IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags apollo hoax , moon landing hoax

Old 14th July 2014, 02:21 AM   #681
Anders Lindman
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by MRC_Hans View Post
One side of the capsule faced the sun, getting heated, the other side faced the 2degK of deep space and was cooled. The resultant temperature is the result of proper distribution of reflective surfaces.

This is not just an Apollo issue, this applies to ALL space-craft. Are you implying that ALL space activities, including communication and weather sattelites are hoaxes?

Hans
All manned spacecraft seem suspicious to me. The International Space Station is definitely real, but I think it's unmanned.
Anders Lindman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th July 2014, 02:31 AM   #682
Anders Lindman
Penultimate Amazing

Ok, let's say that the heat insulation was enough for traveling to the moon and back, but what about the reentry into Earth's atmosphere? The claim that a heat shield could protect the astronauts seems dubious to me. The Apollo capsule would have burned up in its entirety! Like a meteorite.
Anders Lindman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th July 2014, 02:37 AM   #683
tsig
a carbon based life-form

Originally Posted by Anders Lindman View Post
For the astronauts to survive. I found this:

"The entire basic structure is enveloped by thermal insulation and a micrometeorite shield." -- pp. 2: http://www.hq.nasa.gov/alsj/LM04_Lun...e_ppLV1-17.pdf

Ok, may have been enough, but the document also mentions active thermal control, pp. 7:

"Active thermal control is provided by the ECS."

The capsule is traveling in the vacuum of empty space. How is the extra heat removed? By expelling hot gas/liquid out into space?
True, astronaut farts kept the capsule cool.
tsig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th July 2014, 02:42 AM   #684
Anders Lindman
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by tsig View Post
True, astronaut farts kept the capsule cool.
MRC_Hans' answer seems more plausible. That one side of the capsule was cool. Radiation of heat out while no radiation absorption since it was the shadow side.
Old 14th July 2014, 02:46 AM   #685
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

The capsule is traveling in the vacuum of empty space. How is the extra heat removed? By expelling hot gas/liquid out into space?
By radiation. Space is very good at absorbing radiation.

Hans
Old 14th July 2014, 02:47 AM   #686
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

Ok, let's say that the heat insulation was enough for traveling to the moon and back, but what about the reentry into Earth's atmosphere? The claim that a heat shield could protect the astronauts seems dubious to me. The Apollo capsule would have burned up in its entirety! Like a meteorite.
No. Read up on this stuff if you really wanna know. Right now you are just brandishing your own ignorance.

Hans
Old 14th July 2014, 02:48 AM   #687
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

All manned spacecraft seem suspicious to me. The International Space Station is definitely real, but I think it's unmanned.
Well, I think the rules here forbid me to say what that makes you.

Hans
Old 14th July 2014, 02:53 AM   #688
Erock
Muse

Passive Thermal Control, christened the BBQ roll.

Google it, education is a wonderful thing. All these "seems to me" comments from you indicate your world view is fairly simplistic and in need of enlightenment.
Old 14th July 2014, 02:55 AM   #689
Anders Lindman
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by MRC_Hans View Post
No. Read up on this stuff if you really wanna know. Right now you are just brandishing your own ignorance.

Hans
I read that the Apollo capsule had a reentry speed of about 7 km/s. That sounds like a lot. And it had a path with a certain exact angle. Excuse me, that seems implausible. How could the capsule be kept from wobbling while holding a precise attack angle? I don't buy it. No tiny steering rockets would be be able to do much in the immense atmospheric onslaught. And since the capsule traveled at an angle, gravity would have pulled on it sideways. Again, wobble time.
Old 14th July 2014, 03:23 AM   #690
Kid Eager
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Erock View Post
Passive Thermal Control, christened the BBQ roll.

Google it, education is a wonderful thing. All these "seems to me" comments from you indicate your world view is fairly simplistic and in need of enlightenment.
I think Google is slightly off on this point. The maneuver was called a Passive Thermal Roll, which was the mechanism for achieving passive thermal control.
Old 14th July 2014, 03:26 AM   #691
Professor Yaffle
Butterbeans and Breadcrumbs

http://www.howmanypeopleareinspacerightnow.com/
Professor Yaffle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th July 2014, 03:30 AM   #692
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

I read that the Apollo capsule had a reentry speed of about 7 km/s. That sounds like a lot. And it had a path with a certain exact angle. Excuse me, that seems implausible. How could the capsule be kept from wobbling while holding a precise attack angle? I don't buy it. No tiny steering rockets would be be able to do much in the immense atmospheric onslaught. And since the capsule traveled at an angle, gravity would have pulled on it sideways. Again, wobble time.
No rockets needed at all. The CM was an aerodynamic lifting body by design.

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th July 2014, 03:40 AM   #693
Anders Lindman
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
No rockets needed at all. The CM was an aerodynamic lifting body by design.
Traveling through a cool breeze is different than being enveloped by a chaotic ball of plasma.
Old 14th July 2014, 03:47 AM   #694
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Traveling through a cool breeze is different than being enveloped by a chaotic ball of plasma.
Google ablative heat shield.

abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th July 2014, 04:14 AM   #695
Cylinder
Philosopher

It did burn up in the atomsphere like a meteorite. That's how it was designed.
If you will not fight for the right when you can easily win without bloodshed ; if you will not fight when your victory will be sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than live as slaves. - Winston Churchill, The Gathering Storm
Cylinder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th July 2014, 05:30 AM   #696
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

I checked with the space alien controlled Vatican and they assured me that all manned spacecraft are actually manned by Good AIs and/or Evil AIs, therefore one does not have to be terribly concerned about enviromental controls on spacecraft.

A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th July 2014, 05:37 AM   #697
Anders Lindman
Penultimate Amazing

Google ablative heat shield.
"The ablative heat shield functions by lifting the hot shock layer gas away from the heat shield's outer wall (creating a cooler boundary layer)." -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ablativ...hield#Ablative

So now we have even more nonlinearity in addition to the chaotic plasma: an ablative shield that whips away gas in unpredictable directions.

And I think the claim of the heat shield being enough is fiction. The Space Shuttle reentry probably never happened, and instead it was launched from a Boeing 747 and glided to the landing place, with the audience believing the shuttle had come intact from space, lol.
Old 14th July 2014, 05:40 AM   #698
Anders Lindman
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Cylinder View Post
It did burn up in the atomsphere like a meteorite. That's how it was designed.
Without tumbling through the air? I doubt that. Had the concept been tested in practice before it was used?
Old 14th July 2014, 05:45 AM   #699
threadworm
Graduate Poster

Without tumbling through the air? I doubt that. Had the concept been tested in practice before it was used?
Yes.

Your disbelief is both unsurprising and inadequate as a premise for proof.

Go away and read some books, there are goats heading for your bridge,

Apollo Hoax Debunked
threadworm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th July 2014, 05:46 AM   #700
Spindrift
Time Person of the Year, 2006

Of course not, NASA never practiced anything in order to save money. They simply took their best guess and amazingly it usually worked out. But then again they did have a head start with all the info from the Roswell spacecraft.
Spindrift is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th July 2014, 05:46 AM   #701
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

And I think the claim of the heat shield being enough is fiction. The Space Shuttle reentry probably never happened, and instead it was launched from a Boeing 747 and glided to the landing place, with the audience believing the shuttle had come intact from space, lol.
How then did they fix the Hubble Space Telescope and perform other servicing missions? Robots?
Old 14th July 2014, 05:54 AM   #702
Spindrift

Originally Posted by GlennB View Post
How then did they fix the Hubble Space Telescope and perform other servicing missions? Robots?
Robots? That's ridiculous. They had about 5 or 6 Hubbles originally built. You think they spent $2.5 billion on just one telescope? It's just a tube and some glass. When problems arose they simply secretly launched a new one into space to replace the defective one. The supposed "repair" videos are all shot at the IMAX studio in Toronto.
Spindrift is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th July 2014, 05:57 AM   #703
Gawdzilla Sama
121.92-meter mutant fire-breathing lizard-thingy

Originally Posted by Kid Eager View Post
I think Google is slightly off on this point. The maneuver was called a Passive Thermal Roll, which was the mechanism for achieving passive thermal control.
The astronauts called it "the rotisserie roll".
Buying conspiracy books is a voluntary tax on stupid.
Gawdzilla Sama is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th July 2014, 06:16 AM   #704
John Jones
Penultimate Amazing

HAHAHAHAHA!
Old 14th July 2014, 06:36 AM   #705
mrbusdriver
Scholar

Anders would be a shining star over there at the site which shall not be named...the one which believes that ALL spaceflight is impossible, ergo, faked.

Proudly ignorant...unbelievable. Anders, there is a LOT of science, engineering, and technology behind spaceflight, You really ought to get at least familiar with some of that before making very outlandish claims and accusations.

Or is this the only way you can get attention in your life...??
mrbusdriver is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th July 2014, 06:51 AM   #706
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Lots of times, yes. Re-entry was old hat by the time of Apollo. Even before manned space flight re-entry was performed many times.

Back before the days of digital, satellites used film fo imagery. How do you suppose those films were recovered?

Old 14th July 2014, 07:01 AM   #707
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Lots of times, yes. Re-entry was old hat by the time of Apollo. Even before manned space flight re-entry was performed many times.

Back before the days of digital, satellites used film fo imagery. How do you suppose those films were recovered?

A very long ladder.

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th July 2014, 07:21 AM   #708
thedopefishlives
Graduate Poster

Streaming.
Old 14th July 2014, 07:27 AM   #709
Regnad Kcin
Penultimate Amazing

What about the loony detector van - would that be manned? Maybe it's one of those new-fangled driverless buggies.
Old 14th July 2014, 07:31 AM   #710
DGM
Skeptic not Atheist

Originally Posted by thedopefishlives View Post
Streaming.
Oh sure. I suppose they just launched a canoe to ride this "stream".

Skeptics.....................

"How many leaves on the seventh branch of the fourth tree?" is meaningless when you are in the wrong forest: ozeco41
DGM is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th July 2014, 07:48 AM   #711
LaurelHS
Muse

Have you read anything about Mercury or Gemini, or did you just brush them off as hoaxes without doing research?
LaurelHS is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th July 2014, 07:54 AM   #712
John Jones
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by LaurelHS View Post
Have you read anything about Mercury or Gemini, or did you just brush them off as hoaxes without doing research?
Anders has admitted that he's a troll.
Old 14th July 2014, 08:09 AM   #713
mrbusdriver
Scholar

Anders, you seem suspicious that the Apollo CM couldn't do what it did.

Fact is, it was a carefully designed basic "lifting body". It was able to maneuver somewhat during reentry to adjust it's descent rate and crossrange course. This was demonstrated in it's "double dip" reentry profile, as well as it's near pinpoint splashdown performance.

It was tested in unmanned flights. It had RCS jets to control roll, pitch and yaw during the reentry. It was designed to come through reentry in a controlled manner.

Your incredulity simply comes from lack of knowledge about the craft, and the technologies to solve the issues of spaceflight. Just because you can't believe how Apollo could "work" doesn't mean that there aren't hundreds of thousands out there who "do" spaceflight for a living...solving all the amazing problems that leave all us mere mortals scratching our heads in wonder...
mrbusdriver is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th July 2014, 08:09 AM   #714
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Originally Posted by Regnad Kcin View Post
What about the loony detector van - would that be manned?

Yes, by civil servants from the Ministry of Housinge.

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th July 2014, 08:40 AM   #715
Spindrift

Originally Posted by LaurelHS View Post
Research is irrelevant to the Anders Method which is a highly refined system of trolling. The method oftentimes includes citing other sources but then making statements that are the opposite of what is being cited. Another principal is the liberal use of phrases like "It doesn't make sense to me.", "I doubt that.", "I don't buy that." and "X seems suspicious to me." The method has been perfected to the point that Anders is semi-officially disqualified from the Stundies for being a professional.
Old 14th July 2014, 08:44 AM   #716
Rincewind
Philosopher

Oh, goody!

More fantasy!

I love fantasy, me...

Rincewind is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th July 2014, 10:07 AM   #717
JohnG
Pedantic Bore

Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
Yes, by civil servants from the Ministry of Housinge.

Housinge?
Old 14th July 2014, 10:15 AM   #718
Anders Lindman
Penultimate Amazing

Reentry with astronauts and at the same high reentry speed?

Besides:

"The Lunar Orbiters were all eventually commanded to crash on the Moon before their attitude control fuel ran out so they would not present navigational or communications hazards to later Apollo flights." -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lunar_Orbiter_program

Satellites with ordinary chemical film? I didn't know that. Did those satellites have heat shields for reentry into the atmosphere? That may have been possible, but those were all unmanned.

Ha! You are pulling my leg. The satellite photos were sent to Earth via radio:

"Explorer 6, or S-2, was an American satellite launched on August 7, 1959. It was a small, spheroidal satellite designed to study trapped radiation of various energies, galactic cosmic rays, geomagnetism, radio propagation in the upper atmosphere, and the flux of micrometeorites. It also tested a scanning device designed for photographing the Earth's cloud cover, and transmitted the first pictures of Earth from orbit.[1][2]" -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Explorer_6

Last edited by Anders Lindman; 14th July 2014 at 10:25 AM.
Old 14th July 2014, 10:22 AM   #719
Wolrab
Illuminator

Originally posted by Anders Lindman
Quote:
This message is hidden because Anders Lindman is on your ignore list.
Good point. If only NASA geeks would have used what they learned from previous missions to design the cameras to not fail in the same way. They could then upgrade the cameras after every mission as a way of ensuring the best possible outcomes.
"Such reports are usually based on the sighting of something the sighters cannot explain and that they (or someone else on their behalf) explain as representing an interstellar spaceship-often by saying "But what else can it be?" as though thier own ignorance is a decisive factor." Isaac Asimov
Wolrab is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th July 2014, 10:24 AM   #720
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

I didn't know that.
That's the essence of this entire thread. There are many things you don't know about space and engineering for that environment. Until you've corrected that deficiency, no amount of doubt on you part constitutes anything that the rest of the world is obliged to grant attention.
JayUtah is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories