IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump controversies

Old 2nd April 2022, 02:05 PM   #1601
mgidm86
Philosopher

Originally Posted by SteveAitch View Post
An unfortunate golfing 'accident'?

Yes, please.
mgidm86 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2022, 07:08 PM   #1602
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

I suppose all those Trump appointed judges need to recuse themselves from any Trump related trials or lawsuits?

Quote:
Lawyers for former President Donald Trump are asking a federal judge appointed by President Bill Clinton to step aside from a suit Trump filed last month claiming that Hillary Clinton and her political allies engaged in a racketeering conspiracy to falsely accuse Trump of colluding with Russia to gain support in the 2016 U.S. presidential election.

Court records show U.S. District Court Judge Donald Middlebrooks was assigned to the suit on March 24, the same day Trump’s attorneys filed the case in the Southern District of Florida, where Trump currently resides.

Trump lawyers Alina Habba and Peter Ticktin contend that Middlebrooks could be seen as biased because Bill Clinton chose him for the federal court bench in 1997.
https://www.politico.com/news/2022/0...inton-00022832
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2022, 07:23 PM   #1603
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

I think they shouldn't recuse themselves.
Old 8th April 2022, 06:18 AM   #1604
eerok
Quixoticist

Looks like it's still on...

Manhattan DA Breaks Silence After Sudden Resignations of Prosecutors on Trump Investigation (lawandcrime.com)
Quote:
A little more than a month after two of his top prosecutors resigned in protest, Manhattan District Attorney Alvin Bragg (D) broke his silence on Thursday to insist that his criminal investigation into the Trump Organization continues. He also vowed to issue a public statement at the time of the probe’s conclusion.
Old 8th April 2022, 06:24 AM   #1605
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Have thought of setting the "Trump is Just the Poor Victim of Democrat Witch Hunts" meme to music? Something catchy with a good beat that could be sung at his rallies?
Try this.

A fun little marching song.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015

Last edited by Norman Alexander; 8th April 2022 at 06:26 AM.
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th April 2022, 06:45 AM   #1606
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

NY AG urging court to hold Trump in contempt, also confirms Bragg's investigation is ongoing as eerok's does.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...ntempt-request
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th April 2022, 07:09 AM   #1607
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

Have thought of setting the "Trump is Just the Poor Victim of Democrat Witch Hunts" meme to music? Something catchy with a good beat that could be sung at his rallies?
I hope it's as catchy one of my all-time favorites "Benghazi Was Investigated Ten Times in Two Years, You Whiny, Disingenuous Hack".
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th April 2022, 01:07 PM   #1608
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

A lengthy email from Donnie JR. to Mark Meadows on NOV 5, 2020 (before the election had been called for either Trump or Biden) reveals a discussion of ways the GOP could secure Daddy getting another term. This pretty much negates the claim that Trump really believed he'd won the election since this email clearly shows they were conspiring a way to overturn it if he lost since it hadn't even been declared yet.

Quote:
Donald Trump Jr. texted Mark Meadows ideas on how to overturn the 2020 election: report

"We have multiple paths. We control them all," the text message sent on November 5, 2020 read.
Quote:
Donald Trump Jr., former President Donald Trump's eldest son, texted then-White House chief of staff Mark Meadows ideas to overturn the results before most major news networks had called the election, according to a CNN report published Friday.

"It's very simple," Trump Jr. wrote in a text message to Meadows on November 5, 2020, two days before the major news networks declared Joe Biden the winner. "We have multiple paths We control them all."
Quote:
Trump Jr.'s texts advanced a version of lawyer John Eastman's six-point plan to overturn the 2020 election on the joint session of Congress on January 6, 2021.
Eastman had suggested, among other legally baseless theories, that Congress could reject slates of Biden electors at the joint session and instead count slates of electors submitted by Trump supporters in seven states that voted for President Joe Biden.

Trump Jr.'s texts also referenced another one of Eastman's ideas for overturning the election, which was to have Congress reject enough slates of electors such that neither Trump nor Biden had a majority of 270 electoral votes, forcing a contingent election where the House of Representatives would vote by state delegation to elect the president.
Quote:
"Republicans control 28 states Democrats 22 states," Trump Jr. said. "Once again Trump wins."
"We either have a vote WE control and WE win OR it gets kicked to Congress 6 January 2021," Trump Jr said.
Trump Jr. also suggested that if none of those plans worked, Congress could simply vote to reinstall Trump for a second term, which is not possible under any existing US election laws.
"We have operational control Total leverage," Trump Jr wrote in a message to Meadows. "Moral High Ground POTUS must start 2nd term now."
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th April 2022, 08:37 AM   #1609
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy View Post
NY AG urging court to hold Trump in contempt, also confirms Bragg's investigation is ongoing as eerok's does.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...ntempt-request
Looks like Bragg's investigation may not be going on much longer:

"Likelihood of Trump Indictment in Manhattan Fades as Grand Jury Wraps Up."

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/04/29/n...rand-jury.html

Althouse summary here:

https://althouse.blogspot.com/2022/0...ctment-in.html
Old 29th April 2022, 08:58 AM   #1610
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

The walls continue to not close in.
Brainster is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th April 2022, 09:01 AM   #1611
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
The walls continue to not close in.
It's not over till the fat lady sings. The NYT article acknowledges that even though this grand jury's term ends soon, Bragg could impanel another one. But the article also warns, "impaneling a new grand jury could create challenges for any potential case. Mr. Trump’s lawyers could argue — and a judge might agree — that prosecutors were inappropriately hunting for a more favorable group of jurors."
Old 29th April 2022, 09:20 AM   #1612
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

Doesn't appear to be anything new in that report? We've known the expiration date of the grand jury for months now.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th April 2022, 09:25 AM   #1613
JoeMorgue
Suspended

At this rate in 100 more years we'll might finally have enough evidence to prove Trump did stuff he openly bragged about doing on National TV and has already been proven a thousand times over.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th April 2022, 09:27 AM   #1614
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Doesn't appear to be anything new in that report? We've known the expiration date of the grand jury for months now.
I think it's a "the news is there is no news" kind of report. Bragg apparently hasn't yet made an effort to impanel a new grand jury, since the issue of the impending expiration of the current jury was first raised months ago. Several key witnesses continue to not be contacted or called to testify, over the months since the issue of the jury's expiration was first reported. Trump's lawyers have shifted out of "war room" mode in recent months since, etc.

People invested in the subject, or simply interested in it, might be asking, "has anything changed, or does it still look like Bragg might be winding down with no indictments?" This report answers those questions.
Old 29th April 2022, 10:53 AM   #1615
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
It's not over till the fat lady sings. The NYT article acknowledges that even though this grand jury's term ends soon, Bragg could impanel another one. But the article also warns, "impaneling a new grand jury could create challenges for any potential case. Mr. Trump’s lawyers could argue — and a judge might agree — that prosecutors were inappropriately hunting for a more favorable group of jurors."
I don't think the fat lady has to sing, only the fat man.

"There is another world, but it's in this one." (Paul Eluard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th April 2022, 11:10 AM   #1616
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

BTW has anyone ever heard before that the current, about to expire, grand jury was unlikely to indict? I haven't heard that before. Everything I've heard so far is that an indictment could have been obtained. In the disagreement between Bragg and Pomerantz it seemed to me that both sides thought an indictment could be obtained. I thought that the argument about Cohen's testimony was that it might not convince a trail jury, not that it would fail in the grand jury proceedings.

BTW Cohen is threatening to stop cooperating if they don't indict soon and by soon he means tomorrow unless the grand jury get an unexpected extension.

https://www.salon.com/2022/04/21/mic...month_partner/
Old 29th April 2022, 12:23 PM   #1617
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

BTW has anyone ever heard before that the current, about to expire, grand jury was unlikely to indict? I haven't heard that before. Everything I've heard so far is that an indictment could have been obtained. In the disagreement between Bragg and Pomerantz it seemed to me that both sides thought an indictment could be obtained. I thought that the argument about Cohen's testimony was that it might not convince a trail jury, not that it would fail in the grand jury proceedings.

BTW Cohen is threatening to stop cooperating if they don't indict soon and by soon he means tomorrow unless the grand jury get an unexpected extension.

https://www.salon.com/2022/04/21/mic...month_partner/
I haven't heard it, but I have inferred it. I expect a lot of other people have drawn the same inference. If a prosecutor says he wants an indictment and thinks he can get an indictment, but lets a grand jury expire without actually getting the indictment, what should carry more weight? What he said? Or the actions he took, and their outcome?
Old 29th April 2022, 12:41 PM   #1618
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Judge has denied Trump's appeal on his civic contempt charge daily 10K fine.
Old 29th April 2022, 12:46 PM   #1619
JoeMorgue
Suspended

Do we know if he's actually paying the fine? Or if he has any intention to start? Or who's going to make him do it if he says no?
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th April 2022, 12:49 PM   #1620
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

I haven't heard it, but I have inferred it. I expect a lot of other people have drawn the same inference. If a prosecutor says he wants an indictment and thinks he can get an indictment, but lets a grand jury expire without actually getting the indictment, what should carry more weight? What he said? Or the actions he took, and their outcome?
That doesn't make sense as a way to answer the question I asked. Both what "he" said and what he did are consistent with both alternative reasons.

And there is not a single "he". We have the opinions of at least four people on both sides of the disagreement and not one said anything I recall about doubt that an indictment could be obtained.
Old 29th April 2022, 12:50 PM   #1621
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Do we know if he's actually paying the fine? Or if he has any intention to start? Or who's going to make him do it if he says no?
He wasn't obligated to pay it while under appeal but that's now gone. I doubt he has any intention of paying and I'd like to know the answer to the last question, too.
Old 29th April 2022, 12:55 PM   #1622
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

That doesn't make sense as a way to answer the question I asked. Both what "he" said and what he did are consistent with both alternative reasons.

And there is not a single "he". We have the opinions of at least four people on both sides of the disagreement and not one said anything I recall about doubt that an indictment could be obtained.
The "he" was notional, to illustrate the concept. The concept being, it doesn't matter whether we've heard any of them say it, we can see the outcome of their actions unfolding in realtime and draw inferences from that regardless of what they say or don't say.

Orwell cautions against the use of cliches, but "actions speak louder than words" seems really apropos here.
Old 29th April 2022, 12:56 PM   #1623
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

He wasn't obligated to pay it while under appeal but that's now gone. I doubt he has any intention of paying and I'd like to know the answer to the last question, too.
Probably the court that ordered it would order some form of asset seizure to achieve compliance.
Old 29th April 2022, 01:41 PM   #1624
Paul2
Philosopher

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Maybe they should hold him in contempt of court if he doesn't pay the fine . . . .

Aristotle, so far as I know, was the first man to proclaim explicitly that man is a rational animal. His reason for this view was one which does not now seem very impressive: it was, that some people can do sums. - Bertrand Russell
Paul2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th April 2022, 02:16 PM   #1625
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Paul2 View Post
Maybe they should hold him in contempt of court if he doesn't pay the fine . . . .
I for one will laugh my ass off if the only jail time Trump does is a few months for contempt.
Old 29th April 2022, 03:03 PM   #1626
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

Which would go to appeal? Is the US legal system truly bottomless?

I would despair about all this, except I pre-despaired some time back.
Old 29th April 2022, 03:21 PM   #1627
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

No doubt he will appeal to a highly court. All the way the the Supreme Court, if necessary.

Delay, delay, delay…
Fast Eddie B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th April 2022, 03:26 PM   #1628
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by GlennB View Post
Which would go to appeal? Is the US legal system truly bottomless?
The appeals process includes some preemption of re-appealing consequences of the ruling already appealed. Plus appeals courts can decline to consider appeals, letting the lower court's ruling stand as-is.

I doubt the US appeals system is any more "bottomless" than the Canadian or UKian or Frenchian or Swedenian systems.

Last edited by theprestige; 29th April 2022 at 03:34 PM.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th April 2022, 03:35 PM   #1629
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Actually, they can and fine him even more.
Old 29th April 2022, 03:36 PM   #1630
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Fast Eddie B View Post
No doubt he will appeal to a highly court. All the way the the Supreme Court, if necessary.

Delay, delay, delay…
LOL. Heaven forbid that a citizen avail themselves of all the due process of law provided to them!
Old 29th April 2022, 03:39 PM   #1631
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

LOL. Heaven forbid that a citizen avail themselves of all the due process of law provided to them!
While I agree with the basic premise of this, Trump is well-known to use every delay tactic at his disposal in lawsuits in hope of wearing the other side down emotionally and financially so they just withdraw or settle out of court.
Old 29th April 2022, 03:52 PM   #1632
Paul2
Philosopher

While I agree with the basic premise of this, Trump is well-known to use every delay tactic at his disposal in lawsuits in hope of wearing the other side down emotionally and financially so they just withdraw or settle out of court.
Exactly as the founders intended! Which Federalist paper was that tactic in?

Aristotle, so far as I know, was the first man to proclaim explicitly that man is a rational animal. His reason for this view was one which does not now seem very impressive: it was, that some people can do sums. - Bertrand Russell
Paul2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th April 2022, 11:50 PM   #1633
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

He has assets a lien can be placed on, among other options.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th April 2022, 12:07 AM   #1634
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
He has assets a lien can be placed on, among other options.
But who will enforce the liens? The question isn't how will the can get kicked down the road again. The question is who will enforce the judgement that's been made. I, like at least two people ahead of me in the thread, want to know the answer.
Old 30th April 2022, 12:22 AM   #1635
Susheel
Illuminator

Oh yes...I am sure that all American citizens have the "privilege" of taking full advantage of the "due process of the law." Or is it only available to those well heeled?
Old 30th April 2022, 06:09 AM   #1636
Crazy Chainsaw
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Susheel View Post
Oh yes...I am sure that all American citizens have the "privilege" of taking full advantage of the "due process of the law." Or is it only available to those well heeled?
The Law is only for those with Money to Pay Lawyers.
Crazy Chainsaw is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th April 2022, 08:36 AM   #1637
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

But who will enforce the liens? The question isn't how will the can get kicked down the road again. The question is who will enforce the judgement that's been made. I, like at least two people ahead of me in the thread, want to know the answer.
What do you mean who will enforce the lien? Do you not know how a lien works?

What Is A Lien, and How Does It Work?

The lien holder gets the money when the property is sold, or a lien holder can force a sale to collect the money.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th April 2022, 09:01 AM   #1638
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

What do you mean who will enforce the lien?
We mean we want the name of the person or organization who is going to do it for crying out loud. BTW if you can read the room, you should realize we want to know when it's going to be done too.

Do you not know how a lien works?
No. I know how a lien works. I'll ask "how does a lien work" when I need to know how a lien works.
Old 30th April 2022, 02:43 PM   #1639
mgidm86
Philosopher

I think that is a valid concern because, as of now, nobody has enforced much of anything regarding Trump. If we don't nail Trump on something soon we may as well hand the keys to the country over to the right and leave.
mgidm86 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th April 2022, 03:22 PM   #1640
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Trump runs up hundreds of thousands of dollars in fines by not paying and having higher and highe fines levied against him.

A lien is put on Mar a Lago.

A sale is forced and Trump is evicted from his Kingdom of Kiss Assery.

Sigh....one can dream....

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics