest; 23rd January 2014 at 12:41 PM. Reason: emboldening
turingtest is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2014, 12:45 PM   #654
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by turingtest View Post
On the Moon Landing- it's hard to tell just what JiT is asserting here- that the folks at NASA "took them" (steroids, I think), to "beat the Soviets"- then contented themselves with faking a movie of a Moon-walking astronaut?
He doesn't explicitly claim they faked the photographic evidence.

The steroid metaphor is apt, though. The Apollo project was well funded, impeccably documented, and was prefaced by the Gemini project which had no other goal than to learn how to do things in space preparatory to a landing on the Moon. Justintime is correct in saying that landing on the Moon within 10 years would require an enormous effort. Good thing we have the evidence of just such an enormous effort.

Quote:
On JFK- it seems...
Yes, as I mentioned in the preamble, most of these "alternative" theories require a pretty hefty ignorance of fact, history, and logic.

Quote:
I can't really follow his 9/11 scenario at all (more like I can't be bothered to try).
Don't. It makes zero sense.
Old 23rd January 2014, 01:04 PM   #655
aggle-rithm
Ardent Formulist

And the Soviets, who carefully monitored the trip to the moon, never said anything. Huh.

Maybe they were afraid they would lose their jobs.

Woo's razor: Never attribute to stupidity that which can be adequately explained by aliens.
aggle-rithm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2014, 01:08 PM   #656
turingtest
Mistral, mistral wind...

He doesn't explicitly claim they faked the photographic evidence.
True. But given that his original assertion (about the Moon Landing) was made in the context of "provid[ing] an alternate explanation when the original one cannot pass the mustard test," and that yours is the original (and sensible) one, I don't think an inference of "faked," from "made a movie of an American astronaut sprinting across the moon surface" as the alternate explanation, is unwarranted.

I guess JiT could clear this up though, if he wanted to- it's hard enough sometimes to understand what he's saying, never mind trying to know what he's thinking. So, what say you, Justin- do you think the Moon Landing (and the photographic evidence for it) was faked?

Last edited by turingtest; 23rd January 2014 at 01:10 PM. Reason: clarify
Old 23rd January 2014, 01:14 PM   #657
justintime
Banned

Quote:
1. The Moon Landing. It was well known the Soviets were ahead in the space program and America was lagging behind. The only way to beat the Soviets was to put the American space program of on steroids. So all those involved in promoting the space race took them and made a movie of an American astronaut sprinting across the moon surface.
Originally Posted by aggle-rithm View Post
And the Soviets, who carefully monitored the trip to the moon, never said anything. Huh.

Maybe they were afraid they would lose their jobs.
The Soviets were more concerned of the edge Americans would have over them with the use of steroids in more earthy sports like the Olympics. Lance Armstrong is a good example of Russian concern.

Last edited by justintime; 23rd January 2014 at 01:15 PM.
justintime is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2014, 01:18 PM   #658
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

The Soviets were more concerned of the edge Americans would have over them with the use of steroids in more earthy sports like the Olympics. Lance Armstrong is a good example of Russian concern.
Do you seriously intend this to be the answer to the question?
Old 23rd January 2014, 01:22 PM   #659
A'isha
Miss Schoolteacher

Do you seriously intend this to be the answer to the question?
What, you mean it doesn't make perfect sense for the Soviets to keep their knowledge that the US faked the moon landings totally a secret because they were more focused on the illicit doping activities of an athlete who wasn't even born until two years after the first moon landing took place?

"Does [A'isha] want to end up in a gas chamber, I wonder? Because this is where the whole thing will end" - McHrozni
A'isha is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2014, 01:31 PM   #660
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

It sounds like Justintime is saying the U.S. space program was literally on steroids -- as in, the pharmaceuticals.

How that would rationally relate to, well, anything is mind-boggling. Lance Armstrong? Neil Armstrong? How can this be anything except a chain-yank?
Old 23rd January 2014, 01:39 PM   #661
aggle-rithm
Ardent Formulist

The Soviets were more concerned of the edge Americans would have over them with the use of steroids in more earthy sports like the Olympics.
They told you this, did they?

So they weren't particularly concerned about the threat of space-travel technology being used to develop ICBM's. It was the Olympics?

Thanks for the history lesson! Quite enlightening.

Woo's razor: Never attribute to stupidity that which can be adequately explained by aliens.

Last edited by aggle-rithm; 23rd January 2014 at 01:46 PM.
aggle-rithm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th January 2014, 07:24 AM   #662
Dcdrac
Philosopher

lance Armstrong was he even born when the Eagle landed on the moon?
Dcdrac is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th January 2014, 10:26 AM   #663
A'isha
Miss Schoolteacher

Originally Posted by Dcdrac View Post
lance Armstrong was he even born when the Eagle landed on the moon?
Nope. Lance Armstrong was born on September 18, 1971, more than two years after the Eagle landed on July 20, 1969.

"Does [A'isha] want to end up in a gas chamber, I wonder? Because this is where the whole thing will end" - McHrozni
A'isha is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th January 2014, 12:26 PM   #664
Peter May
Graduate Poster

Well, the orange soil the NASA astronauts supposedly found on the moon looked orange. No polarization there. My explanation is that they used black-and-white backgrounds of ordinary Earth sand (both in studios and in outdoor desert Earth landscapes), and pasted color foregrounds objects onto that.
The orange soil was probably caused by an ancient "fire fountain".
Source NASA.

Between 1969, and 1972, twelve American astronauts landed on the Moon, and returned safely to Earth.

The arguments put foreward by yourself, and others as to why American astronauts did not land on the Moon, or otherwise seeks to undermine the factual evidence, does nothing whatsoever to change this fact, and should only be only considered in the context of how little, you, and your equally misinformed peers seem to know of the Apollo project in general, and of it’s many complex sciences in particular, including the science of colour photography, how colour information can be best recorded, not to mention any problems the Chinese may have had with their camera system. This is where your questions should be addressed, and formed in the context of this ignorance, not as statements of fact, they are irrelevant, at best trivial, they do nothing to shake the Apollo record,
NASA state the following;

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/LR...r_moon_prt.htm

“Colors on the Moon are dominantly controlled by variations in iron and titanium content. The mare regions have low reflectance because they contain relatively high amounts of iron oxide (FeO). Some mare basalts contain unusually high amounts of titanium oxide (TiO2) in addition to iron oxide, making for even lower reflectance. TiO2 also shifts the color of the mare from red to blue”.

Why is the Chinese Moon brown-ish? Most probably electronic-al, not conspiratorial.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-6RrhotT94

P.S. Have you contacted the Chinese National Space Administration, probably not, however their “Contact us” page is on the blink, more conspiracies?

What remains is to ask the question, what possible rational reasons do you have to want to bring the Apollo record into doubt?

Science cannot be changed by the will of fools.
It is most important to truly understand the nature of what we see, not what we want to see.
Peter May is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th January 2014, 05:17 AM   #665
SpitfireIX
Philosopher

Originally Posted by John Jones View Post

Justin might also have been referring to "cut the mustard," an idiom for being adequate for a task or purpose. But it's definitely an odd construction.
Old 25th January 2014, 08:32 AM   #666
Dcdrac
Philosopher

I am watching this film maybe NASA used footage from it to fake Apollo 13?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marooned_(film)
Old 25th January 2014, 12:10 PM   #667
Peter May
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by SpitfireIX View Post
Justin might also have been referring to "cut the mustard," an idiom for being adequate for a task or purpose. But it's definitely an odd construction.

Your all wrong, what Justintime really means by;

“Cannot pass the Mustard test”, is a reference to a little known British spacecraft design with the acronym M.U.S.T.A.R.D a space craft design proposed by BAC. (British Aircraft Corparation)

“BAC proposed the MUSTARD winged vehicle design (Multi-Unit Space Transport and Recovery Device) could place 5,000 lb. (2,268 kg) payloads into orbit. Two of the units would act as boosters to launch the third into orbit. They would be stacked for launch and would feed any excess fuel to the unit which was to become the spacecraft. At 150,000 to 200,000 ft. (45,720 to 60,960 m.) the boost units would separate and land in aircraft fashion. After placing its payload into orbit the spacecraft unit would return similarly”.

http://www.unrealaircraft.com/wings/bac_mustard.php

Problem was, after a government review the design was deemed to, "Not to cut the Mustard", and consequently, funding was cut for the MUSTARD!

A European version was also proposed, called “Moutarde”, this further confused the UK government, and was similarly cancelled.

Last edited by Peter May; 25th January 2014 at 12:36 PM.
Peter May is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th January 2014, 08:23 PM   #668
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Peter May View Post
Your all wrong, what Justintime really means by;

“Cannot pass the Mustard test”, is a reference to a little known British spacecraft design with the acronym M.U.S.T.A.R.D a space craft design proposed by BAC. (British Aircraft Corparation)

“BAC proposed the MUSTARD winged vehicle design (Multi-Unit Space Transport and Recovery Device) could place 5,000 lb. (2,268 kg) payloads into orbit. Two of the units would act as boosters to launch the third into orbit. They would be stacked for launch and would feed any excess fuel to the unit which was to become the spacecraft. At 150,000 to 200,000 ft. (45,720 to 60,960 m.) the boost units would separate and land in aircraft fashion. After placing its payload into orbit the spacecraft unit would return similarly”.

http://www.unrealaircraft.com/wings/bac_mustard.php

Problem was, after a government review the design was deemed to, "Not to cut the Mustard", and consequently, funding was cut for the MUSTARD!

A European version was also proposed, called “Moutarde”, this further confused the UK government, and was similarly cancelled.
The only British programme that ever used this arrangement successfully was the Thunderbirds!!
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th January 2014, 08:39 PM   #669
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Oh bollocks.

The main reason the Soviets fell behind was because they put all their faith in the N1 rocket, a design that was flawed from the very outset...

Read this link

http://jalopnik.com/this-insane-rock...e-i-1448356326

Now go and get yourself a real education regarding the history of manned flight to the moon, rather than listening to the insane ravings of Bill Kaysing, Jarrah White, Bart Sibrel, Jack White and other associated nut-jobs like them!
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th January 2014, 10:07 PM   #670
Dr. Lao
Critical Thinker

Please tell me how many successful launches there were of the Soviet N1 rocket?

They weren't ahead, only one of your many many lies.
Being a Conspiracy Theorist is easy, you never have to provide proof, you only demand that others disprove you. And when they do disprove you, you can accuse them of being part of the conspiracy, and make up a new one.
Dr. Lao is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th January 2014, 11:12 PM   #671
Jrrarglblarg

Elvis Justintime has left the building.

Just thought you should know why your comments will get no response.
Jrrarglblarg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th January 2014, 01:27 AM   #672
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ApolloGnomon View Post
Elvis Justintime has left the building.

Just thought you should know why your comments will get no response.

Oh, hes been banned again!
Old 26th January 2014, 03:41 PM   #673
Bitsko
Scholar

Maybe I missed something, but I don't see what any of this has to do with Stanley Kubrick having faked D.W. Griffith's death.

Last edited by Bitsko; 26th January 2014 at 03:47 PM.
Bitsko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2014, 04:59 AM   #674
mike3
Master Poster

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Oh, hes been banned again!
AAAARGH!

I was hoping to have some fun debating here!
“Ego is subversive and devolutionary, truly destructive and terrible; ego is the generator of privilege, established institutions, and comfortable habit. Ego is the fire that burns within the pit of hell, devouring and consuming everything that enters and leaving utterly nothing behind. Ego is horrible, cruel, and restraining, the darkness of the world, and the doom and bane of man.” – my reaction to that famous Bertrand Russell quote.
mike3 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2014, 02:19 PM   #675
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Dcdrac View Post
I am watching this film maybe NASA used footage from it to fake Apollo 13?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marooned_(film)
Well at least they didn't use the movie "Countdown" to fake Apollo 11.

Look at the "Lunar Module" from that movie

A Gemini Capsule perched on atop an Apollo LM descent stage!
Old 2nd February 2014, 03:26 PM   #676
Garrison
Philosopher

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Well at least they didn't use the movie "Countdown" to fake Apollo 11.

A Gemini Capsule perched on atop an Apollo LM descent stage!
Inspired by this probably:

Gemini on the Moon
Old 14th July 2014, 01:47 AM   #677
Anders Lindman
Penultimate Amazing

Temperature inside the Apollo capsule

When they supposedly traveled to the moon, the Apollo capsule was exposed to direct sunlight during the whole flight. How could the temperature inside the capsule be kept low enough? Did they point the heat shield towards the sun during the entire flight?
Anders Lindman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th July 2014, 01:58 AM   #678
Kid Eager
Philosopher

When they supposedly traveled to the moon, the Apollo capsule was exposed to direct sunlight during the whole flight. How could the temperature inside the capsule be kept low enough? Did they point the heat shield towards the sun during the entire flight?
What makes you think that the temperature had to be kept low?
Old 14th July 2014, 02:13 AM   #679
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

One side of the capsule faced the sun, getting heated, the other side faced the 2degK of deep space and was cooled. The resultant temperature is the result of proper distribution of reflective surfaces.

This is not just an Apollo issue, this applies to ALL space-craft. Are you implying that ALL space activities, including communication and weather sattelites are hoaxes?

Hans
Old 14th July 2014, 02:18 AM   #680
Anders Lindman
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Kid Eager View Post
What makes you think that the temperature had to be kept low?
For the astronauts to survive. I found this:

"The entire basic structure is enveloped by thermal insulation and a micrometeorite shield." -- pp. 2: http://www.hq.nasa.gov/alsj/LM04_Lun...e_ppLV1-17.pdf

Ok, may have been enough, but the document also mentions active thermal control, pp. 7:

"Active thermal control is provided by the ECS."

The capsule is traveling in the vacuum of empty space. How is the extra heat removed? By expelling hot gas/liquid out into space?
Anders Lindman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories